Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bust-a-Move/Puzzle Bobble 4 is an amazing game. It has super fun mechanics and one of my favorite versus modes in any puzzle game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I'm playing X-2 on PS4. I rented it shortly after it came out over ten years ago (having enjoyed X), but I couldn't really get into it because I thought it was... well, a little weird. I still think it's a bit weird, but I decided to at least give it a go since I had the HD combo. It definitely has its charm, I'll give it that. I'm slowly getting into the battle style... I think.

I'm not very far in, but can you really lose out on completion points by forgetting to talk to people at just the right moments? Like, maybe you don't talk to Rikku and Paine after finishing the opening Gagazet mission, is that the completion over for you? I've been told before that you shouldn't really aim for 100% on your first playthrough so I'm not going to cry over it, but it seems a bit lame if true.

Also, what is up with Brother in this game.
You aren't intended to get 100 percent in a single playthrough, use the NG+.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

i hope they put in alma but whenever she enters the arenashe dies and delita takes over
Or she dies and Altima takes over.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I assume you actually meant Ovelia.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

i hope they add mewt randell
I hope they add him, then rip it all away.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Marche finds out that Tidus is a dream and becomes obsessed with killing him.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Excels posted:

Does anyone else feel like there has been a distinct "pushing-aside" of story and character development in favor of graphical fidelity? Seems like a lot of AAA games have come out lately with godly graphics and very shallow story/gameplay
Ah yes, this new and recent trend.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sunning posted:

It will probably be like FFXII or Dragon Age Inquisition where you have areas segmented into MMO-esq zones that open up as you progress through the story. So 'oh no, the car broke down and we can't cross into the next zone on foot' followed by 'oh no, a huge boulder is blocking the road that leads to the next zone,' and 'oh no, an eighteen vehicle pileup is blocking the highway and the prom is tomorrow!' You can go back to previously unlocked areas and do sidequests/hunts in them. I think that's the best way to balance the market's expectations and what the development team can actually pull off.
Snorlax is sleeping in the road...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sorry, Fat Chocobo.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Friendly reminder that FF7 is just Akira

Akira is Jenova, Tetsuo is Sephiroth, Kaneda is Cloud/Zack
Good, Akira kicks rear end.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Honestly I never found much of a reason to use magic by the time you get Cait and Vincent. You've already got enemy skills that are way more powerful, and aside from a couple outlier bosses / enemies that are a chore to kill without magic, most things go down just as quickly to physical attacks without having to worry about managing MP. By disc 2 I think the only spells I ever used were like Cure and Life, and summons once in a while if I wanted to watch the animations. Maybe I was just overleveled or something, but using magic always felt like taking the scenic route through battles.

Come to think of it, I feel like that about most FF games. I almost always end up building a party that just deals a shitload of physical damage. I think part of it is that I just have a low tolerance for seeing the same spell animations over and over, especially when they take multiple seconds longer than just hitting something with a sword.
My favorite FF9 final party was Zidane, Steiner, Freya, and Amaranth. All your healing is in battle through Reis' Wind, but it's great since FF9's long animations make regen crazy powerful. And then you just breeze through battles because your damage output is insane.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Admoon posted:

It's really hard for me not to use Vivi but I was thinking of running something like this the next time I play 9.
It's extremely good. If you swap Eiko out for Zidane it's the best endgame party that exists and is basically untouchable.

Not sure what the best party for dealing with Ozma is, I never bothered.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

All I care about a Final Fantasy game is a good story and characters I like. That's why I couldn't stand the pre-7 games, even though I dragged myself through them.
FF6 has a great story and characters...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Try holding Up + B when the auctioneer's about to announce the next item.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

We're posting extremely awesome moments from FF games, right?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Momomo posted:

So I'm trying FFV again (mobile version, it was literally free) and I want to try and get Blue Magic. How does getting it work, does the mage need to have a skill equipped or anything? Also, how missable are they? I'm at a boss that's a mage lady and her tank husband, and she uses aero, but getting it to hit Galuf in particular is not really working.
Blue Mages have inherent Learning, they'll learn attacks when they get hit by them. You can also put Learning as your secondary skill on other classes after like... a level of Blue Mage.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

9 is the best game in the series, and it's very strange to me that everyone doesn't realize this.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Reik posted:

Just recently played through FFT: War of the Lions on android, never owned a PSP so it was my first time. I get irrationally upset at the direction they took the FFT franchise. There was so much depth in FFT that if they had worked on balance and made a legit sequel it would've killed, instead they dumbed it down and put it on their handheld. Don't get me wrong, I love my 3DS, but I have spent hours researching and trying to find a tactical RPG with as good a job/customization system and nothing compares. What gives?
The franchise you actually want to play is Tactics Ogre.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

The ending reveal and complete switch into DBZ was super lame. Ill agree the first part intill the airship fight with the black mage was really cool.
Nothing about this game's plot has anything in common with DBZ except that at one point, a character becomes more powerful.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Goku, was put on Earth to destroy it, but had an accident and lost his memory.
Zidane was put on Gaia to facilitate it's own destruction, but lost his memory due to an accident.
Wow, you're a moron, huh?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

All I want out of FF9 pc is lagless battles. Hell, if they have to choose between lagless fights and 60fps then this will be the one time I will hold my Framerate Police badge.
When you say lagless, do you mean the camera spinning at the start to cover loading times?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

Battles had a nasty habbit of having some horrendous command to action lag exhasibated by the 20(ish) fps.
I guess I never noticed. The last time I played it on an actual console I was like 12.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Dear SE please let this port not be a garbage fire, thank you.
They haven't completely remade the sprites or designed a menu interface in Flash, so it has to be better than their phone ports of 5, 6, and Chrono Trigger.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Epi Lepi posted:

Question, what were the development cycles like tha t ended up with both 8 and 9 coming out in 1999. Was 9 all a B-Team or something?
9 was originally going to be a short game, one disc, called Final Fantasy Gaiden. It's why the game starts out with this small adventure scope, and a lot of the really big stuff shows up toward the end of the game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Which is kinda bad considering how drat quickly previous FF games were pumped out before the merger. I mean, being a late game kinda hurt 9 as well but a lot of people still worship it.
Even given how elaborate older FF games were for the time, I'm guessing it still took way less time and money to make one.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mega64 posted:

I'm saddened Emperor Mateus has died (again). Truly an inspiration for many future androgynous Final Fantasy antagonists.

He and Kuja are friends, and they hang out.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

corn in the fridge posted:

who, exactly, is the target audience for this??
People who buy fine handbags.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

12 did a great job of letting debuffs be useful against bosses and hunts. Unfortunately, your best choice for the first half of the game is to just get really long Quickening chains.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Baal posted:

I dunno, X gets pretty stupid
What are you talking abo-- [Seymour's hair slowly comes into frame]

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I love FFXII, but it's just me. I'm the only one.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Magic animation in FFXII is going to make a way bigger difference. Only one spell can be on-screen at a time, but characters can keep using physical attacks. So you can prevent magic-heavy enemies from acting by using spells with long animations (mostly black magic) and you can focus on physical attacks to keep attacking through enemy spells.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Armitage posted:

Is there anything else of note in the Necrohol of Nabudis besides the Zodiac Spear? I wanted to go to the hidden merchant that's apparently there, and I'm still getting my poo poo kicked in despite my guys being levels 57-60. Not only that but I think I accidentally triggered some undead ghost guy that teleports and that went as well as I expected it to.
Zodiac/Zodiark, whatever it's called, is there. I think you might have to get all the other Espers though, it's been a while.

But yes, that place will kick the poo poo out of you just getting there.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MrAristocrates posted:

Nah that's the Henne Mines, which are even worse
Can you farm for a Zodiac Spear as a random drop in the Henne Mines? I could have sworn it was in the same place as Zodiark.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think it either clicks with you or it doesn't.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I played without gambits and it was just a fun real-time version of classic FF gameplay.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

plz dont troll
It's way more fun. It's all about fast strategy and timing. You can see some of FF13's roots in it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I love FF12 but it has one of the worst beginning sections I've seen in a game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think it's cool they're putting Agrias in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

How does he smell?