Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

ApplesandOranges posted:

Friendly Yan makes Ozma a lot more tolerable, but there are reasons why he still screws so many people over.

1. Curse inflicts Mini on everyone with a 100% success rate. Since you can't block the status, you have to cure it either using Mini or Angel's Snack, or using Remedies manually. You can also Trance to cure it, but the chances of everyone Trancing at the same time is really low, and if, say, one character Trances and three don't, you have to cure each of them manually if you're not using Angel's Snack. The upside is that some characters don't care much about Mini (Zidane, Freya, and Quina).

2. Meteor can screw you up no matter what level you are, since the damage is random. Your only means of protecting yourself from it is simply getting more HP. Shell doesn't even work.

3. Ozma has a unique speed system. While it gets turns like any other enemy, it also instantly fills its ATB gauge immediately before a character's turn, and it will attack before that character. So if you input commands for 4 characters, that's 4 attacks, and a 5th and possibly 6th one before you can heal up. The only way to avoid it is if you input commands during Ozma's attack's animations. While you can do this for some, like Doomsday or Meteor, some attack animations are so short you can barely get off 1 (like Curse).

Geez, I never realized the mechanics behind how difficult Ozma is but now it makes complete sense why I had so much trouble beating him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

And the mere act of summoning the aeon isn't what kills you. I'm pretty sure it's Yu Yevon possessing the Final Aeon that results in the summoner's death.

No, not quite. The final aeon is what kills the summoner. It's just that after the final aeon defeats Sin, Yu Yevon then comes forth and possesses the final aeon in order for Sin to be reborn. That occurs right after both Sin and the summoner dies I thought.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

The game doesn't really specify. The best we get is Rikku saying the Final Aeon is going to kill Yuna.
This could mean a couple things. it could indirectly kill her by the simple exertion of its summoning. Or it could mean it turns around and squishes her flat.

I always thought it was the second option. After Sin is destroyed, Yu Yevon possesses the aeon and uses it to kill the summoner.

Hmmm yeah. You are right in that the game doesn't provide enough certainty to know one way or the other. I kind of like the idea of Yu Yevon being the actual reason it happens though. I always thought the Final Aeon killed the summoner because unlike the other Aeons it is very much out of control once summoned. I assumed that because of how Jecht lost control after transforming, but that still doesn't make it perfectly clear.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 7, 2012

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Belzac posted:

Can we stop with this jRPG trend of AI party members? Please? It's not good. If you're going to do this at least make it actiony (Tales, SO) and not menu driven.

I enjoy actiony RPGs quite a bit myself, but I also have always loved the turn based/menu focused combat system that the FF series provides in its various forms throughout the years. It is a big part of what makes a final fantasy game imo. I don't want them to throw that away. There are plenty of other action RPG games to choose from if I am not in the mood for what FF delivers.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Not "Final Fantasy only" related, but I thought this news was worth posting in here.

Square Enix Licenses Unreal Engine 4

I am pretty happy about this.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The Introvert posted:

Oh good, they won't spend half of the next generation making a complicated engine for one game. Hopefully.

I guess they're just going to use it for side-projects like Last Remnant? I mean, they made a big deal of that Luminous Engine a while back, so Final Fantasy XV or whatever is probably being made on that.

The short answer to your question is we don't know. I am personally hoping that that future project designs which have not already been committed to using a different in house engine will focus on UE4. SE openly admitted that the amount of time and resources that went into their engine for FF XIII was overwhelming. It would be nice if this license is their first big step towards fixing the past mistake and going back to making great JRPGs with good stories. I'm not over blowing my expectations yet or anything, but evidence is evidence.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Ross posted:

I have heard that FF13-2 is "good" yet it has an even lower score on Game Rankings than FF13. What should I make of this?

I really liked 13 so I'll probably pick it up for all of $20 regardless.

Odds are if you enjoyed 13 then you will like 13-2 just as much and probably more. That seems to be the general consensus as well as my personal experience with the game. Definitely worth $20.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

1st AD posted:

Square is so loving retarded sometimes it's infuriating. Why don't they just license somebody's engine and save a buttload of time and money on development? Every time there's a new platform coming they seem to sink so many resources into a proprietary engine that nobody else ever uses.

Square Enix Licenses Unreal Engine 4

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I want SE to license engines for everything from now on so that they can go back to doing what they do best which is making fun JRPGs with amazing stories. Licensing and engine is no guarantee that would happen of course, but I think it would increase the chances by quite a bit.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

1st AD posted:

They've used Unreal 3 in previous games, but I imagine they'll be really dumb and not use it on their flagship titles.

That is possible but considering how much SE has been publicly placing FF XIII's blame on the complexity and time intensive development of their latest engine that might not be the case this time around. It's no guarantee but it is more hopeful than usual.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Aureon posted:

That's why the internet was created.

FF IX was released in 2000. The web as we know it today was a baby back then and I don't believe that there were any sites which guided people to that elusive ocean chocograph (I wasn't aware of any at least). I remember playing it back then and searching for the drat thing. It eventually hit me that the odds of it being off the coast of an island was far more probable than some random point deep in the ocean which is how I eventually found it, but man...that took a long time.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Veib posted:

Gamefaqs was launched near the end of 1995, and when I started using it in 1998 it already had tons of stuff for big games like Final Fantasy.

I think I first discovered that site in 2001 or 2002. It was harder to learn about sources like that back then. That was back when if you said "world wide web" a lot of people would go "huh? Oh you mean AOL". In any case, I think part of me is happy that I found the ocean chocograph all on my own anyways. :)

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

It can sometimes feel tedious if you choose to get as many of them as possible all at once. I usually do that because I enjoy taking my time to get the best stuff before moving on to the next part of the game, but there have been playthroughs where I chose to go back whenever I felt like it instead.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

ApplesandOranges posted:

You must hate FFXII then. Hi Yiazmat, Hell Wyrm, Omega, Zodiark (and to an extent, Ultima and The Undying).

He makes a good point though. I think it is good that encounters test a player's ability to overcome a challenge that is repetitious to a point because that improves the odds that you won due to skill/strategy and not just luck. That plus it tests your ability to manage resources. However, there comes a point where the player passed the test and you are just kind of waiting around repeating whatever strat you put together until the boss's HP reaches zero. It stops being fun once that point is reached. Please note that this argument has little to do with the actual length of the encounter. I have experienced encounters in RPGs where I felt this problem exists starting at 10 minutes as well as only after 20 minutes has passed. It usually depends on how dynamic the encounter is as the battle progresses.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

W.T. Fits posted:

Speaking of release dates, any word on Kingdom Hearts 3? Presumably, after they get that spat out, they might actually get around to doing something with Versus.

Last I heard, and I don't recall where from, the idea was that they would finish Versus and then move on to KH3. Take that with a grain of salt though.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Fingers McLongDong posted:

This is a weird question, but in FF9 when you advance disks, does the game require you to use previous disks to return to other areas for side quests? I know other games did and it's been a very long time since I last played 9. I'm replaying it using an android ps1 emulator and I want to be able to delete the giant rom files for each disk as I'm done with them to conserve memory space on my phone.

Last time I played FF9 it was also using an emulator and I never had to switch back to a previous disk file to do anything.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

Well in FFX at least the religion is portrayed somewhat sympathetically. The leaders were corrupt but they felt they were doing the best thing to preserve at least some level of happiness in Spira.

I always did kinda liked that all the antagonists in FFX felt they were doing the right thing for the world and its people. They were just power for powers sake baddies who killed for no real reason.

Yeah, I really enjoyed that too. Although, it did always throw me off that the fayth didn't just tell at least the summoners that there is an alternative method of defeating sin which mostly involves being good with a sword and having the power to summon all of the aeons. They made it clear towards the end of the game during a conversation with Tidus that they knew how to permanently defeat Yu Yevon. Why they hid that for so long baffles me, but it is just a game and the story would not have been nearly as awesome otherwise.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

FFX is the same way because Tidus is all about "but I want everything!" and that turns out to be teh right way. I think all FFX was saying was that you should think before you sacrifice yourself. The game was really about how Yuna's sacrifice would have been dumb and pointless but Tidus' was correct because the party actively tried to find an alternative.

I'm not so sure it is quite that simple. They tried to beat Sin in other ways, but nothing ever worked. The people of Spira were battling Sin for years using more weapons and strategies than just the final aeon. The Crusaders and Al Bhed are proof of that. The issue that they were facing is that no method that they tried was able to break Sin's outer shell except the final aeon. Over the course of many years, the people of Spira, like people everywhere, end up adapting the best that they can which in their case is to rely on the summoners bringing them the Calm. These are a people who have been mentally shattered by all of the suffering they endure. Clinging on so dearly to the only thing that brings you peace even temporarily in that kind of situation seems like a natural thing to do to me.

