Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Attitude Indicator posted:

zodiac version of 12 will be out in a couple of months and looks like it'll be the definitive version of the game.

I'm not really a big fan of FF12, but i'll check out the zodiac version just for the remastered music since FF12 has an awesome soundtrack.

:agreed: and I'm super excited for remastered music and HD graphics but will it also have the International Zodiac version license boards

IIRC it's really easy to pick a non-optimal combination of jobs and basically lock yourself out of some of the postgame content

I'm not even sure how you'd do stuff like Yiazmat with limitations like "only one of your characters each can cast Arise/Renew or Shock/Flare/Scourge/Scathe", though I just looked at the wiki and I guess certain Espers let you unlock a few high-end spells on random jobs so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Can you explain that a bit better? Last I played there was no damage limit break in vanilla XII and Yiazmat had 50 million HP, and was constantly 9999ing your characters.

e: ok yeah the damage cap in the international version is 99999 and he's susceptible to breaks, neither of which is the case in the original, nor was the fast-forward feature. From what I remember killing him in the original was a multi-hour affair that was mostly hands-off after setting Arise and Scathe gambits

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 3, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mega64 posted:

Every Final Fantasy game has weird goofy poo poo in the vein of Hildibrand, though none of them are as over the top. Even the serious stuff can be loving weird, like a tornado dungeon or a whale spaceship or same orphanage.

Hildibrand is great because it's Final Fantasy embracing how utterly weird and bizarre it is. The only other game to come close in that self-realization is FF7 just from the sheer amount of "what the gently caress is this poo poo" moments it has.
man whale spaceship was such an awesome :wtf: moment, which one is tornado dungeon?

mercenary college campus that can secretly fly is another good one

FF9 overall was pretty great for poking fun at the series in general, given how nostalgic the whole game was overall. Some of my favorite stuff comes from that game, including
-rando final boss out of nowhere
-secret boss fight/best item shop in the game that has zero indication or hint that it actually exists
-final super-hard optional boss fight against a superball
-king of major country whose wife turned him into a giant bug and everyone has to pretend like everything is normal

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 4, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

Then I guess I'll go back and beat the FFXI expansions I never did, like Wings of the Goddess and Seekers of Adoulin.

no don't

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FFXI was my first MMO as well and I spent a few years on it loving around with goons.

I tried going back when one of the later expansions was released (whichever one had those special zones that let you grind up to 99 in like half a day) and I realized how goddamned boring and obtuse the game is without goons to hang out with.

Oh for the days of 5FPS Dynamis runs :v:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

I mean, I've already played it, I just don't care to ever beat it. Yes, the soundtrack does in fact own.

I'm basically forcing myself through the numbered ones. So really it's basically just 3, 12, 13 and Tactics and related spinoffs. I figure when you're so close, you might as well just go all in.

Maybe I'll play FF3 on my NES everdrive or something, because am I wrong in thinking that the remake made a kinda lovely game even worse?

Playing FF3 is fun coming off of XIV, since the whole Crystal Tower raid is based off FF3 bosses/dungeons/music.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

People who get bored easily? I wouldn't worry about it. Actually it's usually the opposite - the people who really get serious about new content tend to trivialize it so fast that there's really not much to keep them playing til new content comes out.

anyway if you just finished all 3 CTs, I present you with the following:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFipe74EC7s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdCQEsRw-oA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HnguIsj-tQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcvEK-Q0a1U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWhoTRLC0d4

e: actually if you look at the NES and DS sprites for the CT bosses it's pretty impressive how well they translated them to FFXIV.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 7, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I still refuse to believe that anybody managed >10FPS in a full 64-man Dynamis run

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

There was an expansion after SoA? drat, they really kept up with that poo poo. Any new jobs like in SoA? Good story?

Gammatron 64 posted:

Thank God, because what I've played of SoA was miserable. Having to chop down trees and do FATEs just to be able to move through a drat zone is the worst.

jesus that sounds awful

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

World of Final Fantasy is actually kind of that, so far (only about 2 hours in). There seems to be a lot of Pokemon mechanics mixed in, and the characters/voice acting is grossly cutesy, but the gameplay so far is pretty solid and the mechanics feel like they could be surprisingly deep (kind of like Pokemon, I guess).

Also Final Fantasy Dimensions is relatively recent and decidedly old-school. Same with 4 Heroes of Light (which I guess is the original title in what later became the Bravely Default series?). To a lesser extent, if you can stomach the microtransactions/gacha crap, Brave Exvius is actually pretty fun and is a step up from Record Keeper in that there are actual towns/dungeons/world map and not just a series of battles.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 7, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Honestly for such a cutesy-looking title it seems pretty deep. All the monsters have their own Sphere Grids, and most have at least 1 or 2 evolutions, and because you can combine multiple monsters in battle I'm sure there's a fuckload of possibilities. I'm actually pretty excited, I bought it for a bargain, and only because I'm a shameless whore for anything with the FF name, but so far it's been a lot of fun.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cleretic posted:

Are we at the point yet where we can safely say the VII remake will be A Bad Game?

I think drawing a conclusion based on a 3-minute video from 2 years ago and 3 screenshots is a little premature tbh

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

Movement skills can cancel the slide in that fight (and others) too. Though it sucks when you realize mid-slide that shoulder tackle's still on cooldown. :rip:

do you know how many times I've seen players Repelling Shot or Jump themselves off the various EX arenas

the number is very high

Gammatron 64 posted:

If you say so. It's mostly that it's not going to live up to people's expectations, because people have been begging for it for years and what they've formed in their heads will never live up to what actually comes out.

It won't live up to a lot of expectations because most people don't really know what they want. A lot of people say they just want the exact same game with a graphics upgrade but IMO that would be boring as hell, and a lot of people would call it a lazy remake. It's pretty clear from all the other FF7 stuff like Crisis Core and Advent Children that they want these characters to be doing tons of movement and ridiculous over-the-top action and poo poo, so I think moving it to a (hopefully much-improved) FFXV-style battle system makes perfect sense. You can't tell much from those Guard Scorpion fight screenshots, but it does look pretty drat epic. Don't forget that FFXII dabbled in a more active battle system to great effect, and FFXIV is also real-time, and the movement/AOE mechanics in that game can be fun as hell.

I also notice they're using what looks like active markers for AOE attacks from the enemies a la FFXIV, which seems pretty sweet. One or two boss fights in Doom 4 actually did that and it was a lot of fun.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I mean if you want a pretty looking, fixed-camera turn-based RPG with a wacky storyline and a boring main character just play the FFX HD remake :colbert:

everyone says they just want FFVII HD but that'd be such a lazy kick in the nuts from SE, it'll never happen, not the least because of the massive effort involved. This isn't translating a 2D NES game into a pseudo-3D game that plays exactly the same like the DS remakes, and it's not upping the resolution on pre-existing assets like the X/X-2 and upcoming XII HD remakes. They'd basically have to build a modern RPG world from scratch, but they'd also be heavily constrained based on what you could/couldn't do in the original.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Captain Baal posted:

This more than anything else bodes terribly for the game and you should hope that is not the case.

Weren't the .hack games supposed to be really good? I only played one of the older Naruto games but those seemed pretty fun and animu fans seem to love them

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

i mean tbh the real reason they won't do a straight facelift is most likely :effort: and not quality, SE knows drat well they could release a product as complete as FFXV is and as broken as FFXIV 1.0 was and people would still buy the poo poo out of it so yeah, if the .hack games were that forgettable maybe it is a bit worrisome :ohdear:

Nomura's not the worst in the world, he did design the original FF7 characters, and the Advent Children facelifts weren't too absurdly Nomura. He seems to have softened a bit, hell he did the character designs for WoFF and so far nobody has had more than 1 belt or zipper on their clothing!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Countblanc posted:

People wanting something you don't want isn't the same as people not knowing what they want.

very deep, sempai, but "I think a straight facelift would be boring," "a lot of people would think a facelift would be lazy" and "the majority of people hyped for this remake haven't given more than 30 seconds of thought as to what exactly their ideal version of the game is" are 3 separate points

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

You mean that one guy above you who said that the battle system wasn't the greatest?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Captain Baal posted:

I mean I wouldn't be saying that if I didn't see it in other places I go to, dude.

Also I wanted to say that was a dick comment on my part and I apologize, I'm still in GBS posting mode

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Chrono Trigger definitely had some annoying quirks as far as enemy placement, and the fact that the ATB bar filled up kind of awkwardly meant that a lot of times enemies would get turns in before you even though it appeared you were supposed to go first, that sort of thing.

Cross's battle system was so delightfully bizarre, I had a lot of fun with it.

The thing about 7's system was that it was solid, but not particularly innovative. It's a bog-standard ATB system, and beyond the actual combat, the other stuff wasn't super new. Materia wasn't that different of a concept from, say, learning abilities and stat boosts from equipping Espers in 6, or learning abilities based on jobs in 5. 8 was essentially the same system as 6 (learn abilities and stat boosts from Espers/GFs) with the added innovation of Junctioning (which admittedly might be my favorite system in the whole series because of how hilariously broken it is). I could go on, but bells and whistles and little variations aside, the single-player games didn't really innovate at all as far as the battle system until 12, but even 12, while having a new type of battle system, still had essentially the exact same stat/abilities system as 10 did.

e: honestly I think the SE people know what they're doing. You can only change up the same mechanics so many times, and they still do that as well, with the mobile titles and such. 11, 12, 14 and 15 were all very different from each other and from previous games (who knows what fever dreams brought us 13), and while none of them are perfect, IMO the last thing you can say about any of them is that they're stale or rehashed.

TBQH I'm not sure how people manage to stay so excited for the Dragon Quest series, haven't they had literally the same combat mechanics since like the 4th or 5th one?

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 8, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cleretic posted:

It's really the double and triple techs that make me say Trigger did ATB the best, because it's the only time I've seen an ATB game do something that can only be done in that system. FFV is probably the ATB game with the best gameplay, but that's more the job system pulling its weight there.

FWIW Tales of Phantasia and Phantasy Star IV both had combo attacks.

I've never played any of the other Tales games besides Phantasia for SNES and Symphonia for Gamecube, but Phantasia might actually be my favorite battle system in an SNES RPG.

Also, I would say that both the Tales and the Star Ocean series have battle systems that count as "action-based" and they both seem to be highly-regarded series. I'm not saying that automatically means an action-based battle system for the FF7 remake would also be good or even a good fit, but it is evidence that you can have excellent RPGs without ATB-based combat. Nomura saying it's action-oriented doesn't mean that you're going to end up with Devil May Cloud or something.

e: oh yeah the Lufia 2 remake for the DS changed the combat completely and ended up being really awesome overall; it's great because they're similar in most other ways but different enough that I still go back and play both now and again. Maybe that's what the FF7 remake will be like!

e2: VVVVVVVVVV also true, and while the combat was pretty shallow, it definitely felt satisfying most of the time. If magic had been implemented a little better, more spell variety, less cooldowns, etc. I think it would have been a total blast. The whole "hold down attack to combo" thing seemed to irk a lot of people, but I think if they made it an actual timing-based, Devil May Cry/Bayonetta style thing it would have felt waaay less like a Final Fantasy game. But what do I know my favorite systems are 8 and 12 :haw:

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 8, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also the dual techs were cool but I don't think I ever used a triple tech except just to see what it looked like and I was one of those nerds that got all the (major) endings

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Tales of games have had Combo attacks since before Chrono Trigger. It's not something possible only in ATB. Hell Digital Devil Saga has Dual and Triple Techs in a Press Turn system if you wanna get specifically to 'Turn based RPGs only.'

Tales of Phantasia was such a loving awesome game and it's a drat shame that non-emulation people didn't see it in the USA until 2006. The team that translated the SNES ROM did a loving phenomenal job of it - they even recorded English dialogue (fun fact: the game had a fully voiced opening song and all special attacks were voiced as well, which required the use of an unheard-of 48Mbit cartridge [most games were 2-4]. Also during development of it, a bunch of developers got pissed and formed Tri-Ace, which is why the Star Ocean and Tales games have such similar battle systems!)

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 8, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Which is why I've always found it weird that FF game have all these complex moving parts. Given how accessible they want to make the games by making your critical path stuff piss easy I'm shocked we didn't see more CT style games with really really stripped down mechanics.

There's like 3 FF games that actually want you to use most of your tools and even those it's only for late game stuff.

IMO it's a great formula because it rewards casuals who just want to get through the story or whatnot, but also people who enjoy loving around with mechanics. The reason I love 8 and 12 so much is how you can just spend tons of time doing things like junctioning 100 Death to your attack stat and one-shotting 90% of the enemies in the game, or maxing out your stats without breaking level 10, or setting up ridiculous Gambit chains and such.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cleretic posted:

I've said this before, but 7 totally needs a 'the same thing but we fixed the bugs' remake the likes of 1-6 got on the GBA; it's aged fairly poorly, and only gets worse as time goes on and either the techniques used start showing obvious age or some mechanics just stop working. Just a 'we fixed the bugs and translation, and cleaned up the graphics a bit' remake is all it needs, not a whole-hog full-budget remake with entirely different gameplay.

But honestly, since we're not getting that and instead getting an action-RPG from the .hack guys apparently, I DO want them to change a bunch, more than anybody expects them to. Because frankly, if they're not holding being faithful to the original game a high priority, go hog wild. Have Cloud die instead of Aerith, Sapphire Weapon actually gently caress up the Junoon Cannon, Yuffie just steal your materia and never join your party! Take the mindset of 'if you want the original game, it's still out there' to its extreme and have 'Final Fantasy 7 Remake' be a textual intervention where literally nothing anybody expects from the game actually happens!

holy poo poo dude you're getting loving hysterical about this

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

spoiler alert: it's going to use an updated version of the Ehrgeiz engine for combat

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cleretic posted:

Honestly, I was hamming that up to entertain myself, but I do think that this is a golden opportunity to have a lot of fun with a canvas that gives you a lot to fiddle with. If the original is always going to be there, why not take the opportunity of the remake to play with the source material?

Golden example, and what made me realize this: Aerith's death. Big and affecting for a bunch of reasons, not the least of which is that it wasn't expected. FF is no stranger to killing party members, but never was it someone as integral to the plot and gameplay. You didn't just lose a party member, you lost a party member you assumed would be there forever. That's not going to have the same punch 20+ years on, now that everyone is aware not to get too attached to that dedicated white mage. So if you keep that moment as-is, sure you're remaining faithful to the original story by the letter, but in doing so you sacrifice a big part of why it worked in the first place.

So, the alternative: you kill someone else. Everyone has expected and braced for Aerith's death, leaving it just as shocking if you swerve away from the most famous moment in the game. A plain old 'psyche!' won't be worth it, though, you still have to kill someone else... and there's only one character in the party with more contractual genre-invulnerability than Aerith. Killing Cloud retains that same shock value and feeling of loss, while entirely pulling the rug out from the people who thought themselves immune to it. On top of that, you've suddenly changed the entire game going forward, nothing can work as everyone expected it to if the initial protagonist is dead and the girl whose death spurs on the plot is alive in his stead.

Nah this is a terrible idea and doesn't distract from how angry you're getting over theoretical changes and also comparing changing the battle system to altering major plot points

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mario RPG still had a screen transition though, CT was the first one where you more-or-less seamlessly moved into and out of combat.

Tae posted:

Wasn't he the same guy that wanted the mistranslation of ff7 to be canon for the remake because it feels more true

Which mistranslation is that?

Not sure but he is the guy that tried to every FF has a focused and strong common core of plot points by explaining how Ifrit's the first summon you get and Terra and Aeri(s/th) is almost the exact same character because they're both magical ladies important to the plot (please ignore how their roles in the story, their personalities, their arcs, their approaches to their circumstances, their circumstances, are all different.)

hosed up if true

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

:agreed: on all counts but it's still a stretch to say that Terra and Aeris are almost the same characters

also the whole "you get Ifrit first" is pretty suspect since that's untrue in VI (Ramuh/Kirin/Stray/Siren), VII (Choco/Mog), IX (Dagger starts with a bunch of them), X (Valefor), XII (Ifrit's not even a summon), XIII (IIRC none of the PCs control him) so I don't even know what that dude is trying to say :shrug:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

morallyobjected posted:

there are no crystals in FFVIII

It's glossed over but it's there: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Crystal_Pillar_(Final_Fantasy_VIII)

Brother Entropy posted:

no wonder it's bad

fight me IRL bro

mandatory lesbian posted:

the original translation has problems, to say the least

like what?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

IX also had the Crystal World and the concept that both Gaia and Terra had their own crystals at their center. The whole motivation of one of the main bad guys is to steal Gaia's crystal to keep Terra alive.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

IX was very good in general at shoehorning things into the story very poorly. See also: Ipsen's Castle, Amarant's backstory, Necron out of loving nowhere, etc.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

How so? Amarant's not related to Zidane beyond "you framed me for a crime and now I have a weird Stockholm Syndrome hateboner thing for you," and the entirety of Necron's backstory is "hi I'm the manifestation of death and I've been watching Kuja and it looks like all life desires death so lemme help you with that." Memoria is just the manifestation the memories of people who lived on the planet in the past.

Honestly the only explanation for Necron that's ever made even a lick of sense to me was "well, we had to put something in to give Kuja an excuse to turn good at the last second!" Heck, apparently Hades was supposed to be the final boss up to the last minute of development.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 8, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Honestly I'm just going off what I read here because Amarant was the most forgettable character ever to me. He had very little personality and his character growth was basically the tsundere stereotype. I remember more about Quina than I do about Amarant.

Memoria is the manifestation of everything's memories and emotions and Necron is the manifestation of death because that's all Kuja could think of because he was so afraid of dying (and the acceptance and growth in spite of our inevitable death is a big theme in ff9's narrative.)

That explanation...actually makes sense :drat:

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 8, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

That was my point - he contributes zero to the story and his character growth is a very generic "gruff loner learns that true power comes from teamwork!" arc. My point about Quina wasn't that she was critical to the storyline, but that she at least had a personality that stood out. The brooding loner with a secret heart of gold trope is ridiculously over-used and Amarant really just seemed like an extra character thrown in because IX changed it up from VII and VIII by having the main character be an upbeat loudmouth and they needed a Cloud/Squall archetype to round things out. FFX just split the archetype into Lulu and Kimahri.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

If games like FFXV and the Tales series count as twitch reaction and precise timing in your book please do not ever play any of the Devil May Cry games or anything made by Platinum or you will likely collapse into uncontrollable seizures within 30 seconds

Out of curiosity have you ever played an ATB game in Active mode?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I only played the demo but it appears that it is a Platinum game but with the added bonus of also being a low-level bullet hell shmup at the same time

it was a bit intimidating especially since whatever difficulty setting I chose disabled lock-on

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cleretic posted:

You could have just said 'no'. But then again, if you thought to check you wouldn't have made the point in the first place.

wait, so have you not even played XV?

I would ask how you can have an opinion on action-based battle systems in a Final Fantasy game without having actually experienced it but then again you are convinced a game will be bad based on 2 screenshots so who even knows

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah the demo was fun but I wasn't blown away (and I loooved the first one), but it's probably better that way. By the time I'm done with WoFF and Horizon, the new Mass Effect will be out, and once that's done maybe I can get Nier for a bargain, it seems short enough that it probably won't hold it's value super-well.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's going to be amazing and I'm hyped for it, but I think I got the first Nier for like $15 or so and it wasn't a very long time after it was released. Reviews seem to be pegging it at 25ish hours for all the main endings, and considering it handles one of the endings the same way the first Nier handled the last ending, I'm predicting a lot of trade-ins.

Revengeance was an awesome game but the Five Below near me has like 20 copies of it on PS4 for $5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Foi/Wat/Tsu/Zan/Gra or gtfo :smuggo: