Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Are save-states and emulator fast-forward allowed?

Mega64 posted:

You can bet I'll be using fast-forward through the cutscenes.

I've been playing the FF5A Custom Classes mod on my DS Lite and man, do I wish I could speed through the story scenes.

But then you'll be missing out on all the superfluous nodding characters do! How else will you be able to enjoy the game, if you don't see the party nodding at Cid and Mid every few seconds? :v:

Hedera Helix fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Eggie posted:

Is there an IRC channel for the Fiesta? It'd be great to have a chatroom where competitors can rapidly swap advice.

I have a feeling I'll be needing advice a lot.

I actually just finished a White Mage/Summoner/Bard/Chemist Fiesta, so if you end up getting one of these jobs, here are some things I found out that might be helpful:

* Up through Galura, four White Mages don't actually have any real problems. While they don't do that much damage to enemies with their staves, and you only have one flail, the early enemies don't do that much damage either. The battles take a long time, but they are still quite trivial and can be fast-forwarded through. You don't necessarily need to make one of the party members a Bare.
* The Sylph and Remora summons are invaluable early on. Don't forget to use Remora on the Gigas enemies in Karnak Castle. Once you get Shiva/Ifrit/Ramuh, these will be your main methods of attack, then Titan, then later on Syldra, then Bahamut.
* Phoenix is great. Not only does it revive a party member with full HP, it also gives them full MP, as well.
* Odin was used a lot in the Cleft Of Dimension, from enemies where it would have taken too long to run from without losing at least one party member.
* Golem's duration can be effectively doubled by casting Armor on everyone, or by using Protect Drinks or Big Guard (if you have the classes that can use these, of course).
* Carbunkle is less helpful than you'd think. It can still be useful, but Wall Rings are better.
* Shoat is useful in exactly two fights: against Odin, and against Twin Tania.
* Vitality Song, Requiem, and Speed Song are the three most important songs. Vitality Song will help give you some breathing room when facing powerful attacks. Requiem will take care of everything in the Pyramid and the Great Sea Trench. A Bard singing Speed Song while three other members do their thing will soon overtake four members in the number of turns they get.
* Bards are one of the fastest classes available, so give your Bard whichever ability you want to start battles off with.
* Gold Hairpins and Elf Capes are your friends.

What are some things that other people have discovered in their runs?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

Black Mage/Time Mage/Ranger/Dragoon: Team No Healing. Really only had trouble towards the end against Neo Exdeath and even then I managed come up with a strategy that let me take him down easily. (And then was later informed that I could have made things much easier on myself than I did. Oops.)

But... Time Mages can cast Regen, and Dragoons can use Lancer. They're not ideal methods of healing, but they're still methods of healing. :confused:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

7 was the first game in the series I'd played, and remains my personal favorite.

As far as nostalgia is concerned, when it comes to ranking games in the series... 4 was the second one I played, and while I liked it a lot as a kid, today it doesn't seem all that special. It's still a good game, granted, but actually going back and replaying it isn't very fun. Maybe I'd just played it to death, already? Who knows?

6 is one that I didn't like that much when I first played it, but took to it a couple years later. It's now my second favorite in the series. I absolutely hated 8 when it came out, but am much more accepting of it, now, and would probably have liked 9 more if I hadn't burned out on Chocobo Hot & Cold.

I actually liked 2 when I first played it, mostly because of the novelty of an NES game being dark. This was apparently enough for me to overlook how broken the gameplay was, which is a mistake I haven't made since. :suicide:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

It's good if you approach it on its own terms and learn to work around some of the more annoying laws. Don't compare it to the original FFT or you'll find it wanting and have difficulty noticing its unique strengths.

I don't know how FFTA2 compares, as I didn't play it.

Would you personally consider opening with a snowball fight a flaw, or a strength?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Barudak posted:

Take Zell out of your party.

Enc-None is the greatest ability in any FF game ever and its why FFVIII is the best. You can turn off all of the garbage in the game and focus on the series best feature; its coherent, well thought out, and emotionally touching card game.

The Moogle Charm from 6 was good to have for this very reason, although it would have been nice if people other than Mog could equip it.

edit: beaten

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

So what happens if someone gets four Berserkers, say through a combination of hard mode and Berserker risk? Has anyone ever actually beaten Neo-Exdeath on a four-Berserker run?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Lilli posted:

Well everyone knows FF VI is the best one. :smug:

edit: :smug:

Clearly the answer is to go back and play every Final Fantasy game ever released, in order, including the spin-offs, and write about it.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

jivjov posted:

How bad of an idea would it be to go into the Fiesta completely blind? I have never played FFV, but having a ridiculous gimmick would give me a good reason to get around to it.

It's your choice, but I wouldn't recommend it. The whole thing about playing a Four Job Fiesta is finding ways to squeeze past boss battles using tactics that don't get used that much in a normal playthrough.

Then again, you could always give the Four Job Fiesta a try, and let us know how it works for a first-timer?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Winks posted:

What is considered the best version(s) of FFV anyway?

The GBA version is considered the best by most people, due to its translation, but the sound isn't as good as in the SNES/Super Famicom version. Really, it's just a matter of personal preference.

Just so long as you don't get the PSX version...

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Do all classes have the ability to run in the GBA version of FF5? I'm noticing that RK's team has a faster walking speed than normal, and he doesn't have any Thieves.

And he just entered the Cleft of Dimension.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Fungah! posted:

Yep. Thief still gives you a massive speed boost, but you can run as any class.

And dang, he's zipping through this.

Oh, ok. So that's another point in favor of the GBA version, at least for challenge runs where you're not going to be using a Thief that much, or can't afford to use up an ability slot on Dash.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Man, that secret to be seen soon is making me all impatient. I wanna know what it is, already!

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Bellmaker posted:

So where's a good spot to grind round Karnak? I need some Mantra because holy poo poo I hate Liquid Flame

If it's just ABP you need, consider going back to the Wind Shrine to fight Mold Winds. They randomly drop Elixirs.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Proto_Fan posted:

I like FF3. Even if it is objectively bad. :shobon:

FF3 isn't objectively bad, in the same way FF2 or Mystic Quest are. You just need to approach it with a certain mindset, is all.

The mindset being that you're looking for an 8-bit JRPG from a famous franchise, and seeing things like the unbalanced class roster and being defenseless when running away as all part of the challenge. And having your airship shot down thirty seconds after you get it, because you flew over a certain part of the map.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

My final lineup is Blue Mage/Thief/Beastmaster/Beastmaster. I just got the last job, and am not quite sure what to make of it; perhaps this will be a chance for me to actually use Catch and Release, instead of always using Control in conjunction with a Blue Mage.

Even though I'm totally doing that, too. :dance:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Death Claw is the perfect tool for catching monsters. It's :krad:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

That's why you save the back partfor last and use Magic Lamp Odin to kill it instantly.

Or else use Magic Lamp Odin to kill it first, because otherwise it'll White Hole your party to death.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Also you know what? I really wish I had a Geomancer in my party, because damage floors are loving brutal. Like ten steps and you're down to 1 HP, and you can still get random encounters on them. I went through 99 hi-potions in the 3rd tablet dungeon.

If you have a way of getting Float on your party, that would also render damage floors safe.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Tricky posted:

Blood Suck/Vampire from the bats in the Pirate Cave is amazing. At least in the GBA version, it deals MaxHP-CurrentHP and heals you for the same amount. That, Aqua Rake/Lung, and Doomclaw are most of the offense that I used to get through world 1. LVL5 Doom is great for a few battles, make sure you grab it from Page 64 in the Library. Essentially, you have the tools to utterly trivialize most boss battles. Byblos? Doomclaw and hit it after you nab Magic Hammer. Sol Cannon? LVL5 Death the launchers and keep healthy with Vampire. Break Rods if you feel like it.

Actually, the formula for Vampire/Blood Suck is as follows:

The Algorithm FAQ on GameFAQs posted:

VAMPIRE
If Hit is successful then Damage drained = (MAX HP - HP)/2
On Undead, target is healed and caster is damaged.

It's still an excellent method of healing in the first two worlds, though, and can even do some significant damage to enemies.

To beat Sol Cannon, if you have a character or two at level 18, or just before it, use Dark Shock to cut the Cannon's level in half (to 18), and then Goblin Punch it to death.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

And this is why Thief gets my vote as probably the most useless class. My berserker can at least put out big numbers, and I've had the Doom Axe insta-kill a surprising amount of bosses. A Thief's one gimmick of use is stealing, any anybody who can use a dagger can do that.

You don't get the Thief Knife until world 3, and it doesn't even attempt to Capture 100% of the time. Thus, the Thief still has its uses. :colbert:

Epi Lepi posted:

How long does this Job Fiesta thing last? I wanna know when I should bother to follow the thread again cause I couldn't care less about this thing.

It's until August, so if you're only interested in 13-2 chat or whatever, you'll have to wait until then.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Ayana posted:

Ugh, Sol Cannon is kicking my poo poo in, especially once Old connects. Even with three people casting Cura I just can't keep up with the damage between Missle and the cannon itself, and with Old my Curas just keep getting weaker. Time to grind again, I guess. :sigh:

Do you have Heal/Esuna? It will stop your characters from going further down in level, so if you cast it immediately after, the effects of the Launchers' attacks should be minimal.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Moldy Taxes posted:

I'm progressing pretty slowly. I just got to Sandworm, and it's hitting me like a brick wall.

Any hot tips for a White Mage/Berserker/Bard party?

Kill your Berserker before battle, and have two Bards wearing Elf Capes in the front do the fighting. It's going to be a long slog, but you should be able to pick away at its HP over time, and keep yourself healed, until it finally croaks. Don't forget Vitality Song, either.

Lilli posted:

Do you have mighty guard? It should keep your party up through almagest, and then you can use your blue mage to basically just spam white wind. The bottom part of ex death is the one that casts it, so kill him first and save your magic lamp zetsuken to kill the back part (or doom, I think blue mage doom works on it.)

The top-left part casts Dispel, though... maybe try Mighty Guard while Neo Exdeath is shaking, which is how it telegraphs Almagest?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Moldy Taxes posted:

I wasn't able to loot the Elven Cape from Karnak, but I should be able to double back to Walsh and grab that other one.

With the way my party was set up at the time, I was only able to grab the Main Gauche and the Ribbon. Main Gauche actually helps my Bard stay in the front line, but I'm regretting the ribbion simply because I'm not even guaranteed a Dancer.

No going back, though. I just wish there was an ugrade to to Flail so my WHMs could do a bit more damage.

Ouch. This complicates things a bit; while you're still in good shape for the rest of the game, having one fewer Elf Cape means you'll have to be a couple levels higher than you would be otherwise. So, I guess, the Bard that doesn't have the Guardian Dagger/Main Gauche gets the Elf Cape?

Also, never fear, there is in fact an upgrade for the Flail. In Mua Forest, much later in the game. :suicide:

Schwartzcough posted:

Apparently the bottom part is the only one that casts Almagust (until there's only one part left, which can then cast anything), and the bottom part is vulnerable to petrification. The Back part casts Grand Cross, and is vulnerable to instant death. The Magic Lamp can do both (Shoat and Odin, respectively). Then you'll just have to wear the final two parts down roughly equally so you can finish them off together.

Shoat is a single-target attack, unfortunately, and is randomly chosen from the available targets. Thus, it only has a 1/3 chance of connecting. It's definitely worth a try, though.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Is there ever any point to taking the Brave Blade? It seems to get nerfed even if you only run away casually.

It can be used with Double Grip, and does not make you run away a quarter of the time.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Himuro posted:

Nooooo :gonk:

@therootsweshare can now use the Fire Job 'Bard'. La la la la la! Play the pianos!

Hey, Bards are good to have in FF5. It's like the only game in the series where they're actually useful.

Speaking of things whose usefulness varies by game, blue magic always carrys the day in my current run. It can do anything, sometimes better than the other types of magic. I find it strange, though, since 5 and 7 are the only games where it's useful; in 6, Lores were severely underpowered. Never finished 8, 9, or 10, but I remember them being not particularly good in those three games, either. Weird.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Trasson posted:

Nailed the bastard!

I had to try out a few different configurations in order to finally find one that worked. Really, though, it came down to luck: luck on who got aimed at, on both sides, and luck that Grand Cross didn't end my run.

In the end, here are the changes I made from my earlier picture:
Lenna got the Crystal Armor because I'm dumb and didn't buy a fourth Dark Suit. I handed the Dark Suit to Faris so she'd have that little bit more Agility. Lenna also switched from the Rune Axe setup to the Excalibur with shield. I didn't lose a whole lot of damage, and being able to dodge nearly half the Vaccuum Waves headed her way saved me trouble. Finally, Cara was dropped into the back row: her main goal was to trigger Earth Shaker as much as possible, so she didn't need to be in front. Letting her be in back let her eat a physical every now and then, and it extended the Magic Lamp's Earth Wall.

I'll have the full World 3 writeup at some point soon, as well as my full thoughts on the run.

Impressive. :golfclap:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

MrAristocrates posted:

How in the world am I supposed to beat Liquid Flame with Thief/Berserker?

Steal a lot of HiPotions from Poltergeists, and level like crazy?

In other news, I beat Neo-Exdeath last night:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

I would actually think a Yellow Dragon would be more useful, as it uses Lightning to do 25% of all targets' max HP - for Neo-Ex, that's a guaranteed 9999 out the gate.

Giant Birds' Breath Wing is identical, and you can actually find Giant Birds in world 3. :ssh:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Miracon posted:

Someone in a recent thread made a mock-up Gladiator sprite for Galuf, and meanwhile the creator of that hack wants to be able to add sprites for Galuf. If the two of them got together, they might be able to figure it out.

And here's the post in question, for what it's worth.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

So it's sort of interesting using the Job Fair values to give a numerical ranking to teams. My previous team of Blue Mage/Red Mage/Geomancer/Dancer ranks in at $11, while my current team of Knight/Mystic Knight/Berserker/Thief gets a rather middling $9...

According to that, my team of Blue Mage/Thief/Beastmaster/Beastmaster was worth $7, even though I had less trouble with it than a previous White Mage/Summoner/Bard/Chemist fiesta it estimates is worth $15. :confused:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Wait, how do you time that so it hits? :aaa:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Zombies' Downfall posted:

There's two items you wanna be sure to pick up, Kornago's Pot (accessory, from a quest in Kelb) and the Hypno Crown (helm, chest in Drakenvale). The former makes capturing monsters easier by raising the HP threshold on it, while the latter increases the success rate of !Control.

Goblins use Flare when released for whatever reason, so if it's at all possible they're an easy great thing to capture in the first world. !Control is really good against some normal enemy packs, always try it out when you enter a new area. The Beastmaster also has a surprisingly respectable Strength and whips do full damage from the back row, so don't be afraid to try normal attacks and it might not be a bad idea to grab the Flame Whip when you start unsealing weapons as it randomly casts Firaga and can do quite a bit of damage.

Sulla's writeup of a solo Beastmaster run lists off quite a few good monsters to Catch.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Vil posted:

Registered for a second run through hard mode, up to Bal Castle in world 2. Gilgabot is suspiciously kind to me: Blue Mage/Knight/Ranger/Chemist. Two overpowered teams in a row is nice, though I was kinda hoping for a bit more challenge this time.

Since I'll actually be able to use both, any thoughts on Brave Blade vs. Chicken Knife with this team?

Have you run away at all? If so, go with the Chicken Knife. Otherwise, tough out the random battles and get the Brave Blade.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

And still yet you didn't get the whole ending! I recall from somewhere that you're supposed to get like character-specific scenes for everyone who's still alive afterwards.

This is true. Going back and refighting the boss in order to see what happens when certain characters are alive or dead (or petrified, zombified, etc) is kind of silly, though...

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

They all look absolutely loving terrifying.

Here's the ones they released ages before announcing the new game:

Where are their eyes, where are their eyes? :gonk:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Personally, I have nothing against the art style they've used for the dolls, but they do need to have eyes.

jivjov posted:

The ones in Theatrhythm do have eyes. I think it's just those work in progress "samples" that don't.

I know.

Hedera Helix fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 5, 2012

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Harley solo. Admit it, you know you're going to do it eventually. :colbert:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Wow, Final Fantasy IV Interlude may have been the biggest waste of 3 hours I've seen. Nothing happened except, like, maybe two important things? The rest was all needless filler where they just shoveled in reused assets from IV. Even the final boss is cheaply done, if not slightly interesting.

This is incorrect! The two things you are thinking of are not actually important. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

glod posted:

Time Mages can equip rods and break them ("use" them out of the person's hands when in battle, you can get to their equipped weapon/shield by pressing up at the top of the item list) so do that for elemental spells. You can buy lots of rods in Karnak which is right before the fire crystal dungeon. Also poke around in here, it has lots of good tips from the people here, including in-depth stuff relating to each job.

Be warned that that document has spoilers in them, in case you are worried about that sort of thing.