Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Terper posted:

Some Xenoblade stuff and Radiant Historia.

Also Shimomura's great, y'all can gently caress right off.

The Radiant Historia soundtrack was fantastic and was the best part of the game. Shimomura's all right by me.

And that Bowser's Inside Story final boss theme is amazing. I love the way new Mario games have insanely dramatic music for their final boss themes--this one's right up there with the Galaxy 2 final boss music, just with less choir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Defiance Industries posted:

It also really trivialized characters leaving the party in terms of gameplay. Whoops, Cloud left your group? Good thing you can slap all that materia on Cid and have him function basically the same! Aeris died? Slot that poo poo into another party member's gear and you're set. Allowing players to come up with a party configuration they like can be accomplished in ways other than making characters walking coat racks that are all functionally identical. It's probably, come to think of it, a consequence of how you only get three party slots and for several chunks of the game, you only get to choose one, as much as anything else.

This really bothered me about FFVIII, too; in fact, they made it so there was an easy shortcut in the menu to do exactly what you're describing.

IX is an example of the opposite done well: even though every character is distinct, and some are better at some things than other characters are, you'll still see people disagreeing about what the best party configuration is. Some people like to roll Zidane, Garnet, Vivi, and Steiner, for that classic combination. Some people take Freya along, because they like her Dragon skills. Amarant can do some beautiful things if you have the patience to level up the last dude who joins you, and Quina is a monster if you get all his/her Blue Magic. I guess the "optimal" party for endgame is Zidane, Freya, Amarant, and Quina, but the difference in efficacy is small enough that you can not only use whatever characters you want, but doing so will net you a different gameplay experience than other players.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Nah, the optimal loadout definitely includes Vivi with Reflect x2 and everyone with Auto-Reflect equipped. Reflect 9999 Bios on everything (except Ozma).

That's right: Vivi is so excellent that the entire rest of the party is only there as a magic amplifier.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

'Best' party would technically be Zidane/Freya/Quina/Eiko, since the first three can get guaranteed 9999s and Eiko is plenty strong in her own right and has Phoenix, Dispel, Esuna and Full-Life.

I know people say Dagger is the better Summoner, but I always found Eiko to be better because almost nothing resists Holy anyway (the only ones that really do are the Friendly Monsters) and Madeen doesn't need gems to power up. Vivi hits all the elements Dagger does so the only real reason Dagger's a better choice mechanically is her better equipment selection (particularly the Stardust Rod) and stats.

But really all the characters merit placements in their own right. I tend not to use Amarant and Quina because the former can't get easy 9999s like the other melees and Quina has terrible Spirit and Frog Drop takes forever to level, but I've used them endgame before with no real detriments.

See, look at all these best parties--and then people using parties that aren't that and still having a great time. That's how much FFIX rules.

Even though Eiko is by far the better healer than Garnet (and probably about as good of a summoner) I still never use her, just because I like Garnet as a character. I tend to roll Zidane, Garnet, Vivi, and either Freya or Steiner, depending on if I want guaranteed 9999s from Freya or Magic Sword from Steiner. One time I put Amarant in instead of Vivi for the final dungeon and found him surprisingly effective, too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Barudak posted:

Anytime you're ever wondering why the story in FFXIII doesn't make sense just remember the cutscenes were made independent of the script writers and the lead script writer didn't even know how he wanted to end the game until he saw the game's logo art.

FFXIII is probably my favorite of the combat engines in an FF game but like you said the story is paced without a conclusion in mind as though they were making filler episodes for an anime and just waiting for the manga to catch up.

FFXIII's combat system didn't really click for me until the Vercingtorix fight.

Yeah, the last superboss.

I mean, that fight was so fun. It absolutely demanded that the player constantly be switching paradigms, to read even the smallest tell, to know the most efficient way to increase the break meter, just constant movement and change and shifting. When I finished the fight I found myself wondering why the game didn't switch into that mode halfway through and only build from there, because that split-second paradigm shifting finally made me realize how cool the game really could've been.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Speaking of being a creep, what's Setzer's deal? I never finished FFVI but I did make it to right when he has his first battle with your party. But before that he was introduced as this guy who swooped in and abducted women.

Bold, daring and flashy, but ultimately it seems more creepy than simply grabbing a girl's rear end.

That pretty much just gets passed over and never mentioned again. I think it was supposed to be played as a sort of goofy Bowser-like thing ("Gwahaha, I'll kidnap the princess and she'll be mine!"), but in retrospect, because the game takes itself so seriously at other times, it kind of falls flat.

At least he has the decency to respect when he's been out-swindled, when Celes uses a double-headed coin.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FFIV gets ranked as highly as it does because, when it came out, it was kind of a "holy poo poo, video games can DO this?" sort of moment. It certainly wasn't the first game to have a story, or even a relatively complex one, but it was certainly one of the most popular, and it pretty much set the stage for every single Final Fantasy to follow. FFIV gets as much respect as it does because of what it represents, with a healthy sprinkling of nostalgia. I don't think it aged nearly as well as FFV or VI, though. If you didn't play it when you're a kid, you're probably not going to really love it, or even like it, as anything more than a historical curiosity--like, "I guess I should play FFIV because I like FF so much."

That said, I loved the DS version of FFIV. It updated things just enough--and juiced up the difficulty just enough--that it was a pretty fresh experience for me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MarsDragon posted:

Watching Kain descend into madness is about the only reason I want to play the DS version. Except everything I've heard about it makes it sound like an unfun slog. Are there like...videos or something?

The DS version of FFIV is easily the best version of the game. It's also the hardest--not in a "you need to grind for hours" way, but just in an "everything is a real threat to you all the time" way--which may or may not be appealing. I'm sure there's a Let's Play out there, but also Kain's descent into madness is really just a few short messages while going through the menu in certain areas of the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

1st AD posted:

That's exactly what happened to me. Like, I had MAYBE 2 turns before I wiped, and I was attacking the whole time.

Maybe it's a difference in taste, then. It's entirely possible to get murdered by the first random battle in Shin Megami Tensei IV and it's probably my favorite RPG of the generation. FFIV DS is probably the only Final Fantasy that has made me feel like I'm threatened in every area of the game and can't just mash A to victory. FFXII can do that, too, later in the game, which probably explains why I like that as well.

FFIX, while easy as hell, is still my favorite, because obviously there's a lot more to a game than challenge. But FFIV DS was really good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TARDISman posted:

They could go to incredible lengths to make the entire story of the game about brotherhood and badass male friendships and end up making an amazing story, and the internet would still take a poo poo on it for not having a female playable character. Personally, I just find the timing hilarous, that during all the crazy poo poo happening with the role of women in video games and the female demographic, to announce that the entire playable cast is male.

I think the biggest problem with it is the timing, yes. I fully expect the story will be all about brotherhood, but because of when the game is being released it's going to come across as extremely tone-deaf on their parts.

I said it this way over in the PS4 thread: I'm fine with it, and I'm still pretty excited for FF15 given everything we've seen about it. I think there's a nasty trend of stories that you're not "allowed" to tell because of the current social climate, and that bothers me, so I hate the idea that a game featuring an all-male cast like this is something that "shouldn't" be made or something. But I also don't think I could possibly argue with someone who thinks otherwise. Even given FF's history of compelling female protagonists, this is just plain the wrong time to try this if you don't want massive audience backlash.

What I'm saying is that for the sake of my own frustration levels I should probably stay the hell away from any comments section on any article about FF15 indefinitely.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Well, you're allowed to tell any story you want. It's just that stories are not free from criticism or discussion. Usually when people say that something isn't allowed, they mean "I don't want to face any criticism for what I wrote" as opposed to "I am not allowed to write this."

I don't want to come off that way, so I'm sorry if I did. I don't mean to imply that criticizing the lack of diversity in the cast is an invalid criticism, because it really isn't.

