Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Tae posted:

So only post-game stuff? And I'm including Dragon Quest, etc. I can't really think of any re-make by any company changing major deaths, seems like a taboo.

In the remakes of Dragon Warrior/Quest III you could bring your father back to life, which was the entire reason your character went out on an adventure in the first place. Although that's also post main game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Evil Fluffy posted:

I should really get around to finishing my play through of the SFC version of DQ3. Is he just an extra party member they toss in to the pub or what?

Nah, he just hangs around at your house in Aliahan with your mother.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
You don't grind levels to power up in FFVIII because the stats you get from levels are minimal. You grind other things like cards and enemy drops which you turn into stats. The abuse of the junction system comes into play when you know exactly which parts of the game drop the cards/items that can get you absurd spells really early to power up super fast. It also doesn't help that FFVIII generally has anti-difficulty in grinding in the traditional sense where the enemies get stronger, but it'd still be super easy if you knew exactly what to refine.

To compare it more to other FF's, it's like if you could get stuff like the 2X-Cut or Contain Materia in FFVII or a giant horde of Warp Spheres in FFX within 2 hours of starting the game by knowing exactly which NPC to talk to and play a minigame against for 10 minutes.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

TheHeadSage posted:

How much XIV music was there? They've been using some images from Heavensward in promo material, but I thought they'd just do the usual music and just continue to ignore the MMOs.

Susan Calloway was there and sang Dragonsong, Eyes on Me, and Answers.

Ronfaure from FFXI was also in the playlist.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The far more baffling design choice that always grated my gears in FF12 was how chests had a RANDOM CHANCE of giving you the loot you are looking for. That is to say, there is one chest under a rock in one of the grassy plain areas that has a legendary weapon in it...1 percent of the time. So you have to, if you wish to acquire this weapon, open the chest, leave the zone to reload it, reopen the chest, and repeat this 100 million loving times until the RNG gives you what you want. It's...it's...

it's very uncool and I did not like it.

The developer intent as told by a couple interviews was for players to just run with whatever item they got. They didn't want players to constantly restart/reload chests to farm them and the idea was to have players do what they could with what they got. Obviously this didn't happen.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
This version is from an indie band in Japan but I really like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G71OaGlaGGs

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The best endgame limit break in FFVIII (Angel Wing) requires magic to use anyway, so magic is still plenty strong.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I've always debated internally about what makes a boss hard. What should factor into it? Raw time battling? Time it takes to prepare for the fight? A guide used to optimize strategy? Because under certain metrics, different bosses demand different amounts of time, effort, and strategy to beat. Like for example, if a boss's difficulty is measured solely by time and decisions made in battle, nearly all FFX superbosses are trivial because of Yojimbo, but that's clearly not a good measure of their difficulty.

My contender is early Tantarian in FFIX. The boss has a strategy to have an easy time, but because of the time pressure during that segment, even if you're using a guide, there's no guarantee that you'll have the skills necessary to do it.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Covok posted:

Semi-unrelated, but I'd love a JRPG that took Xenosaga's combat menu system mixed with Legend of Dragon's addition system so that every attack is basically a fighting game combo system. For those who don't remember, Xenosaga had you make a "combo" by selecting attacks in order. I found that a really fun system that had a lot of potential. Legend of Dragoon had an addition system where, when you attacked, you had to make quick time events to add additional attacks depending on your equipped addition, with the change of the enemy trying to counterattack and requiring you to respond.

Mixing those two together could really be fun and help keep menu clicking engaging and allow for a lot of interesting attack combos.

The Valkyrie Profile and Project x Zone series do this. The character(s) have multiple attacks that you need to string together and your timing on how you combo them affects different mechanics depending on what you did. PxZ also shows why an RPG fighting game hasn't taken off yet, since the sheer number of times you need to do combos can be exhausting for some.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
It took a while for Dragon Quest to get the right balancing where every time you need to go from point A to point B, regardless of a world map trek or a dungeon spelunk it was not necessary to grind at all to survive. But this is a much harder type of JRPG since it heavily discourages hoarding and demands more in game knowledge to progress without grinding.

Final Fantasy has taken a different approach to the resource management where that's not at all a thing to worry about when traveling and instead they're more about treating specific encounters as challenges.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I always thought the purpose of the ATB system was to decrease strategy and force the player to make decisions quickly, hence why the games default to active and enemies keep attacking while scrambling through menus. FFIV-IX (and Chrono Trigger) were never really hard enough to demand players to really understand the system to get through the game, just a casual messing about with equipment/espers/materia/GFs/what have you would be enough to mash through the game. And that's what I think gave them a lot of appeal, it forced players to make a decision instead of going through endless decision paralysis about what to do each turn.

And then FFX rolls around, demanding much more of an understanding of mechanics to get through the game and it ditches the real time element.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
If CC was released on modern gens as a Diablo-like where you didn't have to have the entire party sit through story cutscenes and share a hometown I could see it being fine.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I meant it in the sense that you create rooms just looking for up to 3 other people to join and then do 3 dungeons together for the chalice filling cycle as opposed to endless loot grinding.

With online gaming as it is now, even for consoles, that would eliminate the hardware restriction of the GBAs and cables and still let everyone micro manage their menu without pausing it for everyone.

Like PSO, Dragon's Nest and other games of that kind.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Rikku was my primary healer in game because Al Bhed potions were AoE healing and a good variety of status cleansing. She also gets a store bought weapon with Alchemy with makes it even better.

Kimahri ended up being my backup healer because he went and grabbed Use/Steal as well.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Use it to give Yuna copycat and then have Kimahri, Rikku, and Yuna just copycat Holy and Al Bhed potions.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The time limit is terrible because it doesn't give you an estimate of how much time you should take to play the game "normally."

Time constraints are fine when they give the player a sense of a deadline and the game also provides general tools in order to plan their way to that deadline without blindly fumbling about and just hoping that they're on track. LR does not do this. It doesn't matter how generous the time limit actually is if the player doesn't get clued into their relative progress especially when the consequence for failure is so huge.

The Persona series does this through multiple smaller deadlines for specific dungeons so the player can never get too far behind pace.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
From my memories of playing the game, Hope tells you that besides the five main quests, there's also some ambiguous amount of side quests that you also need to do in order to progress. That's the part that annoyed me mostly since I didn't have any idea how much was enough in between the main ones.

Edit: I just looked it up and side quests are completely unnecessary. Does the game/Hope ever straight up tell you that? Because if it did and I missed it, then I don't have an issue with the timer. But I really don't remember the game ever saying that it's just the main quests that are necessary.

Hyper Inferno fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 3, 2018

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
But does the game ever give reassurance that you only need to beat the main quests to get to the ending? I vaguely remember Hope talking about the combined energy thing and interpreted that to mean that you needed to do X amount of side quests to even get the ending, not just a bonus dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
From what I remember, FFXIII isn't hard enough to require fine control over all three characters. So while it might be nice from a general gameplay feel perspective, it still gets the job done.

That being said, I do recall at least one encounter type where having strict control would be better than what the AI does. It's right around when you unlock Ruinga on Lightning and its a fight with a bunch of Sahagins. If you spam Ruinga (which the game will never auto select), you can stunlock the enemies with the explosions, but you're limited to just doing it with one character. If you could stagger Ruinga across all 3, I'm pretty sure you could stunlock them.