Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

What are the things people dislike about FF3DS? I've been doing a playthrough of all the FFs (on 5 at the moment, I'd previously only played 6 onward) and I found the PSP version really adorable and enjoyable. Of course that might just have been in comparison to 2 which really deserves its poor rep.

Mega64 posted:

That's the only good way to play 2. Skip the bullshit parts and just break it in half. The remakes even reward you for getting the most powerful spell to L16 by buffing a minigame to give even more broken loot!

By what metric is levelling a spell to 16 "skipping the bullshit parts"? I think I finished my run of 2 with my highest level spell being like 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Mega64 posted:

You're right that you really shouldn't need to go to 16, but magic is pretty good and even in my NES run where it's much harder to gain levels I managed to get a few spells to 8-9 and one to 10. After a certain point (around half-way through the game once MP issues aren't as much a thing and the enemies start hitting like bricks) the best strategy is to have one frontliner to evade-tank physical attacks while your mages wreck poo poo. Even if you split to Black Mage/White Mage, White Mage gets Holy in Mysidia which is very powerful. You only really need to grind MP for the first dungeon, and at that point you have Minwu as a solid back-up. After that your MP should be enough to handle the long, tedious dungeons if you mix in physical attacks, and later on you get spells like Change and Osmose to help with magic issues.

Of course the problem is none of this poo poo is intuitive or obvious, so instead of explaining the subtleties of the game's mechanics in the remakes, the developers just made everything vastly easier, which honestly is still an improvement since it makes it even easier to break the game sideways. Just wish they fixed the terrible dungeons though.

I was playing the PSX version which is apparently pretty close to NES mechanics, and my black mage basically just threw berserkga/hastega and smacked my guys with the healing staff. The magic levelling system wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't so incredibly slow to level stuff. I remember getting to later stages in the game and realising I'd need to cast esuna several hundred times in order to be able to cure petrify, so obviously I just said gently caress it and bought a bunch of gold needles instead.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

I played the FF Origins version on the PS1 which was also fine.

You can completely break FF2 if you do a ton of tedious grinding, but if you don't try to abuse the mechanics too badly then its actually fairly hard. Which option you go for is up to you.

It is definitely the worst FF game, but it still has its charms.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

You could also emulate the Playstation versions of I and II, released as Final Fantasy Origins.

I prefer Origin's updated sprites, which are very similar to SNES-era FF graphics, rather than the higher res PSP/mobile versions.