What I'm trying to say is that I honestly don't think it would matter if FFXV somehow tells the most moving, stirring story about brotherhood and male friendship that has ever been told in a video game: it's still going to get torn to shreds because the cast isn't very inclusive. Maybe it's that in comments sections about this kind of thing, and on any site that publishes articles about video games, the lack of cast diversity is going to be enough to earn this game some pretty searing backlash. That's what I mean by what you're "allowed" to write--even if the story was incredible, it would still be seen as bad in many high-profile places.

And I don't think I could argue with it--not because I'm incapable of formulating an argument, but because I'm not sure I disagree. I honestly don't know whether it's a fair criticism or not and getting into arguments about it would only serve to frustrate me and anyone responding to me as a result.

It really is tone-deaf, though, to do this now, of all times. At least, for Western audiences. I can't pretend to know a drat thing about FF's Japanese audience.

Mega64 posted:

Only problem with the all-male cast is it breaks the series tradition of "three playable female characters" that's been going on since FF4. Which is a silly thing to care about but hey.

I was about to say Tactics had more than that (not counting generics) until I tried to list them. Agrias, Rafa, and Meliadoul, right? I'm not forgetting anyone? (Alma doesn't count because she's only ever a guest.)

EDIT: Oh, wait, Reis. She's a dragon most of the time, but still.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 22, 2014

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Himuro posted:

Most people seem to be open to the male cast. I'm not seeing any Assassin's Creed outrage going on. I guess given how long S-E has catered to a female demographic, people are open-minded to what they have in mind. I say let them do what they want.

The "best" part of the Assassin's Creed outrage was that Ubisoft's response was not only really lovely, but also just straight-up didn't communicate the real reason at all. The reason why AC: Unity's co-op only has male models is because you, as a player, are always playing as the main protagonist. No matter what, your experience is continuous--you don't have a separate co-op character, it's (supposedly) seamless. There'd be no reason to let you customize your co-op character or what you look like to others in co-op because you'd never see it. From your point of view, you're always the main character, and everyone else is just one of the other assassins working in the area; from their point of view, they're the main character, and you're some random other assassin.

I think that's a pretty valid reason: it's not that it's "too much work," just that the work that would go into it would ultimately be wasted. But nobody from Ubisoft bothered to explain it that way until it was too late and the narrative had already spun out of control. It was a pretty funny PR gently caress-up, all told. And really, having players randomly appear as female instead of male would be fine, and that's probably what they'll do in the face of the backlash. That's how The Last of Us multiplayer works, and nobody seems to mind having their character's sex be randomly assigned at the beginning of the match (and you'd never see it in AC: Unity, anyway).

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 22, 2014

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No see they're talking about streamlining it AND NOW IT'S RUINED AND FOR CASUALS FOREVER.

Jesus you nerds are some fatalistic, panicky weirdos.

I mean, there's "streamlining," and then there's "only ever press one button and let the game decide what you wanted to do."

That said, I wouldn't be too surprised if this turns out to be one of those mistranslation goofs, like when at least one website had an interview with the new director of Dark Souls II that made it sound like he wanted to make the game easier. I bet Tabata does want to streamline things, but I also bet the game won't actually be played with one button. The stuff he said about positioning and baiting enemies to attack makes it sound like he wants the game to look like an action game but not actually be an action game, and instead reward strategic positioning and good planning more than timed button press combos.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 23, 2014

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MindlessHavok posted:

I just found a box of PS2 and a bunch of old games, FFXII among them. I can't remember ever beating it when I originally bought it. Is it worth starting over and running back through?

For reference I played all the way to the near end of XIII and just can't bring myself to finish it.

FFXII is awesome, especially if you're a fan of any of the other Ivalice games.

The International (Zodiac Job System) version is better if you can get your hands on it and the translation patch, but the original version's still a great drat game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I never really enjoyed the gameplay in FF8 (it goes from "kind of boring" to "astonishingly broken" really quickly once you understand how junctions and card modding work), but the story in the first two discs is loving awesome. I replayed it a few years back because I remembered hating FF8, and then I couldn't remember why I hated it for the first two discs. It was so much better than I remembered.

