Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Great work! I love the banners that you gave each game, especially due to the Amano artwork.

Hopefully this thread will see the relase of Versus XIII, but I shouldn't get my hopes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

My first Final Fantasy game was I on the GBA.

What I liked about it included the freedom it gave you in regards to your characters, how their lack of dialogue meant their personalities were entirely up to your imagination, the sense of exploration, the feeling of progression as you acquire new weapons and spells, fight new monsters and discover new dungeons, the simplistic story, the music, the visuals and the battle system.

How little of that applies to Final Fantasy XIII.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

I'd consider this acceptable if he removed the gauntlet and shoulder pad, then re-attached the other piece of his trouser leg. At least, that would put him on par with other JRPG protagonists.

Aesthetics aside, the biggest problem with this outfit is that he is an underwater athlete. Nothing he is wearing is appropriate for Blitzball, especially the hoodie, which would cause an enormous amount of drag. Getting water caught in those overalls isn't going to help either.

The best thing I can say about this picture is that it's drawn well. It's still a poorly-designed garish mismatch of primary colours, but it's still much better than his CG renders.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

One of the many reasons for FFXIII's awfulness was that the FMV's were made long before the story was written, or any of the gameplay had been decided.

That's why Lightning's gravity device breaks a few minutes into the game, only to fix itself near the end of the game where you reach an area that resembles the first trailer, and why even the oldest trailers contain FMV footage identical to the final game.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

pw pw pw posted:

His character designs are just 'blonde gackt', or sometimes just 'gackt'.

http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/1055

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

There was a new SNES add-on chip released recently called the MSU-1, which was designed by the SNES enthusiast byuu. It allows the SNES to access up to 4GB of data, including FMVs and CD-quality audio.

Existing games can be modified to use these, such as Chrono Trigger with the FMVs from the PSX version, or Final Fantasy with music from an orchestral remix.

The opera scene just got better.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Advent Children is a blast to watch as long as you skip all the dialogue, unless it's Reno and Rude talking. The complete version had some moments which really surprised you if you'd only seen the regular version before, especially during the fight with Sephiroth.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

As opposed to FF13-2 literally being made of up bits that they couldn't fit into the first game.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

How else did they manage to poo poo out XIII-2 in 18 months?[/sub]

At this point, I'd prefer it over them more than 6 years to make a game.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Characters like Mog and Cyan...eh.

Them's fightin' words.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

People care about achievements? :v:

To quite a terrifying degree.

All Square Enix needs to do is put an achievement for one of those ridiculous challenge runs from GameFAQs, and people will do it.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

I think I finally understand all the hate for FF13.

The good thing about FFXIII was that, by having strict control over your progression and characters' strength, it had a really satisfying difficulty curve.

It can't be broken or cheesed, but it also doesn't ever put you up against enemies that cannot be defeated without grinding. The exception being Gran Pulse, but you have the freedom to avoid difficult encounters there.

It kind of sucked in XIII-2 how I stumbled into an area early on which was too difficult for my current characters, only to overlevel there and steamroll the rest of the game. However, designing an RPG doesn't require you to choose between customisation and a good difficulty curve, so hopefully we get the option to make the next game more challenging.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The Wii U uses blu-ray discs, doesn't it?

http://www.develop-online.net/news/37932/Nintendo-Wii-U-disc-capacity-at-25GB

The problem with getting this game on the 360 is disc capacity. Either they'll have to horribly compress all the FMVs or remove most of them altogether.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Haha, not a chance. Nobody loves proprietary media formats more than Nintendo does. It's just a disc of similar capacity to actual Blu-Rays.

That's right, although Nintendo's proprietary discs for the Gamecube and Wii were just DVDs, without the licensing. Although the Wii U will use discs with exactly the same capacity and laser as blu-ray, you won't be able to play movies on it.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Why does the guy at the top look so much blockier than everyone else? I thought this was an RPG Maker game at first.

TurnipFritter posted:

e: VV I hope they make it into a real game and it comes out before Versus XIII.

Versus is actually using the lighting from the luminous engine, which is what they're running this tech demo on. It's been over a year since we've seen anything from it, but the lighting was definitely one of its strong points.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Level Slide posted:

I hope this means beautiful flowing hair for everyone in Versus 13.

Rather than having blatant model switching, the only difference between cutscene and gameplay character models is the quality of the hair.

So yes.

(What the hell is wrong with me? I must have every press release from them memorised by now...)

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

VagueRant posted:

I mean there are people who are still looking forward to Versus XIII? Based on what?!

This

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Himuro posted:

Don't play Earthbound; play Mother 3 instead.

A lot of Mother 3's impact depends on you having played Earthbound first, or at least know the whole plot.

On the other hand, the battle system in Mother 3 is excellent, due to the rhythm-based attacks. Tapping the A button in time with the music allows you to score up to 15 more hits which get progressively weaker, although it isn't necessary to beat the game.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Allan Assiduity posted:

As for E3, E3 sucked and no real news came out of it intentionally :)

There's always TGS. And when nothing is announced then, there's always next year's E3.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Himuro posted:

Disagree, Earthbound is boring as poo poo and I never beat it. Beat Mother 3 in three days, by comparison.

Not quite, I never said that Earthbound was a more fun game, just that knowing the story will help you appreciate Mother 3 more, especially in regards to the main villain.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

In Japan, XIII got an international edition which was only released on the Xbox 360. The only changes were the character's dialogue being in English, tweaks to the player character's AI (such as commandos now target the same enemy) and a new easy difficulty.

It's a shame that it wasn't as substantially improved as X and XII were, due to them moving straight on to XIII-2. A few small changes, such as being able to choose the party leader, removing the tutorials and unlocking the whole battle system from the start, offering choice in the Crystarium and re-designing the crafting system would have gone a long way to making it a decent entry in the series.

Not that it would matter, since the international versions hardly ever get released over here.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

The most obnoxious of which was announcing Birth By Sleep's Final Mix a week before the PAL release.

I'm actually playing a translated version of the Final Mix right now. I'm stuck at the final boss of Terra's story, but up to this point it's been one of the best action-RPGs I've ever played.

It started development as a PS2 game and took nearly 5 years to complete, so it's not just some spin-off like the DS games were. The new magic system gives each spell its own recharge time, which allows me to double up on spells like Curaga so I can use them twice as often. Being able to access other characters' spells and abilities for a short time also gives the combat more variety.

There's only one Final Fantasy character in the game, but that's alright since there aren't any Organisation XIII tosspots either. I also like how Terra is being tempted to the darkness, rather than being absolutely perfect like Sora always is.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

If you want some advice on the boss:

Block like a mother fucker. When he melees you, use block/counter-hammer. Dash like crazy when you can, and spam shotlocks - I think it's shadow dash or something like that - for the invincibility frames.

Thanks, it's working really well! Before I could barely do one health bar of damage to him, but on my last attempt I almost beat him. There are some attacks, like the meteorites, that I can't seem to escape at all, but as long as I use my shotlock at the right time, I can stay invincible during most of it.

Edit: I'm done with Terra's story now. It was much easier when I found the right timing to block the meteorites. It took 8 hours, but about one of those was on the final boss.

Playing this has made me really excited for Versus XIII now, because they've shown that they can make a really good action game that isn't bogged down by terrible camera controls, no direction, endless cutscenes, sluggish combat and gummi ships. I've also been going through Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix on hard mode, but it still isn't as good as BBS.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 11, 2012

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

The only downside to BBS is the terrible lock-on which randomly disappears sometimes.
I've only noticed that during the final boss, but the camera does tend to act strangely when you run behind an enemy. Why can't every game use Dark Souls' lock-on system? :sigh:

It was also tricky to change abilities during a fight using the d-pad. This would be solved by playing it on a Vita, but it was never released on the PSN for some reason. The reason I'm playing this now is because I won't get the chance to once I trade my PSP in for a Vita, at least until it gets remade.

