Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Teenage me: Final Fantasy is awesome
Old me: Final Fantasy is dumb but awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

The White Dragon posted:

FF6 Moogles are the One True Moogle. I will start a holy war over this

We are now enemies.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
IX has great art, world building and story(especially the first half) but I found the battle and skill systems really boring.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

NikkolasKing posted:

With VIII they were so proud of every animation that you were going to see them all in excruciating detail again and again and again.

When I replayed VIII I ended up using mostly Zell and Irvine because they had the shortest attack animations. All the female characters have some pointless flair to theirs and even Squall's slow run up to the enemies got tiresome after a while. Considering that most non-boss fights are easily beaten by autoattacking those tiny bits of extra animation really add up.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

esperterra posted:

i'm having deja vu

One ff thread in one subforum just isn't enough for how much I love talking about final fantasy ok.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Barudak posted:

Characterwise if you arent Laguna, Squall or Rhinoa youre not getting character development.

What about Zell's game-long quest for leftover cafeteria hotdogs while lowkey banging a librarian? Don't tell me that wasn't thrilling writing.

Echoing others in saying that VIII is a game of great moments that don't quite fit together right. It extends to the gameplay as well as story, (big old IMHO) the junction system was a really cool idea but horribly balanced. I'd say it's worth playing if you enjoy/don't mind ps1 era ff gameplay, as those setpieces and the excellent soundtrack make up for the overall messiness. Plus the craziness gets pretty funny if you don't take your games too seriously.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Why was Adel a giant buff dude despite being called a sorceress?

e: v a) it's kinda crazy that they put confirmation of Squall's parentage in one line of completely missable dialogue.

bloom fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 28, 2018

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Darth Walrus posted:

Adel just juiced a bunch. That tends to leave you without much in the chest department. Other than, y’know, massive pecs.

They got some crazy steroids in Esthar because s/he was like 4m tall.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Did Quistis get any characterization other than failing as an instructor for trying to bang her students? VIII was pretty awful with character development in general but Quistis must have been the worst. Either her or Irvine who does one thing 10 minutes after joining you and is irrelevant afterwards.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

lobster22221 posted:

I have not played 8, but I've heard the term time compression being thrown around. Could that be relevant?

Time compression is something that happens at the end of the game. There's nothing to suggest it's having any effect before, but there's probably some crazy fan theories about it.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

CeallaSo posted:

The ending shows that the entire game only happened because Squall chased Ultimecia back in time to the orphanage and implanted the idea of starting SeeD in Edea's head. The reason Cid knows that Squall is destined to lead Garden is because Edea told him as much after literally meeting the guy outside her home.

I forgot all about that.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
It's hard to hate on Irvine because there's nothing there. He barely counts as a character.

It would have been neat if Edea killed Irvine at the assassination attempt. Throw the bullet right back into his dumb cowboy face. Then come up with a new 6th character who maybe has something to do for the rest of the game.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

NikkolasKing posted:

The weird thing about the FFVIII Concert is there are two songs the band can serenade Squall and Rinoa with. There is a recurring motif throughout the game that is basically their love theme and that is one of the options for the band to play. HOWEVER, if you have the band play this song, Squall and Rinoa get into a fight and she runs away.

The other song choice is...an Irish jig. Not only do Squall and Rinoa not fight if this is playing, they both open up and talk more about themselves.

I watched a bit of some dude's first time VIII playthrough a while ago and he messed up the concert in a wonderful fashion. Every other character plays Eyes on Me but in the end Quistis comes in and starts playing that goddamn jig on a flute, ruining the concert and the date.

Funnily enough Quisty still being thirsty for Squall and sabotaging his date would have been more characterization than she actually got.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's canon that those guys are human-shaped monsters and Galbadia just has monsters on their hockey team because why the hell not - it comes up in their Scan data.