Then as soon as I put in disc three I realized that Squall's entire character arc happened in the time it took me to change the discs, and everything just started to go all weird and silly, and not in the fun, campy MGS3 way, and I remembered why I'd been so down on it. I'm much less harsh about it now than I used to be, so that's good, but it's still (almost) my least favorite of the numbered FFs. (I just can't like 2 no matter how hard I try.)

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yup. Just one number short of being the best.

:golfclap:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Can someone remind me how Tidus was a made up ghost but Jecht was (I think) a real person who historically did exist? I can't remember if/how the story ever explained that and it's bugging me.

Think of Tidus and Jecht like they're aeons. They (and their Zanarkand) were created in pretty much the same way.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

I don't remember IX's last dungeon very much. I know it wasn't terrible nor great. I thought I remember X's last dungeon being kind of uneventful. Plus, unless you sprinted through the game, the boss was incredibly easy. I remember that fight and I didn't even do much of the side questing. That dungeon was underwhelming.

I love IX forever and ever, but its final dungeon is just... eh. It looks really cool and has great music, but it's pretty short and uneventful aside from the FF1-callback Fiend bosses.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

That Gideon Emery, I hear?

Hope so.

I wish Gideon Emery voiced more video game protagonists rather than side characters. I mean, Balthier ruled in no small part thanks to his voice (and, of course, was the leading man).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

I never really used the summons even though I'm pretty sure I got all of them. Maybe their designs were interesting, but it's like, I already have Basch with Brave + Berserk + Haste, why should I waste my time with anything else unless I'm doing something very specific? Sure FF12 had some interesting commands, but thanks to the addition of Brave especially, it really suffered from the "clone characters" problem that FF6-8 had where you only wanna do that one thing because everything else is less efficient.

The summons look awesome and have great music, but I never found them even vaguely useful. For me, they existed to unlock new parts of the sphere grid for certain characters (especially in the International version, where half of my job assignment indecision was "who needs which esper more?"), then summon once to gawk at, and then forget about.

I love FF12 anyway, but yeah.

Gologle posted:

You guys are making me really sad I made Balthier a Machinist instead of like, a mage or literally anything else. I thought guns were alright, and barely noticed he was slower than everybody else.

Balthier makes a great White or Black Mage in International. He's a great White Mage because his innate Steal gives him something to do while he isn't healing (and means that you can save one of your attackers from having to take time to Steal in combat). The same is true of Fran, actually, and I made her my White Mage instead because the reason Balthier makes a great Black Mage is much more amusing.

See, Balthier has the lowest natural Magic stat in the game--even lower than Basch, if I remember correctly. But Black Mage gets so many Magic-boosting licenses and powerful Magic-boosting pieces of equipment that it doesn't matter even a little bit what the character's natural Magic stat is. Elemental weaknesses matter much more than Magic in the early game, and in the late game your Black Mage will have maxed-out Magic no matter what. You're basically wasting a high-Magic character like Ashe if you make her a Black Mage--better to make her something like a Samurai, where that high Magic can help go full :japan: with a katana.

Of course, it's also important to note that the game isn't nearly hard enough to justify putting this much effort into min-maxing and the correct way to play is to just give each character the job they have the coolest weapon animations for and call it a day. I make Vaan a Monk basically every time because he looks cool swinging a pole around. Then again, it also helps that Monk is a great job and he's super good at it, but he's got the stats to be good at anything, so I guess that doesn't count.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Srice posted:

Isn't that the one where they put in a lot of dumb references. I think I recall them comparing someone to William Shatner at one point.

And of course most of the characters now swear a lot even when it doesn't fit.

This was back when Working Designs was everyone's idea of a good translation, so I'm not too surprised that a bunch of fourth-wall breaking references were thrown in.

(I still love Working Designs but I think it's mostly nostalgia for me now.)

Emalde posted:

What the hell version of FF4 is recommended? The internet at large seems to be completely at odds on PSP vs DS/PC/Smartphone, wanted to know if I should be looking at the PC release while it's still on Steam sale.