At least, that was my impression.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I would use Kimahri if I had access to his blue magic at all times and his overdrive allowed the player to cast an upgraded version of their Blue Magic spell of choice for free. Sorta like Lulu's overdrive except the "upgrade" would be more interesting than repeating the spell over and over.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I think I may be one of the last people who is still looking forward to Versus, doesn't think it is vaporware, and has reasonable hope that it will be enjoyable (or at least that I will personally find it enjoyable). At the same time, I am prepared for the worst and fully understand why others mock it regularly. I just figure that I have very little to lose by remaining somewhat optimistic if I already know that any feelings of disappointment will be short lived.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

Say what you want about Versus 13 but at the moment it is completely vaporware.

As a point: It was announced before the PS3 was available. As a PS3 exclusive. Yesterday they announced the Playstation 4 after what is generally considered an abnormally long development cycle. Even if it is announced and comes out this year? That's loving crazy.

Yeah..crazy, but that would also eliminate its vaporware status/rumor/whatever. It doesn't matter because I have nothing to lose like I said. Some people(not saying this is you) get up in arms over those who opt to be slightly more optimistic even when acknowledging the probabilities and facts present. Not sure why.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

So this thing was just brought to my attention for the first time:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VII_(Famicom)

Was an English version ever made?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Red Baron posted:

I'm about to start playing 9 for the first time ever, and it's been a long time since I played through a JRPG so I may be a little rusty, but I think I'll get my groove back pretty quickly. I'm going to try to see as much of the game (if not all of it) that I can in one go, but is there anything I need to be aware of before I go in? Any advice of any type?

One of the good things about FF9 is that there is hardly any missable items that are unique and practically no content that you can miss, but if even if the small stuff bothers you then I recommend performing the search "FF9 missable items" and see if there is anything which concerns you. The only two pieces of content which come to mind is racing Hippaul and the jump rope mini games. So, look those up and decide whether or not you care. There is equipment which is not unique that you can miss out on getting early and that equipment does sometimes allow you learn certain abilities early as well. Only a guide will help you avoid that though.

Mostly, just enjoy it without worry. :)

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Suaimhneas posted:

Also ignore the card game, it sucks

I liked it. :colbert:

But since this began with someone new to the game asking questions, I will say that it is entirely unnecessary. You do not get anything for participating in the card game which is used in any other part of the game so if you enjoy the game itself or the pokemon "gotta catch'em all" feeling it might create then have a blast. Otherwise, you can safely ignore it.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I actually grinded the Robe of Lords as early as possible playing Chocobo Hot & Cold once. I will NEVER do that again but holy crap..Vivi was invincible.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The Bandit passive skill greatly improves your chances and you get it really early on (if you're stealing things that is)

Yeah this helps a lot. Even with all of the skills which increase steal success rate the rarest steal on monsters (especially bosses) can still be very painful, but that is only useful if you want to min/max throughout the entire game. No need for that if your intent is to power up Thievery.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I played FF7 again not too long ago all the way through and maxed out quite a bit of materia. It wasn't just as awesome as it used to be but I still found it to be very fun and it kept me engaged.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The White Dragon posted:

Well the trick to that fucker is, because of his top speed formula, you can never choose the Long track and you gotta cut him off in the first half of the race. He still uses the same behavior as a regular aggressive jockey, though, so if you sprint the latter half, he won't be able to catch up to you on account of his sprint being scripted. He'll come in a "close" but guaranteed 2nd about three seconds after you do.

This works consistently for me on everything except when I use a green chocobo (or maybe it was blue...I forgot). For some reason, their ability to sprint at the end half just doesn't work out as well. It might be my perception, but it also seems that certain chocobos will experience some sort of resistance while sprinting during that segment at the end which looks like some sort of space wind tunnel. That is what makes it hard for me. Otherwise, your strat works and I still use it while just hoping for the best.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Twelve by Pies posted:

I want to be excited for XV, I really do, but I just do not like action RPGs, never have. I know we don't know any specifics about XV's battle system but I remain pessimistic. It looks neat, but if it's a real-time battle system I'm just not going to enjoy playing it.

I know, I know, I'm weird. I'll just sit in the corner with my Dragon Quests.

It's not weird, but you are probably right. If you dislike real-time action RPGs that much then FF XV's battle system probably won't appeal to you regardless of that system's details.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Loving Life Partner posted:

The only bad part of FFX is the "gently caress you, :spergin: players," they put in by not having unused characters gain experience and sphere points.

Every battle was at least twice as long because of that ...

Yeah, I always swap them all out and at least make them defend just so everyone gets the AP. Except Kimahri because well...Kimahri. I wish everyone just got the AP and that was that.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Paracelsus posted:

Kimahri and Lulu are kinda marginal, especially since Kimahri is just plain bad as a combat character and Lulu's overdrive drastically drops off in usefulness as the game progresses in comparison to most, so you tend to forget about them. There's sort of a reason they're there ("Yuna has a bunch of guardians"), but the plot would progress basically the same if they weren't and they don't get much development.

I don't know. I liked Lulu's involvement quite a bit. I don't think that her personal story plot was all that much, but she added a lot to character development and personalities of the others. That made her very important in my eyes.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Saigyouji posted:

I actually played Parasite Eve for the first time a couple of months back. I enjoyed it, but jesus christ it was clunky as hell.

I played it shortly after it first came out. I remember not feeling that way when playing it and loving the game, but I replayed it a little over a year ago and plenty of things stood out to me. Makes sense of course given the progression of gaming. It is just a shame that so little has been done with it.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Defiance Industries posted:

Agreed. As a stand-alone game it's quite good, but I can see picking it up after you were a big fan of the first one and being totally put off by the massive departure in style.

This is exactly what happened to me. I loved the original game's combat system, but couldn't stand it in this game. I felt like I had more strategic control in the first game which was much more fun.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

An old fashioned level system offers the player no choice in terms of stat or skill allocation. The Crystarium offers more choices than that and the Sphere Grid offers a lot more choices than either one of those systems. If Spoony wants to argue that the choices are not enough for him and list his reasons then that is one thing, but to call it pointless and equal to an old fashioned level system is a blatant logical fallacy.

This is coming from someone who didn't care for the Crystarium much either mind you. I love the sphere grid though.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Barudak posted:

Its only near end game when you have the sphere keys to unlock the sideroutes that there is a possibility of deviation.

This is only true about level 4 key spheres. You get plenty of level 1-3 throughout the game. It is true that once the grid is maxed out that most characters feel the same, but that only happens at end game well beyond the point that it even matters for most people unless you are shooting for some serious overkill.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

If Zidane's personality is considered creepy then I think it is finally time to take a step back and reevaluate where the line is drawn between creepy and not creepy in a video game. I think that some people are casting too wide of a net lately. Zidane is not creepy for the reasons others have cited here.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

There is a difference between being a big flirt and playful vs being creepy. Zidane is easily one of the biggest flirts in FF history but he rarely takes things too far and the times that he does really are not that bad for a 16 year old especially since those instances are very few. That doesn't make his character or any teen a perverted creep for having done so in their life. This is exactly what I mean by casting too wide of a net.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

Summons are never going to go away but they're hard as hell to make interesting without just making them replace another mechanic entirely. Basically I feel like the best thing you could do with summons is the FFXIII-2/Lufia-2 style "make them an extra-customizable/changable party member" or something like that.

I like the idea of them being some kind of transformation that you fully control in FF XV. That or a temporary replacement since your character transforming into a summoned creature probably doesn't make sense in the story. I loved the different transformations in KH2 so something along those lines would make me happy. I didn't care for KH2's summons much though.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Is Awful Fantasy 3 any good to people that weren't paying attention to forum drama in the early 00's? I've had it forever but never fired it up because I figured it was 80% in-jokes.

The short answer is yes.

There are a lot of jokes like this in the game, but I still found them to be pretty funny most of the time even when I wasn't "in the know". I looked a few things up in SAclopedia as I was playing which made them even funnier, but most were very enjoyable even without doing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Barudak posted:

If you're not well versed on the lore of SA/have played FF6 before certain things can be a tad confusing. The clock puzzle in Zozo for instance requires some by now esoteric SA knowledge. The reward though is a tool which basically oneshots the games difficulty so fair is fair

Yeah if you have not played through the FF6 before then don't play Awful Fantasy. The experience won't be all that great. I forgot about Zozo. That one is tricky but I don't recall anything else being cryptic like that. People can always post here with questions if necessary.