Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'm slowly reading my way through the recent FFVIII LP and a lot of people recommended this "Altimate Rewrite". (Seems better organised on the google docs link than the RPG.net forums.)

I'm really curious what the main story is changed to in it with regards to Ultimecia, Ellone and the time travel. But I find it kind of unreadable and horribly boring.
I've gotten a few things about the characters through skimming, like I know they remembered the orphanage but didn't remember Edea. No idea what's going on with Cid though.

Don't suppose anybody could summarise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

If you don't mind spoilers, here's a handy and simple guide to what the gently caress is happening with Kingdom Heart's plot.
My brain hurts.

They made the silver haired characters easy to follow, didn't they?!

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I don't know if IceTheRetroKid is considered official gaming press.

edit: seriously, guys. It's basically just a random blog.

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 29, 2012

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
How did they manage to ruin FFT's gameplay systems so much in FFTA, anyway? It wasn't just laws.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

trying to score a Kotetsu off a Werewolf
Why did this sentence make me flinch?

I haven't played FFXII in a very long time and genuinely don't remember.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
It never ceases to amaze me how footage that doesn't come close to showing any gameplay or telling a story can build hype. I mean there are people who are still looking forward to Versus XIII? Based on what?!
Hell, any hype is mind-boggling when you consider the track record of Square-Enix.

On a lighter and more nostalgic note: does the theory that everyone's favourite FF game was their first hold true?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

To be fair, that was just over a year ago, now.
After five years of waiting too.

I'm surprised they did show gameplay, I'm actually convinced it's a real game now. Still confused about the hype, considering the gameplay just looks like Kingdom Hearts but without the colour.

The White Dragon posted:

Man you don't paint the walls with diarrhea more than once unless you still think it was the best idea since the telegraph.
Don't ever change. :allears:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
FFIX is not pleasant to play. I hate the amount of lengthy, boring dungeons, I hate most of the gameplay design, the battle system is boring, the encounter rate is ridiculous...

On the other hand, the music is good, the story is enjoyable, the characters are fantastic and you can tell there was a lot of heart behind it. So I feel bad for hating it, but god, I really do hate that gameplay.

Yay for Let's Plays.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Pesky Splinter has probably saved you fifteen hours right there.

edit: whoops. I only just remembered to respond to this.

The White Dragon posted:

The dungeons are actually really short and only give the visual illusion of being long (not to mention first-time-through syndrome where everything feels overwhelming and you're not sure what you need to do to progress). Even Oelivert, which seems gigantic, is like a ten-minute jog if you know what you're doing; it's only six or seven screens large, and that's counting both the room with the Moogle and the boss room. Memoria is, what, ten or twelve of varying length, plus four really short ones in the Crystal World. The encounter rate is a lot lower than you're suggesting, too, and you'll normally only get one or two encounters running from one end of a screen to the other unless you're thoroughly exploring an area.
All I can say is I didn't find the dungeons or the encounter rate too bad in FFVII or VIII. Or most of VI.

Most people don't know exactly what they need to progress, and would explore thoroughly because of items. Also instead of having cool, interesting gimmicks like in VII or VIII, IX tends to have more backtracking and running back and forth through the dungeons.

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 13, 2012

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'm starting to feel bad for never getting out of that cave at the beginning of FFV the three or so times I tried to play it.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
FFXII did the whole fal'cie thing so much better. "Occuria give you nukes and that means they own you and control the destiny of mankind" is a bit more of an interesting narrative than "Nonsensical Focus! L'cie! Bitches turning into crystals! Fal'cie! Don't ask why! Look at the shiny! Focus! Anime gasp! L'cie! Cutscene where we stop to say we have to keep moving! Focus!"

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I totally abused that chakra thing and the JP glitch.

penguinmambo posted:

I like how anyone with that much dedication to cleaning up the series would use the lovely AC outfits. Yes I'm that guy :goonsay:
That guy is my favourite guy. :colbert:

Why would you want Cloud in navy blue with a half skirt and one random sleeve?

(Also why would you re-buy a fifteen year old game now with extra DRM crap?)

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Is it weird that I'm genuinely annoyed when Square Enix publishes good games? As a developer I practically boycott them because they haven't made a good game in about a hundred million years and seem to be working to make old games from their heyday retroactively worse.
But since they own Eidos, I have to give this evil company money for great games like Deus Ex Human Revolution. Or to a lesser extent Just Cause 2 or Sleeping Dogs or possibly the upcoming Tomb Raider game.

I'm probably taking the corporate stuff too seriously, but after all their constant repeated mistakes, awful games and infuriating fanbase, I genuinely want to see S-E fail. Lord knows they've earned it.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
FFVIII is probably my second favourite game in the series and I can't disagree with a single word Loving Life Partner said. :v:

Although I'd also point out that disc 1 is far from perfect with a lot of those things, with the dance, with the "I don't want to be talked about in the past tense!" and the fact the game never really acknowledges the whole 16 year old soldier thing.

On the other hand, disc 2 has the part where Balamb Garden takes off and it's amazing. With the music and the bit with the basement control panel flying up through three or so floors to the roof and the music and the missiles are all like whooosh and then it's like boooom and then the Garden is like zoooooom and it's awesome!
But why did the missiles- Shh.
But why did the Garden- Be quiet.
How did- shut up.
Just don't think about it. Any of it. At all.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Lost Odyssey is pretty good. There was a decent LP of it started, but I don't think it got far or updated often, sadly.
I desperately want to play The Last Story (and Xenoblade), but I never bought a Wii and everyone I know who did has since sold theirs. :smith:

Azure_Horizon posted:

No, all anyone could actually think is, "that is the goddamn worst line in a jRPG."
I wouldn't have minded it so much if it was like some sheltered kid in a small village in a typical JRPG, but Squall literally murders people for a living.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Did the patch fix the translation? (Yes, I mean the new translation.)

Sorry, that's going to start another argument here, isn't it? Oh, well. All bets on TWD. Even though I liked Vagrant Story's language-ing.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Kefka is not interesting at all, his only defining features are he kills things and laughs... oh and he's a clown, I guess that's a thing.
There's something in the way he doesn't fly around and be all intimidating and all-knowing like a typical JRPG villain. He's a scheming little weasel who spends half the game being a coward. Instead of summoning the magical dead god world-destroying spell, he's just the dick who would poison a city's water supply.
And there's the fact that by the time he does cheat his way into JRPG power, he actually succeeds at destroying the world.

And Edgar is great. :mad:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I'm still wondering how it took Square 12 games to realize "Oh hey, maybe everyone should collectively share exp so that way half of the cast isn't severely under leveled by end game.
Wait, don't they auto level up a bit behind you like in FFVII?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

No now a days Square redoes the lip syncing when dubbing the games, thankfully.
Wait, what? Then why is the voice acting still so stilted and anime-ish?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
You know "the good part" is just more battles but in a more open environment?

:ssh: It's not that good.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'm planning on replaying FFVI, but I want to stroll through it. Well, I want to steamroll it and be as OP as possible. Other than grinding and the waterfall grinding - any tips?

(Yes, I found the game kinda hard first time.)

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Did they really bring in Florence and the (goddamn) Machine just do a dull cover of a dull song?

And after the song they did for Snow White and the Huntsman was about a hundred times better than the actual movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

RatHat posted:

Well they've got like 6 months to optimize, that's quite a long time.
For that, it's probably not. Games just don't see a general framerate bump mid-development. Metal Gear Rising was hitting 50FPS as soon as it was playable and I'm sure that's true for the good Call of Duties too. (Also Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain?) Most I think you can hope for is reduction in areas/moments where the FPS temporarily drops or hitches.

I'd love to be wrong, but given the time they had between the first demo and the second...