The DS (and I guess therefore PC/phone) version is my favorite. Someone upthread described the difficulty as "SMT difficulty" and that's pretty accurate. The game will beat the everloving gently caress out of you if you don't make aggressive use of buffs and debuffs, which I personally like in a JRPG, because I want those to be there for a reason.

FF4, back when it was FF2 on the SNES and FF"3" hadn't even come out yet, was my first RPG, so I definitely have a soft spot for any version that maintains the graphics of the SNES version, too. The DS version's more engaging gameplay overcame that for me, though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wish I could understand the Japanese during the "here's what the controls do!" part. I'm pretty clear on most of it but I don't know what Triangle does. Also, do you just hold L1 to dodge indefinitely or do you have to tap it every time?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This actually looks pretty fun.

I'm still a little "eh" over the reveal a while ago that you basically just hold a button to do long strings of melee combos, but if there are other sources of gameplay depth I'm fine with that. I'm not going into this expecting Dragon's Dogma, I'm going in expecting Final Fantasy. I mean, poo poo, I even ended up kind of enjoying FF13's battles once the difficulty started to ramp up, so I guess there's not a high interactivity bar to clear with me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sunning posted:

If FFXV is a commercial failure and unable to appeal to mainstream audiences, I think management will seriously look in taking the main games in a different direction. We're already seeing them experiment with putting console style FF games on mobile devices, such as Final Fantasy Mevius.

What about handhelds?

I remain extremely skeptical about mobile gaming--I've yet to encounter a mobile game that I enjoy playing for the same reasons I like playing console and PC games. But handhelds, that's a different story. Handhelds seem like the perfect home for JRPGs at this point, and if the Final Fantasy series moved to making handheld main-line entries that are more in line with the SNES and PS1/2 era of FF games, I would be just fine with that. I mean, poo poo, Bravely Default was awesome and the sequel looks like it'll be just as great.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Handhelds are in pretty rough shape. They used to have a dedicated niche of portable gaming but increasingly large amounts of people have smartphones and are satisfied with smartphone offerings. You might not be satisfied by them (and I'm not particularly either) but for a lot of people they're Good Enough.

bloodychill posted:

It's been said plenty but the big problem with mobile is interface. Some classic and popular genres translate really well to touch interface (strategy, tactics, tower defense, adventure) but most do not. I actually don't think there's any reason classic turn-based games are inherently poorly suited to mobile, but outside some of the SE remakes, the famously poorly supported TWEWY port, and a handful of decent small studio games, there just aren't a lot.

That might just be explained by the lovely business model that accompanies mobile games.

To be fair, I haven't actually tried any of the Final Fantasy mobile ports, and that's mostly because the "improved" graphics on the ones I want to play are eye-searingly awful. I probably would've grabbed FF6 on Android by now if it didn't look like an RPG Maker game. That's probably a super petty reason, but, I mean, the old graphics were fine. They were better than fine.

I'm hesitant to make any predictions or wishes for "market crashes," because the more crackpot areas of games commentary (your /v/-types) have been shouting about it for years now, but maybe it'll take some sort of a widespread rejection of IAP before mobile will start having the type of games I'd actually want to play. That, and better ways to actually interact with games on smartphones. I'm a late-20s "old" curmudgeon and it took me a while to warm up to touchscreens in general, especially for typing, and I still haven't gotten there for controlling games that aren't, well, exactly what you mentioned, bloodychill.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm really interested in how Persona 5 will perform, as it's going to be a big console JRPG that's highly anticipated by its niche. And I have to imagine it has a far more modest budget and scope than FFXV does. If it does well, I could see Atlus repeating what they did on the PS2: a collection of well-made SMT-related games that reuse assets developed for the first game on the console. They're rendering all of the iconic Personas in HD for the first time, after all. It'd be a shame not to use all of them as demons in an SMT game, right?

The point is, if Persona 5 (and, by extension, Atlus) can do well on home consoles, I'd love to see Square-Enix move to making smaller-scale, less mega-budget main series Final Fantasy games on console. They already did the "reuse all of our extremely expensive assets" thing with the FFXIII trilogy, but what if they just didn't have that wildly expensive of assets to begin with?

