Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Failboattootoot posted:

Caius voice acting is good

:barf:

I sort of forgive X for all the terrible VA moments because it was their first crack at it, but yeah very few hits and a lot of misses for SE. Balthier is a fuckin' boss though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I had a weird moment while watching Burn Notice when Balthier's VA appeared playing an IRA terrorist.

Not-FF, but the first time I watched Best in Show after playing MGS3 I had a total :aaaaa: moment. "These are all champion dogs, and this is a sneaking mission, Snake."

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I don't think you can make every character, story, setting, piece of music, and insane CG cutscenes into DLC. I mean at that point it's an episodic game. The gameplay should get an update though and would be super good.

Oh wait, you could make Hot and Cold DLC! THE FIENDS!

I would straight up buy a Hot and Cold handheld or phone game, it's the best :colbert:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

It'd be a system-mover.

Barudak posted:

It would do terrrrrrrribly.
I love this thread.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

VIII is not without its redeeming qualities. I re-played most of it about a year ago and found several things to enjoy. I stopped a ways into Disk 3 but that was less FFVIII's problem and more my own for just getting randomly distracted and dropping stuff.

I still think Seifer was a legitimately good character and while everyone can say the game should have been about Laguna, Kiros and Ward, I'd rather have Seifer, Raijin and Fujin.

Seifer, ALL CAPS, and ya know? Really? I'll give you Seifer, he is a rather interesting antagonist, but the other two are generic hench-people.

Also I always think of Squall as Robert now :colbert:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

I think he pulls it off.

:vince:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

I'm pretty sure every video game from here on out will have DLC within a week of launch for increased :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: .

Also, sorry about your Blitzball nightmare, MrA. I've been scouring this thread's last 80 or so pages for FFX pointers so I don't mess anything up before I start HD.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

morallyobjected posted:

I'm no expert in video game production, but I feel like before the age of DLC, there just would have been nothing at all. They would have said "These are the songs", and that's all you would have gotten, as opposed to now, when they can make new things to add to it after that point while testing and everything is going on. Would it honestly make you feel better about it if they just arbitrarily waited like two months and released something that was already done after final production on the printed game had stopped but before it actually shipped, just because you hate week 1 DLC?

It depends. If the DLC is literally just bonus content like extra songs or costumes or whatever then I'm fine with it. But games like XIII-2 that make you pay extra for crucial scenarios that are relevant to the plot (and the sequel it seems) just feels like bad development, or a cash grab, or both.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Attitude Indicator posted:

Is anyone here capable of just playing through a game and enjoying it? People study less for their exams than what you people do for FFX.

I did that when it was first released twelve years ago. I meandered through games because I was in school and had a ton of time to do so. Now I want to get everything and not gently caress around with multiple playthroughs, so I read a little here and there to gather info before I play something. Also I hate missables. I blame the Zodiac Spear. :argh:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Volt Catfish posted:

You know, I think Final Fantasy X is the most memorable Final Fantasy game to me. I'm going to blame the sheer amount of dumb "challenges" the game has. I think there's one where you're not allowed to use anything but items and Use ever? poo poo's nuts.

I just started playing X HD and I have to agree it's pretty memorable, but for a different reason. I hadn't played it in years and I've only hit Mushroom Rock but there's already a bunch of NPCs that I instantly remember. Can't say the same for XII or XIII. I know Tidus's VA is pretty goofy sometimes but a lot of the other VAs are pretty good for 2001, I think it helps making their characters stand out.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The way FFX handles combat animations is one of my favorite things. The hits are so satisfying. Even stuff like Tidus' first overdrive, where he flips and the sword hits and OVERKILL pops up.

I pretty much finish every battle with Auron. "Farewell." *WHACK* Definitely satisfying.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Deathstrike Rikku is great too. She goes up to someone, does a little spin and says WHOOPS and they burst into a bunch of pyreflies.

Can't wait til I get to the Calm Lands, Deathstrike+Capture+Mug :swoon:

ApplesandOranges posted:

The best one is when you start the party with Yuna/Lulu/Wakka and Yuna does an impression of 'Lots of fiends around here, ya?' and Lulu goes, 'Stop that.'

It seems to be pretty rare and stops appearing after a certain point, which is sad because it is gold.

I am doing this immediately.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

fronz posted:

Nah, I know about those. I'm thinking, like, the treasure chests in Besaid you get to by going to some random nearby coordinates.

I dunno how you're supposed to find all of them without a guide but based on a pretty good FAQ I'm using:

Passwords:
GODHAND
MURASAME
VICTORIOUS

Coordinates:
x:12-14 y:58-61 (Baaj Temple)
x:40-42 y:57-59 (Battle Site)
x:30-32 y:73-76 (Besaid Falls)
x:34-36 y:56-58 (Mi'ihen Ruins)
x:71-73 y:35-36 (Omega Ruins)
x:13-15 y:42-44 (Sanubia Sands)

Bregor
May 31, 2013

cams posted:

Has the "Rinoa IS Ultimecia" theory ever been disproven by anyone at Square who worked on it? It always struck me as too perfect to not be true. Really, it's one of those things that even if they all came out and said it wasn't true, I'd still believe it cause it's a fantastic lens with which to see the story of Final Fantasy VIII.

When it comes to fan theories, Squall is dead > Rinoa is Ultimecia :colbert:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Barudak posted:

Of course, without irony, I would play a FFVIII-2 where you hunt down Hyne.

If you could convince Squeenix that Hyne is Caius, and have Lightning team up with Squall, they might do it! :v:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

He did kill Jihl though so I love him for that. Jihl's death is probably a huge flaw in XIII's storytelling but at the same time I adore it. She was so lovely that she just kinda dies with no fanfare or fight or anything. A worthless death for a worthless character.

When I played through the game the first time, that part was a huge letdown. I was just so ready for a real villain that Jihl's death seemed like a lovely bait-and-switch. Then Bart reveals himself and I was like, "Oh I get it." I liked Bart for the most part so after that losing Jihl didn't bug me.

I still feel like Jihl is a massive wasted opportunity though (like pretty much everything else in XIII's story).

Bregor
May 31, 2013

delirious pancake posted:

I bought a used copy of XIII a while back and it doesn't work (just sits in the PS3 and spins and makes a thumping noise :( ). I have a copy of XIII-2 that does work, though. Keeping in mind that I don't care about the story, is it a bad idea to play the sequel first or could I just brush up on the plot of the original and skip right to the sequel?

The best thing you can do is snap the disc in half and gouge your eyes out before you see Caius's design.

(Actually the battle system is pretty awesome and the terrible story doesn't hurt too much. Also there's a XIII LP going on right now that's pretty objective and skips a lot of the slog.)

Bregor
May 31, 2013

BottledBodhisvata posted:

For all the...tonal issues of FFX-2, I have to say how incredibly impressed I am by the gameplay devotion this game demonstrates.

If you compared FFX-2 to FFXIII-2, it's like night and day. Both are sort of "remixes" of the preceding game, featuring reused environments and assets. 13-2 has more original areas, but cheapens it by reusing THEM over and over. X-2 has almost no new areas (and the ones they do add are like...the MOST generic "dungeon" mazes, brown stone and torches and ew). But X-2 adds in a robust job system, a battle system that may very well be the best the series has produced, a non-linear exploration model of gameplay, with almost every explorable area featuring some sort of event or challenge per chapter...it's kind of a pity that there's a constant stream of sort of bland minigames, because fighting in this game is such a dream.

FF13-2, on the other hand, does very little to enhance the battle system, retaining the exact same model of its predecessor and adding in a monster-raising sim (which X-2 also did) that doesn't really add all that much, it has five explorable areas and a plot that is somehow even MORE incomprehensible and stupid than X-2's. X-2 is kind of a weird squeaky Charlie's Angels via Japan kind of affair, but at least it has actual characters. Serah has no personality, Noel never changes at all, and Caius has got to be the absolute worst villain in the entire series.

I really really want a new FF game to use X-2's job system.

This is spot on. I find it really refreshing when people here agree with me on XIII-2, and Caius in particular. Another forum I post on really liked him. :shrug:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Probably been asked but when does 4JF start this year? Is there a thread for it already?

In addition to the other replies, there's a thread about it in the LP section: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3629952

Bregor
May 31, 2013

a shameful boehner posted:

I'm playing through Final Fantasy X (for the first time ever) on the HD remaster and all i can think for the first few hours of this game is

shut up Wakka shut up SHUT UP

e: okay now i feel a little bad

Heeeey, easy dere brudder, YA?

I'm pretty much done with the main story but Tidus and Wakka still won't shut the gently caress up during battle. Using Tidus to Flee while capturing 10 of every monster is especially terrible and I've pretty much benched him for Kimahri.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Now you must list every line dumber than that line in 13. Go.

[quotes every single line Snow says]

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Oh if we're opening it up to XIII-2, then "Moms are tough" isn't even in the same league... :downsgun:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Captain Mog posted:

Because the Vita has like two good games and I'm salty about having spent over $300 on one just to have it collect dust. I'm not alone and I'll freely admit this is what it boils down to. Also the PSP saw Dissidia and Crisis Core which were awesome as hell.

The only reason I got a Vita was because I never got a PSP and wanted to play FFT:WotL and TO:LUCT. I would assume anyone who had a PSP had very few reasons to get a Vita.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Peel posted:

I enjoyed the characters of XIII, and the battle system when they let it work. Maybe rent it or pick it up cheap and see if it clicks or not.

Agree. Post-Bart bosses, Chapter 11, and the Cie'th missions are worth at least a cursory playthrough.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Don't really see the criticism of the XIII games being too easy. All FFs are pretty easy if you just stick to the required areas and bosses, it's one of the reasons why superbosses and challenge runs are so prevalent. Besides there's plenty of other things to dislike about the XIII's.

It's not my favorite FF but I did enjoy XIII. But then again I'm one of those weirdos who likes Lightning and Hope. Just pretend the first eight chapters are one big Kojima cutscene or something. XIII-2 was much worse IMO, everything from the way they handled time travel to the Caius-Noel-Yuel threesome seemed forced and terrible. A family member got me LR but I haven't had the stomach for it yet (and also I'm trying to plat X/X-2 HD).

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Also is ffxi still going?? :psyduck:

I stopped playing five years ago, but I still post on an XI forum with some old friends, mostly to talk about hockey. When XI talk leaks into other threads, I'm always stunned it continues to be fun for them. As soon as they announced raising the level cap from 75 to 99, that just about did it for me. If they were going to try WOW-like things, I might as well just play WOW. Which I did for about eight months before deciding MMOs probably weren't my bag anymore.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

ozza posted:

It's like if they had made Yuffie the lead in FFVII.

Cid and Yuffie buddy cop movie game

Bregor
May 31, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

If he's already capturing monsters, the guy might as well just grind on King Cactuar/Don Tonberry. They're both fairly low-risk and give gigantic payouts. It's been over a decade, though, so I'm afraid I can't help in terms of what kinds of items you need to forge Overdrive -> AP.

Another forum I read suggested farming Triple AP weapons from One-Eye, then mod Overdrive->AP and Triple Overdrive onto them.

That (and Don Tonberry trick for that matter) is probably overkill (no pun intended) since he's playing the original version and doesn't need to complete the Sphere Grid for all seven characters for that stupid trophy :argh:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Getting Platinum on both X and X-2 seems like such a chore, I don't think I can do them back-to-back. I'm pretty close on X now, so I'll just stop there for the time being. Also I've never played V and with the FJF going on I think I'll give that a try before X-2.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

ozza posted:

Speaking of enemy sprites in early Final Fantasy games, was anyone else always extremely weirded out whenever a human enemy appeared and was perfectly proportioned and like three times the size of your characters? It made your deformed little anime heroes look like bizarre goblins.

I kind of just wrote it off as not being able to show your 4-5 dudes in battle in full detail. Like in VI, where in the field and as a "party member" Kefka looks like:

but as an enemy in full detail he's:

Not like he suddenly grew four times bigger, just a drawback of the 16-bit system. It didn't really bother me at all.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Levantine posted:

Final Fantasy hasn't been anything approaching "good" without caveats since the single digits, and even then I'm not sure it's not just nostalgia that makes me think so.

I, IV, V, VI, VII, IX, and X are all legit good games with very few caveats. The rest are less so but still range from solid to meh. VII EU, XII, the XIII's, and XIV 1.0 really left a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths and I think the company is still struggling to climb out of that hole.

Levantine posted:

I don't know, Tidus as a character gets brought up a lot. "This game is good but gently caress Tidus" is probably the most common criticism. Though I agree overall its criticized less these days.

After playing X HD, there are a lot fewer cutscenes where Tidus does something terrible than I remember from the PS2 days. This time around I found Wakka to be the most derpy character. Once Tidus figures out what's going on, he's actually a decent character.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

AngryRobotsInc posted:

My PS3 pretty much just bit the dust. And in the process of trying to figure out what the hell was wrong before it finally just said gently caress it, it ate my saves and trophies. Including the FFX HD one where I was working on getting Perfect Sphere Master.