In that case VIII missed a chance to have a minigame even better than triple triad.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Actually difficult FF fights for someone going in blind: Wiegraf, Yunalesca and...?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Mega64 posted:

Solo Runs are kinda weird because half the time the game ends up easier since the one character is getting 3-5x the experience as normal (depending on the game's normal part size, of course) and the extra levels end up boosting the offense enough to wipe the floor with regular encounters. Of course, the main challenge is surviving all the instant death attacks that inevitably pop up, and doing the runs with weaker characters/jobs.

Low Level Runs are more insane and I've seen enough that I'm pretty confident I'll never try doing one.

It's apparently possible to beat FFX with solo Rikku, no leveling up, no overdrives and no no encounters. The dark aeons can also be done without leveling up.

The amount of grinding required for either seems ridiculous. I heard Anima described as "understatted" after 200 hours spent increasing her stats.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Bruceski posted:

Yeah it's not a lack of spheres that's the issue (after the earlygame when ability spheres basically don't exist), it's a lack of nodes. Looking ahead rather than behind (nothing obviously missed there) Wakka's getting 12 more strength (currently at 24) in the next 15 nodes, so that's going to bring his damage up. Also a lv3 lock right there for some more, so if one shows up in a chest or something (though I haven't even seen any lv2 yet) that'll be juicy.

iirc your first opportunity to get lvl3 sphere is the fight against Biran and Yenke on Gagazet. Might be worth it to use a whatever sphere to have Kimahri learn steal for that. Alternatively you can grind the big robot things in Zanarkand and Omega ruins.

e: I think you also get one for chocobo racing in Calm lands.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Bruceski posted:

That's quite a ways ahead of me. I just mentioned it as a note to myself if one came up, need to remember to keep an eye out for places I can dip into good nodes. A couple of stat points goes a long way in this game.

Yeah, if you're leveling normally you end up past the first lvl3 locks before you can open them. I'm guessing it's by design to introduce some choice to the system.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
If you wanna get technical Nova is the most damaging, not counting aeons. :eng101:

efb

bloom fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Apr 11, 2018

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I've never heard of a PS1 demo for FFX and a bit of googling brings up nothing but PS2 ones. Unless you mean they gave people a PS2 demo disc with a PS1 game which seems like an odd move.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I've never felt like I needed FF6 on my phone because I'm not a goddamn nerd.

Now here's why I think Tidus/Yuna is a good video game romance... 1/244

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I played all of FFT at launch on iOS with the terrible touchscreen controls (How you make grid based controls worse on a touch screen god knows)

I actually traded playstations for weeks with a friend because they had a chipped console and I didn't, and for whatever reason the only FFT copy in the neighborhood was NTSC rather than PAL. For a brief moment in the late 90s, a chipped playstation was the most desired object in our dumb little corner of the world.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Sakurazuka posted:

There was no PAL version of FFT is why

Well that makes sense. Still curious as to how an american copy ended up in Finland back in the day when every videogame was "a nintendo". Someone must have had a really cool dad.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Mr. Locke posted:

Spells for combat is actually really good. Magic is strong and you don't need nearly as many spells to just blow stuff up then you do to junction the stat boosts you need to attack your way through the game. Limit Break spam probably trumps it, but Limit Break spam trumps everything and is so accessible in 8 that you almost have to go out of your way to not break the game with it.

Of course, 8's real problem is that there's almost no way to empower yourself in the game without going out of your way somehow- even spellslinging generally requires taking a turn or two off every few fights to refresh your spell pack, even if you're running from most fights because there's almost no point to actually fighting 98% of random encounters in FFVIII, and you'll still want to get SOMETHING to junction- it just doesn't need to be a fat stack of powerful spells that you are better off throwing at your enemies.

You don't really need to restack spells that often. Pain is the 2nd (technically 3rd) best spell to junction into magic and you never need to cast it, which leaves all the major attack spells free or junctioned to less relevant stats. If you're using magic for offense, you shouldn't really care if that meteor you just dropped lowered your strength by 1. Unless you're using purely magic based offense on all 3 characters you're not going to burn through spells all that fast.

