Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

dis astranagant posted:

If your first film is a massive failure despite bringing in $85 million at the box office you set your sights way, way too high.

Hollywood Accounting is a helluva drug. You wouldn't believe which movies "aren't profitable".

Vanderdeath posted:

I admit, I haven't taken a life-drawing class in almost a decade but Lightning's proportions are roughly 6 head lengths tall and 2 and 1/4ish head lengths across. A normal adult human being is roughly 3 head lengths across and 7 head lengths tall. That can be exaggerated when it comes to the idealized and heroic figure which is usually 8 to 8 and half head lengths tall with longer arms, legs and a bigger torso to compensate. As it stands, Lightning looks like an emaciated teenager with a huge head in most of those pictures.

Manga tends to run wild when it comes to perspective, ranging from the pseudorealistic to chibi (not). FF is already :japan: as gently caress so I could see it taking some artistic liberties with style there.

That said, it just looks goofy and bad. :colbert:

But I agree with the guy who said it could just be awkward screenshots? I'll wait till I see them in an official media or in-game, but I am concerned.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Krad posted:

Robo looks exactly like the Mammon machine. :psyduck:

Wait... that's Chrono Trigger?!?! :stare:

Wow I didn't recognize that at all.

Hah, Lucca looks like Marvin from Sailor Moon (was that his name? Oh god why did I remember that :ohdear:)

Magus has some kinda Sephiroth thing going on. (End result looked more like Vegeta :cheeky: lol Akira Toriyama)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Eidos handled the PC ports of FF7 and FF8, so I could see Square trusting them. That said, they weren't the best ports :haw: but that was a different time.

Apparently FF8 is being remastered in HD for PC?! I didn't hear about that. Huuh.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mustach posted:

Yeah, I was just thinking of old save files. I wonder what triggers the game uses to check for that stuff.

Its probably just a really dumb 'if you hit X condition triggger X achievement" with no caring about the session at all. Honestly though I'd prefer a bunch of people cheating to get achievements (who cares?) to making it such that the Steam version has locked saves and you can't modify your saves or import saves from the other PC version.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Meiteron posted:

I'll preface this by saying that I agree with pretty much all the sentiment that XIV has a pretty excellent story even if it's not really pushing any boundaries as far as plots go.

That said, I think at least some of the praise has to be attributed to the fact that the closest item of comparison is the "plot", and I cannot make those quotes large or scary enough, of FFXIII and it's subsequent sequels. Compared to that of course it's going to look good if for no other reason than it drops all the ridiculous, convoluted pretenses and goes back to the basics of a Final Fantasy plot and is all the better for it.

If XIII didn't exist though and we were comparing XIV to FFXII or even FFX (or hell, FFXI, which actually has a bunch of exceptionally good stories practically no one will ever experience now) I think it'd be treated a bit more harshly in story comparison.

A bit more harshly, sure. XIII lowered the bar. :smith:

But I think XIV really holds up well against XII and X, as was said the localization is just unbelievable. Everybody who really plays the game at some point or other ends up reading a quest that cracks them up, or gets surprised by a dark or mature or honest moment. Its really well done, and even incorporates all kinds of western cultural references.

That said, FF stories have always been a total clusterfuck. They're presented in such an amazing way though, we don't notice. Well, I guess the first few were pretty simple fantasy fare, but from 4 on they get more complex, 6 becomes an epic and is pretty complex, 7 is all over the place, and 8 and 9 get all kinds of existential. Seriously as much as I love it 8 just really makes no goddamned sense. Worst villain ever.

Sorry, but IMO X-2 still looks bad. I'm a sucker for a class/job system so I'll buy dressspheres but the story and mission structure were pretty meh. Plus they ditched the best characters from X (Auron, Waka, Lulu) and brought in a younger Lulu knockoff (Payne) for no reason. X-2 and XIII are just bad. Both are pretty, but that's it. You can make yourself care for the first act, but once you're halfway through the game you're just having to force yourself to keep playing.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 23, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

After listening to you guys and the general internet, I was starting to think "yeah, I guess I look at FF7 with rose colored glasses, and its kinda overrated"

Then I got to playing through VIII again, and holy poo poo it has so many problems. I guess I was high on FF coming off 7 and the intro to 8 is pretty original and cool but the story is just bleeeeergh. Plot development? Character motivations? Who needs that poo poo. We've got animu teenagers!

