Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BingeHooligan
Dec 24, 2010
I guess it's my time to list my bad opinions now! Okay, I think the first Final Fantasy game that I really played was FFX. I picked it up when it came out. I'd played FFVII but I didn't really get it. The last Final Fantasy I played was XII. My list goes something like this

:krad:

FFV -- Holy poo poo this game for me. Job systems are really awesome, and the amount of character building stat-wise is great. I didn't really dislike any job in this, other than Time Mage. Had a simple story that wasn't obtrusive but wasn't dumbed down, and Gilgamesh is awesome.

FFIX -- I don't know why I liked this game, I just really loved the dynamic and the world. Disc 3 gets a little weird but eh. The Black Mage Village was cute and sad. The weapon skill system was well done. Blue Magic was again really awesome. Kuja is fabulous.

FFIV -- Storytelling is fantastic, magic twins are awesome, Four Lords of the elements are kickass. That's really about it. Kain was a tad weird though.

Pretty Awesome

FFVIII -- The characters were believable, the Guardian Force system was pretty cool. What really won me over was Triple Triad. Holy poo poo, I spent hours on this game getting cards and turning cards into items. Quistis was a pretty cool character too.

FFVII -- Materia system was pretty cool in terms of customization, but by the end it felt like I had the same characters, essentially. Well except Cait Sith, who I stuck the only filled Enemy Materia on. Story was okay, but I've heard the problems are due to translation issues. Aerith felt heavy handed (Sorry!)

FFIII -- Jobs jobs jobs jobs jobs. The more stat based system was interesting, and killing the Cloud of Darkness with nothing but a bunch of White Mages was fun. That was really about it. Still get the desire to play it randomly.

Okay

FFX -- Should probably be up one level, but for now it stays here. Grid Sphere was pretty good, but really needed a bit of refinement, and International fixed that I think. The environment is amazing and colorful and it makes me feel like I'm REALLY in a fantasy land. Characters were likable for the most part; Tidus, Riku, and Seymour notwithstanding. Overall pretty average, but on the high end for some of the other games

FFVI -- Awesome story, not too enthused with the battles themselves. I think I went in expecting too much from the game, which is hailed as one of the seven wonder of the RPG world. I had a similar experience with Chrono Trigger. The story was dark in a refreshing way, Kefka was brilliant, but overall felt flat somewhere.

FFI -- A classic, but falls flat in terms of gameplay in comparison. Doesn't stop it from being enjoyable. A good, quick game to waste some time on.

Please stop
(I've never finished any game in this category.)

FFXII -- The open world felt empty and overwhelming at the same time, and the battle was rather eh. The gambits were nice, it was just very underdone. Licenses felt confusing until I realized I could max everything in them. Character designs are -okay- but I guess my main complaint is that it tries to be an MMO without really reaching its goals. I haven't played it in three years, so I might give it a go. I really want to play the International Zodiac version, seeing as the license system excites me much more (jobs jobs jobs).

FFII -- just stop

I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO RANK THIS

FFXI -- Pretty cool actually. The races are well designed. The jobs feel unique, even when some are traditionally very similar. Scholars are very different from Red Mages. The World is huge, maybe a bit too huge, and feels empty like FFXII. The experience is overall very good! I don't know how to rank this, especially considering I'm really only delving into the content now. (I picked it up as a friend had revived his account.)

Wow that was long. On the plus side, Final Fantasy Four Job Fiesta is soon, and I'm so excited. So very, very excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BingeHooligan
Dec 24, 2010
I genuinely like the game. The grind is so much better, I leveled to 30 in less than a week. I guess I just found a good group of people to play it with. My linkshell is full of cool people that will genuinely help out anyone and who actually like the game. :unsmith:

Although, I do like Tarutaru. They're so adorable and tiny. I know they're kind of uninspired but I can't help it. :ohdear:

BingeHooligan
Dec 24, 2010
I recently restarted FFXII after stating that I'd never finished it, and I have to admit, the gap between Balthier and Vaan is pretty great. Balthier is so :smug: and Vaan is just going around telling people he steals things.

My major complaint so far is you don't unlock all the gambits, Fran seems to be a useless character, and you HAVE to run around to recover MP. Unless I get the gambit action "Run twenty laps around the enemy," then I'm entirely uninterested. Granted, I'm not using gambits, but to change the party leader just to recover some mp is silly but FEELS necessary right now for the white magic.

The license board feels SILLY. All the characters are the same blank slate, which looks good on paper, but not if you can't see what the progression between the licenses is. It's maddening. You have to get daggers before you can get guns, but you can't KNOW that. Granted other characters start with it so you CAN see, but if anything that annoys me even more. I feel cheated into buying all the slots so I can see what comes next and if I want it or not. With the job system it isn't as bad, seeing as you have a specialization to cater to, but if I want to make a katana wielding character, I have to go through bows or axes/hammers. Not swords, short swords, or greatswords. If I want to specialize in Time Magic, I have to go through some Arcane Magic, or some Black Magic.

I can see how two years ago this made me mad and I quit. I'm having fun now, though.

BingeHooligan
Dec 24, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

No, you really, really don't. Seriously. This isn't me being Of Strong Opinions, I'm just stating a universal fact.

I like FF3. Even if it is objectively bad. :shobon:

BingeHooligan
Dec 24, 2010
Wound up with White Mage/Berserker/Summoner/Monk. Not challenging at all really. I'm in World 2 right now, trying to pick up the Staff of Light from Metamorph. It's kind of a pain.

White Mage really is the best Wind Crystal, even early on during the terrible early game. You basically can't die, and that's a guarantee. Cure gets you through the Ship Graveyard without a hitch, Protect gets you through Garula, and Silence stops Magissa.

Berserker is a minor annoyance, especially with bosses that require specific targets to be hit over others (see: sandworm). Sends out a lot of damage, and instant death has treated me well.

Summoner makes the game easy and is stupid good. Damage is through the roof while holding rods, and Golem makes it easy to survive. The only challenge is keeping up your mana. The rest of the game is won.

Monk is pretty eh at this point in the game.

BingeHooligan
Dec 24, 2010

Sunning posted:

It's one of the reasons I had hoped the battle system's designer, Hiroyuki Ito, would get a chance at heading a major FF game by himself rather than acting as an assistant designer.

Didn't Ito direct FFIX? I know he's done a lot of co-designing. Also they have him on iOS duty to my knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BingeHooligan
Dec 24, 2010
Take it with a grain of salt, but the original producer, Ichigo Hazama, expressed interest in making another one some time last year. He also said he wants to do something for Chrono Trigger's 20th anniversary but we all know how SE loves Chrono Trigger. So much love.