I'm pretty sure the reputation for magic being bad in VIII comes from people's ocd about having their numbers go down. That and of course limit break spam being ridiculously broken.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/ffvii_blazed/status/515921030603612161

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm not sure what the best balanced ones were, but FF8 and FF10 were definitely the worst. Magic is essentially worthless past a certain point in those games.

Not really unless you compare it to limit breaks in 8. In 10 it's only worthless in the postgame, for the actual story the balance is good.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Fister Roboto posted:

Well, we're talking about endgame. Also limit breaks are spammable in FF8 and don't cost you any resources, so they're just flat out superior.

Ah, I missed it was about endgame. Still if the question is between physical vs magic attacks I don't know if it's really fair to count limit breaks there.

If you compare normal physical attacks to spells in FF8 spells actually come out ahead. In damage that is, you'll want to use attacks anyway unless you really like those triple animations.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Adding shrimp to my list of underused fantasy species

Current list:
1. bears
2. shrimp

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Mega64 posted:

While we're at it bring back the beavers.

This is a Final Fantasy thread please do not discuss your pubic hair preferences here, tia.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
For real though why does no one ever do bear people? Centaurs are all over the place and I think there's a japanese law saying you have to have a cat hybrid person in your game, but there's never a bear dude defeating monsters with his bare hands.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Games › Final Fantasy Megathread - shrimp facts

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

lobster22221 posted:

Was that the lifa tree?

I barely remember any of the boss gimmicks, though I never fought the super boss.

Yeah that was 9's mandatory undead boss.

What was weirder were the tentacle monsters you fight along the way there that can be instakilled by throwing a soft at them, giving you the message "[monstername] became too soft to live" :flaccid:

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Kingtheninja posted:

Are there many undead bosses that can be one hit with a Phoenix down? The only one I knew of was the cosmo canyon guy in 7.

Off the top of my head 8 has the fake president on the train and the giant skeleton thing you fight on the way to Esthar. 10 has the unsent dragon you fight underwater in Bevelle.

I can't speak for the entire series, but at least during the ps1 era they really loved having an undead boss or two each game.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Fun fact of the day: The FF8 end credits get Quistis's name wrong, spelling it as Quisitis.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

The White Dragon posted:

he can... only get it up when someone is punching him????

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Barudak posted:

The second is adding puzzle mechanics, be it specific element patterns you need to hit, real and false targets, environmental factors etc. The “best” example of this in FF is probably Yunalesca whose three phases introduce a thing your party has to manage that builds off the previous phase and requires puzzling out how to apporach it.

In my books Yunalesca is a top tier fight for the series because it has a good gimmick without requiring you to make any special preparations.

For me personally something like Penance or the tougher dark aeons are essentially impossible, but that "difficulty" comes from the fact that I'll never have the patience to grind the required stats and gear to do those fights. It's a shame that so many challenge bosses follow that path(combined having a billion hp) rather than being something you can beat by figuring out a good strategy.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Maybe I'm a crazy person but I prefer playing a video game instead of watching a video game play itself.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Sure FF games have never had the most engaging gameplay, but the solution to that shouldn't be throwing your hands in the air and putting everything on autopilot. Gambits and such make it even worse as they just make it feel like they couldn't even be bothered to write decent AI and instead gave the job to the player.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Darth Walrus posted:

Maybe think of it like an RTS game? They fight, you give the orders.

I tried to approach XII like that but if you take it as an RTS it's just not very good. As much as I enjoy FF stories, I don't enjoy them enough to play it over one of the numerous better RTS games out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

ApplesandOranges posted:

Has Ultima been a good spell to cast in any game other than VI, actually? In II you have to grind it up, and in X you're probably better off using Flare.

It's kinda useful in FFX for wiping multiple enemies, but considering how late you get it it's more of a timesaver than a meaningful upgrade.