Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Nice OP Happy Blue Cow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I take back my original view of FFXIII-2's ending.

I'm glad everyone is still loving dead and/or doomed, or soon to die.

Against my better judgment, I've decided to start watching the Legend of the Crystal's anime thing to see if it's as bad as people say. All I'm getting so far is a pretty sweet FFV main theme remix, Amano-brand featherless Chocobos, and animation and voice acting that's so 90s it's painful. Enjoyable pulpy camp thus far though.

[e]: Though some of it...what the gently caress Japan!? Pantyshots? Making someone's rear end glow? :mad:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 15, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Azure_Horizon posted:

I'm down. 13-2 was fantastic and I will gladly get a 13-3.

"FFXIII-3: The quest for more money", or "FFXIII-3: Milking the cash cow so hard, it makes powdered milk" or "FFXIII-3: MTCCSHIMPM" if that won't fit on a box.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

OatmealRaisin posted:

Hopefully FF13-3 takes out those pesky encounters. I mean, the game already plays itself, but it still makes me push A every 30 seconds? I just want to watch anime characters do anime things all anime day!

It's not so much it plays itself, it's that it wants to be a terrible 60 hour movie so badly, while at the same time having interactive elements. The actual fighting mechanics aren't so bad, it's just the horrendous story elements they force down the players throat, and the massive amounts of padding.

As Azure Horizon said, it's not FFXII, where you can practically set it up to play itself. FFXIII doesn't want to be played, it wants you to watch it and be enveloped in its story. Whether you as the player like it or not.

Amppelix posted:

The alternative is them taking about 10 years to develop the engine for the next game.

I'd take a 10 year wait over another FFXIII game (of the main ones I mean, not the ones with the same mythology but otherwise unrelated games) rather than have to suffer through more characters that, while not bad, I just plain couldn't give a toss about.

[e]: This Legend of Crystal thing needs more Exdeath...sorry, :airquote:Exodes:airquote:, and more Gilgamesh. :saddowns:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 15, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

PhilippAchtel posted:

The gameplay of FFXII is setting up gambits to match the situations you are facing.

That's a fair point to make.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Harlock posted:

FF15 probably won't come out until the next console generation and is probably starting development now or already has been in development.

They'll officially announce it at this year's E3 with a 1 minute trailer with some Shakespeare quote at the beginning, and no actual gameplay, and then they'll say nothing more about it till 2020 when the PS4 is midway through its lifecycle, where they'll put up a 2 minute trailer, (a minute of which is content from the first one), and this one will show what looks like gameplay, but actually isn't because they haven't planned it yet.

Am I predicting this trend correctly? :v:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ImpAtom posted:

Uh. Nomura? Why are you blaming Nomura for FFXIII?

Yeah, Nomura was only responsible for the face design of the main characters IIRC. He barely has anything to do with XIII. These days he's too busy trying to come up with ways to make a mindfuck out of Kingdom Hearts.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Calaveron posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he responsible for the FF7 Compilation material?

Only as director for Advent Children, and Last Order (and the latter was only as a superviser).

Like ImpAtom said, he mostly sticks to being a designer, the exception being Kingdom Hearts which he also directs...mostly.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Calaveron posted:

Who was responsible for the catastrophe that was Dirge of Cerberus?

Everyone who said that it was a good idea.

Well, these people:

Director: Takayoshi Nakazato
Producer: Yoshinori Kitase
Writer: Hiroki Chiba

But the true one to blame is Square Enix.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 15, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ImpAtom posted:

DoC was the definition of shovelware.

The only redeeming things about that game for me, are the music, the Dark Id's LP of it, and the hammy-as-gently caress voice acting.

[e]: Wow, Bartz has been pumping those irons since he defeated Exdeath, looks more like Guts:

[e2]: Oh you're just upset that you haven't got the technick down. :smug:
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 15, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Oh wow, subliminal messages in Legend of the Crystals:

There's these robots that speak backwards, with subtitles for what they're saying. Only, one isn't.

"You will buy more new copies of these tapes for all your friends."

Haha! What the gently caress?

[e2]: And another one? Haha!

"By the way, there's more: if you buy in volume, there is a substantial discount for all who purchase tapes".

Almost makes up for all the needless pantyshots.

[e3]: Looks like I spoke to soon. gently caress you Legend of the Crystals! rear end-laser? Seriously!? Why?

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 15, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
They really liked their subliminal messages didn't they?

"Bio Hunter is another great tape. Also Dragon Slayer. Real good!"

[e2]:

Another says

"I'll order right away, Robot friend!"
"That's Urban Vison, for the finest in anime.

[e3]: Just watched the whole thing. Well, that was weird. Good movie to riff on, but not much else.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 16, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

pw pw pw posted:

Well his character design sucks :colbert:

His designs aren't too bad when he manages to restrain himself. Or when someone else restrains him. With a straight jacket comprised only of zippers, buckles and belts. And uneven length sleeves.

His monster designs are pretty cool though.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Calaveron posted:

He designed all the characters in Dirge of Cerberus, right?
There is no one on Earth who can defend this man after seeing the character designs for Dirge of Cerberus.

DOC's character designs are abominable, no argument there.

Where do you even begin? :psyduck:

pw pw pw posted:

Can you show me a game with characters he designed that do not suck donkey chunks? I'm genuinely interested curious.

FFVII's character designs are actually quite understated, and don't look too retarded. His stuff for VIII isn't too bad either, for the most part, but it has has Ultimecia, so it balances out the good. The first two Parasite Eve games have pretty okay costume design.

I personally think the worst stuff he did was for the Bouncer, and FFX.
I mean this just speaks for itself:

But I think this is worse:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

pw pw pw posted:

I hadn't actually played twewy (mostly because of him, actually, I hear it's great) and those look... downright tolerable.

I feel like any one big stupid accessory can be made to work, but he just lumps them all together in a way that makes no goddamn sense. Like, all that poo poo tidus is wearing. FFX was the first FF game I skipped completely, just based on the character designs.

The combat is pretty great in FFX, and the story (overall) isn't too bad either. It's worth a look or a play, or if you don't want to go through all the hassle, just look up the LP Archive playthrough of it, or the Dark Id's current one.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

That loving Sned posted:

I'd consider this acceptable if he removed the gauntlet and shoulder pad, then re-attached the other piece of his trouser leg. At least, that would put him on par with other JRPG protagonists.

The best thing I can say about this picture is that it's drawn well. It's still a poorly-designed garish mismatch of primary colours, but it's still much better than his CG renders.

The fact that everyone kept changing race during the CGI cutscenes always amused me for some reason. It's just a really jarring change.

I tend to think of Shuyin's design as an apology for Tidus'

It's the same basic design, but without looking quite as ridiculous.
Why wasn't it in Dissidia :qq:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 17, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

TurnipFritter posted:

It's cool how his shorts are held together by a harness.

I did say it wasn't quite as ridiculous.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: Beaten by a mile.

NikkolasKing posted:

Don't all the Genomes wear a similar outfit? Kuja just pimped his out which kept in line with his narcissism and individuality.

I know a lot of people have problems with Garnet's outfit in IX. Eiko's too.

The design for the male genomes is far worse than what people make out Kuja's to be. And that's taking into account his mascara and lipstick.

I've never really heard people having a problem with Garnet's clothes, except her trance mode, which just looks awful; Eiko's yes, because of the unfortunate colour scheme.

Flesh-toned clothes are never a good idea.

[e2]: It's a codpiece people! Not a thong, a codpiece! It pieces the cods! It cods the pieces!

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 17, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mak0rz posted:

I'm... just going to have to take your word for that :gonk:

You don't need to, here's an image of jockstrap face from earlier in the thread:

Look at it! Look at it! :black101:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

NikkolasKing posted:

Can people with eyesight better than mine tell me if Sephiroth's design has changed much thanks to better graphics? From what I can tell he has a much thinner figure but that could just be due to the fact they couldn't render that sort of thing in FFVII. I'm more interested if they made his clothes weirder somehow.

I think it's just that they're using more realistic proportions now, os he isn't quite so top heavy. His actual costume has stayed the same I think (outside of his Dissidia and Kingdom Hearts costumes), though his hair style changes game-to-game, and I think the logo on his belt changes slightly. I'm not too sure of that though.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ManSedan posted:

It's amazing what a simple shirt will do for someones design.

That's so much better than rent-boy Vaan:

Put a shirt on ya goddamn beatnik! :arghfist::nixon:

[e]: Well, Kuja does use the opening of "We Will Rock You" as a beat for some of his theme songs.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 17, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
If we're talking about Bowie and glam-rock inspirations, well:

Even better is that Amano has artwork for the Thin White Duke himself.

:allears:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mak0rz posted:

Is that the Emperor?

Yep, Mateus Palamecia. Not that anyone ever calls him that ingame. It's in some novel that was never translated. Incidently, he made a pact with Satan to gain his demonic powers.

Mak0rz posted:

I would play the everloving poo poo out of this Final Fantasy (Square, make it happen)

Yesssss!

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Speaking of Yuffie, there was an article today on Kotaku;

Could have been pretty interesting had they done this, let the player essentially choose the Yuffie look they want. Although knowing them, probably all versions would have been variations of Ninja Teenage Brats... :geno:

That's a pretty neat idea, shame they didn't implement it.

[e]: Holy loving poo poo :aaaaa:
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 17, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Calaveron posted:

Only one of those guys is pulling it off

That's because it's Bowie - you could dress him in tramp rags, and he'd still be the most fashionable motherfucker on the street, and make it look good.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

p.crestmont posted:

The technology has never been able to match up with his work, but now it's getting close and I hope they realize how great that could be.

Not a game, but an upcoming movie.

:fap:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

EDIT: In fact if we're talking about the original versions of games, 6 is the only one I can think of where Amano's art is used for ingame portraits. Most of the other pre-PSX games don't even have ingame portraits including 5.

For that matter, none of the PSX games have them either. Or the post-PSX games.

I know they retroactively added them into V, II and I think IV.

Ignore me, I thought we were talking about the dialogue boxes.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 17, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

NikkolasKing posted:

So Pesky Splinter thanks for linking to the FFXIII LP. I'm reading it now. It's a long thread and very tedious to get through but I think one of the best parts of an LP is seeing people's reactions to stuff.

Like, I wanna know if anyone else liked Rosch(the PSICOM Colonel guy). He wasn't that great or anything but this game needed interesting villains and he is the only one.

Also I hope there is intense raging at Jihl when she actually ddoes something because holy loving God what a terrible excuse for a villain.

No problem.

I think the antagonists in XIII are the most underdeveloped ones in the entire series, to the point that loving Garland has more of a character than they do.

But that problem is due to XIII's atrocious pacing - we see the antagonists in one single scene, and then one more twenty hours later, and then again in the final act. They are so forgettable infact, that when you see them again, the game has to remind you who the gently caress these people are. And that's not even getting into the vacuous wastes of space that Space Pope or Jihl are.

Oh, and they're cliched to hell, even more so than usual.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: And most of those scenes are the villains talking utter tripe. Cid could have been made a good foil to the party, but nope. Four scenes. That's it. That's the all the allotted time they had to spend on his character to make way for the five million speeches about "I AM [character motivation]" or "We're [character motivation]".

TurnipFritter posted:

These were illustrations for Bowie x Iman fanfiction written by Neil Gaiman. Iman is a queen that kills all her suitors and the Thin White Duke was immortal vampire with a death wish.

Didn't it never get released or something? Aside from the artwork? Or am I thinking of something else?

