Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh yeah, something some people don't pick up on immediately in FFX: try to have every character do something in every battle, even if it's just tossing a potion or defending for a turn. AP doesn't get split at all, so if a character sits out a fight it just means that they miss out on the AP.

Also if you really want to sperg out, put your three fastest characters (usually Rikku, Tidus, and Yuna) in the active slots after each battle. That way you can you can tag them out for Lulu or Auron to get rid of enemies before they have a chance to act.

That is what I have been doing since starting. I just finished Home where it was a little harder since You don't have Yuna to heal after every battle and the Guado kept confusing one of my charaters making it hard to switch everyone in

My starting team is usually Yuna, Rikku and Lulu. Rikku steals and the other two defend of Lulu cast a spell on an elemental based enemy since most feinds will be taken out with one shot by the guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
gently caress the Chocobo race. I get it is suppose to be difficult but I can think of things that would make it slightly easier while still maintaining it's difficultly.

1)Don't have a penalty time for the birds. You are already losing time when stunned so you actually lose almost double the time for every bird you hot.

2)Change some of the hit boxes. I have been stunned by being grazed by a bird's wing I have also be hit by a half invisible bird. When the bird starts to disappear, the hit box should cease to exist. Also bird can stick to you while your stunned which is very irritating.

3)Don't make the time a statistical improbability. Make it something between 5-10 secs. it still took me over an hour just to get to 8 secs.

4)Don't make the birds home in on the racers. I see birds change there angle just slightly when I'm about the pass and hit me.

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 25, 2014

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

keiran_helcyan posted:

If you don't start with 2-3 balloons right in your path, let the match run itself because you're not getting a perfect score. After the first turn, try to stick to the right, you'll have more time to react on the right than the left. Also coming from the right will give you wide turn onto the final section, letting you grab more balloons. On the final stretch I find the left side a little more friendly.

Also steer with the d pad, it'll turn a lot faster than the joystick.

I'm trying this and I am barely collecting any balloons after the decent. My points still stand. If the trainer and I are getting hit by the same bird flying between us then the hit boxes are too big.

EDIT FINA-loving-LY GOT IT.

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 25, 2014

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I hate myself today. I:

1) Got a 0:0.0 time in the chocobo race

2) Collected 1 of every monster between Besaid and Mt. Gagazet

3) Did both Butterfly games

4) Did the Cactuar mini-game and got all the named spheres

5) Got both Yojimbo and Anima

I have so far only dodged up to 98 Lightning bolts and am right now working through blitzball to get all the stuff from that.

:shepicide:

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
SO I have fully powered up everyone but Wakka's Ultimate Weapon. gently caress Blitzball. Anyone got tips for that? I am using the hide behind the goal trick when I am head but the problem is in getting ahead.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I managed to get Attack Reels in the first Tournament. I have the Weapon, I just need to get the other two reels and the sigil. Right Now I have

LF: Tidus Lv 8 14 END 4 ATK 5 PAS 3 BLK 15 SHT 2 CAT with Jecht and Sphere shot

RF: Wedge Lv 4 12 END 10 ATK 3 PAS 8 BLK 17 SHT 2 CAT with Wither Shot

MF: Brother Lv 3 10 END 6 ATK 16 PAS 16 BLK 14 SHT 1 CAT with Wither Pass

LD: Zalitz Lv 2 6 END 15 ATK 5 PAS 11 BLK 3 SHT 1 CAT

RD: Svanda Lv 1 10 END 10 ATK 8 PAS 15 BLK 14 SHT 4 CAT

GL: Jumal LV 4 8 END 1 ATK 5 PAS 4 BLK 1 SHT 14 CAT with Super Goalie

though quick question, when a player I have signed has their contract expire, will I get the option to renew them without having to go to their location or do I have to travel everytime I want to renew them?

edit:never mind, that got answered as soon as I posted this.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Well here is my current team now. I am shutting out everyone now

LF: Tidus Lv 13 18 END 5 ATK 7 PAS 4 BLK 20 SHT 3 CAT with Jecht Shot and Sphere Shot

RF: Wedge Lv 11 18 END 15 ATK 3 PAS 11 BLK 18 SHT 2 CAT with Wither and Venom Shot

MF: Brother Lv 14 17 END 10 ATK 23 PAS 23 BLK 16 SHT 1 CAT with Wither Pass, Tackle and Shot 2

LD: Ropp Lv 8 10 END 11 ATK 12 PAS 15 BLK 1 SHT 2 CAT with Wither Tackle and Nap Shot

RD: Svanda Lv 3 11 END 10 ATK 9 PAS 15 BLK 15 SHT 4 CAT with Venom Tackle 3

GL: Jumal Lv 9 9 END 1 ATK 5 PAS 4 BLK 2 SHT 15 CAT with Super Goalie

I wish Leagues didn't take so long. But I am now in one with Status Reels as the prize.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
42 games later, I finally have all the Wakka stuff from Blitzball. Never again

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I noticed something I'm not sure is a bug or glitch or what. Before I even got Doublecast or Ultima, all the -aga and down spells still cost 2 MP even after unlocking Lulu's weapon with the One MP Cost ability. After I got double cast all the individual spells cost 2 MP still. This doesn't happen with Yuna ether.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
So now I just spent an hour fighting Omega Weapon. Those extra 900,000 HP and All Element absorption really make a difference in the fight difficulty.

I use Tidus, Yuna and Lulu as my main party. Tidus was Hasting everyone and was my item monkey when I needed a Megalixer (which I had nearly 35 of from completing something for the Celestial Weapons I think).

I had Yuna Casting Auto-Life on everyone then Shell then Protect and recasting everything when ether a character or my party was wiped. One of her turns usually fell before Omega so I would have her Summon so the Aeon could take the brunt of the attacks for the first half. I also would use Grand Summon if possible on Anima or Magus Sisters since they do a lot of damage with their Overdrives. The Magus Sister are good to have as Sandy and do a gently caress ton of damage with her Physical and Special attacks. Though if Cindy gets Reflected, Mindy will cast Black Magic spells and end up healing Omega. They also last a lot longer then any Aeon since it gives Omega three targets to attack instead of one and they have a lot more health then your characters.

Lulu would use every turn to Doublecast Ultima. Using the Aeons as cover I was also able to switch Kimahri in to Lancet Nova out of him and then back out without him dying and wasting time trying to get him up just to switch him.

At this point I also had Lulu and Yuna going down each others Standard Sphere Grid path since they both finished theirs and got the Holy and Flare spells. I used Blk Magic and White Magic Sphere to just give the other Ultima, Holy and Flare and a Special Sphere to give Yuna Doublecast. When Yuna Actually did manage to Buff everyone and had no more Aeons, I had her double up with Lulu on the Double Ultima though that was near the end.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

precision posted:

Is fighting these optional enemies fun for normal, sane, well-adjusted people?

I'm not asking that rhetorically, I've never tried to fight any optional bosses in FF and reading that description of the fight I just can't figure out where the "fun" element comes into play.

Well, Omega was much easier in the original version. He only had 99,999 HP and only resisted every element. He got quite the upgrade for International I didn't know about since I was using my FFX Strategy Guide of the original.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I have decided to go the "Tape the controller" route for AP/EXP grinding in X-2 I am at Mushroom Rock. I got to level 20 by doing the same thing on Mi'ihen but I forgot Tonberrys are on Mushroom Rock so when I checked recently, they were fighting one, but they still kick it's rear end. I think I can go to work and not worry about the girls dying on me.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I never noticed that the Difficult stars on the FFX-2 Map actually changed based on your level. Being at level 35 in Chapter 1 has made every place on the map have a 1 star rating.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Why must Chocobos be part of some annoying mini-game? VII had the breeding, IX had the Hot and cold, X has the race and X-2 Has the Ranch.

I just spend some time trying to catch lv 5 chocobos. Out of the 20 or so I have caught in Ch. 5 only about 6 can be lv 5 and 4 of them came from my last collection of 10 from the Thunder Plains. Now I have to grind battles to get Greens to raise them. I am taking advantage of it though to finish mastering the Samurai, Mascot and Songstress dresspheres. (The only reason I haven't yet got it mastered is I was waiting until I got the dance books to so I could do it in one go)

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

johnnyonetime posted:

Yeah I'm at this point right now. I just wanted the World Champion and the Jupiter Sigil but you have to get all of Wakka's Overdrives for the Sigil. I've been using the Reset Data trick just because the Al Bhed Physics get difficult to be real quick and it's the last Celestial Weapon I need.

I think in the end I'll have to play about 40 games of Blitzball to get the World Champion powered up.

I didn't use the reset trick mostly because even with a good team set-up the base opposing teams are still stacked against you so I just kept going.

I had 42 games by the time I had the JS and that was the last item I needed for powering up the Weapons.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Ok, I haven't paid too much attention to the battle animations while AP grinding, but since I am almost done I took over for Rikku's last 5 Songstress abilities and her "dance" animation creeps me the gently caress out. I have no idea what the hell kind of dance she is suppose to be doing.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Instant Grat posted:

I'm a bit lost, what's the point of fighting the optional superbosses if you're not actually gonna fight them?

The simple answer:
Trophies

there is one for beating Penance who you can only fight after beating all the dark aeons which itself is required for the platinum.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Instant Grat posted:

I don't care about this at all because trophies are completely meaningless.

That's fine. I don't care about them ether but that is pretty much way some people are bothering. I only bothered with Dark Valfor to get the Jecht Sphere and Valfor's second overdrive (I forgot to grab it while I was still in Besaid)

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
So with the announcement, I pulled out my copy of Theatrythm and started playing it again. Now I remembered why I stopped.

Can someone enlighten me as to why the detection on the arrow notes is ether too drat sensitive to any slip in the wrong direction (i.e. put the stylus on the screen and a is slips a very tiny bit up on a right arrow) or not sensitive enough that it is reading them as taps? I can Crit/Great most of the FFII battle music but I will keep losing chains on those stupid arrow notes even if I do the exact same motions over and over every time I restart the drat song.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Polsy posted:

Wasn't there a thing where all those quotes stop happening after a certain point in the game? Did they fix that? (assuming it was unintentional, I forget)

Maybe the opening battle quotes. I think I was still getting "Farewell" "Boo yah" "See Ya" fairly often when I was catching all the monsters at the end.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
SO if I like Final Fantasy, would anyone recommend Dragon Quest/Warriors? and What is a good game to start with?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
okay so basically the DS games and VIII. I think I will go for those.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
So for those who gave me advice on Dragon Quest yesterday, I have managed to pick up 4, 8 and 9 so far I will probably get 5 & 6 when I get paid next and then maybe sometime after get 1-3 on GBC. I'm on the fence about 7. should I go for a PSX copy or should I still hold out hope for a localized 3DS version even though it's been a year since it came out in Japan over a year ago?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
So I started replaying FFVIII today. I was going for 100 pts in each of the SeeD rank categories. I managed it except for one. Judgment which is the one based on how much time is left when you beat Ifrit in the Fire Cave. to get 100 pts you have to finish with 0:00-0:07 time on the clock. I learned that if it hits zero after you beat him and he said he would join you, instant game over, but if it hits zero while his is say he will join you, no game over. BUT, when I got to the end (after grinding 75+ enemies for Attack and getting back to the beach before 25:00 on the escape clock while only escaping once) I found out my Judgment score was 0 pts. :shepicide:

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I am playing the Curtain Call demo and drat do I love having button mode as an option.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Curtain Call brought to light one more reason for m,e to really not like 12. You have a full orchestra no matter where you go. Stormy mountain top: Full orchestra booming away. a clam field: Full orchestra plays on. I really don't need music that is so full of energy all the drat time.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Rirse posted:

The only issue I have with Curtain Call is using the analog stick for the swipes and somehow it not registering the motion when I did them right.

I have that issue too but it still happens less often then it did in the first one when I was forced to use the stylus.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
So I just Finished the main story of Final Fantasy XIII-2 I was planning on get Lightning Returns when I finished but, drat now I have to play it just to see how they end out the trilogy.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
So now I have refinished the final battle with all 160 fragments. :shepicide: (Sarah vs Caius paradox battle)

As far as getting Lightning Returns, I actually asked for it for my birthday in couple of weeks so we'll see if some one gets it for me or I end up buying it later.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

maou shoujo posted:

In FFX-2, what all carries over through a New Game Plus and what doesn't? I missed a few things here and there, most notably the Trainer dressphere. I'm trying to decide if it would be better to do all the chapter 5 sidequests and postgame stuff before or after NG+.

Percentage, dressspheres, garment grids, time, accessories? (I think)

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

maou shoujo posted:

What about experience levels, abilities learned, beastiary completion, and fiend tale completion? Those are the main things I'm concerned with since they take a ton of grinding to max out.

edit: Fiend Arena tournament and team unlocks too, since those also take a lot of time.

you start at level 1, abilities are kept, all beastiary and fiend tale. (I looked up a gamefaqs guide and the FF wiki for the fiend tale and beastiary stuff)

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
It looks very nice and smooth from those three vids that were posted, but I think I will stick with my PS3 copies for now. My external HDD that I store all my games on is at 160 GB right now and I really don't want to have to put up with a 100 GB+ download at the moment. maybe somewhere down the line I will consider buying a copy of the PC port.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
So I got Lightning Returns for my birthday. Oh boy this new combat system...

this may take me a while.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I already had to start over in Lightning returns because I used up all my EP in Lux before I moved on to other areas. I fell short on the first day with the guide I was using mostly because I couldn't find a treasure or the directions were slightly confusing on which way to go.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Schwartzcough posted:

Ugh, seriously, do not do this. Any guide saying you HAVE to do all this stuff on X day is lying. If you follow a guide, it'll probably have you finish everything in a few days with a ton of time left over.

It doesn't say I have to stuff on day X, but it is designed to have me finished with all the main quest and a good chunk of side quest by the end of day 4.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Schwartzcough posted:

And my point is why would you restart over that? The game gives you 13 days to do what the guide would have you finish in 4. There are no trophies for getting everything done early.

Because I didn't realize it ended at day 4 until I looked it up about an hour ago.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
So quick update on LR. I am approaching Midnight on Day 2 and apparently I spent so long running around that I have actually exterminated the Drayds and the Rafflesias. The Miniflans are close as the beastiary says they are rare now.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Japan is like a horrible accident you want to look away from yet can't because you a morbidly curious.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
LR and FFXIII-2 spoiler gently caress Caius and his broken Body and Soul ability. That stupid move is the bane of my existence

EDIT: gently caress IT, I'M SKIPPING HIM TILL LATER

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

ImpAtom posted:

In his case it won't. That particular Boss doesn't gain power over days IIRC.

And that is why I am fine skipping him.