Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Honestly, I think that as far as desert environments go, ff12 did a decent job. Rabanastre especially conveys the dryness through clothing, palmtrees, and the structures. However, it isn't just a brown city. You've got a contrasting blue sky, colorful banners and store fronts, bright blue water, and healthy green plants.

The outer areas are more bland, but they still look and feel different from each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Sapozhnik posted:

drat, the FF12 PC version is a lot more fun than I remember the PS2 version being. Not sure I like the introduction of jobs much though, it was nice to give somebody the ability to cure without completely and utterly crippling their ability to attack in the early game.

I do wish there was an option at startup to choose license mode.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm waiting for the mod to restore Vaan's PS2 abs.

I don't remember Vaan having abs, just some marker on his stomach.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Your Computer posted:

Oh yeah while we're still talking about FFXII, everyone who said the game had god-tier voice acting were just high on nostalgia right

It could be a lot worse. A HA HA HA HA HA HA.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Your Computer posted:

See, this is why I'm asking. I've seen it told so many times that turning on the Japanese voices is the biggest videogame crime of the century because then you'll miss out on the best voice acting ever produced.

and I'm uh, not seeing it :v:

Most of the acting is just so-so with a good points here and there, but I think the parts people enjoy are Cid and Gilgamesh. They have an energy the rest of the game is lacking. I'd argue Vayne does pretty well too. Also Balthier. Balthier's acting is exactly what the character needs.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Sakurazuka posted:

He's not in a ton but Al-Cid steals every scene he is in

I had forgotten about Al-Cid

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
I used it as an example because it is a famous one. While the laughing itself is supposed to be bad, the scene around it is still is not good. Regarding whether or not the bad dumb is because of the actors or the voice director(it probably is the latter. Like people mentioned, there are some really good voice actors in the English version), it doesn't change the fact that I disliked the voice overs presented by the game.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Bloodplay it again posted:

How do I beat the Trickster (jerk invisible Chocobo) hunt in XII? I got really, really close once but white wind is just negating everything and I can't tell which magic will actually damage it. Is it just random which element to use? Everything I'm throwing at it just heals it for 300-400 HP. I know that as soon as a spell actually does damage, the element changes to something else, but all I can seem to do at very low HP is heal it until it picks everyone off one by one. Do I need to save my quickenings until ~50% HP and then hope I can get a 9-10 hit combo to take it out before white wind is cast?

Do you have any non-elemental spells?

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah gambits would work better if they were sets you could actively build around and swap to as needed relatively to enemy actions. Shifting the paradigm of your strategies as it were.

For all of its flaws, final fantasty 13 actually had some good ideas.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Barudak posted:

Nope, you never get your own airship, despite you riding in one earlier and it being a major goal of the party. Instead you can buy airship tickets which exist solely to a) be a place for a hunt to happen at and b) a shop that for some unfathomable reason is where you buy all the teleport stones your heart desires and c) inefficiently teleport you to places you've been.

And a really weird sidequest.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

Of course, this being FFXIII, even though he's supposed to learn the lesson that reckless actions, no matter how noble, can still be a bad thing, the party ends up saving the world through reckless, thoughtless actions.

Basically, "heroes don't need plans" is the motto of FFXIII's plot so I say that Snow was right all along.

Does that mean that the real lesson is that you are only a hero if you have super powers?

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

FF13 is one of the most maddeningly uneven games I've ever played. There are certain elements that are done very well, some very poorly, and they're all bound up with each other. It's not a bad game but it has a lot of structural problems that you'll find yourself wanting to fix while you play it.

As a setup for Lightning Returns however, it is excellent.

When I played it, I always thought ff13 was a bad game with good ideas. By the sounds of it, the fixed a lot of the gameplay flaws in the seqeuels, while completely changing the story in weird ways.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

A lot of the ideas were there, they just didn't see fit to tell us much about them.

I'm never going to forgive XIII for the main story telling us plainly there was a God who made humans and fal'Cie and that was the end of it. Simple, right? Well it turns out that God wasn't God, it was Lindzei. Who the gently caress is Lindzei? He's the creation of the actual God who isn't really God because his mom existed before him or something. Also Lindzei only technically made humans, it was Etro who really made them with her blood or something but Lindzei was maybe involved so it doesn't totally render everything Cid told us false.

They had this elaborate mythology in the background of XIII that really doesn't matter at all except it does because Etro is the one who saves the heroes at the end and apparently she's the one who sent the Eidolons to them, too. But gently caress if I would have ever known that, I thought Cid was the one explaining the cosmology to us because he correctly outlines the entire motivation and scheme of XIII's Big Bad. But he's pretty off to such a huge extent that this entire cutscene misrepresents everything about the FNC mythos.

This was all done so badly that Square had to make a special trailer thing to explain the mythology to coincide with XIII-2 being released because XIII-2 deals intimately with everything I just discussed but XIII-1 totally failed to convey any of this like I also noted.

I don't even know how address how weird that is, so I am just going to assume the ff13 writings were on something and move on.

I was mostly refering to what I remember of the gameplay. I liked the party autonomy, and the ability to queue up abilities. The paradigm system letting you switch you're entire party's setup was great.

The ability to instantly die if your party leader dies was a huge dealbreaker to me, as well as the linearity of the crystalrium(for each class) They might as well have done level ups automatically.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Feb 11, 2018

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

corn in the bible posted:

Yes. Truly, Fran's ridiculous outfit shows she is strong and independent and not designed to arouse. Yes. 100%.

I think you are misunderstanding the point of what they are saying. Yeah, its a dumb outfit designed to arouse horny teenagers. The admiration is in the animation and attitude she displays while wearing it.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Your Computer posted:

oh yeah, xenoblade chronicles 2, a game noted for its good character design

Holy crap! I am 99% sure that back is at an exact 90 degree angle. If you made the lower back longer and added legs at the front, you could turn her into a centaur

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

seiferguy posted:

I read in one guide that you need to beat Ultima first before you can get the Excalibur in the great crystal. Is that true? I know that you needed to do the first part and get Reddas before you can get the rest of the good stuff.

Yeah, but only Ultima 1. You don't need to beat the sequels.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Cronodoculous posted:

Good news: I found the Zodiac Spear on my third time entering the zone it spawns in! It's a 1% chance to spawn each time you load so I was pretty stoked.

Bad news: I kept going in that area and died, because the enemies there will teleport to you and instantly attack, and never stop chasing you. And the save it made when I entered the area didn't save the fact that there was a Zodiac Spear spawned. It took me a full hour to get it to spawn again.

My story is nowhere near as impressive/saddening, but that reminded me of when I was doing the white flan hunt. The monster itself isn't too bad, but apparently squeenix decided that it would be funny to put a water elemental right next to, so it was nearly impossible to fight one without aggroing the other. At one point I had finally managed to kill it, only to draw the aggro of the elemental right after. Slowly my party died as I tried to escape.

Did square up the aggresiveness of the elementals in the PC version? I don't remember them bothering you unless you attacked them.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Schwartzcough posted:

Nah, they would aggro on you for casting any magic near them, even if it was just casting protect on yourself or something.

Ah that would do it then. Those things are scary.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

You can make every character a white mage if you so desire (but I think you can't take the same job twice on a character).

Yeah, but can you make all of your party members white mages and beat Chaos at minimum level?

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

seiferguy posted:

Job system generally makes the game easier. Black magic is super useful and easy since when you nuke people with it, you can get abilities that replenish it for hurting and killing things.

Machinist is kind of useless, though. Save for the weapon being able to hit enemies in the air.

The wiki is saying the zodiac versions allow you to hit air units with pole arms and spears, is that accurate?

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Ainsley McTree posted:

Ultimately I think I prefer the judges of FF:TA

I can't look badly on anyone with pet birds.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

ApplesandOranges posted:

What's your take on Tactics then, friend

Probably my favorite game about people without noses.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Say what you will about Sephiroth.... he wasn't very good at acupuncture.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

esperterra posted:

Now, now. Don't be silly.

They're equally good. That's why I count them as one game whenever I make a list of my fave games.

(CT is undeniably a better made game and way more concise and polished, but I think CC makes up for being a bit sloppy and overcrowded b/c it has dope ideas, amazing music and visuals. It's just executed badly-- especially the exposition dump at the end that explains everything. Def could have been handled better!)

I definitely prefer Trigger's focus. Each character having a more well defined and unique use seems better than each character having 3 unique spells(half of which are just damage spells) and maybe a gimmick if they are lucky. There are some characters that I'd guess nobody ever uses.

Still, I love the islands setting. The ps1 graphics have not aged as well as Triggers incredible spritework, but the art direction is great so it still has some parts that are pretty. Both games have incredible soundtracks too.

If Square were to make a new Chrono series entry, where would it's story even go? CT covered Time, and Cross covered Space.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Mega64 posted:

You give me a voodoo doll, a luchador, a sentient flower person, a baby dragon, a cyborg, a sentient turnip person, and multiple drunks, and tell me I can only use two of them?

What the gently caress, Chrono Cross.

3 on ng+ isn't it?

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
I still never got why they went with a half-assed enviormental/anti-humanity message in places. I know it had something to do with the dragons, but it was really dumb.

I love Cross(Just not as much as Trigger), but it has so many questionable decisions.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Onmi posted:

Zed, Square is Japanese. They don't give a gently caress.

They are also a large company launching an expensive remake of what could be considered a flagship product(in terms of recognition) of a flagship series to an international audience.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
I liked crystal chronicles and tactics.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Worth noting that Hiroaki Sakaguchi is doing a ff6 livestream right now. It isn't translated though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7jpiuIoqXE

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Onmi posted:

Yeah turns out most "Developers be CRAZY" stories are usually things taken extremely out of context, typically because it's read in text form and not viewed. It's very clear when watching the actual interview, from the fact they're laughing about it like "Hey man remember that time I saw Les Mis and couldn't get it out of my head, Ha HA" and less "Okay let's scrap all our work and make it like Les Mis."

Well, its more interesting than "So I spent 2 days figuring out why the game is crashing, it ends up I was forgot to initiate a pointer. I fixed it by changing one line of code" Gamedev is work done by people like anything else, and you get stories just like anywhere else.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
one of the hardest achievments in the game: Kill a boss with a aga spell.

CC and tactics might be the only games in the series where upgraded black magic spells are not worth it.

Edit: Though I guess they are worth it with calculator. But at that point you've basically won the game.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 1, 2018

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

The White Dragon posted:

CC was sooooo worth using combined magic. Especially on bosses, who were generally slower and more stationary (except the very first boss in the entire game lol) so you'd hit multiple times--I think the -aga spells can do four hits. Melee and charge for mobs, magic for bosses.

Ah really? I remember them being hard to sync up with other players. Then again, I was the only yuke.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
I don't remember ff3 being too bad, except the final dungeon. I should pick it up and try that mod out.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 2, 2018

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Seems straightforward enough. I don't see where people get confused.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
You should see what sephiroth does with his sword for aerith.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

mandatory lesbian posted:

FF has plenty of men loving men, for instance, i ship Warrior and Black belt

Warrior one true ship is swordchucks

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

pasaluki posted:

According to the Palazzo Principle the fruitier someone is dressed the more likely they are to emerge as a Final Fantasy antagonist or protagonist.

Except Yuna in X. She was probably one of the most normal looking people in that game. Including NPC's

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
So, any guesses on what ff16 will be like?

Also, how many ff games are there, including spinoffs and sequels, but not remakes?

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Barudak posted:

Does it need to have Final Fantasy in the title in all markets? Because the Final Fantasy Legend series is gonna gently caress everything up

Good point. I'd say go for games that were marketed with the final fantasy name in japan. Even if they were not elsewhere.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Worse, Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon doesn't have FF in the name in any market!

Ah poo poo. Include those too.

Edit 2: Just to start a potential list, we have:

ff 1-15 (15)
after years(16)
x-2(17)
13-2, 13-3(19)
tactics, A1, A2, and I guess there was some kind of phone game? (23)
Crystal chronicles, echoes of time, my life as a king (26)
dissidia, duodecim, and I think NT (29)
Someone mentioned chocobo mystery dungeon, but I don't know the games in the series (30+)
brave exodus, did it have a sequel? (31++)
type-0 (32++)

What am I missing?

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
~~Was mystic quest actually final fantasy in JP?~~ looks like it.

Additions to a subseries will be marked by a star for each additional title.

+ means an unknown number of entries in a subseries
? means it has questionable status under the final fantasy franchise.

ff 1-15 (15)
after years(16)
x-2(17)
13-2, 13-3(19)
tactics, A1, A2, and I guess there was some kind of phone game? (23)
Crystal chronicles, echoes of time, my life as a king crystal bearers(27)*
dissidia, duodecim, and I think NT (30)
Someone mentioned chocobo mystery dungeon, but I don't know the games in the series (31+)
brave exodus, did it have a sequel? (32 +x2)
type-0 (33++)
Chocobo Racing(34++)
Final Fantasy: Dimensions 1 and 2(36 +x2)
TheatRythm Final Fantasy(39 +x2)
World of Final Fantasy(40 +x2)
final fantasy fables(41 +x2)
mystic quest(42 +x2 )
revenant wings(43 +x2)
4 heroes of light(44 +x2)
I would say add on content like dawn of souls would not count.

Quickly looking up Ergheiz, It seems like it wasn't marketed as an actual franchise entry. I would not include kingdom hearts either.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 8, 2018