Went and played VII afterwards and its like a breath of delicious fresh air, sooooo much better. Sefir and Edea are like some lovely back alley knockoff of Sephiroth and Jenova missing all the substance. Ultemicia is never remotely explained. I can actually come up with my own Rinoa-Ultimecia scheme that makes a ton more sense than the ridiculous normal fan theory I've heard (3 alternate universes? Why is that necessary? Just use time travel and solve everything) but the game doesn't explain poo poo, so it doesn't matter.

Also I'm finally playing VII on the PC with mods, I tried to mod it like years ago and ended up with problems and didn't like all the inconsistencies of the art replacements (Cloud was super detailed, other supporting characters were mixed, non main characters looked normal; weird juxtaposition), but with a modern mod loader I was able to configure it to my liking; I've still got all the original menus and everything (I hate the UI redesigns) but now the game uses the battle models in the overworld (no more popeye arms!) which works surprisingly well, and higher quality soundtracks and field textures and stuff, it really updates the game in a great way. Squarenix should have bundled some of these with the Steam re-release, course that whole thing was as lazy a cash-in as you can get. They even remodeled the side NPCs to look less popeye.

Seriously though FFVI and FFVII are the high point of FF. (And FFT)

W.T. Fits posted:

Judging by a fair amount of goons' response to FFX-2, how about a prequel to FFX where you get to play as Braska, Auron and Jecht?

Wow, I was going to say that X should just be laid to rest (Not that I don't like it; I totally disagree with the haters, X was fantastic) but... you've sold me on that one. :allears:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 26, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I gess this is becoming a pattern with me but I don't see how these two things are the same. Seifer and Sephiroth don't really have anything in common.

:ssh: They're the villains. Seifer doesn't have much to do with Sephiroth, but Seifer doesn't have much anything. The villains in FFVIII get no explanation whatsoever.

But Seifer has mommy issues and is awkwardly loyal to Edea while being a murderous sociopath, so I think he's like a lovely knockoff of Sephiroth. :colbert:

Defiance Industries posted:

The original PC release had a bug where the FMV where the Weapons first show up crashes your game if you're running at anything more than the smallest resolution (which I guess was what it ran on when it was on PSX). I hope they weren't too lazy to fix that, at least.

I remember when I played the original PC release way back in the day, most of the FMVs were either reversed or upside down. Which was great when you had player models moving in sync with the backgrounds, like after the second reactor bombing when the one tunnel bursts with flames and everybody comes jumping out, instead they come shooting out of nowhere and jump into the fires! :haw: And the whole part with Cloud holding on and falling looked entirely wrong.

Oh, Eidos.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

I'm afraid I'd have to restart the game to get a screencap, because it's only in that one instance, and he's got the correct model in all others. If you want to see it for yourself, it's not far into the game. When Cid first appears in the Garden lobby, you'll see his hi-res model, then the camera angle will change and he'll be a horrific pixel monster.

Are you sure thats not how it was originally?

They do that often in VIII, I think its because they were hitting draw call limits on the polys for the characters, so they'd only be allowed to have X full detailed characters on-screen at once, so they'd bake sprite versions of some characters into the backgrounds, so they don't have to be rendered at all, but are still visible.

Problem being since you have a maximum texture resolution on your backgrounds, a small section of that is going to be way lower resolution than the rendered polygons its replacing.

Watch the opening sequence in Quistis' school room. There's like 8 students in there, but only like 4 are real people with polygons, the other 4 are a blurry mess of pixels. Then when everybody gets up to leave the room, suddenly there's only 4 people, and the other 4 already got up! That's because they couldn't properly animate them without putting in tons more work.

ShineDog posted:

There are plenty out bits in the old games where people are rendered as part of the background aren't there? Doesn't that look really weird with model swap mods? Those are always going to be weird chubby duders

I was afriad of that, but they've also redone the backgrounds too, so its possible they could have fixed those or rendered them at higher resolution or something and baked them in.

So far I honestly haven't noticed much. Playing FFVII with the mods for using battle models and other cleaned up models in the overworld looks fantastic, and mostly still fits in the same style. There are other models for cloud that are based on advent children and such that don't fit in and stick out like a sore thumb, but I disabled those and opted for things more tasteful. But still WAY better than popeye arms.