The answer might not be "JRPGs are dead on consoles," but instead "JRPGs need to stop aiming for megabudget super-hits." And that would be wonderful.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

Now frats will be highly anticipating the release of the next Persona each year. Gamestops across the nation will be flooded by men in their 20's wearing sunglasses indoors and carrying body pillows. Preorder now to get the exclusive golden Mara persona.

"Fraternities are now making pledges call the older members 'senpai.' Find out why this Japanese invasion is bad for your college-aged children at 11!"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Has anyone played Type-0 in any form yet? Worth a buy once it's out in HD?

It looks pretty fun from the videos I've seen and I'm a sucker for a Final Fantasy with an actual world map.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tae posted:

I would say if you just want your Final Fantasy worthness, I guess it's worth it for a 30+ hour game (that, as far as I know, still is a 2 playthrough game), and the FF15 demo.

That doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tae posted:

I can't say if I would recommend it, because I don't know the specific changes they did with the HD version. I think it's worth playing if they change the grinding limitations they put because of PSP culture bullshit, because the gameplay is fun. I also think the premise is far more interesting than its source trilogy.

It depends entirely if you like action RPGs.

I do like action RPGs.

What grinding limitations are we talking here?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tae posted:

It's basically level grinding, and it's two-fold. At a certain point in the game, you finish a mission that's about level 24 or something. Then the very next mission with no sidequeset available is level 30, which is a lot because of how the game scales EXP.

Then you're effectively locked out of certain sidequests because they're 2nd playthrough things that are literally impossible to start because of items, and also because they have level requirements that are higher than the average person beating the game.

HD is apparently supposed to fix the former, because the original relied on a sleep mode or some poo poo that would grind for you. None of the news talked about the 2nd playthrough stuff outside of having another secret movie.

I'm kind of okay with second-playthrough stuff. I like Dragon Quarter, after all. I do hope that the level grinding stuff is smoothed out for HD, though, because that would definitely kill the game for me.

Healbot posted:

Type-0 was a boring (and overhyped among fans) slog. It'll be the penultimate nail in the Final Fantasy coffin before the franchise permanently moves to mobile.

That's some impressive doom and gloom. But at least we'll still have Bravely Default!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wonder if there's any chance of an HD rerelease of FF12 IZJS. I'd play the poo poo out of that, especially if it was on Vita and I can have even more massive games to play on handhelds.

Also: how is FF13-2? I actually thought 13's battle system was pretty okay once I started to think of it as controlling things through high-level strategy (Paradigms) rather than individual orders, but I also thought very few battles actually asked you to really use the system. But also, I have little to no patience for the insane FF13 mythology, so I'd be in it pretty much 100% for gameplay.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

FF13-2's battle system is similar but it asks you to use the system far less than FF13 did. It's actually a significantly easier game in almost every fashion. If you're just in it for the gameplay it isn't gonna work for you.

Aww, dang. I remember finding the harder fights from FF13 really fun, especially the optional bosses like Vercintorix where really quick paradigm shifts were absolutely necessary. I'd hoped they would refine things for FF13-2 and have more of that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

InfinityComplex posted:

Lightning Returns is a reskinned Valkyrie Profile game.

And suddenly everything about that game makes sense.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

Give us a FFXII IZJS HD goddammit!

I'd preorder this pretty much instantly.

I mean, poo poo, if you upscale the game to 1080p right now, it's already beautiful. And IZJS already added widescreen! Just sharpen up the UI elements, make it run on PS3/PS4/Vita or whatever, and we're golden.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Well, now that I've posted about FF12 IZJS in more than one thread I'm possessed with the insatiable urge to play it, so that's what I'm gonna do.

It's normal to spend hours completely unable to decide what job to give everyone, right? I go back and forth based on everyone's innate licenses (like, I like having a White Mage who can Steal and a Red Mage who innately knows Cure) and also on what Espers are appropriate for each character (like Famfrit should go to either Balthier or Fran) before I even start playing.

That's normal, right? Not at all indicative of some awful mental illness?

Right?

Andrast posted:

The XII widescreen support is actually pretty bad and you lose a bit from the top and bottom of your screen if you are using it. If you are using an emulator you can use an actual widescreen patch and it's much better.

Is that true of IZJS as well? I don't think I even knew there was a widescreen patch.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kulkasha posted:

Dude, I made diagrams and poo poo to make sure everyone got balanced and thematic espers. It's like a goddamned math problem.

Yeah, I'm in the midst of that myself. I'm trying to navigate this horrible web of personal requirements. Everyone has to have a job that is thematically appropriate, benefits from thematically appropriate Espers, and works well with their stats and their innate licenses. Literally the only character whose job I've pretty much nailed down is Vaan, because he's an awesome Monk and it works well for him. Beyond that? I know I want my White Mage to have innate Steal, so that's going to be either Balthier or Fran (almost certainly Fran), assuming I take a White Mage at all. I'd like to have a Red Mage. I can't decide what kind of Judge Balthier used to be, and if he'd be more comfortable with a spear (Lancer) or magic (Red Mage, which can reach max Magic even with Balthier thanks to Mystic Armor and Magick Lores). I'm also fairly certain I want Ashe as a Samurai.

Pretty much stuck after that.

Szurumbur posted:

Do the different jobs in FFXII change the character's outfit is my question.

They do not. You also can't change a character's job after you first choose it, so it's not really a full-on Final Fantasy "job system." Still a huge improvement over the vanilla license board, though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CeallaSo posted:

If they do an HD remake of IZJS, this is what they should add.

But then I'll have to make Balthier a Red Mage. Nobody else should dress that stylish.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh, I'm not worried about being able to beat the game. I've played IZJS before, with a Monk, Hunter, Archer, White Mage, Black Mage, Knight team, and it went just fine.

I'm just super-sperg about characters and themes and what job makes the most thematic sense for each character while also letting them work well on a team with other characters I feel like they should work with (Vaan and Penelo, Balthier and Fran), while also letting them benefit from the Espers that fit them best. Oh, and also I want to make sure my main thief/thieves are in jobs where it's okay for them to take a break from contributing damage in order to try to Steal for a little while, like White Mage or something.

It's all very :ohdear:.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

What I personally do with games like those is to set out three jobs in mind for everyone. When I get to a character, I just decide, based on those three, what I'd like. That way you set things up for yourself to be flexible down the road keeping in mind your party composition and experience so far. To make things easier, I usually have two physical and one magical job, so you're never short on options. Gives you less stress while planning

Yeah, that's probably a good idea. If nothing else, I like to split up the group into two teams of three in IZJS so that it's easy to justify using everyone, and I can put together a couple of balanced teams.

My party is probably going to end up looking like this:

Team 1: Balthier (Uhlan/Lancer), Ashe (Samurai), Fran (White Mage)
Team 2: Vaan (Monk), Penelo (Red Mage), Basch (Archer)

But I'm waffling on stupid poo poo like, "I kind of like mage Balthier!" and, "The team with the magical offense should have someone capable of casting Faith!" and...

I'll just start playing tonight when I get home from work and get over it, but still!

Kalenn Istarion posted:

You know what gives even less stress? Not planning and just picking whatever when you get a new character.

Oh, of course, but I'm completely incapable of that. I'd drive myself crazy and sit there starting at the job selection screen for an hour each time. It'd be a bad scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Excellent choice with Samurai Ashe. Get her a Katana and a certain accessory and she can deal some serious damage with just plain old melee attacks. Hell, even without the accessory she is best with a katana from what I can recall.

Honestly, FFXII suits your ideas well since some characters look better with certain weapons than others.

Yep, Ashe is the perfect Samurai. She's the only character who can max both Strength and Magick as a Samurai, and that's pretty much all you need to be a complete murder-blender with that job. When I played vanilla FF12, she was my katana-user then, too.