Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Delsaber posted:

Exactly. And it goes far beyond the odd character models and rushed translation; there are tons of little details in FFVII that are very much of their time, stuff that just wouldn't fly in a full remake, assuming they go all-out with it.

Take character animations for example: Square would have to rethink almost every scene of dialogue in the game, ostensibly throw out all the existing storyboards and start over, because there's no way they could totally rework the character models to 2014 standards yet still have Cloud randomly doing squats mid-conversation, or Palmer hopping up and down in his chair during that board meeting, or Barret throwing characters at the camera, without the whole thing looking ten kinds of stupid.

...that said, at least it would be entertaining, in that crazy-rear end Metal Gear kind of way. I'll take that if the alternative is more of what Crisis Core was doing.

Yeah, and those animations are part of the reason the game has so much charm... remaking FFVI would run in to the same problems honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

morallyobjected posted:

Is this true? Goddamn it this makes me wonder if I even want to get it, international version be damned.

Yeah, I have it preordered from Newegg because they offered a discount, but I haven't been following it much... is this even going to be a good game?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sex_Ferguson posted:

From everything we've heard, the biggest problem is no cutscene skip in X, I can deal with loading screens depending on when they are, but I cannot deal with long rear end cutscenes of a game I've played through like three times already. ...I'd totally do it for X-2 though, game owns.

Fister Roboto posted:

Looks like the only thing that's changed is the upscaled graphics, which other than the faces don't seem to be that much better than playing the old version on an emulator with the resolution cranked up.
Hmm, these don't seem like too bad of problems. I haven't played FFX in at least 6 or 7 years, so I am going to watch the cutscenes anyway.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Argh, this pessimism has me on the fence again, considering I could indeed just emulate the drat game. Part of my hesitation is also that I sort of never want to give Square another Final Fantasy-related penny after FFXIII, I hate it that much.

(FFXII HD would put me over the edge though, if they put real effort in to it, not going to lie)

abagofcheetos fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 6, 2014

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Are there Kao Megura-level definitive guides for FFX/X-2?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Burger McAngus posted:

Did anyone else preorder FFX|FFX-2 from Newegg and not get the limited edition?

I preordered it from there and still haven't received it :ughh:

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Burger McAngus posted:

Did anyone else preorder FFX|FFX-2 from Newegg and not get the limited edition?

I just got it in the mail, and what the gently caress they sent me the non-limited one too. I would have just bought the drat thing on PSN if they were just going to send me a normal one. Did you contact them and get a resolution?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Skychrono posted:

Same here! I ordered it before Limited existed, and got regular. My order page says Standard Edition now. Boo. Already opened it though.

This is crap though, I preordered it like in October or something stupid because it was $5 off and said I would get the limited edition. If I was just going to get the standard edition I would have bought it on PSN and taken advantage of the $10 back deal. I'm gonna see if they will accept a return and just buy it used in a few months.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

W.T. Fits posted:

Wasn't the guy initially in charge of XI of the school of thought that all an MMO's mechanics should be hidden behind the scenes and as obtuse as possible so that players could "enjoy" the challenge of figuring it out for themselves? I recall back when I still played, there was still debates on how the crafting mechanics really worked and whether or not the direction you were facing had a legitimate impact on your chances of success or if it was just confirmation bias. :iiam:

An aside, but Asheron's Call was actually designed like this initially too. Spells needed to be crafted, but there was no information on what the recipes were. And on top of that, the more people that knew a spell the less powerful it was, so there was actual incentive to keep the spells rare.

Of course, the internet was very different then, pre-wikis and all that. You probably couldn't do something like that now if you wanted to.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Played a bunch of FFXIV over the weekend on the PS4, and I have to say it seems REALLY good. They stole basically everything good from Guild Wars 2, and but it still retains a whole bunch of its own unique identity (I didn't play FFXI, so seeing Final Fantasy things in an MMO is still novel to me). I will definitely be subscribing for a few months this summer when I have more time to play. I'm also surprised how well it plays with a controller, I didn't bother hooking a mouse/keyboard up for the weekend but I'd imagine it will be even better.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Barudak posted:

My friend basically had the entire pre-yunalesca dialog down by memory thanks to dying to her a few times.

I get to hear it again later today :suicide:

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Systematic System posted:

To make it more likely that he'll use Zanmato, you should have him with a full Overdrive, pay him a lot of gil (specifically the highest chance of him doing Zanmato occurs when you pay him 536870912 gil), raise a hidden motivation stat by using him frequently, and never letting him die/pay him less than 1000 gil.

Is there also some factor where if you pay all your money, even if it is only a few thousand, it adds a bonus? I seem to recall watching a Youtube video where the guy gives all his money (like 6000 or something) and it activated Zanmato.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Plus given the sales, the FFX remaster could have probably made money with like a third of the sales it got... so even if FFXII sells half as well it will still be worth it.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
One of my good friends in middle school always pronounced Delita Del-tit-tia. I still can't figure out why...

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Regarding the Sony/Square shares thing:

Historically, Japanese companies have owned shares in their suppliers, customers, financiers/banks, etc (they call it "kieretsu"). Back in the 80s and 90s you could probably do a Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon thing and link any two Japanese companies through holdings within like 3 or 4 hops. The whole 90s bubble crash kind of put a damper on the practice, but apparently it is still big in the auto industry.

I'd wager that Sony bought the shares orignally not for strategic reasons, but because they were an affiliated Japanese company in need.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
HOLY gently caress THIS COMMERCIAL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lzTcNS1ors

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Never change Japan.

(so glad export to USB is now a thing)

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Mega64 posted:

I'm still waiting for the FF7 remake to announce Cloud's VA to be H. Jon Benjamin.

tifa

tifa

tifa

tifa

TIIFAAAAAAAAAA

WHAAAAT

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

In case anyone was wondering US sales figures...

Lightning Returns FF [PS3] 135k [360] 71k
FF10HD [PS3] 259k [Vita] ~75k
Bravely Default [3DS] ~258k

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Please tell me this is just a placeholder:

https://store.eu.square-enix.com/emea_europe/search/results.php?id_product=1460

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Beef Waifu posted:

The price? Dude, they're remaking that game from the ground up for those consoles it's being sold at retail.

They are going to charge $60 for this, when they charged $40 for FFX/X-2 HD? Really?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Beef Waifu posted:

That's not counting the voice work that needs to be done for the stateside version, a localization, the money it's going to cost to turn it from gross PSP to 1080p PS4 graphics, any additional content they will most definitely add because it is Square-Enix, and any changes they make to the gameplay mechanics.

Like the reason this game is even being made is the West never got it and kept asking for it.

I guess... I mean, FFX had a lot of extra work done with it (including voice work, new music, international stuff, etc), but if this is a true completely redone game it makes sense I suppose. I'll wait until it is cheaper anyway, I just wasn't expecting it to be a $60 title.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
They should just buy the guys translation and release the PSP game.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Oh right, I forgot Europe got all that. Well, the audio drama was new, right? :haw:

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Japan's sales of FFXIII were 1.7 million. Worldwide were 6.6 million. That just further shows Square doesn't really know how to prioritize.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dragonatrix posted:

I wouldn't say that they poorly fit together, honestly.

I'd say they don't.

It looks like one of those sliding puzzles before you solve it.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I think the RE remake will have the opposite problem - since they are going widescreen with a 4:3 source, there is going to be scrolling where scrolling didn't originally exist.

edit: which will probably look pretty rough, because they aren't even blowing up 640x480 to 1080p, they are blowing up a 16:9 portion of 640x480 to 1080p.

abagofcheetos fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 25, 2014

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

What in the world... I don't even know what to make of this game.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Vil posted:

Pile Banger
Grow Lance

:quagmire:

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Well worth it :shepface:

(movies for $5 :negative:)

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Endorph posted:

because i want them to real bad

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

corn in the bible posted:

Popeye arms are the best.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

corn in the bible posted:

why isn't ozma morbidly obese? missed opportunity there imho

zombie step mom should be a dungeon boss

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Toxxupation posted:

Bravely Fencer Musashi

Nah, the world is too cruel for that.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Endorph posted:

they should just let tri-ace make final fantasy 16

Funny you mention that, tri-Ace was just purchased by Nepro Japan, to become a mobile developer!

https://www.release.tdnet.info/inbs/140120150220029526.pdf

:suicide:

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

So there are there now QTEs in Final Fantasy? I have no idea what those prompts say, but those look like timed button presses.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Terper posted:

The first one is a prompt to parry, the second is a context-sensitive counter. So no more QTE than, say, the Batman games.

Ah, that makes sense... I'm not even that much of a QTE hater, it just seemed odd. I think it is going to take a while to digest all of XV.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Someone is streaming Type-0 HD right now on Twitch.

First comment I read: "Is this a N64 game?"

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Harlock posted:

Earthbound guide was only good for the scratch and sniff stickers. Also I had a Pokemon Red/Blue guide that was pretty great.

My Final Fantasy VI guide is.. not great.

haha I just sold one of these in SA Mart a few months ago. What a weird loving guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Hey Sunning, what the HELL is going on with Konami and Kojima???????