Even little things that I expected to be wrong are still corrected. Young Tifa and Cloud during the flashback looked great, they had tons more polys than the original version but still animated properly.

So I guess I'll let you know if I run into anything terrible, but so far it looks great. Really great.

That said, this is VII, which has WAY more modding development. I hear VIII has like none and I bet as a result if you modded it, then it'd look all kinds of unbalanced.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 26, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Armor-Piercing posted:

I stopped enjoying IV and V long before the halfway mark (still need to finish VI); IX is probably my least favorite game in the series; I still haven't maintained interest in VII long enough to finish the first disc (though I just bought it on Steam to try again in the near future, so fingers crossed); VIII is one of my favorites, and to date the only one I've played through twice; and I thought Tactics was pretty boring with the exception of Calculators and was relieved when I'd finished it.

This has to be a joke post.

:psyduck:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

The Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Collection launched in Japan yesterday. It has more loading screens than the PS2 version, and cutscenes are still unskippable :wtf::wtf:

Square Enix need to hire some people who know what the gently caress a PC is already.

Maybe we'll get FFX HD Reborn 2.0 ?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Yuna looks fine, though she looks even less Asian now.

Haha holy poo poo they found a way to make him look even more like Meg Ryan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20dK5j8Kjbc

Yeah, Yuna looks fine. She's the same but just more detailed.

But wow, Tidus really does look like Meg Ryan.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Oh God the rumors were true.
If X-3 were to be made, it'd invalidate the previous two games if it follows off from this.

Its Squeenix, we were fools for thinking otherwise :smith:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Barudak posted:

Irvine Kinneas please step on down and claim your prize as "Worst FF Party Memember." It was a tough competition but you've done it by being incompetent at your job, good at hiding it from your superiors, unable to talk to other human beings like a normal person, and withholding critical information from the rest of the squad/family for no reason. I hope you're happy knowing that someone whose only ability was talking to beavers is a better human being than you.

I would almost give him a pass for all of that, except his ONE JOB is to be a sniper, and when they have to do a sniping mission, he loving chickens out and won't do it until Squall loving makes him. Seriously dude :wtc:

I completely echo everything being said about FF8. Its really great if you're like 10-16, and the scenes on their own are actually really cool. It has a pretty cool world and style to its own. But the narrative and plot are a loving mess. I liked it when I was 10-16 and that's why, and now I have a really hard time not hating it, other than nostalgia keeping me going. The story is just so batshit insane, we haven't even begun to touch on how nonsensical everybody acts throughout the game.

The biggest problem though is you just know nothing about Ultemicia/Edea and have no real motivation whatsoever for time compression. So everything is a wash.

I can come up with a plot that kinda makes sense, but the game in no way explains it at all. So if anything the best thing the game has going for it is "ooh its a huge mystery!", that just keeps delaying you and saying "no wait guys it'll be so cool!" with no payoff, like LOST. :rolleyes:

Actually, LOST is a really good comparison to FF8, with time jumps and everything.

My explanation: In a previous lifetime, Squall and Rinoa fall in love, except Squall dies protecting her. Rinoa becomes the sorceress of her time, but without Squall around she becomes lonely and angry and becomes Ultemicia. She attempts to use her sorceress power to bring back Squall by altering time, but when she does so events play out the way they did before, with Squall dying over and over groundhog day / final destination style. To get around this, Ultemicia/Rinoa decides the only way to live with Squall forever is to destroy time itself, aka time compression. poo poo gets crazy from there, as it does when you're playing with time travel, but Rinoa being Ultemecia is the only thing that makes the story remotely satisfying. So the theme is that Squall and Rinoa held on too tight, and they have to kinda be willing to let each other go. (Although not give up on each other either) But then in the end they get to live happily ever after with each other after all? I don't loving know.

Ultimately, when you think about it, FFX is kinda like a rewrite of FF8. They both involve some time travel and memory loss and ultimately hinge on a love story and sacrifice. X kinda revisited the same idea, but nixed the child soldiers PMC concept, swapped sorceresses for Sin, and made a lot more sense.

closeted republican posted:

I'm replaying the Steam version of FFVII thanks to the holiday sale. Are certain parts of the Midgar section, like the gym in Sector 6, as incomprehensible as I think they are? I have no goddamn clue what the gently caress was happening there except for "do squats to get a wig. PS it doesn't matter if you win or not". There was something about a "Big Bro", but I have no clue who that is. Most of the main plot is pretty understandable so far, but it turns into nonsense and misleading information when you talk to anyone that's not directly related to the main plot.

