Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Silver Trophy: Collected all 12 1/35 Soldiers

In other news, the FFVII version on PS4 has a trophy for going on a date with Barret. I've never done that before, so I guess I'll need a guide to be a proper dick to the ladies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Feature creep, this late in the dev cycle.

Also, that trailer makes Noctis look like John Wick and I have a better appreciation for the "throw sword, warp to sword" idea after seeing in the trailer. It's a good thing. I think November is going to be a slow drip of the Kingsglaive and the anime in preparation for the game. The GamesRadar podcast said that if you don't have the movie as a background, there's a lot of things that don't get clearly explained for a long time.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Onmi posted:

The Dev Cycle is done.

I've been hurt before. I won't believe it's done until I'm playing it.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Good trailer. I'm a little sad to hear that different outfits have different stats, I was hoping to be able to change freely without worrying about being suboptimal. Maybe it's just minor or inconsequential stat changes.

Based on the few frames from the trailer that show the stat changes between outfits, it looks like the difference between two outfits is ~80 HP (390 to 468); 3, uh, bicep? (19 to 22); 14 ranged? (73 to 87); and 3 total offense (19 to 22). I believe the bicep and the total offense are the same because Noctis has a sword equipped. It also looks like those changes are common between clothing. Noctis' fatigues have the higher HP with the lower combat scores, fatigues sans jacket has the lower HP and high combat scores, and the casual outfit (with jacket) has the lower scores across the board. I don't know if these adjustments are static or based on a percent of a core stat, but based on the fact that there are only two different values between three sets of clothes, I'd wager it's small percent bonuses that each outfit has or doesn't rather than big, dramatic changes one might find between disc 1 armor and disc 4 armor. That's just speculation though. I'd like to play dress up with my boys without worrying that I'm gimping them. Someone with the Judgement Disc demo could give a more in-depth analysis.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 22, 2016

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I know that, ultimately, any combinations of jobs will get you through XII, but I want to throw out my plan and see if it raises any obvious flags. I want to use every class once, although I don't really know what to do with the Uhlan.

Vaan: Bushi/Time Battlemage
Balthier: Shikari/Foebreaker
Fran: Archer/Red Mage
Basch: Knight/Uhlan
Ashe: Monk/Black Mage
Penelo: White Mage/Machinist

I tried to consider some innate abilities to spread things like Cure and Steal out but it's hardly "optimal."

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I played XIII, XIII-2 and Lightning Returns and I hated everything about each of them. Settings, characters, gameplay - nothing worked for me. It was a pretty disappointing time.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Golden Goat posted:

Which Final Fantasy is your favorite?

Probably VI or Tactics. I like most of them equally well, but there are some sharp dips and I think I had as much fun playing XIII as I did playing III on the DS.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

It always struck me as particularly odd that FF XIII had no problem dropping you into an established fantasy world with fal'Cie and l'Cie but then ran out of creativity when it came to character names. Like, maybe Lightning or Snow could fit next to Cloud, Squall and Tidus in a vaguely weather or nature related category, but they're pretty dumb names. So is Hope, and Fang, and Vanille (which is extra dumb because it reads like they couldn't bring themselves to name everyone after nouns but couldn't think of anything better than Vanilla. Fang and Vanille at least have interesting naming conventions (wikipedia says their full names are Oerba Dia Vanille and Oerba Yun Fang) but that almost makes it worse because they got close to something original but backed off. The one character with a name that sounds like the parents didn't just name their kid after the first thing they saw after labor is the one black character, and that guy's alright in my book except that SE couldn't help themselves not pair dark skin with guns.

Looking at a party line up and seeing the names Snow, Hope, and Fang just looks lazy.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's also weird because his name is actually Snow. Lightning is a nickname because she's so distant from these fuckers she won't even tell them her real name (mostly cause she hates Snows guts for being the worst brother-in-law in the world. Seriously holy poo poo the birthday scene is unironically one of the best character moments in franchise history.) Okay Sazh and Hope are real names or close to it, sure. Fang and Vanille are weird Monster Steppe warriors so their names can be dumb and weird. Lightning's name is Clairem lightning is a nickname. This loving hero-wannabe's real actual goddamn name is Snow. It's like his parents wanted him to fail.

To add to this, Wikipedia also says that Lightning's real name in the Japanese version is Éclair, so she traded one noun for another. Lightning is a much cooler noun than Éclair though; Éclair is a good name for a white mage or adorable chef, bad name for super soldier.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

FFXV is a voluntary death march and the characters have a blast for most of it.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

AVALANCHE's biggest promoters are illiterate

e: slightly better image

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I think it's really cool that the license boards resemble the zodiac symbol attached to it. A definite "neat" moment.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Does the Diamond Amulet change what's in chests for anyone who opens it or only for the wearer?