Pesky Splinter posted:

If you need any help or anything, just ask :)
Do you have any advice for the command board? I only used it once for my run through with Terra, but I'm not sure how helpful it would have been. It reminds me a lot of Itadaki Street, although it doesn't share many of the same rules.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

This September, Final Fantasy III DS is getting re-released for the PSP in Japan.

Since there's already been an iPhone version, does anybody know if they fixed any of its problems?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Minrad posted:

What problems did 3 have?

Mostly the poorly balanced jobs, the bosses getting two attacks per turn, and the final dungeon.

They somehow made it less fun to play through than the NES version.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

JGBeagle posted:

Looking at all of the character art, it dawned on me that Nomura can't draw wrists.

Looks like those in-game character models were more accurate than I thought.

If Square Enix ever make a Final Fantasy VII remake, they need to have a button that can switch to the old PSX models at any time. For some reason, I couldn't stop doing that in the Halo Anniversary remake.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

FF12 With a job system sound awesome. You can't switch mid-game though right?

That's right. Whatever job you choose for them is permanent.

If they'd made the licence boards for each job smaller, so they could be mastered more quickly, they could have allowed a job switching mechanic like FFV. Your experience could only be used on your current job, and you could only equip weapons and armour compatible with that job.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I can't wait for these to be implemented in Final Fantasy XII: Intentionally Unintelligible International Improved Zodiac Job System Edition

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

This was posted in the PS3 Games thread, but it would be more suitable to discuss it here.

Cartoon Man posted:

If you believe Kotaku FF Versus XIII was officially cancelled internally at Square last week, but they don't plan to make any annoucement. They want it to just fade away so as not to hurt stock prices.

Who are these sources that they keeps referencing, and why do they report solely to Kotaku?

I'm not convinced that Versus XIII has been cancelled, unless it's said by Square Enix directly. If they wanted us to forget about the game, then why would they put its music in Theatrhythm?

Nomura was pretty clear that the game entered full production last September, so the years before that were either spent in pre-production, developing the new engine or helping the FFXIII team get their game finished.

The article mentions the possibility that content from Versus will be re-used in Final Fantasy XV, but that could be just a re-branding to distance Versus from XIII and XIII-2.

Final Fantasy XII and XIII both went massively over budget and schedule, but they were still stitched up and released. If games like Alan Wake and L.A. Noire can be released after 10-year development cycles, then I'm sure Square Enix can still release this game and make a profit.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Winks posted:

The trailer music from years ago is what's in theatrhythm.

I know that song has been around for years, but putting it in the game is still acknowledging its existence. That article said that Square Enix is trying to let the game fade from public attention, but if they're including it in their latest game, that doesn't seem likely.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Pasteurized Milk posted:

And my last thought, why did we bust up a Grand Prix?

Because it looked cool. And because the FMV's were made long before the actual story was written. It is also why one of the characters is killed off, then brought back in an FMV shortly after, as you mentioned.

There are some really good ideas in that game, both in terms of the gameplay and the story, which are just buried beneath all the terrible ones. I like not having to spend a minute after each fight burning through health potions to get everyone back to full health, and having the option to retry a fight allows them to be much more difficult, without being totally unfair.

Like you said, it could have been better if it was restructured. I would have preferred to have had Gran Pulse available much earlier in the game, with the linear corridors branching from it.

I'm not sure if you will feel the same way, but I liked this game much more than XIII-2, which removed most of the difficulty, had a much weaker narrative and characters, very little guidance and very few unique locations. Basically, XIII trimmed out all the JRPG fluff, while XIII-2 stuffs it all back in again.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Say what? FF7 on Android? Hot drat, I knew there was a reason I got one. Where can I find out more about this?

FPSe is a PSX emulator for Android,, which has really good compatibility and support for bluetooth controllers. You do have to play for it, though.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Final Fantasy games are just a way for Nomura and Toriyama to have their Insane-Off.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The only character who has any significant presence and character arc between Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2 is Hope.

If it was Sazh instead, I might have a reason to get XIII-3.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Cardboard Fox posted:

I can't recall even a single line she said during the whole game.