Yeah, I just replayed that part on Steam too and it was more awkward than I remembered. I even knew exactly what you had to do for Miss Cloud :cheeky: but I rushed to Corneo's place and nothing. Went to the dress store, nothing. Went to the bar, nothing. WTF am I missing? Go to Honey Bee Inn, nothing. What. Ends up you gotta go to Honey Bee THEN Corneo's place, and then you get the "okay lets dress you up" dialogue and NOW you can talk to the dress store owner. Whoops.

The Big Bro stuff made sense to me, but I guess its because those wrestling trannies were pretty memorable :haw:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 30, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

This is one of the few fan theories the game's developers have actually commented on. They said that she's not.

Oh I don't give two fucks if its canon or not, like I said even if it was the game doesn't really tell you. But its the only thing that makes it remotely satisfying for me. Otherwise everything is just meaningless chaos.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Man I really wanted to like XIII (Its so pretty :swoon:) and I'd like to see the ending, but I just really can't bring myself to play it anymore. Its just... blagh. I do not care.

The thought of playing through XIII-2 and XIII-3 is daunting. I guess at least XIII-3 changes the combat...

I guess I'll keep leveling in XIV, at least that's pretty cool.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Is it just me, or like... from the very beginning I really hated the arbitrary "fal'Cie" thing and oh yeah crystals now you're an "l'Cie" ... Huh? Oh and hurry up or you'll become a "Cie'th"! Oh and we're "Pulse fal'Cie" don't confuse that with the "Coccoon fal'Cie"! Its like the direct opposite of good plot development, you're just making poo poo up. I have no idea whats going on, and nothing is interesting, it just seems overwhelmingly contrived and arbitrary. I usually love an in media res start, but it doesn't work here at all. Even after you know what it all means, it reads like the most overwrought terrible fanfiction.

Also are those words more comfortable in French or Japanese or something? Because it just seems really awkward to say all the time, I feel like the localization should have changed it. And even the voice actors can't seem to agree on "el cie" or "la cie" or "luh cie"

Just call them "The Masters" and "The Servants" or "Mastigos" and "Servos" or something. I guess I'm nitpicking.

At least as awkward as "SeeD" was, they had a "Seeds in a Garden" theme going on. Metaphor for students growing in an academy, sure... at least that's a thing.

Although I have no idea how localization teams decide when they should rename somebody "John" and when "Goku" is okay.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 30, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly, just from a "this pulls me out of the game" perspective, I'm more bothered by FFXV's goofy-rear end Latin names than I am Fal'cie and L'Cie. The adventures of SWORD FRIENDSHIP and Burning Amazing Knowledge are going to be awful hard to take.

But Latin is the normal go-to for 'cryptic ancient language' stuff. Even Harry Potter does it. That's perfectly comfortable. I guess its just too obvious if you know Latin or even basic Latin roots though, eh?

Like the ole "Oh man I wonder who 'Alucard' is!!" its just too easy?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Grope-A-Matic posted:

I certainly think it works better than a FF8-esque system where enemy strength scales with your level and you never really feel stronger.

I think auto scaling enemies based on your level means your game has gone up its own rear end into an ouroboros of lovely design. Like, somebody came up with RPGs, so somebody later bolted on poo poo, and then somebody else later bolted on auto-leveling as a crutch to fix the fact that it was getting very difficult to balance the whole game consistently for different players.

I think instead they'd be better served by going back and saying "why do we even have levels in the first place?"

I mean if levelling makes me stronger but then makes my enemies stronger you're doing nothing except changing the ratios of the numbers on the screen. Maybe as I level I get slightly more strength than my opponents do as they level, so I feel stronger; why not just subtract the amount that your opponent gets from how much you get? Now you're getting much less per level, but the effect is the exact same! Its all just bullshit.

Man people don't think poo poo through. I really hate autoleveling; Skyrim put limits on it and it was better than Oblivion (where magic was really broken) but there's just so many ways for it to fall apart, and at best it doesn't really DO anything.