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 17, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

TurnipFritter posted:

I think the magazine only ran the first chapter or something.

drat, and I was hoping for more Bowie/Amano/Gaiman goodness. :sigh:

[e]: Now them's fightin' words :clint:
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 17, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: That's because some of the Judges barely had any scenes - Drace (the female judge - and one of the better ones), gets two, I think, and we see the others about three or four times - Gabranth excluded. I can only remeber the names of Drace, Gabranth and Zargabaath (and that's only because he was voiced by Simon Templeman, best know for his work as Kain from the Legacy of Kain series).

ImpAtom posted:

I only played through part of FFXII:International so I can't really speak for the whole thing. I liked Ashe quite a bit aside from her costume but I think the translation does a really good job with her so your opinion wouldn't really change either way I think. v:shobon:v

I think they're pretty different characters. I think Lightning's the best character in FFXIII but that's faint praise because... FFXIII is loving FFXIII. Ashe is a good character but I think she suffers somewhat from the way the game is structured with there being like 3-4 potential 'main' protagonists and some shirtless kid who is around way too often and it leads to me wishing she got more time.

I don't like Ashe's look, but her character is pretty okay ingame, at least, from what I remember and from what I've been watching from the XII LP. Most of the XII cast are extraneous though - you could get rid of Vaan, Penelo and even Fran and probably wouldn't change that much. In terms of what they do for the plot, I mean.

Part of me likes to think that there's a massive clothing shortage in Ivalice, and that all the citizens are doing their bit. Which explains why most of the men are shirtless in a desert environment, and why Ashe is dressed like she is. Of course, we all know the real shameful reason. Same for Fran.

And XIII's cast...eh...Lightning is better when she's tearing into people or just being agressive to everyone, Sazh is pretty cool, as is Fang, and they're both pretty grounded, Snow is obnoxious, Vanille is grating and Hope is...well, Hope.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 19, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

NikkolasKing posted:

Judges

That's right, Ghis is the one in red, and with the weird perm. And Bergan's the one in the frog helmet who murders the Pope. I'll remember that now, thanks. :)

Drace, I remember because of her badass scene where she draws her sword on Vayne, and her awesome lines:

code:
Spare me your lies! I see the serpent coiled here
before me!

Zargabaath: Drace, you speak too freely!

Zargabaath! Do not tell me you join in this mummer’s farce!

Vayne Solidor! As Judge Magister and upholder of the law, I hereby place
you under arrest!

Bergan: Vayne did not make himself autocrat. It was the very Ministry of
Law which you serve. Do you see it now, Drace? When you bared your sword at His
Excellency, you bared your sword at the law.

Drace: You wear the mummer’s motley well, Bergan.
Hey, ImpAtom, you said you played the international version, did you play up to this bit? I'm just curious as to what the original Japanese stuff for that scene was - like the idiom of the mummer's farce and motley, that sort of thing?

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 19, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Even fans of FF13 make it sound like the shittiest story ever told. Square has completely lost the plot, their game release schedule looks like some designer fried out on LSD got to make executive decisions.

God knows what's going on the story in that game, or at least, how it's presented. It's not really that complicated, when you break it down, but it's covered in so much poo poo that a good editor would have gotten rid of (i.e the level padding, the redundant friendship speeches and things of that ilk) and leans so heavily on the player reading supplimentary materials to understand what is being discussed.

And there are the times that the writers are being cryptic for the sake of being cryptic (see also the Kingdom Hearts stuff). Or invoke a literal Deus ex Machina because they wrote themselves into a corner trying to tie all this incohesive stuff together. And they failed miserably.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Holy christ! What is wrong with her body!? Look at that waist!

Oh well, I suppose it works inga-

:wth: ARRH!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ImpAtom posted:

The clothing she is wearing is less important than where and how that clothing is cut. It's ridiculous clothing that doesn't even work for the "Well, they're in a desert and so wear little" sort of mindset. It's not quite "hookerwear" but the design philosophy of the outfit is clearly appeal and body emphasis more than anything else. Emphasis-focused clothing can actually be kind of weirder than pure bared skin depending on where and how it is designed.

A good example would be Bayonetta:
(Ignore the cosplayer on the right)

Notice how she only has that cresent of boobs showing, and how the rest of her skin is covered. There isn't a lot of skin on show at the front - it's pretty much a full body suit, though she is showing a lot of back.

