Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Kyrosiris posted:

To wit.

(Alternatively, there's this one.)

Sometimes you can just tell when someone has fun doing what they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Swillkitsch posted:

Playing FFIX for the first time in years and actually using a guide because the idea of missing things in this game hurts me physically.

Personally the rope jumping in the beginning quickly kicked my perfectionism between the legs.

IX is one of my favorites, annoying stealing mechanics and poor card game aside. I never even noticed the slowness that's the complaint of most people so I suppose that helps. But then I also finished FFV on the PS1 thrice. :shobon:

Also the soundtrack is amazing, the main theme is the best one in the series and You're Not Alone is easily in my top 5 FF music tracks.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Proto Cloud posted:

I dunno how anyone can recommend XGs with a straight face with how just how poo poo game gets after disc 2. Then there's the lousy platforming and a battle system that is both super easy and terrible.

It's one of those games that have great writing and atmosphere but the gameplay drags. It's best experienced in a Let's Play form in my opinion because ultimately it's still a game worth seeing.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Levantine posted:

...and the soundtrack is probably the best Final Fantasy soundtrack to date (well, maybe XII but different strokes).

Different opinions about XIII and XIII-2 are all well and good but we need to draw a line somewhere. :colbert:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Come on, citing summons is cheating. They're always awesome. Even *Chocob :colbert:

Seeing the mythical Fat Chocobo fall from the sky for the first time when using Choco/Mog in Final Fantasy VII was really confusing but also pretty amazing.

I think I only ever saw the thing once, maybe twice.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Boogalo posted:

Thanks to encouragement in this thread I picked up a PSP. I loaded up all of the FF games plus a few miscellaneous, and got started with BoF4 since it came reccomended and I had never played it. BoF4 is fun so far, but it's hard to tear myself away from the PSP FFT remake and its hilarious ye olde english dialog.

BoF IV, despite some flaws, is probably one of the darkest JRPGs around with some really despicable villains. The story pays off so it's worth sticking with it.

I hear War of the Lions is dragged down by slowdown and other such issues which is a bit of a shame.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

pretend to care posted:

Thanks. :)

I couldn't find it in like the first 10 pages so I done gave up.

The Platinum search function is pretty handy for stuff like that, saves you a lot of trouble.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

effectual posted:

I had to use random for the bastard pub owner to use Doomtrain. :negative:

While at first I hated it, over time I grew to enjoy the Random rule. Made the game more interesting than just stomping with your supercards.

But then I was a sucker for Triple Triad in general.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Jibo posted:

I actually enjoyed the FF9 card game. Didn't it have in game descriptions for the stats at the bottom of the card?

It had numbers and letters but the rules were literally a secret, even in-game. You did get hints and advice, but this combined with the fact that the system was very obtuse made it rather annoying to play properly. A card could say this

quote:

1M42

But that's it. You could figure the stuff out somewhat by playing long enough, but just from looking at that it's really hard to tell what's what. It doesn't help that you might see numbers replaced by letters because we're talking hexadecimals (From 0 to F). On top of that each number equals a slightly random amount of hitpoints; the number 8 might mean 130 hitpoints but it might also mean 140.

:eng101: Because I'm bored and I know it's not clear to most people even today, here's how the game works, and most of this you need to figure out on your own. The values and what they mean:

1 = Attack Power
M = Class, in this case Magical
4 = Physical Defense power
2 = Magic Defense power

The first number (1) governs the amount of hit points the card has when attacking. The internet (but not the game) tells me 1 equals 16-31 hit points.
The letter (M) governs which defense the card attacks against, physical or magical. There are 4 different letters, P, M, X and A:

P (Physical) goes against the opposing card's Physical Defense power
M (Magical) goes against the opposing card's Magic Defense power
X (Flexible) goes against whichever Defense value is lower on the opposing card
A (Assault) goes against whichever value is lowest on the opposing card, including Attack Power. Needless to say these are incredibly powerful cards.