This might jog your memory.

(By capslocksaurus in dick cheese and wateyad's LP thread)

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

VagueRant posted:

Wait, what? Then why is the voice acting still so stilted and anime-ish?

Poor translation and voice direction, I'd assume. Square Enix did go to the effort of rendering entirely new CGI sequences in Final Fantasy XIII for the English dub's lip movements, so at least they've started taking it more seriously.

Poor lip sync isn't something you see often now that there's software to do a lot of the work for you, but during the PS2 era they tended to manually animate one language and fit the rest into those animations. Capcom's games tended to have excellent lip sync, since they only recorded English dialogue.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Krad posted:

So, I finished FF XIII-2.

Jesus Christ SE, why couldn't you do this the first time around? I can't believe how good it is (considering it's a sequel and all). Definitely want to plat it eventually.

Could you please explain the game's plot, without referencing the Final Fantasy Wiki?

I'd like to hear how it would be summarised by someone who isn't Azure Horizon, who's clearly read the entire datalogue and Ultimatim guides, so can handwave every bullshit plot point from something you'd never experience in the game.

Also, did you encounter the problem I had, where about two hours in I had a little too much experience and just sleepwalked through the rest of the game, until the final boss? Did you ever put the game down for months because you needed more of those engine parts that Hope wanted, but every single one was behind a gate that needed a wild artefact?
Did you ever get a weird look from someone who saw the outfit Serah was wearing while you were playing?

I'm not having a go at you, and it's great you enjoyed this game even if I didn't. I'm just wondering if by some miracle you managed to get through the game without encountering any of these problems.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Thanks guys! While the story is still both badly written and poorly told, at least I now have some context for the tedious poo poo I did for those 20 hours.

Was Etro foreshadowed in FFXIII in any way, or is she just a massive retcon? Of course, that's impossible, considering that everything Toriyama has written has been meticulously planned out for the next 5 entries in the FFXIII septilogy.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

Etro is mentioned in the Datalogs and Analects along with Yeul, and straight up creates the ending of FFXIII. Etro's Gate is seen behind Orphan in the final battle.

The XIII-2 twist was planned, if not all that well thought out.

OK. I'll have to check out the final battle again.

It's odd, because I assumed that the Fal'Cie were the gods of Pulse and Cocoon, but now there's some actual gods running around and ruining things. At this point, I kinda wish the reason the party survived at the end of the game was due to their unbreakable bond of trust and friendship, not because of some deity feeling sorry for them and using a 'get out of jail free' card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Fungah! posted:

Hell, Square even released what I've been hearing is a good Final Fantasy game, even if they're being a bit slow about localizing it. We're not exactly hurting for jrpgs to play at the moment.

You mean Type-0, right? I really enjoyed playing that, because each of the 13 characters has a different weapon, which makes each of them feel unique to play as. The main trick to combat is that when an enemy is vulnerable, perhaps after they've attacked, their targeting reticule would turn red and any attack they take in this small time frame would instantly kill them. Of course, for bosses it just takes away a significant amount of their health.

Each character has to approach this differently, because a melee attacker would have to be next to the boss at the right moment to damage it, and a long-range/spellcaster would need to fire their shots early so that it lands just as the weak spot is opened. One of the characters uses a pair of guns, so although his damage output is normally very low, he can easily hit these weak spots as soon as they show up.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Seemenaked: Lightning Returns is going to, more or less, use the battle system shown in the first FFXIII trailer back in 2006, a blend of action RPG and ATB.

It's odd that Square Enix decided to make FFXIII a menu-driven 'turn-based' game, when they are now much better at action games. Making a game turn-based should give you a greater degree of control and allow for more advanced tactics, while in FFXIII all it did was remove control over your character's positioning and delay the outcome of any decisions you make. It even took away control of your party members, leaving them with a vague command of heal, attack, defend etc.

The initial screenshots of FFXIII suggested that you'd add commands to the ATB, and they'd be continuously carried out by Lightning, like in The Sims.