Look at how her clothes actually empahsise her hips and chest. She is way more sexualised than Ashe, but that fits her character, because everything Bayonetta does is either sexualised or fetishised to the point of farce.

Ashe's character isn't, at least, not ingame. Notice that her short skirt is pink. That's the designers saying "LOOK! Look at how short her skirt is! We want you to look at the skirt! We want you to notice it!" The pink draws the eye to it. And then you've got her really weird posture as well, what is she doing? Trying to pick her nose?

And for no reason here is the Judges' armour for no other reason than most are pretty groovy.

[e]:

TurnipFritter posted:

Looks like someone's never heard of Ioana Spangenberg.

...but even she has a rib cage.

Well, I'll be...a 20 inch waist...bloody hell...:psyduck:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 19, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: It wasn't Nomura. I don't think he did anything in XII.

Krad posted:

This was from a few pages back but I had to bring it back up here. I wish Edea had remained the main villain for the rest of the game.

Also, this is the least Nomura-ish design he's ever done. In fact, it looks somewhat Amano-ish, with all those head decorations and the black feathery... thing. I'm starting to doubt Nomura had a hand in this.

Nomura actually did the initial designs for Gilgamesh, apparently:

quote:

According to the fifth "Chocobo's FF Laboratory" feature published in the November 1993 edition of V-Jump, the initial design for Gilgamesh was created by Tetsuya Nomura, although Yoshitaka Amano was the one who drew the character's final artwork. The magazine states that Nomura's initial design looked like a cross between Gilgamesh's first and second in-game forms.

He's more than capable of doing stuff outside his comfort blanket of belts and buckles, it's just he doesn't do it that often it seems. :(

And, not Nomura, but the artist who designed Caius said he based it on Amano's work:

quote:

"Naora stated that he was inspired by Yoshitaka Amano for the character's armor and accessories — Leon from Final Fantasy II in particular. "

For reference:

I can kinda see it, with the sleeves, and the beads and poo poo in the hair. Not Leon's hair, but in 90% or his other works.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 19, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Schwartzcough posted:

Eh, I'm colorblind so the hot pink skirt never really drew my attention, and I think the colors come across as more subdued in-game anyway.

If you don't mind my asking, are you completely colour blind, or just blind to certain wavelengths of colour?

[e]: Hey, ImpAtom, you said you played the international version, did you play up to the bit with Drace and Vayne? I'm just curious as to what the original Japanese stuff for that scene was - like the idiom of the mummer's farce and motley, that sort of thing?

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 19, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: I don't like the sword either. It looks way too busy.

Maybe if they got rid of the side bits (blades?) and made an actual cutting edge.

ImpAtom posted:

No, sorry. I honestly don't remember that bit at all.

I'll try and find it then, thanks anyway :)

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 19, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo, Please don't say you just watched Advent children? :ohdear:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 19, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

I've never watched it. I'm thinking that's a good thing?

Yes. If you ever watch it, watch it only for the action scenes. Don't even try to think of it as a FF film of one of the games. It's hard to explain why without seeing it, but it's not so much a film, as it is a noninteractive cutscene that goes on for ninety minutes.

You'll go apeshit when you find out that Gackt is now a major character in the FFVII series:

He's like Sephiroth (experimented on with Jenova Cells, is a 1st class SOLDIER, goes mad, makes "clones", is a one-winged angel (only it's the other shoulder it's on) and performs the will of a powerful force (in this case, the personification of the planet itself, Minerva)), but he is also friends with Sephiroth, and looks up to him, as well as having a rivalry with him, blah, blah, blah.

It's authorised self-insert fanfiction. And it's awful. And that is Gackt, by the way. No bullshit.

He also sang two songs for Dirge of Cerberus: "Redemption" and "LONGING".

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The music is fine, and the best part, it's just the plot is mind numbing. Action scenes are pretty decent though. It's not every movie you see someone take on a summon.