Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The popular Final Fantasy character, Ramzle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ramza 1/2

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Seriously though, I hope the fuckable Ramza is a woman, because otherwise hoo boy howdy oh no [tugs at collar and goes "yeesh"]

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Can't believe how clearly one can differentiate between Ramza's labia majora and minora on his model. hosed up how female it is.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ramza 1/2: Hard Motivation

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's almost as though removing these characters entirely from the situations that normally drive them would change their motivations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Gilgamesh was super fun underleveled without gambits. I worked out a successful strategy that was all about casting Reverse with perfect timing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

i worked out a successful strategy that was all about my main party getting one hit in and then dying, then subbing them out with the b team and using phoenix downs with perfect timing
Gitgudgamesh

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Armitage posted:

Well, I saw there's an Esper called Ultima but it looks like I definitely need to be 99 in order to stand a chance to get to it.
Not even a little bit true. FF12 is not that hard, you shouldn't need to be as high-level as you are to do things.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ultima also isn't the final esper, who you also don't have to be at level 99 to get.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

But I meant just on a casual blind playthrough. Getting to Ultima is harder than fighting her, but you should be able to handle it at your level.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I still remember this guide:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/459841-final-fantasy-xii/faqs/45900

It's dense but super helpful, there's tons of poo poo FF12 never tells you.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

In fairness, I don't like Fran's voice, either. In a game with such great acting, she and Vaan really stand out. They're not terrible but they're just not anywhere near as good as most everyone else.

The only thing I'd change in sme sort of remake of XII is to make Larsa a playable character. Just replace Vaan with him. Larsa''s more important than every playable character other than Ashe, anyway.
But he's also only occasionally in the same place as the party at the same time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TommyGun85 posted:

Chrono Cross had....
"Bring it in, boys!" *every character from every reality in Chrono Cross comes in to be a HUGE useless piece of poo poo*

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Man, that game was such a mess.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I sincerely want someone to release a bunch of production details about it. I would read a book about what happened. Something crazy must have been going on behind the scenes, because there are some bizarre decisions there.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Chrono Cross seriously feels like they started making one game and ended up with another midway through. Maybe they picked game ideas by throwing darts while yelling "I'm doing Yakra's needle attack!"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

McDragon posted:

Shadow Hearts 2 had a wolf
Blanca is my favorite video game dog.

He has an ongoing sidequest where you have to meet a bunch of other powerful dogs and defeat them in solo combat.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

There are so many things to like about Chrono Cross, but it's still not good. It is very interesting, though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I feel like a game being interesting is better than it being good. It's why I prefer MGS2 to 3.
MGS2 is my favorite too, but it's genuinely a good game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Man, FFVIII is a lot of things but I don't know if I'd call it derivative of anything other than FFVII.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

xedo posted:

Was Threads of Fate weird or memorable? I mean, with that kind of company I'd expect it to be a really charming and bizarre title, but I've never heard anything about it.
Both. It gets overshadowed because Brave Fencer Musashi did platformer RPG better but it's neat. Not great, but if you have the ability it's worth a look.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Shadow Hearts 3 is a mess, yeah. It has all the elements of something quirky and interesting but it's just not that memorable.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Choo CAW bwah

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Seffsa, the clown prince of crime.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lulu Dallas doublecast

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tae posted:

The technical limitation for FFX included having to literally match the length and cadence of the japanese voice file or else the game didn't run.

The localization of FFX coming out in one piece was a miracle by itself.
Literally laughing out loud at this post. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Barudak posted:

That villain Bangaa from 12 who is a skippable fight and never shows up again in the plot is a recruitable party memeber in Revanent Wings but if you're a remotely normal person who played 12 you reading this sentence thinking I made that character up.
I remembered Ba'Gamnan, he's a fun optional hunt later.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I don't understand how you can not like Ni No Kuni. It has all the charm of Dragon Quest mixed with all the charm of Studio Ghibli. I love it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oh noooooo the video game is childish, children might enjoy the video game, it's not serious or mature at all and it does not appeal to me, a grown-up gamer who almost never spills his apple juice even with a grown-up cup.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

14 does some neat stuff with dungeons and party matching, but the setting and characters are really dull. An MMO that really goes for one of Final Fantasy's crazy pseudomodern technomagic worlds would have been great, but FF14 just takes place in a very boring world. I really wanted to like it, but it just didn't hold me.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It was bizarre, because I expected to hate the MMO mechanics and enjoy playing an FF game, but instead I liked the MMO mechanics and felt disappointed because it wasn't FF enough.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

How far did you get into it? It really does feel like another generic fantasy setting at the beginning, but you get a lot of magic sci-fi stuff as the plot progresses with the Garlean Empire and the ancient Allagans.
Level 40. I figured it would pick up, but I kept playing, and it kept not. I thought it was going to get good when the Empire showed up with all their crazy FF12 technomagic stuff, but then it didn't. I never really interacted with them much.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Here's my FF rankings, I mostly organized things into tiers because trying to pick personal preferences is an insane exercise.

1: FF6, FF9 - This is the series operating on all cylinders. The sendoffs to the series' two peak eras, pushing the limits of the hardware, with all-around solid classic FF mechanics.

2. FF5, FF7 - Five has some of the best battle and classic mechanics in the series, but a weak plot. 7 has a strong plot (marred in the U.S. by an iffy translation) and amazing worldbuilding, especially in disc 1, but it's incredibly easy and battles aren't all that interesting.

3. FFX-2, FFXIII-3 - Two weird, charming sequels manage to surpass the games they came after. They're memorable, they do interesting things with the mechanics, and they're a lot of fun. They don't quite match up to the epic scope of the main-line games, but they're really good.

4. FF1, FF4, FF10, FF12, FF13-1, FF13-2 - The first Final Fantasy was really interesting for its time, and it's aged better than 2 or 3. 4 pushed the series forward, but like 1, 10, and 13, getting used to the new tech means the game hasn't aged amazingly. 12 is controversial, but it's all-around fine. It has its issues, it does some cool things. Production was kind of a mess. 13 tried a lot of new things, but it has a lot of 10's issues: it's very linear, and players aren't given a lot of interesting options in terms of character building or battles for most of the game. 13-2 is about on par with 13-1. It does some neat things but doesn't improve on 13 as much as 13-3.

5. FF8 - This is the category where we start to get into bad game territory, although it's hard to pin 8 down, hence why it gets its own category. The world is cool and flavorful, the plot is an unbelievable mess. Junctioning makes for some neat character choice things, but battles can get tedious with the Draw system. Has some cool setpieces, but... I honestly have to wonder if there weren't a lot of production issues or something.

6. FF2, FF3 - 2 made a lot of really bizarre choices. Remakes improved on them a little, but it's still just a total mess. 3 is probably the worst game in the series - the job system is cool, but the balance is totally non-existent. They didn't really figure that out until 5. The DS remake somehow makes things worse, somehow emphasizing the long, no-save-point dungeons. But the music is gorgeous, so there's that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I didn't rank the MMOs because legitimately I have no idea how to compare them reasonably to the main series. I also didn't do Tactics or the spinoffs.

I also tried not to rank things based on my personal preference, but instead what I felt was a fair understanding of their strengths and weaknesses, hence having a lot of games in the middle. For instance, I would put 12 up and 7 further down if it was just which games I liked.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

This is part of the reason why episode FF7Remake could be loving awesome because they can have peaks and valleys moreso than a standard game
I am extremely excited for this. It's going to own so hard, and I've never really been into 7.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

I agree nearly 100% but I put XIII-1 in Tier 1 because of the way they designed combat and levelling up in that game.
There's some really cool stuff in 13, but there are a lot of legitimate criticisms too. It doesn't give players much choice for a lot of the game, and I think it takes a while before the interesting combat starts to kick in. There's a lot of hours where you're just going through the motions, and I get why (they needed to introduce a whole new way of playing) but 13-3 lets you jump in a lot sooner. I think it's a good game, but I can't fault people for not being that into it, hence the middle rating. All the games there are good but have some issues (10), or else are going to have pretty specific appeal (12).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

7 also has a problem of combat being really simple and pretty tedious for a long time, but I give it a high ranking just because it really pushed what the FF series could do in terms of scope and storytelling (although 6 gets a ton of credit there as well).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

One of the things that makes the FF series cool is that they're willing to try totally crazy stuff with each new game. Dragon Quest slowly refined and polished its mechanics with each game, and does a great job with it. Final Fantasy took a successful first game and followed it up with a very controversial sequel that did a lot of really weird things, and that's awesome even if the game wasn't great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

10 isn't bad. None of the games in that tier are bad. 10 has some issues, but they don't ruin it. It does plenty of cool stuff. It has solid character writing. The plot is fine. It just isn't exceptionally great at anything like the games above it. 10 did a good job of moving the series to the PS2, but it doesn't have a lot going on that other games in the series didn't do better.