I....I don't think I can do it again when I eventually get it fixed.

Oh God... I'm so sorry...

I always sign into PSN just in case I get some maddeningly hard/stupid trophy like lightning dodging or chocobo races or whatever.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

BloodWulfe posted:

FFVII Fan Translation posted: posted:

ピッツァ2000 PTZ2000 [Shin-Ra car tyres] Pizza 2000
クェ Wark "[From the Chocoball jingle.]" Kweh
小さな姉弟がいた家 Nibelheim House Lit. Niblheim, the house where the little siblings were Young Siblings' Home
]ハチマキ Headband [Japanese Headband/Bandana] Hachimaki
203ミリ砲弾 8inch Cannon 203mm Shells
ラストエリクサー Megalixir Last Elixir
フェニックスの尾 Phoenix Down Phoenix Tail
神羅の最新潜水監 Shinra Sub Newest Shin-Ra Submarine "State-of-the-Art Shin-Ra Submarine"
クライムハザード Climhazzard "[Possibly Climb Hazard. Luksy says Crime is more likely from a Japanese point of view]" Crime Hazard
水面蹴り Waterkick "[A pro wrestling move]" Surface Sweep
キマイラ Harpy "[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera_%28mythology%29]" Chimera
モルボル Malboro "[Possibly from ""morimori""]" Morbor
木の葉乱舞 Autumn Leaves "Lit. Tree Leaves' Boisterous Dance" Wild Dance of the Leaves
地下水 Sewer Groundwater
水攻め Waterball Inundation
チョコボ&モーグリ Choco/Mog Chocobo & Moguri
チョコボックル Chocobuckle "[Mix of word Chocobo and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koro-pok-guru]" Chocobokkuru
デブチョコボ Fat Chocobo [Light-hearted word for fat] Chubby Chocobo

This guy sounds like a delightful person and not at all insufferable.

:negative:

Sounds like the worst, spregy-est type of VII fan. Also the change from fat to chubby chocobo probably tells you all you need to know about his physical fitness.

kirbysuperstar posted:

FF8's translation is serviceable. There's few errors, but it's just kinda bland in places.

Hot dogs.

♫ TRAINS ♫

Also I kinda like the -ra/-ga/-ja naming convention. :ohdear:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Rirse posted:

All characters replaced by NORG!

NORG is Ultimecia.

Here is my 39-point thesis on why N=U, focusing on moombas (which are now munba-san in my translation)...

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

I want to see some bold casting decisions in FFXV. Let's get Gilbert Gottfried as Noctis.

Steven Wright :v:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Ragequit posted:

Well let's go for gold and have a woman president too.

Want a bumper sticker that says, "I'M READY FOR FF XV"

Bregor
May 31, 2013

When FF13VS was announced, I hadn't joined Facebook yet, and Twitter launched two months later.

When FF13VS was announced, there were only three US ports of FFIV and The After Years was not a thing.

Oh yeah and since FF13VS was announced, I got married and made a human being.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Sagnid posted:

I made that mistake on the timed spawn in North Gustaberg many times. Oh its just another worm, I will two shot it. Stupid named worms.

Final Fantasy Megathread: Stupid named worms.

Kinda mad that I spent five years playing XI and tried XIV 1.0, and now that I have no time for MMOs, ARR seems like it's kinda awesome.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

It wasn't so bad in XII. How did we go from Ashe, Balthier and Basch to Words(Snow), Words(Fang) and French Word(Vanille)?

I also keep wanting to spell it "Feng" but that's because I got her confused with the dude from Tekken 5. Also Fang was the least memorable part of the whole party.

Fang is awesome. :colbert: There's only six playable characters and they're all memorable, so I'm not sure what you mean. Fang earns bonus points for the Snow-punching, and she's really useful in battle. Her schtick with Vanille is kinda boring, but most of the story is boring so whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

What, you don't like Basch fon Ronsenburg, Ffamran mied Bunansa, Vossler York Azelas and Zargabaath?

Zargabaath. Zargabaaaaath. Gotta roll the a.

I played XI so I always thought that name was Xarcabard. Then I remember it took me four years to get Valor Surcoat and I start crying. :smith: