Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

C-Euro posted:

To start us off- I've heard it mention in a few places that oftentimes one's favorite Final Fantasy is the first one they ever played. How many of you are guilty of this? FF6 was the first one I played and it remains one of my favorite games of all time, so I've fallen into that trap.

That's just a coincidence because you happened to play the best one first. My first Final Fantasy was the original, and my favorite is 6. 4 was my sentimental favorite for a long time because I have great memories of being 10 years old and playing it with my mom and my little sisters, but 6 is obviously the better game in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

Yes.

I would not recommend it. Emulate III for NES instead.

Are you the FF14 goon who convinced me to give FF3 for Famicom a shot after I mentioned how poo poo it was on DS? It was definitely better than the DS version, if only because I could use save states and fast forward, but even abusing the poo poo out of those features it was still one of the most frustrating games I've ever played. It actually would have been a really solid game if they'd broken apart Eureka, the Crystal Tower, and the Dark World. Or even just put a save spot (and added tents) in the Dark World.. I can't believe the DS version stayed so true to the original.

It was interesting to see the beginning of almost every staple of the series though. I always assumed things like summons, chocobos, moogles, and all the other little FF touches had kind of built up slowly between FF1 and 6 but instead found they all started with 3. Now I've just gotta finish 5, 8, 10, 12, and 13 to have finished the entire main series.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

I'm working on finishing all of the main FF games that I never finished back in the day, started with 3 and just finished 5 and now I'm moving on to 8. Jumping from the amazing FF5 to the uneven mess that is FF8 is really disorienting. I can't believe there was a time when hideous PSX RPGs with their insane load times seemed really awesome. The music is still hella good though, and some of the cutscenes have held up better than I ever expected.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Blackheart posted:

I think Exdeath even uses the same viscera taunt twice.

Yep, the second time I was thinking I'd read that exact line somewhere before and then I remembered it was also Exdeath. It's a pretty good taunt but if you're going to be evil you need to come up with more and rotate them.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Attitude Indicator posted:

how much of this mess do you need to pay attention to?

Basically none of it. That's a shitload of mods opened up to try to make the screen look as cluttered as possible, and not a single one of them is necessary in the slightest. If you're an insane sperglord raider trying to get worldfirst raid kills you might need some mods, but nothing like that screenshot.

FFXIV is a really decent MMO but it does have a pretty bad UI, you're not wrong about that. It's not excessively bad by MMO standards though.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

You're playing the best game released on a home console since MGS4, and you spent money on it. :smug:

Mgs4 was not very good though. Then again, all console games are bad except NIntendo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Clarste posted:

I can't remember anything about FF12 because whenever I try to play it, or watch someone else play it, it puts me to sleep. Literally. I cannot stay awake long enough to pay attention to what's going on. It's incredibly good at that though.

That reminds me that I actually literally fell asleep while playing FF12 as well. I turned it off and took a nap and never played again, might have been insomnia issues that caused me to be that tired rather than the game but still.