Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Hey TWD.

The White Dragon posted:

If FF9 comes out on Steam by Aug 2 2016, I will stream it live and finish it in one sitting to the best of my completionist ability (no jump rope king gently caress you) :toxx:

What I'm saying is it's not gonna happen.

:v:

I would also settle for you resuming your FF1 narrative LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Is it possible to get a different trade rule for solo mode in the FF Portal Triple Triad app? Diff would make getting the duplicates to fuse to a five star card much quicker.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

You can more easily Cheat Engine the end-game grind to go straight to the hunts? :shrug: And situationally, PC games can have Steam Sales. Don't rebuy it if you already own it.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

dasmause posted:

I was under impression that COM/RAV/RAV is maximum damage since increasing stagger % increases damage

Role bonuses, having a COM out makes everyone do more damage, having 3 COMs out makes everyone do more more more damage and of course they're all in the damage dealing job, this outweighs increasing stagger after a point. However, multiple COMs will target different enemies, while RAVs will gang up on a COM's target, so the above only applies when there's only one target.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

NikkolasKing posted:

Bringing it back to XIII though, I really liked that, not only did the two teams have their own special quotes, Snow and Hope also got special dialogue for switching paradigms or when one of them is hurt or whatever. I don't know if every pair has unique dialogue but I'd like to see. I also really liked there was special dialogue for certain boss battles when you switched paradigms.

They do, Sazh and Vanille call each other Old Man and Kid, Lightning encourages Hope and Hope incessantly asks for approval from Lightning after every loving shift, completely undermining that the point of Hope taking point in the Whitewood was to build his confidence. Can't remember the lines for Light/Fang, no Dualcasting meant I wasn't shifting much then.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

AlphaKretin posted:

Is it possible to get a different trade rule for solo mode in the FF Portal Triple Triad app? Diff would make getting the duplicates to fuse to a five star card much quicker.

Why did no one tell me that I completely misinterpreted Card Creation? :negative: You don't sacrifice 10 n star cards to make one n+1 star card, you sacrifice 10 n star cards to make one n star card with jumbled number values. How loving useless. So the only way to get five star cards is to keep duelling the AI until it rarely uses one then beat it while it has better cards than you do and it usually does? gently caress that.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The trick with Tri-Disaster is that you shift there after an ATB or two of Smart Bomb or Relentless Assault. The stagger hold that SAB and COM have is almost a mini status effect, it sticks around for a bit without you having to keep the pressure on.

Eidolons are useful in a pinch because afaik they reset the status of your party members but that's out once you pick up Renew. It's useful in the fight as solo Snow after he's been gone for 5 chapters because he's been gone for 5 chapters, and it's funny that the game lets you summon again after starting in Gestalt mode.

e;fb on all but Snow

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I remain frustrated that there is still no concrete news on 12 HD. Wasn't it supposed to be coming if 10 HD did well? Because 10 HD did so well they released another version of the drat thing, yet SE went out of their way to quash talk of 12 when someone accidentally implied it. :argh: Catching up on this whole thread really gave me the urge to try IZJS, but that would mean importing a copy, setting up PCSX2, and figuring out the patching process, which is far too much :effort:, especially when I theoretically, maybe, have a reason to hold back on buying the PS2 version.

E: FWIW I own 12 but gave up for a stupid, petty reason I can't remember after literally 5 minutes of running around as Vaan. Is it worth a shot or should I just wait for a chance to play IZJS?

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jan 19, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Er, sorry I should have specified, I currently only own the original release of 12. Also I'd still have to puzzle out emulation which as I gather involves buying some USB ethernet adaptor to dump the BIOS and :psyduck:. Unless it's much easier than it sounds.

E: VVV I have looked it up and everything I find says you need to dump your BIOS and everything I look up about that involves going out and buying a peripheral for a console two generations out of date. :shrug: Maybe I'm not looking hard enough but that's because it doesn't matter that much to me; the main point of the post was grumbling about the lack of an HD release and wondering aloud if the original was worth playing.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 19, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Right, thanks. One of these days I'll get less naive. :shobon:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The big issue with SAB is that the AI won't try to refresh debuffs that haven't run out, so early-game* your SAB will only slow the stagger gauge once or twice then stand around like a moron and let the stagger gauge fall.

*"game" here meaning starting from when you have appreciable options

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Actually I'm curious to hear (if only to confirm our biases :v:) what someone who isn't comparing it to the original thinks of the graphics.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Didn't they also give World 2 Exdeath regen or something? I can live without bugs (though IIRC they removed Omega's weakness to Romeo's Ballad when that was intentional and a valid strategy), but that's just silly.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The only reason to give Hope COM is because he conveniently gets his better attack option (that is, Ruin over Attack) in one node and it grants access to Cerberus in the same party as his buffing. Similar deal to with Fang and RAV.

E: Not to say that's a bad reason at all, just if you're not using Cerberus you won't see much of a point.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

But either way, what's the functional difference between the game worlds being totally unrelated and one guy being able to travel between them, having to hop between universes to do so? That Gilgamesh has to travel through the void only reinforces the seperation between them as far as I'm concerned. :shrug:

E:VVV I wasn't responding to anyone in particular, and certainly not bashing you. :) I think a lot of last page was just poking fun at the FFX writer's silly Ultimania poo poo that insists X-2's Shinra invented space travel and founded FF7's world. Note that the same guy wrote the adventures of Tidus and the blitzbomb.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 21, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I played like half an hour of 8 waiting for my recent purchase of 13 to download (yes, that means PC 8. A good day for decisions all around :v:) before realising it would take too long and am I missing something or do people overstate how easy it is to just get Card and Card-RF? Abilities take like 50 AP to learn, it's not like 5, 9 or TA where you can use it while mastering it, and enemies give like 1 or 2 AP early game when I'm supposed to be avoiding encounters anyway.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm playing XIII and I got Kelger's Cup doing Cieth Stones on my first visit to Pulse. Am I overdoing it or right on track?

Why are the hunt achievements named after the Dawn Warriors anyway? Not complaining, FFV is awesome, but it's neither particularly relevant nor the only or most notable group of 4 people in the series by far.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Actually I might have overly rushed it because none of the stones in the Mahabara (gently caress your apostrophes) are active. That's gonna make post game clean up a pain.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

FFXIV appears to be half price on Steam, for anyone looking for an excuse to jump in.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

It's not abuse to use Junctions, they're a - hell, the game mechanic. It's just cheesy methods of getting better than average spells to Junction and refusing to level up.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I didn't want to ask here because it's a bit touchy and I've already caught flak for being dumb about this, but I'm trying to patch XII IZJS from my PAL copy and it's hanging at type_05 with a 700 MB file. I tried Googling and all I could fine was a page in the patch thread with others asking the same thing with no answer. Has anyone else here encountered or even overcome this?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Schwartzcough posted:

I swear to nothing, but I seem to recall that you need to use a U.S. version of the XII .iso. The isos for different versions are different sizes, and the patch is only designed to work with the one type.

It's got known issues in the readme for patches based off the PAL version, so that can't be it.

E: Oh god people on psx-scene post like loving morons it's hard to read :negative: Supposedly running it off a USB will help but I don't own a 16GB USB.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jan 23, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

ImpAtom posted:

I... can't actually argue with this.

Yes you can, you only kill god in a few games. :colbert: Even FFX, which popularised the JRPG Religion = Evil thing, only has you fight what amounts to a prophet afaik.

Unrelated, if it was better written FFXIII could have a lot to say about teamwork. A lot of people dislike the parts where the party is split up, and the "fight" as Hope against the Ushumgal Subjugator (why the gently caress do I remember that name?) shows that even Lcie are useless alone. Chalk up another wasted opportunity in 13 I guess. :v:

E: VVV Meant it started the widespread misconception that it's always the case, changed wording.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 24, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Ok, so. FF 12 IZJS English. I balls up ripping my disc and it takes four times as long as it needs to. The patcher either freezes or crashes at type_05 with a 700 MB file. I slog through the unreadable thread to find out that I'm not alone, the issue is the OS not liking how fast it creates and deletes files, and the solution is to slow it down by running it off a USB. I don't have one big enough. No alternatives I try work. I get frustrated because I can't even pretend to be doing something by futilely Googling for answers because I know the answer, I just can't act on it. But wait, I find a big enough USB! I excitedly transfer the files and run the patcher, and it is indeed running slower... only for it to loving crash at type_05 anyway.:shepicide:

The best part is, the conversation on the last page makes me think that if I do make it work, after all this, I might not enjoy it anyway. :negative:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Sunning posted:

They'll announce a port of FFXII IZJS for modern platforms any day now. Just wait for that.

I was actually going to until a poorly written grumble about how they hadn't yet derailed into encouragement to just try it already. :v: Now I'm too far in and irrational, I don't want to let this stupid patcher win. :argh:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

In 13, is there any way to distinguish between completed Cieth Stones and active but new ones on the map? I know once you get there they glow brighter but I'd really like to be able to know in advance to not bother going there. I'm on PC if there's a mod for that.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 25, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

FF DS is the most repayable and engaging (the limited NG+ is stupid beyond belief but hey), but it's explicitly designed for people who have played the million versions of FF4 before and want something different, IMO it shouldn't be the only version available on PC, especially with Square kind of sort of pretending there's no 2D alternative by remaking TAY.

I mean in every case I'd rather the PSP version or a similar remake over the craptasctic phone ports but for IV I have more of a reason than "graphics bad, gently caress mobile gaming :corsair:" :v:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Final Fantasy Megathread: The release date's release date is in March

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

That sounds kinda lacking for a 3DS game. Is it at least some mindless fun if you find it cheap somewhere?

Oh, and what's this about a 3D FF1 remake? Preorder bonus in Japan or part of the game?

E:

ImpAtom posted:

It's just a preorder bonus in Japan.

Boo. Oh well, unless it makes some radical changes there's not much to be had from playing 1 again.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 26, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

FF13, of all things, does fixed levels alright, at least until you hit Pulse where hitting the cap is expensive and doing so makes you overpowered.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I think his point is that there's so much else coming out around the same time, even in this increasingly niche genre, that it's not worth risking a game you're unsure about that Japan seems to hate.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Would you say it's worth buying or is it skippable? I'm going to trade-in Legend of Legacy today, more than likely, so I might pick up Explorers if it's worth it.
When I asked if it's worth picking up cheap:

ImpAtom posted:

It's kind of mindless fun as I am so far. I'm playing a Monk and so my skill setup is basically "hit things really hard" "boost my damage" "a counter move where timing it does a lot of damage" and "a backstep that replenishes AP" and it's pretty fun to just chain-stomp my way through enemies. I've only fought a couple of big enemies but they've been pretty mediocre fights. It'd be better if I was doing the 4-player co-op. It really really is a poor Monster Hunter game unless it improves a lot from where I am though.
E:VVV The worst game in the series, even! :v:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Hahaha what the gently caress am I looking at? The best part is the Gunblade from nowhere. :allears:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Tangential, FF7 has the best OST because it has 3 songs named, in part, "Shinra Explodes!".

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Idk for sure but I heard you're guaranteed a level after a certain point and slots get you earlier levels if you're lucky.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Huh. Either the CP cap in XIII is higher than fits in the UI, or it gives no shits if you Cheat Engine above it. That'll make maxing out a lot quicker.

What? I just wanna check out all the post game content without having to grind.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

In terms of general design I like the Dissidia interpretations of the FF6 moogles. I don't like Ivalice moogles but I haven't taken a critical look at them since my first impression of "they're different :saddowns::mad:"

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I suppose that depends on how shot-calling is split between SE and Team Ninja. :shrug:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Does this mean we're now allowed to debate the merit of each game as if they not all the worst? :v:

Also "Kupola" makes me think of the twins from Nier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It's not the real FFIX experience unless you unsuccessfully steal from Hilgigars for an hour before quitting out of frustration.

:v:

I wonder if they're going to clean up those mistranslations for the PC port?