Also, died FFT on iOS still have the weird slowdown with skills?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I gave my Healing Rod user a gambit to attack any ally below 80% HP with the intent of keeping Regen cast on wounded allies, but it's had the unintended effect of dropping the target's HP to hit the threshold for a gambit that casts Cure instead.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Testify in front of people holding books
Don't testify in front of people wearing swords
You can testify in shops

The whole thing at x4 speed should take two minutes.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I would like a FFXII-2 with a more complex Gambit system (give me some basic logic gates besides "If", please) and a cast of playable characters that takes more advantage of Ivalice's diverse racial composition. XII's cast of 5 Humes and a Viera, all with similar body types, has always been something of a let down. IX was the last time parties got real crazy with player races, not counting the MMOs. I've always thought it would be cool if you had a Garif on your team.

Part of that comes from playing Rogue Galaxy pretty close to FFXII, and RG had a very diverse cast.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

One problem I have with XII is that it doesn't include the name of who's speaking in the subtitles during cutscenes. It's a minor problem when you have people who are visually distinct talking, but there are scenes with Judges talking among themselves and they are completely new to the player and look identical aside from their helmet. So I have to play a game of "wait for someone to mention a name and memorize the sound of the voice and shape of the helmet when the person mentioned responds" which I am not very good at. It sucks because it homogenizes these villains and it robs them of what could have been cool characterization. Even something simple, like giving each Judge a different colored cape, would have been more helpful, but as it is I think I know three judges names, one of which is dead and one has been absent from the story so far. I'm not very far in the game and I've never gotten very far in previous attempts.

I get that having a faceless oppressor can work, and that it's drawing from FFTA's world for the design of the Judges, but I find it to be a frustrating decision.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Near the beginning of XII, Penelo chides Vaan for doing risky poo poo because the other war orphans look up to him and need him around to help provide/protect them, and to be *a* role model. Then Vaan fucks off on his quest for revenge vis-a-vis being a tag along with grown ups, and Penelo sees Vaan getting arrested (so she knows the other orphans are going to be without him) and while she gets spirited away due to an outside force she never seems to want to go back. She's cool leaving all the other children to fend for themselves as long as she gets to stand in the background of cutscenes.

After a while the adults must realize that the children are highly adept killing machines and that's why they're kept around. Muscle and comic relief, maybe keep them to test for traps or something. You can always find a use for a street urchin who can wield a katana.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I can't believe you're playing a romhack before playing the original. And the game asks if you want to wait for Shadow, it's your fault for doubting him and leaving him to die. It would have been a design flaw if you needed to get to the airship with a set amount of time left on the clock, but since you just need to run the timer down to a dramatic finish I don't think it's bad at all. "Should we wait for Shadow?" "gently caress no, ninja's cramping my style and slowing me down. [five hours later] I regret my words and deeds."

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

King Bahamut posted:

Am I missing an unlock camera button, because I can't see how a goddamned thing is targeted. If it's a flying enemy I can't even see the damage numbers because my leader gets underneath it

This is a few pages back but holding L2 will focus the camera on your target, which lets you see the damage numbers on big/flying enemies. It's also nice to use so you can appreciate some of the boss or esper designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Rolling over normal enemies leads to me setting up some dumb gambits that rarely get activated until I get into a tough fight and see Balthier using Infuse or something. Mostly it's Fran spamming Poach on something that's immune and even then it's easy enough to turn that one gambit off for a while or just move her out of the active party. One thing I'm not crazy about is how a person being targeted by any ability is unable to be removed from the active party, which means that if you have a Cura gambit you can get trapped with people in low health who can't be subbed out because someone is constantly trying to heal everyone. I should probably swap Cura with Curaja now that I have it on a few people, including my Knight, but :effort:

I don't play around with summoning Espers enough in this, especially since the timer was extended and I should be able to roll through a dungeon or something with an Esper out instead of saving them for boss fights. But I don't. I've used them only a few times, and the first time I did the summoner got offed almost immediately which made it a huge waste. The second time I brought Belias out against Matreus and pretty much auto-attacked to victory without even needing to heal.

I'm at the part of the game where you need to go through the Salikawood which is where all my previous runs have died. I remember it opening up a bit and there being a bunch of hunts and sidequests that you can do, which I always attempt until I lose interest in the game. I think I'm going to push through until I reach the next major town just so I can beat my pb, then worry about sweeping up some Espers and the like.