Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Oh why not. I've played FF5 a few times but never beaten it, I'ma do this and just see how far I get. If I do beat the game I will be very surprised. Though I'll probably play through normally in the meantime, at least to get used to the game again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I really tried to like XI but I hated it for two really silly reasons.

1) The Tarutaru and Mithra are the most ridiculous, stupid loving fan service bullshit races they possibly could have done and were COMPLETELY out of place in a Final Fantasy game. There was so much other cool poo poo they could have done, like all the different races you see in IX; the ticket booth guy, the Qu, the Burmecian, whatever Amarant is. But no, they went with a stupidly cute tiny infant thing and a cat girl.

2) The word "Hume" makes me want to vomit.

So yeah, two really dumb reasons, but they were things that really grated the gently caress on me when I tried to play. Then I found out about how much of a ridiculous grind the game is and decided I just didn't have the energy for it. Basically I went in expecting an actual Final Fantasy game with online components and got a weird anime mai waifu kawaii grind for the rest of your life game. Was a pretty big letdown.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I would have liked FF4 DS a lot more if you could switch to 2d graphics, sort of like what The Dark Spire did. I really need to get a PSP though one of these days so I can have games like FF5 on a portable device (I have a DSI, so no GBA slot), even if that port wasn't as good.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I just dicked around with FF4 DS again after it sat in my shelf for a few months, I've never played it before. Is it just me or is this game way harder than others in the series? I'm only a couple hours in and the underground waterway was a huge pain in the rear end. Then I got to the boss and it nearly oneshot Rydia, who died and missed out on fight exp because I ran out of pheonix downs. Now she's even further behind at 15 while Cecil is 19 and Tellah was 18. I also had a really hard time when I first got her and she was way underlevelled, I had to grind for a good 45 minutes to get comfortable with fights and I was still having to use magic all the time in the waterway on random mobs. Now I have Edward in the same situation.

And what's with this game and terrifying boss monsters? The octomammoth and antlion are both horrible. :gonk:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

fount of knowledge posted:

I guess I'm just used to every Final Fantasy from VI -> XII, since "unit that automatically and singularly uses "Attack"" would be an entirely viable way to clear those games. :v:

It can work for everything if you're overlevelled, EXCEPT for two boss fights. One, where you only have a 1/6th chance of hitting the actual boss, and not hitting the boss auto casts Demi on you. The other is the last one, where you need to kill all the targets at the same time more or less. It's been done, but with thousands of attempts with an emulator, or with the last boss, something like two dozen copies of the emulator running with an automated script to check if the boss died or not, running over several days.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

Space Pope aka Robo-Pope, Anime-Uma Thurman, Not-Saix and Cid. And the robo-Owl. And Hope's mother's corpse. And Serah "She's-not-16-Pscicom-officer,-we-swear!" Farron. And Sazh's uncanny valley son. And Team "NOmura's DisgaRded FAshion Rejects" aka Team NORA.

They of course, get barely any screen time in the bloated mess of the story. You could say that the greatest antagonist for the game, is the game itself.

Oh christ, Dajh. I honestly think the character artists were stoned when they designed him. He's supposed to be six years old but looks like a terrifying robot infant creature thing. How did they think that was not creepy as poo poo? :psyduck: I honestly think every FF game since X would be ten times better if the character designers would get over that ridiculous overoveroverdesigned pseudo-futuristic emo teenager steampunk bullshit and go back to medieval fantasy.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

So has revenantkioku's run started yet or is that tonight?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Uuuuugh his run is starting so eeearlyyyyy. :negative: (in about 3 hours by the way according to Twitter) Anyone know if it's going to be recorded so I can watch it later if I have to?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

@Harahune can now use the Wind Job 'Black Mage'. Boom.