Really need to rethink the whole leveling thing. Also fixed leveling is pretty lame too, I really like having job systems at least. Tactics probably had the best system for customizing your characters, although it was also the most complicated. FF kinda settled on the sphere grid/licence board idea for awhile, but that's pretty lame really. Lazy design IMO.

Speaking of final fantasy games, how they've changed mechanically over time,

Why have we never gotten another RPG that plays like Chrono Trigger? Like gently caress, why didn't any of the FFs copy that style? It worked so well.

Like, FFXIII still has that random encounter "break" thing where the screen dissolves to another screen; WHY? That used to happen for technical reasons because most world screens were actually 2d, so they'd make a seperate 3d arena of battle areas. But since FFX we've had fully 3D worlds!

Actually, FFXII at least didn't do the dissolve thing, I liked that. Although FFXII was pretty different too, being sorta based on FFXI, which was an MMORPG.

Also, those combination attacks in CT were brilliant, why didn't they adopt those into FF? Every FF after 6 should have had those. I think I heard one of the remakes on iOS added them or something?

I guess FFXIII WAS their attempt at going back to the drawing board and rethinking the RPG thing. Except... they kept the things they should have changed, and changed the things they should have kept!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

"Ultimecia is Rinoa" is terrible though, it completely invalidates Squall's entire character arc.

I'm curious why you say this. Not that I doubt you have a good reason, I just wanna hear it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mustach posted:

Their relationship is only possible because Squall grows to express and accept love, despite knowing that all relationships end in one way or another. "Ultimecia is Rinoa" is predicated on Rinoa learning the opposite lesson at some point after the game, and wanting to merge all time together so that they can be together forever. On it's own, not a bad dichotomy, but since going after Rinoa is the crowning moment of his growth, the moral would be completely annihilated if she opposed that growth.

"Gogo is Adlai Stevenson" was a better fake theory

But the whole point is TIME TRAVEL. Are you missing that? That's kinda huge. So you can have like alternate futures.

The timeline in which Rinoa becomes Ultemecia in my mind is predicated on Squall dying and leaving her alone, and her desire to be with him is why she wants to compress time.

Him being allowed to grow with her is what keeps them from repeating it. So his growth matters.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

I always liked the Squall Is Dead theory. And by "liked" I mean I think it's hilarious that nerds wanting to like this game so bad that they concoct the only way for it to make sense - that Squall is having a near-death experience after getting stabbed on the parade float - is a thing that is real.

In my version of the story Squall died before the game ever started, and then we're joining the story after way in the future Ultemecia is going back, and this is the second time through; so there's no need for him to die in some part of the game where it isn't clear that he died. That near-death experience would be more like a flashback then him actually dying there, maybe him kinda remembering that he died in another time. It fits okay. Its just the game doesn't say it ever. FF7 had all kinds of poo poo happen central to the plot before the game started, so its not hard to imagine.

BlitzBlast posted:

The entire point of FFVIII was Squall learning that it's okay to trust other people. Rinoa is a big part of this because love is one of the ultimate forms of trust. If Rinoa becomes Ultimecia out of grief when Squall dies, that means early-game Squall's belief that "growing closer to other people will only hurt you, so don't do it" was correct, and he should have never grown as a person.

Rinoa as Ultimecia is seriously the worst plot twist ever for a game about growing up.

Yeah, that's where the tone gets really muddy. I think there's still something in there, its not as simple as love is good hate is bad or anything, but something about accepting people as they are and trusting them and letting them go, something about towards the end after they get back from Space, Rinoa leaves and Squall just kinda lets her, but then he goes after her... something about trusting people and loving them but not holding on too tight so you smother them...

IDK the story's hosed, I'm just trying to salvage a sinking ship :cheeky:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 9, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Barudak posted:

I actually took Squall's existence in the same time period as Rinoa to be some effect of Time Kompression; two people who in the original order of events wouldn't have met and probably been separated by decades if not hundreds of years but instead have begun to overlap.

That goes even more to what I was saying about FFX being a remake of FF8's story, only replacing time travel with dream reality so everything makes more sense.

Barudak posted:

That FFVIII is not that game is a slight dissapointment. That its a game where a race of sentient slug/lady deathstrike hybrid people evolve into adorable non-intelligible cat people is totally rad.

Well put.

That said, I don't see why people are so against fan theories, as long as you just get over yourself. Its not about "here's my theory that is a super secret thing the director came up with that I was smart enough to notice and you guys are all idiots", its just "hey that was a cool story, I really like imagining that..."

I really like movies that leave plot points ambiguous, for that very reason. Choose your own interpretation.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 9, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shaezerus posted:

All I want out of a potential FF8-2 is a Time Kompression scene out of nowhere that fixes itself as abruptly as it started, with no foreshadowing whatsoever and is never mentioned again for the entire rest of the game.

Just ten minutes of reality having a complete meltdown, then snapping back to 100% normality with little more than "Well, that happened."

End of Evangelion is already a thing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tempo 119 posted:

Someone already suggested my ideal FF8-2 a few weeks ago, the one where the battle/card systems have been swapped around and the love story is between Squall and Seifer but everything else is the same.

Edit: maybe also include the amazing theory I read somewhere that says Quistis might really be a malfunctioning robot because she doesn't understand what to do with emotions, plus all of her limit breaks involve integrating machine parts into her body and/or shooting things out of her face.

Well that's one way to explain why an apparent 20 year old is teaching 19 year olds.

ozza posted:

I submit that the plot of FFVIII-2 be identical to FFVIII, with the only difference being the focus is now on the relationship between Zell and hotdogs. The logo is Zell cradling a box of hotdogs. Also Ultimecia's castle is replaced by a hover board factory.

I'm dying over here. :haw:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Davoren posted:

Anyone have any experience installing mods for VII on the Steam version? I'm trying to use this: http://www.moddb.com/mods/final-fantasy-vii-ultrahd-fan-made-remake and it seems to mostly be working, but the text is wrapping outside of the dialogue boxes, preventing the full messages from being read.

Delete all that poo poo and do this instead

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=13212.0

You're welcome

Trust me this works flawlessly with Steam and looks great. And you can tweak which mods you want from a huge list just by clicking them on and off.

Note: If you do this, you'll "disconnect" your FF7 install from steam. You can play it offline, but you won't get any achievements, can't use the hack tool for massive stats (not that you need it), and configuring and installing the mods actually takes a good amount of time, we're talking at least 5 minutes of letting your computer run there.

That said, once you've got the mods all configured how you want, you can put a shortcut on your desktop and just boot right into the game. It only has to do the installation when you change the mods.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Davoren posted:

Cool, thanks!

No problem! I personally find it to look too weird to have like Cloud and Barrett be really high poly and everybody else be blocky, so I turned almost all the mods off and then enabled a few manually.

But the mods for textures & battle screens are amazing, higher resolution backgrounds and movies are great.

And rather than use some weird advent children model, I just use the battle screen models for both the battle screen and the overworld, the way FFVIII did. FFVII had those weird popeye lego models, its pretty hard to watch nowadays. But the battle screen models work fantastic.

Do whatever you want though, that's the great part of that loader. You can get whatever mods you want off the net and then toss em in there.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FFX HD Soundtrack, I'm glad they didn't change otherworld too much, sounds great :black101:

Battle theme I dunno about though, the trumpets are kinda cool but the song doesn't come together as much, feels all over the place. Its cool but I think it'll get old.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sunning posted:

Speaking of promotional videos, here is the North American equivalent that uses placeholder footage for what would be FFXI. I don't think it's a test build so much as it was a proof of concept that was hobbled together for this promotion. In addition to the hammy acting, you can see that it used footage from FFVIII and FFIX, such as pre-rendered backgrounds, world maps, and CGI cutscenes. I don't think Sirius Caves is an actual place in FFXI.

XI didn't have any pre-rendered backgrounds at all, so those were definitely all taken from other games and mocked. Nah, Sirius Caves is not in Vana'diel.

Oh god the 90s, I love that video so much. They like call up the dude half way across the planet and they're like "dude get on we need you" and he's like "okay, gently caress those guys I was hanging out with, I need to get online NOW"! Plus why even bother with a massively multiplayer game if you only play with the same 2 buddies. Just go play co-op.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

I think it was the fire emblem devs who talked about this in an interview. They tried more detailed legs and arms and found they look terrible when animated in 3D due to the resolution. The pig feet just look a lot better aesthetics wise.

Ugh but they really don't. What's wrong with Fox's feet from Smash Bros 64? Those things were like 3 polys, but they still worked as feet. And the 64 rendered at poo poo x rear end resolution.

Looks about a million times better than pig feet. :colbert:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I think Cure 3 sounds funnier when characters say it, but I don't actually understand why spell names have to be something the characters say or what the characters call them. You don't need Rydia to say "Fire!!!" when she melts the ice and gets over her fear in FF4, you can have her say some poo poo about invoking the flame or some gibberish magic words and then just the textbox "Rydia learned Fire!" that is meant to communicate with the player.

Spell names are for the person playing the game, not the characters. They don't have to be a reflection of any lore concept, and in many RPGs characters never say them aloud anyway. In D&D "Magic Missile" is just a spell that summons small bolts of magical energy. Your wizard can call it whatever he wants, or shoot magic missiles of any color he wants, and even if it has a verbal component to cast it can be a bunch of "bibiddy babaddy boo" poo poo or a lost word in Draconic or whatever and not him shouting "MAGIC MISSILE". A scroll of Magic Missile does not just say MAGIC MISSILE at the top. Yet some people don't seem to understand that even in D&D.

The weird thing with D&D is a few random spells do have names, like "Tenser's floating disc" or "Otiluke's icy sphere" so I can see where you'd get confused.

But yeah, Bolt 2 is just convenience for the player; I don't think a blackmage says "Bolt 2!" literally every time. I'm fine with Boltaga too though so whatever. (or Litaga or whatever they're calling it these days)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

It's Thundara. :v:

The basic spells are Fire, Thunder, Blizzard.

Al Baron posted:

3D rendered towns on the world map, apparently.

Also holy crap a main quest helper. Hope you can turn that off.

HOLY poo poo, Is square using loving RPG maker now? Like, what the gently caress. That is so loving ugly. :barf:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 16, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Black August posted:

It literally, and I use that word exactly as it's meant, looks like they opened photoshop and cut-pasted a bunch of poo poo from four different games together.

I know Square and Japan doesn't give a poo poo about FF6, but this is the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen out of a supposedly top-tier company. All The Bravest seemed more together than this.

It really does. Heck, its even worse than that, because they applied blur filters to half of them before dumping them together.

:wtc: How can they mess up THAT badly? I don't get it. High schoolers would probably feel bad about making that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Starhawk64 posted:

FF8 is such a stupid game gameplay and story wise. Stealing magic from enemies and then junctioning them to your stats? Having to scavenge random crap to upgrade weapons? Enemies leveling up with you and making grinding pointless? A retarded card game? HAVING TO TAKE A TEST TO INCREASE THE AMOUNT OF MONEY YOU EARN? What the gently caress where the developers smoking when they made this game? It wasn't the usual stuff that's for sure. So glad FF9 went back to actually being a Final Fantasy because FF8 sure as hell isn't. There's nothing wrong with changing gameplay mechanics up a bit but when you change too much you run the risk of alienating long-time fans.

And that's just the gameplay issues I have with this game. Don't even get me started on the story, because it's all kinds of messed up.

Also gunblades are retarded weapons

You posted the same in the other thread and I'm going to respond the same

It all makes sense coming off the running success that was 7.

How can we make materia even bigger? Junctioning.

Gold saucer was really cool? Better add a huge minigame that you can play throughout the whole game, instead of just one place.

Having enemies like dogs and slimes drop gil makes no sense? Now you get paid by your employer instead. (Earthbound did the same thing pretty much)

People played 7 to death and ran around collecting all the side materia and loved the optional bosses? Better add a ton of side quest crafting items!

Leveling with you is dumb, but its a crutch that TONS of RPGs use, because actually balancing an epic RPG on this scale is loving ridiculously hard. It is a crutch though, no doubt.

The implementation wasn't perfect, but you can hardly fault them for trying. It all makes perfect logical sense.

And if you were 18 you'd think gunblades were really neato.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sunning posted:

These games were made to target the mobile audience which is comprised of many people who have never played the games before. If you have read the reviews for these remakes, then you'll see that they review well with 4+/5 star aggregate reviews. More importantly, SE is probably happy that these games perform well on paid charts.

Counterpoint: VI is one of the greatest RPGs ever made. Even a lovely port would be amazing if you've never played it before. That doesn't make it any less lovely compared to the SNES release.

Worse art does not make a game more approachable. Other things, like having hints, may. But its more the garish mix of different resolutions and filters that is killing me, not so much the hints. Especially if you can turn those off. That makes sense for new players. Butchering the art style does not.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

dreffen posted:

Screw that! Gunblades are great and here's why:

Gun-fist weapons! Gun-weapon everything. FFXIV did exactly what was needed with the whole gunblade thing, and that is make it more god drat ridiculous.

Like Monster Hunter's (illogical) Bow-guns?

The logical next step is gun-guns.

actually that would probably fit in FF just fine...

As much as it may sound like I'm disagreeing with you... I actually really love gun-everything in FFXIV.

I just wish we players could use gun-things too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

:stare:

Why haven't I picked up FFXIV, again? (other than being sad that you can't have Carbuncles at endgame)

It is seriously the best FF in years.

Its an MMO though, so... that's enough reason not to. But if that's your thing, its awesome.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

My GOAT is Chrono Trigger, which they didn't touch visually on DS or iOS but they did add lovely menus on the iOS version. The DS version I also feel looks best on the small DS screen.

Someone on Facebook accused me of just being nostalgic but I actually like what Square Enix did with the visuals for FFIII and FFIV. I would have been fine with that for FFVI. But not this... thing.

DS CT rules because they moved everything to the bottom of the screen except the sprites which take up the full top, and they didn't change ANYTHING else. Its perfect.

The playstation version with Akira Toryiama anime scenes was cool too though.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/chrono-trigger/id479431697?mt=8

You are better off buying $10 worth of pennies and trying to choke on them but go hog wild

How does this?

Improve in on any way on this?

uggh! :argh:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 16, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Renoistic posted:

I enjoyed the animated cutscenes in the PSX version of Chrono Trigger as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkWK-NEtmHk

I would watch a whole Chrono Ball Z show.

Kyrosiris posted:

Nah, assuming that it doesn't have nausiatingly long rep grinds that are nigh-mandatory for raiding like Rift:SL (and ostensibly WoW:MoP, but I quit WoW circa early Cataclysm) did, I'm definitely down for a good MMO.

Its the most casual and approachable and good times MMO I've ever played, honestly.

It does slow down a bit towards max level though.

Best translation of any FF ever, holy poo poo. Inside jokes and western culture everywhere.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Now I just need to get over not being able to have Carbuncles at end-game. :v:

Eh, as long as you're not raiding you can. A huge part of FFXIV is just running around the overworld doing FATEs, (huge ad-hoc group events) so you can totally have Carbuncle around for those! :) You could kill Odin with carbuncle.

You don't HAVE to have a job, by the way. You're free to drop Scholar or Summoner and go back to being a Conjurer at max leve, and you'll still be max level. Then you can pop on Summoner when you want Ifrit back. Your level is tied to your class, and jobs are just equipment that gives you a set of buffs and removes some freedom that you can take off at any time.

So yeah, other than raiding that's not true. I guess "endgame" means raiding, though?

Even for raiding actually you coooould, but it would probably be bad and you'd get yelled at. But maybe not? Who knows, play with goons, we'll find a way. :thumbsup:

Midee posted:

jesus christ they have a shader for everything :stare:

I would rather play that then the iOS version :smith:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 16, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Barudak posted:

I think you might very well wipe on Seymour 1 but you can still beat Yunalesca doing this it just takes a little set up.

Eh, if you take the time to set up overdrives for all your characters and take full advantage of your aeons, it ain't too tough.

Oh, you said no grinding, I guess setting up overdrives counts as grinding...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sunning posted:

I bet they won't splice the tiling for this game like they did for that meteor in FFV iOS!

Oh...

There are a lot of graphical artifacts in this port, such as the copy & paste seams on the Magitek armor you use in the beginning.

Thats it, they weren't even trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Are we still doing shortened stories?

Final Fantasy Tactics - The Lannisters and the Starks are at war, some prince and his peasant friend fail to stop some political turmoil, and then his friend kidnaps a princess, but then they change their minds and kill the dudes he was working for. They kill one king and implicate another, the peasant marries the girl they kidnapped and becomes the king. Except she hates him and they pull a last minute reverse Romeo & Juliet and stab each other to death. Also the pope is Satan. The peasant gets all the credit and the prince is a heretic.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - Some stupid kids read a book and talk about videogames.

:cheeky: