Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

AzraelNewtype posted:

X doesn't have the ATB system at all, but X-2 has the best incarnation of the ATB system Square ever developed. X is the one and only instance of the Conditional Turn-based Battle system. Mega Man X Command Mission ripped it off fairly wholesale, in case you're ever bored and masochistic and want something new that handles that way. But really, you probably should forget that I mentioned it, only tears lie that way.

I thought it was referred to in game by that name, but perhaps not.

In any case, it was the best method of arranging turns and actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah that all sounds really horrible. At least the original FFVI is quaint with its odd word choice in places and not desperately trying to make an R-rated game.

Why do people latch onto this stuff, when the meat of the romhack is the altered abilities and equipment?

"Keep your hands off my FFVI", I guess.

Seriously, it's fun. Try it out before dismissing it.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Kanpachi posted:

I'm with you. But man, I've been eager enough for someone to grease FF6's wheels that I might be willing to overlook it. I probably have the original script memorized anyway.

If it's about as tough as FF4DS was without grinding, I'll be over the moon.

e: Active / Battle Speed 1 for life :getin:

The mod strongly recommends you play on Wait mode because of all the new mechanics, but good luck, brother!

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah uh can we get nomura matsuno back please

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Oh hey, another gameplay image has been released:

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Himuro posted:

The dialogue also isn't noticeably hard to read or understand, but wow, it's such a step up from FF4 - the only FF I've played in Japanese - in terms of kanji use, it's as if FF targeted a totally different age bracket by the time of FF8's release.

That may be. It might also be a technical issue. The resolution on the 8bit and 16bit systems makes it hard to display the more complicated kanji without making it look like a giant mess.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Endorph posted:

Not Final Fantasy, but you can see it in Persona too. Aigis has blonde hair and blue eyes, Teddie has blonde hair and blue eyes, they're both non-humans whose character arc is about trying to fit into human society.

In Final Fantasy, you can see it with Zidane, too.

This should about cover them all:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PhenotypeStereotype

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

I was always bummed that they felt like they had to replace Lulu. She was really cool, in a non-traditional FF strong woman kinda way. And then they cut her out of Wakka's Angels and replaced her with a teenager.

Yeah Paine's not terrible though.

I thought Lulu hooking up with Wakka and having a baby was a perfect way to show that life has moved on. A late 30 something lady wouldn't fit the whole Yu-Ri-Pa style anyway.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

Uh, she was 22 in X, and 24 in X-2. She's not that old, she just seems like it next to crack-head Rikku.

That hardly changes the point. It's about how she acts, and while a mother hen has a place in X, not so much in X-2.

Edit: Also she was only "22" because of silly anime age conventions.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

It's a dumb theory but Squall gets impaled with a giant shard of ice and is ok 5 minutes later so I can at least see how it started

It's a dumb theory because anime/games are incapable of introducing some psychological twist without beating the viewer/player over the head with German psychobabble. If the latter half of the game was a dream, the writers wouldn't be able to restrain themselves.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

This mindset is exactly what was wrong with FFXI, wisdom I can only impart as a JRPG old man at 27. XIV respects your time. The only aspect that doesn't is relic weapons, and even one part of that process is getting patched Monday for being a lovely grind.

Oh? I unsubbed a month or so ago. What's changing?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Atma drop rate "more than doubled", cost of Animus books effectively halved (it appears by all information that Myth to Soldiery will be a 1:1 conversion, and Animus books are gonna be 750 Soldiery next patch instead of 1500 Myth).

Oh cool. Is this the 2.4 patch coming up? Will they be unlocking Syrcus?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Sweet! I have a couple other games I've been playing, but I'll probably come back in a few months.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

So, I started up the ffx-2 side of the HD collection, and threw this new "festivalist" class onto Yuna to try it out, and she throws down a 1.7k firaga on the first boss of the game. Not bad, if a bit broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Don Gato posted:

She can already light people on fire by waving her arms around, attacks with possibly possessed dolls and wears a dress made out of belts and fur in a tropical climate. Nothing about her actually makes sense so conversely her keeping the same model despite being pregnant actually makes sense :goonsay:!

Or, all those things, so if you could get over all that only to be upset that she doesn't have a baby bump, well...