Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Speaking of The Last Remnant I ran through the first couple story missions of the game doing all the fights because I heard that gaining XP was no longer a Bad Idea in the PC port. Then somebody else told me I was wrong, and probably boned. I just got to Elysion and I think I'm BR 8? Is that way too high?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
In FF8, your magic is expressed in terms of inventory--instead of A knowing Firaga, he had 88 Firagas. Also, magic could be traded around like equipment, so he could give those 88 firagas to somebody else. Junctioning let you "assign" spells to your characters' stats, with the exact bonus depending on the mapping (Full-life boosts HP by a lot, strength not so much) and how much of the magic you had.

The "natural" way to obtain magic was to sit there in battle against something with the spell on their Draw table and use Draw a bunch, which would give you 1-9 copies of the spell. The slightly smarter way to obtain magic was to abuse the card game and obtain near-endgame magic in disc one.

The obvious consequence: since enemy stats scaled with your own level, but the vast majority of your stats (unless you abuse the +growth GF skills) came from your junctions, it was Optimal to never level up and instead play cards to get stupidly high stats.

e:f;b

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Even the 1899 Cleaveland Spiders (20-134, 24 of those losses in a row), who are in the running for the worst major league professional sport team in the history of ever, won a few games.
:goonsay:

quote:

In June, Baltimore pitcher Jerry Nops showed up for a game against Cleveland with a hangover and was battered for one of the Spiders' few wins. Orioles manager John McGraw fined and suspended Nops, and the embarrassed Orioles won the next game by a score of 21 to 6. Word around the league was that teams worked extra hard to beat the Spiders to avoid losing to the worst team in baseball history.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
gently caress that, give me playable Orlandu. Also I hope Ramza is something incredibly stupid like a Geomancer/Samurai but they're just gonna make him a Squire, I bet. Ah well.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
FF13's combat system is seriously best-in-series good and just about the only redeeming feature of the whole fiasco. Objectively so.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Has there ever been a Final Fantasy game you couldn't beat in the most catastrophically stupid manner imaginable by just ignoring everything in the combat system, spamming your regular attack, and cracking potions when necessary? Like yeah, there's probably a more elegant way to enforce actually playing the game (like soft enrage mechanics, or I guess big flashing YOU hosed UP TRY USING RAVAGER tutorial popups for the people who apparently didn't notice the single most prominent piece of eye candy in the UI) but is this the hill you're choosing to die on?

If you put a gun up to my head and asked me to actually justify the doom timer, it's a safety valve for stupidity. The designers really didn't want people grinding their way out to Gran Pulse, picking up a hunt, and pushing X for three hours in SEN/MED/COM. Better to have a forcing function much earlier in the game. It could definitely have been handled with more grace--if nothing else they could have used a word that RPG veterans don't associate with a curable status effect--but it's a commendable thought.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eavDvH6SGbs

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
of course he's a trump voter

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the enrage timer is supposed to be a warning sign that you're not engaging with the (fantastic) combat system in an unfun way that you're not supposed to. if you're actually hitting enrage on any non-postgame fight you are literally doing a quarter or so of the dps even basic play would get you, and this is pretty much a hard fact because of the way the crystarium works.

the enrage timers aren't the problem, and killing players if they don't interact with the game in any way other than going into SEN/MED/COM and pressing A for 20 minutes shouldn't be considered bad design. why is bad design:

- the game never explicitly tells you that you're dying because you're doing 25% of the damage you're supposed to.
- the game never explicitly tells you about the literal 50% dps/hps boost you get from just switching paradigms regularly
- the game never explains the buff-stagger-exploit loop of the system to a player in anything but the most facile of terms
- the game waits until the 20th hour to put in a fight in which it's possible to lose because you didn't have enough dps
- corollary: at no point before the 20th hour is it ever explained to you that doing damage is preferable to grinding a fight out via chip damage
- the waits until the 19th hour to give you access to a full paradigm deck, without which it is impossible to interact with the combat system in any meaningful way

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
it occurs to me that i'm slipping into talking about ff13 using mmo terminology not just because i play a lot of ff14, but because a lot of this conversation accurately mirrors the perpetual "content can't be meaningful without fail conditions" vs "it's my $14.99/month and i can do whatever the hell i want with it" argument in the ff14 thread

ff13 is unlike a lot of other final fantasy games in that it is highly opinionated about how you should play it. its problem is that it never bothers to actually explain this opinion

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
if it's not clear by now i think it's a really good opinion and i will die on that hill. shame about the rest of the game.

(music was good too)

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I enjoyed LR, but a lot of the beauty of FF13 is how the party's strength and available abilities is fairly closely controlled to make for interesting fights. The devs clearly knew exactly how much damage/healing a party could do at the correct point in the story for any given boss fights, and at least tried to make intelligent decisions based on that. Neither 13-2 or LR have that kind of design rigor, and it really eats at me.

related: The saddest video game review experience i have ever seen is this little gem for the ps3 called Vanquish, a third person shooter made by platinum. As you might imagine, it's a Platinum game, so you're supposed to jetpack boost everywhere while dropping grenades on the ground as you go and do sick rocket-assisted kickflips off of enemy robots while going into slow-motion as you fly through the air and headshot more robots on the way down, then chainsaw another robot so the i-frames protect you as your jetpack recharges. Unfortunately, it also has a "press A to cower behind a rock" button, so basically every reviewer ever played the game by hiding behind scenery for half an hour while blindfiring randomly, then declared it a bad Gears of War clone.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

Same, and the explanation Koji gave for the lyrics is really good.

(kill your mom and yourself)

i was there and i still can't hear the ron paul lyrics

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

zedprime posted:

Leaving room for the XCX soundtrack to be everything great about the year 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOeb7StJlRc

e. I'll admit especially for you Final Fantasy thread that I unironically like Wir Fliegen and Don't Worry for some reason

wir fliegen and uncontrollable are great until you realize that you'll only hear the first like 15 seconds of each over and over and over during the postgame

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
like if you're farming tyrants with draw.opening-dmg + position-above.dmg alpha strikes, your aural life will just be the first bar each of Don't Worry and Uncontrollable, over and over and over

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Evil Fluffy posted:

XCX had a lot of needless complexity. Sure I get that you can spend a bunch of time to set up lots of augments and soul voices in a symbiotic way to toggle murdergod mode but goddamn, it'd be nice if you'd make large enemies, including a late/end game boss, not just send you flying like a field goal attempt because they got close to you. People who did skell combat fights on foot are weird and if it wasn't for the "you get sent flying by large enemy movement (and can do the same to small enemies with your skell)" then I could at least see the appeal due to its challenge. Skell combat was pretty broken in general though. I think it took more time to go from 28-30 than it took to go from 30-40 because you go buy an Amadusias and just back attack beam scythe enemies a dozen levels above you and then finish them off a couple seconds later. It was a good game but XC was better in just about every way. Especially the music. And the Nopon.

World Tyrants having co-op is the biggest tease though. The next game just needs to allow co-op, either a drop in/out setup along the lines of games like Crackdown and Saint's Row or a more party structured freeform system like in Dragon Quest 9 and the leader can light up their bat signal when they need you to stop doing whatever you're doing and help them.

In any fight you can't alpha strike with a skell, a ground party will have wildly superior sustained dps due to the cooldown reduction in overdrive.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
'course, there's like 5 things in the game an ares 90 can't oneshot soooooo

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
1.3 is not particularly difficult if you are familiar with the nuts and bolts of the fft combat system, especially the edge cases where it starts to break down and you can make literal free turns appear out of nowhere with careful timing of revives

that doesn't actually make it fun though

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
if there's one thing fft hardtype mods--including 1.3--do right, it fixes the bit where regular fft enemies are like 99% tier 2 jobs with 500 jp worth of random skills even in chapter 4. oh nooooo another archer with yin-yang magic, 31 faith, and charge +8, whatever shall i do

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
so yeah, fft is a great game, but when you pull back the curtain you can't exactly unlearn the combat mechanics after. hell, i just installed wotl on my phone because of the holiday sale, after literal years of not having played fft, and found myself counting ct ticks almost immediately.

once you have that knowledge, you really do need to be playing a hardtype patch for combat to be interesting at all, in the slightest. playing hardtype patches teach you more about the system. the more you know about the system, the harder the patch needs to be, until you're in the back alley of an arby's at 2 am taking hits off the 1.3 unyielding crack pipe. it's an understandable cycle

the actual, well-adjusted human being response is to go and play a different game, maybe one where you don't have the 300 page battle mechanics guide committed to memory, but for whatever reason some people just can't let go

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
fft isn't hard, but it is willfully obtuse, and 1.3 requires you to know things about the combat system that are not surfaced in the ui.

because they are not particularly fun to interact with.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
by the way, 1.3 isn't hard either. it requires you to know undocumented things about the game's action economy, but once you know how to sandbag it doesn't really throw any other curveballs at you.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

People say the "x isn't really hard" thing about loving anything. 1.3 is really difficult and requires in-depth knowledge about the systems on a level that barely anyone does, unless they are the kind of person who goes looking for bad difficulty mods in the first place.

you're confusing "not being fun" and "requiring undocumented information" with "being hard"

you have as much time to make your move as you like in a srpg. the only way they can be hard is by overloading your ability to process the strategic situation--by presenting you with multiple different threats which you have to manage (fe: fates conquest), or objectives that you can fail (devil survivor), or incentivizing unnecessary risk (xcom's meld mechanic), or imperfect information that you have to understand (fog of war mechanics) or straight up a game state which is too big to fit in a human mind (big wwii-scale wargames).

fft, vanilla or 1.3, does none of this. it presents you with enemy formations that are straight up horseshit unless you know the secret shibboleth to making the ai waste 80% of its turns, and then every encounter is very straightforward and easy to understand.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
fyi, i think fates: conquest on lunatic, devil survivor 1 on hard, xcom: ew on impossible, and any of the ridiculous $90 world war simulations are all harder games than 1.3. also, better.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
it's a nice thought, but fft maps are small, move ranges are low, meaning you don't really deal with the sort of battlefield prioritization that you do in other srpgs. plus, you win pretty much every stage by either neutralizing all the baddies or one specific baddie, which i understand is an engine limitation of fft but also constricts the design.

there's this map in fe: fates conquest, chapter 10, which encompasses a lot of what i'm talking about here. in it, you basically have to defend a fortified position with three defensible ingress points for a bunch of turns. your units are just fast enough that you can shuffle them around if you have to in order to meet enemy waves as they come, and just slow enough that you don't want to if you don't have to. fire emblem's basic combat system is extremely simplistic on a tactical level, but the map achieves real difficulty by giving you enough strategic rope to hang yourself with. there's plenty of ways to lose because you made a real strategic mistake, not because you did your CT times tables wrong

the ability to contract your rings of defense on the left and right side of the map is very important in the last couple of turns, but doing it a turn too early or a turn too late is...bad
the timing of the enemy reinforcement waves bait you into mispositioning units, or underestimating how long it takes to move guys from one theatre to another.
the houses with loot outside of your defensive perimeter encourage you to make sorties, which put your units at more risk unless you plan things out very well.

basically what i'm saying is that conquest is a very good srpg and also a hard one, in a way better way than any fft hardtype patch is

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

Also known as "being hard"

hypothetically speaking, would you consider a game of tic-tac-toe where the only controls are a) needlessly obtuse, and b) written in sanskrit to be hard? being hard to understand isn't the same as being hard.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
archael.txt

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

bloodychill posted:

To echo "there are multiple ways to be hard," requiring mastery and in depth analysis and understanding of arcane game systems which depend on understanding of mathematical formulas (albeit simple ones) and understanding job ability synergy and strategic placement of units and making use of the CT system and doing threat management are all forms of difficulty for people to whom these things don't come naturally. Don't assume these things are simple tasks and equivocate the game to tic tac toe or something. It's naive at best and dishonest and disrespectful at worst.

You're absolutely right, but telling them that their hack isn't hard is a much better way to annoy 1.3 fans than telling them it isn't fun.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Actually, you know what I regret most about that post? I forgot to mention the DS Valkyrie Profile. That was a game that knew how to be hard without just overturning enemies.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I will stand by the claim that difficulty-by-obscurity is at best a lovely way to add difficulty though.

Once you know the magic words "downed units continue to accrue CT at the normal rate" 1.3 presents you with very few interesting decisions, which is what I was trying to get at. You just grind out slow, incremental advantages.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
That also tires into its narrative: the game represents good and evil not by giving you a Bioware style kill orphans/save orphans choice but by baking the temptation right into the gameplay loop. It's real good.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the zodiac system is like the definition of arcane minutiae

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
even the ingame tutorial, which was read by like 12 people, calls it "miscellany"

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
master archael once said to an acolyte, "you must pay careful attention to the zodiac system, for it is the beginning and end of all damage formulae"

"why does zodiac compatibility affect the success rate of magic, but not physical evasion?" asked the acolyte

master archael immediately threw a tantrum about how the acolyte couldn't appreciate the battle mechanics guide's genius because he was bad at the game. hearing this, the acolyte was enlightened.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
for starters, unless you check that chart in the "miscellany" section of the tutorial or look it up on the internet, you have no way of knowing which zodiac signs interact with which other ones

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i understand that this is a very subjective argument, and that people have diverse opinions which should all be considered without prejudice, but one possible place you could draw the line is somewhere around "when nothing in the game interface tells the player what it is, what it does, how to trigger it, and also making effective use of it literally requires you to know the birthdays of the game's major antagonists"

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

gigglefeimer posted:

Is it an obscure gameplay mechanic that 108 Gems boosts elements and protects against some statuses? At this point I don't know what the average player thinks.

so...close...

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

AlphaKretin posted:

I don't have a dog in this race, but the game shows you the Zodiac sign of any unit you care to check and bringing up the help text on that tells you its relationships with the other Zodiac signs.

poo poo, really?

edit: he's right, thought it only shows you X and Os with no indication of what that means, at least in the wotl version

edit edit: OKAY FINE GOD LEAVE ME ALONE

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 31, 2016

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
it doesn't exactly come up a lot once you have the bmg committed to memory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
you have a habit of picking really really bad hyperbolic examples, considering that the fact that unarmed damage is quadratic in PA is both very important and never explained