Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Judging from the amount of damage it did to take down that Behemoth, it looks like they just made it flat-out impossible to beat unless you use the summon to instantly win? That's kinda lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Suaimhneas posted:

I'm just imagining how awesome Doomtrain would look in this game and hoping that Square-Enix thought so too

I can only hope that Gladiolus has been practicing his suplex

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Terper posted:

A dude beating the demo Behemoth without using the summon. Or, well, the last 15 minutes of the 43 minutes long battle.

Well guess that answers that question.
Perhaps with some level grinding the fight could be cut down quite a bit

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MrLonghair posted:

Episode Duscae wrapped up. This is going to be a 40/40 Famitsu review hit if it improves and expands on everything as much as I think it will.

We can only hope and prey that this game will live up to the gargantuan heights of such revolutionary games as Final Fantasy XIII-2, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Yakuza 5, and Nintendogs

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Judging from the videos I've seen FFXV's combat seems like a much more fleshed-out Crisis Core

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

KH2 is literally the worst non-Card game combat wise. Like minus the timer thing 3D has really fun gameplay and you can zip around really fast and punch men really well. KH2 takes what 1 did and adds in two features that just make it easier without making anything more fun.

Seriously, go play BBS if you think KH2 was a good or fun game. You'll poo poo your pants it's so fun.

Birth By Sleep is really boring gameplay wise, beating everything comes down to different kinds of spam
Swarm of enemies? Spam your commands
Giant boss? Spam Shotlocks and commands
Small boss? Spam guard and counter
Boss that attacks you a lot? Spam dodge rolls

Like, at least in KH2FM fighting things requires something resembling reflexes. Time your dodge roll right. Quick run at the right time. Close in and begin a combo at the right time. Back off before the boss smacks you in the face. Take an opportunity to use the right kind of magic.

And the basic combos in BBS were useless and most of the commands are obsolete by the end of the game once you've gotten thunder surge and mega flare

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

seiferguy posted:

Well Tellah only having 90 MP was kind of a plot point because Meteo costs 99 MP and it he couldn't physically use it, and has to sacrifice his body to use it once.

Well, that and from a gameplay perspective it keeps you on a very limited supply of -aga spell castings, forcing you to be careful with how you use his magic.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

YggiDee posted:

Well that was tedious.

What they gently caress were you thinking?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I was having a blast with Bravely Default but kinda stopped playing it because that's just what I tend to do in the middle of JRPGs. Last I remember the party met a pervy old man anime stereotype in a forest. I should pick that game back up again

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, its like Pokemon dungeon design, which is not a particularly great thing.

More like NES Final Fantasy dungeon design, where they''re basically just mazes with enemies. Unless later dungeons start throwing in annoying puzzles like in Pokemon that are just time sinks for spamming random encounters at you while you solve them

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 20, 2015

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

By the way, is it better in Bravely Default to focus on one class at a time with each character or to switch around at certain points?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah his dad was a piece of poo poo but he came to Spira and realized he was a piece of poo poo and felt bad for how he treated his son, and wanted to atone for it"

That's pretty much exactly what happened.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Yunalesca fight in particular really forces you to be careful and consider all of your options before doing anything. The challenging bosses in FFX are really fun to fight assuming you don't just power-level to a point where you can one-shot them.

Too bad all of the hardest bosses have incredibly long cutscenes before them and the HD version didn't add in a goddamn "skip scene" button :argh:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm still waiting for proper 5 and 6 remakes. FF4 DS was awesome

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dude, did you know that in Metroid Samus turns into a girl if you speed through the game fast enough? What a bunch of bullshit! Worst game design ever!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Artix posted:

So hey, quick FF13 question. I hope there's an actual explanation for this because otherwise I'm very confused. I've cleared Titan's Trials and I've cleared all 7 of the circle hunts and...well, nothing happened. I thought that was the trigger for making the stronger enemies appear on the Steppe?

That should've done it. Note that the strong turtles look only a little different from the normal turtles

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

So I just heard about this Record Keeper thing. Can someone explain this to me and is the game fun to play without spending my life savings on in-app purchases?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

So, when's a good level to be attempting the Normal and Hard daily challenges?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Alxprit posted:

So is Mythril still not worth using for Relics yet or

I got a pretty sweet 4-star dagger today that's made Kane into a real heavy-hitter

No five star stuff yet though

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Honestly I don't see the appeal in hoarding mythril. The higher level equipment it gives you is really useful early on, you're gonna benefit more from using it sooner rather than later

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kanfy posted:

As someone who doesn't care about Record Keeper, lol at people getting upset about FF-related things being discussed in the FF thread.

Oh no, not our high-quality thread filled with such intelligent discussion at all times!

But it's not the kind of FF-related thing I like!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Making some big assumptions there, bro

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fedule posted:

Wrinkle: There is rumoured to be an HD port of FFXII-IZJS in development though it hasn't been confirmed, much less given an ETA.

I would buy the poo poo out of that

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

What is this I'm hearing about the remake being an episodic release with each episode the length of a full game?
That's unbelievable.
As in, I literally don't believe it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

slev posted:

8 year old me didn't understand that Cloud and Tifa hosed and everyone watched

Can't wait for all the cool racey bits like this to be cut from this apparently 2000-hour remake.
I still can't trust Square not to filter the story through the "bland and soulless and depressed" filter like they did with like every other FF7 thing since release. I'm like a lover scorned, SE is offering me flowers but I just can't bring myself to trust them again. I'm skeptical about video games is what I'm saying.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

mycot posted:

But PS4 let's you go all Bravely Default and turn off encounters/multiply XP etc.

You can do that with Steam too, it just requires you to take a few minutes to download them separately.

Madmarker posted:

I mean, you are coming close to your last chance to REALLY relive what the game was like before Square ruins it with the remake.

My concern is that Cloud, Sephiroth, etc. are all icons now, not characters. Square is gonna go through the old script and Cloud's thing is being cool and moody, so they'll say "Oh, we can't have Cloud wearing a dress, oh we can't have Cloud emoting, we need to cut that out because that isn't the Cloud that sells action figures, we can't have that." I just can't see Square leaving the story mostly untouched and not changing it for the worse.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Tae posted:

They literally mentioned cloud cross dressing as still in,

When was that mentioned? I didn't see it.

quote:

like you're hoping it fails at this point.

No I'm not, I'm just really cautious about getting hyped for this game because SE has a mixed history to say the least. Of course I want the game to be good,it would be stupid not to want the game to be good. Good games make me happy and I like playing them and I like saying that they are good, and I would love to be able to say "I was worried they would gently caress it up but drat they actually pulled it off"
You shouldn't be so eager to jump down someone's throat just because they are worried the game won't turn out right, it's a bad habit.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Motto posted:

Next, they ask if that means we’ll get to see Cloud in his cross-dressing appearance. Nomura responds with a laugh saying yes, the cross-dressing scene is in the game, but they haven’t done the design for it yet.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/12/0...FCkccg3YoUd6.99

Well that's good at least.
I'm feeling better about this game already!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Does the title of the FF7 LP thread count as a proper citation source?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

In a shocking development Tetsuya Nomura has announced he is stepping down from the development of the Final Fantasy 7 Remake and will be replaced by David Cage.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BurningDance posted:

10 hours to collect every part needed to complete Cloud's transformation and you will love every single minute of it

Hell, just make it an entire episode.
Or the entire remake, better yet.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

In Training posted:

Lightning Returns in 2 days.

Still need to finish that. Pretty alright game but I have like 5 million other things to do first. The thought of the game not running at a completely poo poo frame rate is pretty amazing. Maybe we'll get some cool not terrible texture packs too.
More importantly though that means the LP thread for that will probably be happening in the future.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Yoko Taro directs the FF7 remake: Ending B has you go on another quest and revive Aerith but she comes back as a screaming Cronenberg abomination and you have to re-kill her also the rest of the cast dies horribly. You asked for this.

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 8, 2015

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

When are they gonna stop using the hideous iOS version of the game's graphics? They hurt my eyes and they hurt my soul.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Baal posted:

The official theme of the 13 series and the only way to greet Lightning's Return to PC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEUOOgNzOv4

FTFY :colbert:

Also when can we get than FFIX port that fixes the lovely loading times and stuff? That would be the best.

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 9, 2015

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

VIII isn't the worst game ever, the story starts off kinda interesting and the art is all better than FF7. But the story starts off confused and only gets worse and worse the further you go along. At first it feels like a mystery and you want to understand, but then you realize there's no understanding it and its just cryptic nonsense.

FFX is practically a remake of VIII.

FFX's story really isn't all that cryptic. Like at all. It follows a pretty clear progression with twists that are properly explained. It just also has some clumsy and dumb moments peppered throughout.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

I never said X was cryptic. I said VIII was cryptic and X feels like a remake of VIII.

The first thing I'd do in said remake would be to make it less cryptic.

Did you mix up the roman numerals or something and mean to say VIII isn't cryptic?

FFX is just like VIII in theme but it makes way more sense so its much stronger at getting that across.

Oh I kinda see what you mean then, for some reason it came across to me that you were saying both were cryptic.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Love is pretty prominent in a lot of FF games actually. 7 had the whole Aerith and Tifa thing. 8, 9, and 10 had a romantic couple in the forefront. 6 had like a dozen different romantic themes going on at once and even went on a musical interlude to address the subject. The XIII saga had the whole Serah business as being a driving force and then added Caius and Yeul's tragic star-crossed tale to the mix. And now XV is about bromance and maybe also a female love interest?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

The theme of the entire Final Fantasy 13 subfranchise is "God loving sucks, gently caress that rear end in a top hat."

Like that sounds like a joke but it isn't. It's an entire subfranchise about how religion is terrible and we should kill God.

XIII: God sucks, we should kick his rear end because anything can be done with human spirit!
XIII-2: Wait, I lied, loving with God is a terrible idea and will just make another God have to bail you out in an exceptionally incompetent way that screws everyone over, we're all going to loving die.
LR: Wait, okay I found the real God, you can kick his rear end now and everything will be fine. I guess. I dunno. gently caress you I don't have all the answers!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think Evangelion just made villains that utilize obtuse Christian symbolism "trendy" in japanese RPGs and anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

FFVII is still a dark story but the moments of levity give the game emotional range, something that VII's extended universe sorely lacks. When everything is reduced to miserable, brooding people being miserable and brooding, all that dark poo poo loses it's edge, it becomes mundane and hard to care about.

Not to mention the dialogue. Oh god the dialogue :barf: