Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ROFL Octopus posted:

What about when it tells you every time you changed history in Chrono Trigger you doomed millions of people to eternal purgatory
Lmao I forgot that. Chrono Cross is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

This was actually my problem with Chrono Trigger. Why are they even doing any of this? Frog wants to gently caress up Magus because Magus ruined his life, Magus wants to gently caress up Lavos because Lavos ruined his life, and the rest are just there because the game needs heroes. They literally have no motivation as Lavos is roughly 1000 years in their future and they find out about all this very shortly after their time traveling made Marle blip out of existence. So instead of saying "time travel is dangerous, let's not do it again." they took the exact opposite lesson and said "let's screw with history on an unprecedented scale."
So to confirm: You think Chrono Trigger would be better if the lead characters, rather than go on an adventure to save the world when they learn it will be destroyed, should just go home and say "well, it'll be a thousand years before the world is destroyed, let's go home and forget all that."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

zedprime posted:

Well that's what I would do in the situation
Really?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I just want them to have some more concrete motivations than bland, brainless altruism. I like origin stories like Spider-Man because it's very realistic. When given superpowers, what is the first thing you'd do with them? Go out and make some money. It's not selfish or wrong, you're helping those you love. Going out and fighting crime though is just craziness.

It took a great personal shock to turn Peter into what he became. Frog and Magus have powerful reasons to do what they do and it makes them compelling characters. The "kids" meanwhile are just like "let's save the world!" and that's all the thought put into it. That's just not interesting to me.

Plus I just don't like the inconsistency. The first use of time travel in CT is distinctly cautionary. One little thing in one little kingdom had some repercussions. But our heroes proceed to abuse time travel for the rest of the game in ways that could have devastating consequences. (and Chrono Cross seems to have taken that idea and ran with it)
They're presented with a single chance that nobody else has ever had to save the world, and they take it. They're the only ones who are traveling through time who know about Lavos. So they do the thing any sane human being would do: try to stop it. It's not complicated. You're just asking Chrono Trigger to be a completely different piece of fiction, and for reasons that don't actually make any sense for the game or its world or its direction or its writing or

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

tl;dr I'm increasingly concerned that goons don't get fiction.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

GulagDolls posted:

ffuck saving the world.....we should like....pick up babes from every single era
This is the plot of my CT romhack sequel.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ROFL Octopus posted:

Sorry you're so loving broke-brained that you can't understand the motivation here but Chrono Trigger remains popular because people from all walks of life can identify with protecting the planet they grew up on, even if it doesn't affect them in their lifetime.

I think I've ragged on Chrono Cross long enough but it's missing this undercurrent of hope that is present in every final fantasy. Even FFX, which is pretty much designed around death and destruction, has Tidus, who is pretty much symbolic of hope and change.
There's nothing wrong with a sense of melancholy or a downbeat RPG: see FF Tactics. The problem with CC is that it's incredibly inconsistent in tone. It feels like several games mashed together.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ROFL Octopus posted:

Actually I've never played FFT :shobon:. Is the PS1 or PSP version better, for a total outsider?
PS1 patched to have the PSP translation. It's easy to find online. The PSP version runs slow and the bonus content is skippable.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tae posted:

If you're patching games, it's easier and better to play the PSP version because PPSSPP is a way better emulator.
I had a really good PS1 emulator setup back when I was using emulators, so you may be right. I remembered the emulated PSP version still having the slowdown?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tae posted:

I'm saying if you're suggesting ps1-patched PSP translation, there's already a PSP version with slowdown removed.
Oh lol. I guess I never found it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TurnipFritter posted:

My friend let me tell you about a little game called Ever Oasis.
Is this good? I love Level 5.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Phantasium posted:

It's not Level 5, it's by Grezzo, which did the OoT and Majora remakes on 3DS, and is headed by Koichi Ishii who created the Mana series. The game is Mana as gently caress but with like Zelda dungeons instead of just pretty environments to pass through (though it's still pretty).
Oh, I thought it was Level 5. I guess the art style just looks similar to Fantasy Life.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

I gave the demo of World of Final Fantasy a try, and the speed of battle just ruined it for me.
You can adjust this.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

seiferguy posted:

Hot take: while obviously Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross have some amazing musical pieces (either field / town / event), their battle music is extremely forgettable. CT's superboss music (i.e. the one that plays during Masamune and the Son of Sun) is meh, especially when compared to Battle to the Death from FF6.
Nobody will dispute this. CT's biggest weakness as a game is its main battle theme, and the bit where you chase the rat.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Phantasium posted:

lmao at this Dissidia survey I got sent asking me to choose the ad-copy for the game.

Also asking me to rank potential box arts when one has already been chosen.
They're doing another Dissidia?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cool, I thought Dissidia was a neat idea but never got into it. It's still very cool to me that Kuja can get jealous of Terra's style and try to murder her for stealing his look.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Which I assume is most of the plot of Dissidia.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Why would you do it then?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mega64 posted:

If you can’t say that you’ve 100% a Final Fantasy game can you really say you’ve lived a complete life?
But why that one?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Gologle posted:

1 out of 3 ain't bad, thats how the old song goes right?
Your whole thing is real boring.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

Beat FF12 last night. Heck of a ride. I really liked it except for Pharos tower and the optional upper great crystal area which were unfun slogs. I wish they explained what happened to Venat and the Occurrians after the ending. Everyone claimed they broke free from Occurrian control but there's nothing that shows that.
Don't worry, you can always play the DS sequel.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's on my Christmas list!
I was joking, don't play it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The best Final Fantasy villain is clearly the concept of a monotheistic god.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I borrowed Dissidia NT from a friend, and I don't even get what I'm supposed to be doing in it. How do I keep track of enemies? What am I trying to do? What on earth is going on? The game seems like kind of a mess.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TheHoosier posted:

Finished FF4 sans Lunar Ruins and I'm on Disc 4 of FF9. Just beat Ozma whilst on the shitter, which is no more than that meteor-flinging gently caress deserves.

FF4 was really charming. I'm not a fan of ATB but it didn't hurt this game at all. Ive never had an FF villain call me an 'ignorant dotard' so points for that I guess. I plan on finishing the postgame later.

FF9 is also very charming thus far. The characters are mostly a joy, with only Amarant and Quina being kinda meh. They're fun to use in battle, at least.

After this ill only have 2, 12, 13, and 15 as FF mainline games ive never played. Ill probably wait for 12 on Switch, so it'll be between the other 3.
Amarant gets some good character moments with Freya and Eiko, I think they do a decent job given how little time they have to develop him.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Squall shares more genuine moments of connection with Quistis than Rinoa.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The best romances in an FF game are Zidane/Garnet, Balthier/Fran, and Umaro/Mog

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I really like Balthier and Fran's relationship. It's all backstory but they genuinely seem like a couple who love each other and have been together a long time and are comfortable together. It's the most adult and mature relationship in the series.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

selphie's three character traits are a) perky, b) trains, and c) a barely-concealed proclivity for hideous violence
She's an RPG character, they're all capable of cutting down thousands of living things.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Barudak posted:

Unless its FFX where I dont think the party kills a single living thing.
No, you kill a bunch of Yevon soldiers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Due to 4's rigidity, I also think it has the strongest 'character development through gameplay mechanics' than the rest of the series.
I don't like 4 but this is 100 percent true. FF9 comes close with things like sword magic, Garnet's disc-3 issues, and the way it uses Trance, but it's not as big a focus for the game. 4 does it all the way up to the end with the Golbez/Fu-So-Ya battle against Zeromus.