Not too bad. Not as good as Blue Mage but I don't have to putz around getting the spells.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Thanks to fast forwarding with an emulator, I got to the water crystal really quickly, and got Time Mage. Not sure how I feel about Black Mage/Time Mage, but Haste/Slow will be very nice at least.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

And now I have Beastmaster, the only class I never used in FFV. Well this will be entertaining at the very least. Except I have no idea how the class really works so I have to do some reading. :shobon:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I'm pretty sure I'm just not playing the game right at this point. I'm at the desert of the shifting sands, and thus far I've only used black magic for 98% of everything, with the occasional Haste/Slow/Gravity. I haven't even caught anything yet, though I was going to catch a dhorme chimera for the Sandworm fight but I just couldn't stay alive long enough to catch it. Once I have better Time spells I'll use those more, but right now I'm not having any real issues just nuking things with magic and the appropriate boosting staff.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 16, 2012

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Star Platinum posted:

Gilgabot seems to be busted, he hasn't given out jobs in over 20 minutes now.

I got Thief as my wind job, haven't really has any trouble at all. Garula took me a couple of tries until I got Mythril Knives for everyone and had the sense to use the back row. This is also the first time I've ever used the "memory" setting for the cursor in FF.

Yeah, it's been almost an hour now, and I just broke the Earth crystal, so I'll wait to keep going until it starts back up. It's a sign I should take a break, at least.

ETA: Ahhah, if you check your list on the players page, it has your jobs, so it's just the tweeting part that's broken. I got Samurai thank GOD, I desperately needed physical damage. I was only able to kill Archeoaevis by using my Beastmaster's plain old Whip to gradually whittle down his second form while using everyone else to spam potions/pheonix downs/buffs.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I'm enjoying Black Mage/Time Mage/Beastmaster/Samurai run so far, but I feel like I have no synergy with the classes at all. They don't really benefit each other, so I'm pretty much just pumping out as much damage as possible. Gravity into Catch is pretty handy though, but other than catching the right monsters for a good spell for a specific fight, in general I feel very weak.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I'm really enjoying the fiesta so far, I'd like to give it another shot after I finish my first run, how do I register again? Can I start over with my same Twitter account?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Okay, this is a really stupid question, but how the gently caress do I submerge the airship in world 3? I'm trying to get into the cave by Istory Falls and I can not figure out how to submerge, just go from air to on the water.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

No. Ugh, I have to do that first? I don't have a Reflect Ring for Omniscient, because I didn't have a Thief or the Thief Knife to steal any earlier, and I couldn't manage to kill the Reflect Knights.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 23, 2012

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Holy crap, I did it! :dance: I hope just this picture is enough, my pictures of each character's stat thing at the end got screwed up and I only have Faris and Bartz.

It only took a few tries, but I ended up getting SUPER lucky. I had Fire Rings on everyone so I could have some form of easy group healing. Barts also had an Aegis Shield, and Faris took the Bone Mail. Yes, that's Faris and Lenna zombie'd, which was hilarious because Lenna had the Magus Staff, and her melee attacks would heal whoever she hit, and Faris had the Fire Whip, doing the same but randomly. They ended up soaking a ton of damage for me while Bartz used Zeninage until I ran out of money and Flare after, and Krile just spammed Meteor.

I started with the Magic Lamp to instakill the one bit. I was going to save the bottom part for last to use Break on, but then I got super lucky/unlucky and in using the Lamp a few more times for Carbuncle and Golem, it petrified that part, so I had the upper two. I decided to keep going and just damaged them as hard as I could, and ended up killing him on my third try.

This was a hell of a lot of fun, and like I thought, the extra challenge was how I paid enough attention to the game to see it through. Definitely re-registering.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Just started my second run and got White Mage. I was hoping for something more interesting like Knight or Blue Mage, but this will be a nice change from no healing whatsoever for most of the game.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Use a Magic Lamp to summon Catoblepas to cast Break, instantly killing the bottom-right part of NeoExDeath, which is the part that casts Almagest.

Yeah, this. Catoblepas is the sixth summon, the third (Odin) will instakill I think the rear section. Bahamut, Leviathan, and Syldra all do tons of multi target damage along the way, and Golem and Carbuncle give useful buffs.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

jivjov posted:

I know this has been discussed, but I can't find the specific posts to save my life. I want to get FFV and VI, are the ones up for purchase on PSN utterly horrible, or are they serviceable
enough for a play through? I know the GBA versions are pretty much better, but those seem to be hard to track down for a reasonable price.

I can't speak for 6, but the GBA version of 5 is the best one. The one on PSN is fine but the loading times for battles are about two seconds, every single time. The GBA release also has some bonus content. The PSN one is prettier though with some remade graphics.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Theatrhythm looks fun as hell and I'll be picking it up once I have a 3DS, but my God does that art style bug me. It is absolutely not cute or likable or anything, just loving creepy soulless uncanney valley dollface things. No personality, no emotion, absolutely nothing in the faces. They are :geno: personified. The pictures from the other game were even worse with the Mickey and Donald costume things. I can see how it'd work in other games or settings, but in Final Fantasy with music that's largely fun and cheerful or at least energetic and tense, and with all the big colorful monsters and backgrounds, and then all the games it uses material from with their stories and characters? No.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I enjoyed FF4 DS but I really, really wish they had an option to change to 2d sprite based graphics instead. The 3d just doesn't look that great, especially the character models. It's one very small step above original PS1.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Stoat posted:

Has there been any talk of a DS remake of FF5? It's my favourite of the old games and I feel with a brush of paint (and maybe a fun new job or two) it would be really really great.

The latest news I could find about V (and VI) is that they were having 'technical issues' (Article here). I really hope it happens :ohdear:

That post was made two years ago, so I doubt it. It'd be great though, since your only options for playing it legitimately in English are getting a GBA cart or the pretty awful PS1 port. Why doesn't Nintendo offer GBA games in the 3DS store aside from Ambassador crap most people don't have access to? Why do they hate money!?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Since I've never played it before, how should I build my characters in FFXII? I remember reading a few pages back that the stuff on GameFAQs was garbage. This is the regular version, not the International people are always talking about as I have no way of playing it. Also, is there any way to reverse the camera controls? They're really, really awkward for me.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

FFXII stuff posted:

:words:

Thanks! Will make note of these. I'm really glad to hear that I can just focus on three party members instead of switching people out constantly for plot reasons, that always drives me loving crazy when I've been leveling up a certain character and then POOF they're gone for six hours and I have to use the lovely under leveled character with no gear.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I just started playing FF1+2: DoS since I never really played the originals for NES, and sweet making GBS threads Jesus, is the encounter rate this high in the original games too? Just walking from Cornelia to Matoya's cave to give her the crystal eye, I fought about 30 monster battles, all of which I was massively overleveled for yet I still had trouble running sometimes and I was constantly being ambushed.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I remember playing and loving FFT as a kid back when Blockbuster still (was around?) rented PS1 games. I've tried to pick it back up a couple of times, but thanks to the R1/L1 thing, both times I just game over'd at the second battle. :suicide: I haven't put forth any real effort to the game since then because me and SRPGS have a very rocky relationship.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 19, 2012

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Making my way through FFV Advance right now, and it seems really easy. Most boss fight seem to boil down to: ninja attacks, Mystic Knight casts a spell, Gravity, Black Magic spell, and if he's not dead by then the Mystic Knight's next attack will surely finish him off. I seem to recall the SNES version being a bit harder. Did they rebalance it that much or do I just know the game too well and have too much routine?

I agree with Zombies' Downfall; it's a fairly easy game, but that's what I like about it. It will get harder later on when a lot more enemies and bosses are immune to things or have more resistances or use nastier attacks, but it's a very casual FF game, which for me leaves a lot of room for experimentation with crazy job combos, and I can pick it up and play it with very little effort on my part. The GBA version does have some extra endgame content though that can wreck your poo poo if you're not prepared, though at that point you can max out every job extremely quickly and just trial and error the fights for a few minutes before figuring out what you're supposed to be doing.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Yeah, use those summons to good effect (the Magic Lamp is a godsend for that fight, too). And grind a few levels if you have to.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Why do they decide on the stupidest game titles possible?

WHY!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I already have Final Fantasy Tactics on the PSN for my PS3. I'm getting a PSP soon, is it worth getting The War of the Lions for that if I already have the PS1 version?