Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is it worth watching Kingsglaive before starting XV? I've alternately been told that it explains tons of things the game doesn't bother with, and that it spoils story you'd normally get in-game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmmkay, thanks!

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

This is getting excessively granular, but does either XV or Brotherhood ever establish what the two sides went to war over? It always bugs me when a story just starts with "Angry superpowers hate each other, go".

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

That's honestly a pretty decent reason.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I just started XV, and are hard progression points obviously marked? I wanna make sure to see and do everything, but I don't want to just wander around doing main story content if it'll suddenly throw me forward and terminate side stuff without warning.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Okay awesome, thanks! This is the last newbie thing, but while wandering around Cid's store I kept seeing subtitles with Prompto or Ignis going "Oh hey, check this out!" or whatever, but no accompanying audio; are those just text-only flavor pieces?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

esperterra posted:

If you go over to them you'll find a point of interest, usually just flavour stuff. Helps the road trip vibe.

Is this stuff I can pick up on my own? Because I was finding tons of interactables they commented on in the same place, but I couldn't figure out if that's where their comments were coming from.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

esperterra posted:

Nah, usually just stuff to look at. If you go to find whichever bro said 'hey come look at this' after they say it, they'll usually be standing next to something you can observe and may make another comment on it.

e: if you mean are they points of interest that would be there without one of them commenting on it, then yah typically

Okay gotcha, that makes sense; I was worried I was missing out by not responding specifically to those cues.

Also, holy cow what a great game. I really wish it had the option to make the HUD contextual. I turned off everything but the HP bars and weapon puppeteer on the bottom, but it'd be really rad if they'd added a way to make that only come up while fighting.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm sure this has been discussed to death, but as someone who just started XV the way that Noctis and his buddies dress like final fantasy characters while all the NPCs dress in modern street clothes both freaks me out and cracks me the heck up, because it makes you and your friends look like the biggest douchebags in the world.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I just finished an early XV quest where some sleazy reporter guy asked us to steal a garnet from a bird. The game is saying I won't be able to return for a while once I hop on board the ferry, but I'm only level 10 and there are tons of unfinished hunts from level 15-28; should I just ignore 'em and come back much later on to polish them off, or is it worth grinding here?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Okay awesome, thanks!

And man, those guys sure look weird running around the beach in heavy clothes. Someone should suggest that they lose the jackets.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Cindy: So, why does your friend constantly jump up in down in front of anyone he wants to talk to, or anything he wants to pick up?
Gladio: Shhh, it's a congenital thing; the royal family doesn't like to talk about it.

Also, I only just started chapter 3 and holy freaking crap, the imperial legion is already verging on the most explicit anti-fun feature I've encountered in a final fantasy game.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Yeah, that's what I usually do, I just had particularly bad RNG right before I took a break; I was out at night trying to scoop up the two flan hunts in one evening, I spent basically the entire run between them running through iron giant, imperial dropship, iron giant, dropship, then when I finally finished up and got to daybreak, one dropship spawned near the car and prevented me from getting in, then I finished killing them, hopped in the car, drove 200 metres, and a second dropship spawned in front of us and forced everyone out. >_<

It's not unmanageable by any means, but I almost wish they'd done away with the entire invasion plot, and just given us literal final monster hunter fantasy.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Man, I feel so bad for my poor boy band. I wanted to milk all the value i could out of exp, so I had them do most of the sidequests in chapters 2-3 in one go. They couldn't sleep for eight days, they were disgusting and miserable by day 3, and I had to be kind of creative to finish some level 25-30 content with a level 16 party, but going to the 2x exp hotel and watching everyone jump past 30 in one night was pretty darn satisfying.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

esperterra posted:

The Nixperience ring is really handy for farming XP. Equip it so you keep banking dat poo poo, get Ignis to feed you some XP boosting food, use some XP boosting magic and enjoy.

Ooh yeah, that thing went on Noctis the instant I noticed it and never went away. I'm going to keep pounding XP food down their throats on the many, many camping trips they get to go on as reward for putting up with my BS, but unless the difficulty curve gets weird later on, I'm guessing that I'm grotesquely over-levelled enough now to remain comfortably ahead of the curve for a while. ^^

Incidentally, I now find myself sitting on a ton of AP. Everyone already has two accessory slots, Noctis got all his phase and warp/backstab stuff, and I unlocked all of the cheap HP/vitality/strength stat boosts. Should I just start shoveling points into the team's link skills and techniques?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Ah crud, that may be why I've been finding my party kind of underwhelming then; given, I've been playing a weird gimped setup for a while, but my go-to strategy since forever has been for noctis to do his nightcrawler thing to build TP, then when he gets surrounded I use Gladio's starting technique as a crowd-clearing thingie.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Gologle posted:

You could have staved off the sidequests for chapter 3/4. There's no real reason to do them prior to that because the world opens up for a bit (until chapter 9).

EDIT: Also remember that Ignis is the best in literally anything he does, and you should get all his techniques and eat all his food and switch to him when possible. Ignis love! Ignis life! Yay Iggy!

Ignis automatically gets a heck of a lot of credit from me for 1) driving the car, 2) cooking us food, 3) wearing a shirt, and 4) not dying every single time something looks at him funny. (He's growing on me, but freaking hell Pronto- during my goofy underlevelled run through 2/3, Noctis/Ignis/Gladio/Pronto's HP were something like 900, 700, 1200, 200, and it made me giggle every single time we picked a fight with something big and scary and Pronto immediately got laid out and started yelling for a potion.)

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

In XV I just got met up with Iris and went on a long date that mostly involved her struggling to path around town, and got like a zillion sidequests exploded all over me by the townspeople; is this a good time to take a break from progression and puttering around doing stuff, or should I go through the dungeon she gave me first?

On an unrelated note, I keep getting an incredibly obnoxious strategy popup that goes "Land a warp strike and then initiate a cross chain". I know for a fact I've done this multiple times while the prompt was active, but it keeps appearing- is it just a random extra AP thing, not a tutorial that thinks I haven't completed it yet?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

You have to warp strike the enemy with a red marker over it, and then it does the thing. It does a lot of damage but since you have no control over when it happens it's not that useful.

Oh wait, do cross strikes only initiate when the strategy prompt is active? That's kinda disappointing, I figured it was a limit break-y part of my normal repertoire that I just wasn't bothering to try and trigger during normal fights.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Barudak posted:

That prompt just makes it easier, gives you a reward. You can link and cross strike other times

That's handy, I should probably try to actually do that... it's a pity that there aren't more situations where it's viable, watching the entire group team up to beat the hell out of some random monster never stops being satisfying.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Okay, wait, I'm most of the way through chapter five in XV, and I'm starting to have severe issues following the plot. So Lucis is awesome, it has a crystal that drains the life out of its king and lets him give people magic. Niflheim is cartoonishly evil, and has Luna, a medium for the gods (who are apparently literal, super-powerful beings that hang around in meteor craters and mountain caves) who can headbutt sickness out of old people. Niflheim demands that Luna and Noctis get married as part of the peace treaty, then use the treaty signing to launch a surprise attack, kill the king, and take the crystal. The remnants of Lucis' military band together to try and fight back against the invaders, and they tell Noctis to go stab himself with the 13 ancestral weapons that all the kings can use, which I think is supposed to give him access to the full range of magic his dad had, so he can grant it to his subjects? Except, I think that won't work because he also needs the crystal and they don't have it anymore? Anyway, he does that for a while, then out of nowhere in chapter 5 they go "Oh btw, weapon quest is on hold, now you need to go around and ask all of the gods to give you their blessing," except, wasn't that Luna's job? And isn't she actively going around doing the exact same thing right now? So what on earth are we supposed to be accomplishing with this?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Okay, so she is explicitly asking the gods to double up and give him the same power the medium traditionally holds? Do we know why yet, or is it more Luna just going "Huh, this invasion sucks; I'll bet Noctis could use a pocket full of gods to decimate a ton of imperial troops"?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

zedprime posted:

Everything Noct is doing is a traditional coming of age as a Lucii king. It's just a little under duress because Insomnia is occupied and the crystal is captured.

Lucii are supermen who's strength draws on both the crystal and every Lucian who has come before. The first obviously comes from having access to the crystal but the latter comes from the Armiger and the Ring. Hence the road trip to pay respects to Lucii past to gain access to their Armiger and learn and train to be able to draw power from the Ring.

The Lucii are basically allied with the gods. In exchange for the crystal, the gods required the Lucii to dedicate themselves to preventing a future apocalypse. Normally a Lucii would just visit with an Oracle to say "we still cool" and the god would say "I guess, let me sleep yo." This time around the gods recognize apocalypse is upon the world and are testing Noctis' capacity to address it so they are much more restless than the usual Lucii road trip.

Most importantly the Lucii are super humans because of their buds. Regis made the same road trip with his buds, including Cid. If you forgot, Cid told you the most important part of the road trip is having fun with your buds. So don't forget about that part of it or you'll never be a really good Lucii.

Thanks for that summary, I missed nearly all of that. The road tripping has been absolutely fantastic, but every single time it gets into the background mythology or what's actually happening with the invasion, I tend to lose track.

Speaking of which, I'm somewhat unclear on what was happening with Regis's health- was his rapidly sickening and becoming infirm a natural consequence of being the king and using the armiger and ring, or was he intentionally trading life for extra magic to keep that shield up for years?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

teh_Broseph posted:

:five:

It's a good one to jump in on especially on PC, heads up may still be +20% off at greenmangaming. Watch the first 15 minutes of Kingsglaive on youtube or rent and watch the whole thing if you really wanna be caught up on what's happening, they kind of left the opening act of the game in that movie and didn't cover it alll that great. You can totes skip it though too and be fine.

I for one am super-glad that I watched it first; the way they covered what happens in Kingsglaive in-game is absurdly opaque, to the point that I'm pretty sure I would've gotten confused within the first few hours.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I still have a ton of unfinished sidequests in XV, so my plan is to advance to chapter 9 (for the 3x hotel), then go back and polish everything else off... are there any super-duper quality of life features I want to get from 10-12 first? Or should I just plow through the story, then focus on doing the side content in ng+?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

How does the last chapter work, anyway? Does it plunk me back in the open world with everything unlocked after I finish out the story, or does it just make a completion save I use to start ng+?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I just did the bit where Noctis and the bros take Iris on a goofy road trip, and holy freaking poo poo; watching her suplex an alligator with her big bro never gets old.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is it just me, or are the Crestholm Channels absurdly confusing? I spent an entire in-game day down there, and I still couldn't find Cindy's stuff or the path to the boss.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Sapozhnik posted:

There's a bunch of switches you need to interact with in order to make progress on those electrical breaker panel things but they're not obvious at all. Also you need to jump over railings at various points.

Holy crap, that is what I was missing. My guys are absurdly overpowered so I had no problem with the nagarani in the basement, but I thought those switches were background props, not interactable objects, so I ended up going all the way down, all the way back up, opening the shortcut, and then casting around for 45 minutes looking for a new path that I thought would be there.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I like Iris' fashion sense. Also that little tour of the town with her was adorable, I don't know why there's options to be a dick why would you be a dick to Iris.

Going on a side road trip with Iris and watching her body slam gators with her big bro was a big highlight, too.

Speaking of being a dick, are there any changes if Noctis is a dick in that journal he shares with Luna, and just fills it with meh/monotone responses instead of actually exerting effort like she is?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

It changes the description of a key item towards the end of the game.

At least that's cool, but I was kinda hoping you could get some scattered dialogue of the party going "...dude wtf, stop being a dick to your wife"

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I was going through Costlemark Tower earlier, thinking to myself "Geez, this is easily my least favorite dungeon in the game." Then I found the puzzle room.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Nessus posted:

I don't think the people in Narshe had a real weird dialect although I suppose they might have had rough/casual/Kansai speech. What did the retranslation turn it into?

I just checked the very beginning of the Japanese version, and at least the guards in Narshe sound pretty normal. (Given, most of what they say is angry yelling/faux bravery, which doesn't really lend itself to extended dialogue.)

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

lobster22221 posted:

I thought guards were invaders though. Its possible that the accent's were different.

Weren't the guards Narshe-ians? I always assumed so, since you start of playing a squad of Gestahl soldiers and the guys who fight you are wrapped in bandages the same way some of Narshe's default NPCs are once the town becomes explorable.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is Totomostro less random than it seems? I've tried betting on seemingly every combo of big/small/high-level/low-level/pack/solo monster, and every single time it gets its butt kicked.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Cronodoculous posted:

I spent a couple hours playing it and I can win about 90% of the time now. So I guess here's my Monster Fight Tips:

1. The tenacity horn is pretty dope, it'll turn a one-hit kill on some low health monsters into a two-hit kill, which will give you enough time to win.
2. Eventually you'll get a feel for who beats who, but upsets still happen. You'll make most of your points in 1v1 matches, especially ones with two high payoff teams.
3. Pack teams are good 1v1, Single big monster teams are good in 4 team matches.
4. Safe bets: The flexitusk/sabertusk teams are very good. The "Obelisks", a reaperking, is pretty good. The weird unicorn teams can squeak out a win, especially with that tenacity horn.
5. Condition matters, but it's difficult to say how much. Just keep it in mind as you play and you'll get a feel for it.

Mostly it'll come down to experience. You'll figure it out with a little more time, then you'll be betting 9999 medals on every match and it's just a matter of waiting for the matches to end and spamming that horn button.

Thanks for this, it was really helpful! I ended up spending most of my time betting big on the group of tusked wolf things, since they tended to get weirdly low odds in spite of pulverizing everything on the field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I just finished chapter 13 in XV, and I understand it got tons of redesign? What'd they change? The version I played was slow, boring, and full of petty annoyances, but it didn't feel like it would provoke all of the complaints I heard about it when the game first came out.