The second number (4) governs the amount of hit points the card has when defending against cards that attack against Physical Defense power, in this case equaling 64-79 hit points
The third number (2) is the same except with cards that attack against Magic Defense power, equaling 32-47 hit points

Now the actual card battle goes basically like this:

You play 1M42 against, say, 2P70. Our 1 and M tell us that we attack with 1 power against the opponent's Magic defense, in this case 0. This means our hit point value is 16-31 while the opponent's is 0-15. Obviously if it was merely hit points versus hit points, a higher value would win 100% of the time, so of course the answer here is more random numbers.

At this point the game assigns a random value anywhere between 0 and the hit point value of the attacking card (remember, this is anything between 16 and 31). This is then subtracted from your hit points to find the actual hit point value of the card you're attacking with. Let's say we attack and the game assigns us 20 hit points. The game rolls a random number between 0 and 20, let's say 15. This means that despite starting with 16-31 hit points, we actually only attack with 5 since 20-15=5.

The game then repeats this with the defending card and its defense value (0-15). Let's say the game assigns them 10 hit points and the random number from 0-10 turns out to be a 4. This means the defending card has 10-4=6 hit points.

Finally, these two values are compared and whichever is higher wins. Since 6 is higher than 5, the defending card wins despite our card having more attack than they had defense.

Feel free to correct me if I got anything wrong, but hopefully this explains why the gently caress you lost when you attacked that 0P00 card with your 87X5 and still lost; bad luck. I'm pretty sure the game doesn't even display the "true" hit points, so the only thing you'd see is your 140 HP decreasing with the speed of light while their 7 ticked down e-x-t-r-e-m-e-l-y s-l-o-w-l-y.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Muntu posted:

Has anyone here played both FF XII and FF XII IZJS? Thinking of trying out the Int. version but I've played and completed the normal version a couple of times already, so I'm not sure if the Int. version is worth the time and money. Are the changes big enough?

e: Nevermind, I'll probably get it anyway so I'm not sure why I even asked

If you like XII enough to play it several times over, IZJS is certainly worth giving a shot. The character class system will make you try out some new strategies, quality of live improvements like controllable guest characters/espers and the speed-up button make a new playthrough quite a bit more enjoyable and the small extras like the new equipment and enemies give something new to look forward to.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Coughing Hobo posted:

I recall WA1 being okay, but it's been over a decade since I played it. WA2, on the other hand, actively made me lose my grasp on the english language the deeper I got into it.

Yeah, I played WA2 about half a year ago and the translation was one of the more hilarious ones I've seen. WA1 is nowhere near as bad in that department.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Polsy posted:

I don't think I'll ever forget checking up on something for the LP and discovering they'd translated the deeply complex 'haa, haa, haa' as 'wah. wah. wah.' making the heavily-breathing character seem like she was crying for no reason at all.

Same game also features this brilliant threat:

But I can tolerate it because it also features wonderful characters such as the Batshit Insane Nurse Duo:

Anyway, probably not gonna derail this thread further since it's not a JRPG megathread but yeah, WA2 is certainly an experience.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Apoplexy posted:

Jesus, those Wild ARMs 2 translation screens make me yearn for Suikoden 1's bland-rear end one. Which, speaking of Konami early PSX RPGs, it and Vandal-Hearts were what made my PSX worth keeping before FF7 came out. Good games, both. Vandal-Hearts imprinting so strongly upon me is what made me try FFTactics (via a rented PSX, after I sold the first PSX I owned from shortly after launch to a few months after FF7 came out) and end up having my favorite PSX game of all time. It and Xenogears need to get more love.

Xenogears would get significantly more love if not for the wrecked second disc (Final Fantasy VIII :argh:) and rather poor pacing. And the painfully small textboxes for to the amount of dialogue in that game.

Also I'm one of the few people who enjoyed Vandal Hearts II, but the first game was good too. This also reminds me that back in like fifth or sixth grade a classmate of mine traded his copy of Final Fantasy Tactics for my PS1 version of Worms. Best trade I ever made, I still got that FFT disc.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

MrAristocrates posted:

Wait, when that infographic lists Monk, Berserker, Beastmaster, and Dancer as "infamous," does that mean it's a good party or a bad one? I didn't get the chance to use most of them last year.

I don't know much about this fiesta business but I do know that those four are some of the weakest classes in the game.

E: typo

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 9, 2013

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Also worth mentioning is that the International Zodiac version features two New Game+ modes, Strong Mode where all characters start at level 90 and Weak Mode where all characters are permanently at level 1.

That said unlocking them requires beating the 100-level Trial Mode, and considering the last three fights are Yiazmat, Omega Mark XII and finally Judges Gabranth, Drace, Bergan, Zargabaath and Ghis simultaneously, you've probably done practically everything by then.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Early 3D was the ugliest era in video gaming in general. But there's certainly tons of love and details in the prerendered backgrounds.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Old History Dude was fully voiced. "And that, as they say, is that..."

Loved that old dude.

In X-2 Maechen has the longest goddamn story, some 6 minutes of nonstop talking. :shepface:

You can interrupt him at any time but since we're talking FF X-2, you lose completion % for doing so.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Pope on fire posted:

This was my problem mainly. By the time i'd realised what I'd done to my grid, i had no way to ever make it good. Had to restart :(

As far as I remember it was very difficult to mess things up permanently, the first time around I played with the Expert Grid without really knowing what I was doing and, while the game wasn't easy especially since I was pretty young and dumb, I got through fine.

Serious end-game min-maxing basically required removing and replacing the nodes with better ones anyway.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Nickname Pending posted:

I remember when my sister used to play FFX. She completed the Monster Arena, got every legendary weapon, maxed the sphere grid for each character, and had a total of about 150 hours of game time. She had Yuna and Lulu physically hitting for 99999 damage.

As for Omega in FF8, I used pretty much the same strategy for every boss: spam Lionheart. Battle's over in a matter of minutes.

Having Yuna and Lulu hit for 99999 damage is probably easier than getting Auron to do the same because of Masamune's dumb "less hp = more damage" gimmick which meant that he actually dealt reduced damage when at full hp.

Although I rarely can be bothered to max everything in games, I did the same thing. Sure, one could just use Yojimbo to defeat the Dark Aeons and Penance but Zanmato is for wussies. :colbert:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Nickname Pending posted:

I'd recommend trying VIII out next. It's Junction System makes combat interesting and it has one of the most strangely addicting mini-games in the series.

Opinions on VIII vary a great deal though, it's a pretty experimental game and a lot of the decisions they made aren't exactly praised. Worth seeing for yourself though.

Mazed posted:

After you finish Final Fantasy X, you should naturally play Final Fantasy X-2. :v:

alcharagia posted:

You should, it's a very good game.

Don't forget that the HD collection of both X and X-2 is coming for the PS3. And for the Vita too, although separately.

X-2 has a great combat system, very similar to V. how enjoyable the rest is depends entirely on your tolerance for fanservice, GIRL POWER, and whether or not you're a completionist. Especially that last one.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Having read the thread of the amazing FFVII LP it's both pretty funny and sad how misunderstood that game is, it's a really bizarre case of its own fans completely misremembering everything. For example Aeris' and Tifa's personalities were basically the exact opposite of what they're generally considered to be (and the EU's portrayal of the characters didn't help either). There was this pretty great pair of posts after the latest update (the Lifestream sequence):

Aces High posted:

With all that aside I will take a 180 and talk about why I also hate this game. As people have said above there are many :airquote:fans:airquote: of this game but there are VERY few people who have played the game. I know people that go on and on and ON about how awesome Cloud is and how they love how tormented and emo he is and I always sit back going "why do you like someone who hates their life?" only now to learn that these people don't love Cloud, they love this fabrication that THEY created. To be completely honest I hate this game because of the fanbase and what that wrought on the game world, if some people payed attention to one of the Kingdom Hearts LPs from a few years back they may remember me raging on about how much I despised that game and, while my hate has tempered in recent years, now that I am getting a full experience for FFVII, the trend-setter for most jrpgs and anything Square-Enix related, I am getting a better idea for why I have so much hate. The creators saw what people seemed to remember about this game, they thought Cloud was just some hopeless schmuck who has nothing to live for anymore and that is all I see him written as now.

This is a fantastic game but everything that is being written about it by the people who also supposedly love it is just so wrong that I can't help but end up despising the game because of its fanbase. Maybe I'm just a crazy hipster but it is how I feel and I don't want these feelings of hate to over shadow how happy I am for this LP to have occurred.

CzarChasm posted:

:siren: You've just revealed something so ironic it has to be profound.

These fans of this game have false memories of a game the didn't play, featuring characters that never existed, and these fantasies are corroborated by other like minded fans that have twisted the truth.

They are doing this over Final Fantasy VII.

A game that features as a major point of the story, a person who has false memories about a visit that didn't happen, to a town that no longer exists, and this fantasy is corroborated by a close friend who has twisted the truth of what actually happened. This major plot point is very often glossed over by these fans.

:psyduck:

Fiction has approximately gently caress all on reality.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jun 10, 2013

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Thievery posted:

The dumbest looking thing about this trailer is the hairstyles. Everything else looked great but they just can't shake those ridiculous 3D anime hairs.

Apart for your cool dad and the bald guy that is.

Well they need to hold on to some traditions. It wouldn't be Final Fantasy without wacky hair.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

In case someone has missed it, Nomura's being interviewed in the Square stream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPogSTwUREM

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Kanfy posted:

In case someone has missed it, Nomura's being interviewed in the Square stream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPogSTwUREM

For this thread too, the new Final Fantasy XV gameplay trailer starts at 3:00:25. You can definitely tell the guy behind Kingdom Hearts is behind that game, hopefully they can pull it off well.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Francois Kofko posted:

that man's sword is very large

See, it clearly is a Final Fantasy game.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Man, it's been that was since FF7. I think Zidane is the only one to escape it.

Well, at least they acknowledged that. Sort of.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

fivegears4reverse posted:

After watching the trailer with a friend, he called it Uncharted Hearts. I've decided that this will be one of the key insults-of-choice when the game inevitably comes out.

I think most people would play the crap out of Uncharted Hearts. Even the name works pretty well!

The "inevitably" part is more questionable though. :v:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

But my favorites are Final Fantasy 1, 5 and Tactics Advance.

Tactics Advance is probably my least favorite one. The sidequests are really boring, the law system is dumb, the protagonist is unlikeable and the game completely lacks any kind of challenge, even moreso than your average FF. I think the only time I came even close to dying was somewhere close to the beginning. At least the DS sequel had some effort put in the quests and included a harder difficulty mode.

FF is certainly a series that offers something for everyone, people who don't like even a single game are quite rare.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Mazed posted:

Because western video game writers have no idea how to tell a story without pointless sex and violence.

I assume you're just kidding.

Either way there are a lot of good Western games and there a lot of good Japanese games, stereotypes are silly. Saying Western games are all "MANLINESS & VIOLENCE" is like saying all Japanese games are "KAWAII & FANSERVICE", neither is true.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Raziel 0128 posted:

No, I liked Ashe far more too.

Now if we can just get FFX/X-2 HD out of the way so we can get to FFXII HD I'll be happy.
I love FFX but some of those character designs you really don't want to see clearly XII is much much better in that respect.

FF XII HD would also be great because it'd probably be the International Zodiac Job System version. It's tough to go back to the normal version once you're used to IZJS.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Barudak posted:

I refuse to look at her midsection or include her in my party due to her design

It's a rather silly design obviously but uh, that seems a tad extreme. What, do you avert your eyes from her "midsection" every time there's a cutscene or something?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Krad posted:

Look, I don't see what the problem is here. Compared to Ashley's assless chaps, Ashe's design is a huge improvement.

Don't dis the legendary chaps:

Guess that's why they were named "Ashley" and "Ashe" :rimshot:

E:

1st AD posted:

A man designed this right? A goony man? Because this is so horrendously tacky that I can't imagine a woman even saw or had input on this.

Akihiko Yoshida was the character designer for both Final Fantasy XII and Vagrant Story, incidentally.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 24, 2013

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Vadun posted:

Haven't sold a single item all game. Doing some more poking around with missing item lists it does seem like you can skip the trigger for him to give you the lamp, you need to wander back into Garden after the initial conversation, he only gives it to you if you try to leave right away.

Missed out on !Mug and encounter-none. Blah

IIRC to get the lamp you just need to talk to Cid after you get the mission, that's all. If you don't talk to him it's gone.

Well, that's how I always got it, anyway.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

WaiT it's possible to miss it? :psyduck:

If you're one of those people who don't talk to every NPC they see at every opportunity.

Freaks.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

I've never played much of FF7 beyond the first disc, so I'm experiencing it and its plot for the first time through the Steam version, under a very special condition.

Things might get a little clusterfucky.

I hate to tell you this but you're probably the twelfth million person to do that. :v:

Also a terrible idea for a first playthrough, people misunderstand the game and plot horribly as it is.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Stairs climb had funny dialogue and the ladder climb had good music.

They were both great. :colbert:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

precision posted:

At the end of the day, despite the numerous problems the games have, for me FF13 and 13-2 are just fun. They are! Maybe they're the Summer Blockbuster Movies of the FF franchise where in this convoluted analogy FF6 would be Memento, FF7 would be Donnie Darko and FF12 would be Game of Thrones, but I don't care. Corridors? gently caress it man, there are pretty lights, I genuinely like all the characters (YES EVEN VANILLE gently caress YOU), the combat is amazing and while the higher parts of my brain are having a wank session about how I really ought to get around to playing Deadly Premonition for the third time my dumb lizard brain is going :neckbeard:

Signed, Billy, aged 7

e: this post is 100% sincere, really

So perhaps every game is the best game in the series after all!

Personally I like V, VI, VII, IX and X the most but I don't think there's any (non-MMO) game in the main series that I'd outright dislike playing. They all have enough going for them that I can ignore the weaknesses and focus on the strengths. V and X-2 may not have the strongest stories but I'm a sucker for their customization and class systems, while VII for example is too easy but at the same time I love the materia system, atmosphere and story.

At least there's something for everyone.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Rangpur posted:

All this talk about the worst game in the series caused me to reconsider a vital mystery: why did I hate FFIX? Of all the entries I've finished, that's the only one I couldn't be bothered to replay. Reading White Dragon's LP made it look great. Was I just exceptionally bitter back then or something? Quite possibly! But the gameplay reason is the thousand little ways the game likes to rub it in that you are playing it badly. Bosses with rare steals, the baffling mess that is Tetrad Whateverthefuck, the hippo racing, the jump rope, the frog catching, the mock fighting during the play, the attack on Treefort Ratman, the goddamned Pluto Knights and their goddamned preferred roles...

Over and over, and loving over again, FFIX dangles content in front of you then whisks it away behind oblique secrets and mechanics designed to sell their worthless strategy guide or ridiculous RNG bullshit. The optional stuff I could mostly overlook (Chocobo Hot and Cold mades up for a lot of frustration), but when the game forces you to put go through stuff like that and then evaluates you on it? That was infuriating.

This is a rather bizarre complaint but it sounds to me like you just don't like mini-games and are taking things a bit too seriously. Half the things you list aren't forced at all, there is no RNG that I remember outside of stealing, and you don't even miss out on any real content by not doing those things, mostly just items.

And I don't have the slightest clue what you mean by "rubbing it in" or "evaluating", are you actually mad that the game has rewards and scorekeeping in its mini-games? :psyduck:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I highly doubt character faces are going to affect that game's sales at all. I think the fact that they're also giving X-2, a game most people probably wouldn't even consider buying by itself because of its iffy reputation even if they're curious about it, is going to ensure it's going to be pretty profitable.

And aren't there people in the US or wherever who never got to play with the Expert Sphere Grid and the superbosses in X? A bunch of people will want that too I'd wager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Captain Vittles posted:

Toriyama wrote the Honeybee Inn scenes in FFVII. That should tell us everything we need to know about him.

You talk like Honey Bee Inn wasn't great which is rather silly.