Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Evil Sagan posted:

Final Fantasy X is the first game I remember playing where having a guide wasn't just helpful, but was downright necessary to find a bunch of things. Has that always been the case with JRPGs or is that a relatively recent (er-- like I said, relatively) trend?

I recall VII having some pretty obscure stuff compared to previous FF games, like where you got the Breath Water materia (I think that's what it was called?) which wasn't necessary but helpful. All the chocobo stuff and level 4 limits were also pretty far outside of stuff an average gamer would find without a guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
The way I play the game, I like to think everything is just a dream that the fat dude who was friends with Laguna who went work in the prison had asleep on the can.

I realize it's actually just this but replace "fat dude who was friends with Laguna who went work in the prison" with Tetsuya Nomura.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Peel posted:

They aren't really called 'witch', that's just the usual translation of '魔女', 'majo', which is literally 'magic woman/female' as Splinter says. There's no common root word there or anything, so it's just a question of the translator's taste.

The game would have benefitted from every reference to "witch" being changed to "magical super-lady."

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
This is like, some kind of final fantasy, eh Cloud?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Rei_ posted:

Oh hey, FFXIV question. On the OST, what's the name of that boss fight theme that plays when you fight Nero?

I don't recall there being a boss named Nero in FFIV but the 3 boss songs are Boss Theme 1, Boss Theme 2, and the Final Battle (played during the fight with Zeromus).

edit: oh balls, I misread the question

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 2, 2014

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
That USGamer article is pretty interesting and definitely shows the crossroads at SE. Yoshida and Kitase end up looking like the heroes there, equal parts pragmatic and idealistic and it's probably how Yoshida managed to get ARR to be successful. Meanwhile, Motoru is left trying to feel proud at polishing a turd with the FFXIII sequels and the article definitely leaves you with a lot of doubt. Tetsuya Nomura, the guy with an uneven history and considered a poor-man's Amano, is at the head of a 10 year project that could redefine or destroy the franchise while one of SE's B teams just hit it out of the park with Bravely Default, a relatively small project that captured the feeling of Final Fantasy and nostalgia that Yoshida pined about more than all of FFXIII combined.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 7, 2014

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

fronz posted:

This doesn't sound like a very funny comedy show.

It's a show for people in tech, lots of in-jokes. The team loving up Scrum is one of them.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Has anyone played or finished the new iOS port of FFVI? It looks very pretty but I've been leery about trying any of them because they're pricy for mobile games.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Barudak posted:

It... it looks good to you?

It looks good. The new ... portraits? I'm... going to take this as a sign maybe it's not so good.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 9, 2014

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
OK. Yes, that's an abomination.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Captain Mog posted:

The idea that anyone would be obsessive over a linear JRPG is sort of crazy to me. I can't even fathom doing anything in a game like Final Fantasy other than playing it straight through to the end and putting it aside, maybe going after a few sidebosses if I was so inclined. To each his own, I guess.

I mean FFX is awesome and all but I barely even have the patience to get the celestial weapons, let alone fight Penance. Too many other good games out there to be playing at this point in time.

I generally agree though games with heavy customization like jobs and materia like FF5, FF7, FFT, and Bravely Default tend to grab me for a long time. VIII through X, a lot less so, and IV and VI as much as I love the stories don't have that level of customization.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

ShadeofDante posted:

Don't worry!

X-2's "best" ending completely invalidates all of those feelings you have! And the new audio drama apparently kills him off after being brought back to life! :v:

Wasn't Tidus coming back to life in X-2 completely unexplained bullshit story-wise and just fan service?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
SE needs to get their poo poo together. They create titles that resonate with fans and do well (a lot of mobile hits, FF Tactics is doing better than ever on mobile, Bravely Default saw major success everywhere, ARR was a definite hit, Eidos has done a few great things recently like the Tomb Raider prequel) but they seem unwilling or unable to expand on those successes and some of them are tarnished. Where they could have made quite a bit of money on Bravely Default, they did not because they made "gut" decisions without research about what the West "likes." FF Tactics continues to be successful but they seem unable to do anything with that success other than just keep re-releasing it instead of trying to make a sequel. They are extremely late to the mobile F2P thing and should have had a lovely FF or DQ-themed Farmville-style treadmill on mobile within the last year. They keep talking about fixing their processes for AAA, FFXV is proof they haven't learned yet. Bleh.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Mischitary posted:

Because it's not a KH title, it's an action RPG being directed by Tetsuya Nomura and has a lot of the original KH team involved so it's gonna be similar but I think they're gonna go for their own thing, especially now since KH3 is being developed for the same consoles.

FFXV is by far my most anticipated game. Out of all the big guns at S-E who seem to still be allowed to direct a game I probably trust Nomura more than anybody else. Especially since XV seems like his dream project. I think that we'll probably see more this E3 and I'm super excited.

Hello Mr. Opposite of Me in Every Way. I think Tetsuya Nomura is a complete hack who can't seem to execute a decent plot without truck-sized holes and utter nonsense and the design sensibilities of someone who consumed all popular music fashion and puked it up in its entirety onto a single mannequin. This plus an 8 year dev cycle seem to point at FFXV being a a highly likely clusterfuck.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
What is a Cosmobalrgity Blagle?

Also, Bravely Default's repetition is annoying but you can actually skip a lot of it and I don't just mean breaking a crystal. Nothing is keeping you from just mashing the crystal bosses other than, perhaps, their difficulty. Chapters 5-7 should have been cut short into a single chapter but I did enjoy Chapter 7 immensely. The ending is good too. It does not ever "vanish up its own metaphysics" the way XIII, X, and VIII do. The last battle and ending are reminiscent of old-school Final Fantasy with a little bit of meta-humor thrown in.

edit: It also all makes sense without forcing you to make weird logic leaps. The only thing I would fault the game is that all that you have to read Ringabel's giant journals to get full enjoyment out of it, and while they are well-written, it is still a bit of a cop-out for a video game. However, I would prefer that to the way some JRPGs and games in general require you to do some really weird side-encounters and read little bits of dialog far off the beaten path to make any sense of the story.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 16, 2014

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. It still does the "Oh, turns out that Tiz was possessed by a poorly explained spirit which may or may not be the player and then he died/went into a coma!" which is pretty pointless. It's not FFXIII dumb but it's still pretty dumb.

Yeah, that's a fair criticism. It's you/Airy's sister, I guess? It was definitely kinda stupid but they also talk about his 'empty soul' all game so at least it didn't come out of nowhere. It does leave you uncomfortably wondering where Tiz' personality ends and "the spirit" begins. Given that Tiz did seem pretty passionate about certain people like his brother, the kid from the mines, and Agnes, it seems like Tiz is in there somewhere but the ending seems to imply otherwise. Definitely annoyed me, yeah.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
That's a really good sum-up and definitely the reason I personally enjoy the *Souls games. It's a game first and foremost, it's difficult, and you feel accomplished after you overcome each thing. It has some other aspects to it that either appeal to people or push them away. However, the lack of interesting gameplay challenges to overcome just wrecks a game and this was a major issue in FFXIII, whereas in a game like Bravely Default where the Groundhogs Aspect obnoxiously pads the game, they at least added incredibly difficult battles towards the end of it that made you feel like you had accomplished something beyond just the story resolution.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 16, 2014

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I find that funny because I actually managed to do all the chocobo race stuff in 30 minutes during the first release and a friend threw a shitfit because it took her like 4-5 hours the previous night.

Now the lightning dodging... gently caress that. gently caress that right to hell.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Firstborn posted:

My favorite thing in FF is the job system. Tactics has my favorite gameplay elements...

... But XII is my favorite FF by a landslide. I love Ivalice, I love the flowery language, I love the pseudo Star Wars backdrop, and I love Basch.

Edit: I think a lot of my love for the game stemmed from coming off of (in my opinion) kind of a disappointing FFX, then the crap that was FF11: Online Gayme. Gambits were cool because you got to set-up great IF This: THEN This, which automated the game in some ways but wasn't the autopilot that was FF13. Great cast of characters (Vaan and Penelo were boring, but I loved Balthier, Fran, Basch, and even Ashe had some fun moments), lots of fun callbacks like Gilgamesh, and the redesigns of the Espers and stuff all were great. Quickenings were a fun way to make Limit Breaks interactive and were always satisfying. The chain system where you were awarded above and beyond grinding with random healing and items, the bounties, the music. It managed to turn down the "anime" factor just a little bit and stuck out to me like a "grown-up final fantasy", if that makes sense to anyone. This isn't meant to belittle your favorite game, just a personal opinion. It felt fresh and I disappeared into it and was utterly lost in it for a long time.
The way Fran says magicite... :allears:

Edit: I just want to make clear that I love FFIV and love the class switch that the main character does, Paladin is my favorite job by a large margin (maybe part of the reason why FFT was so fun to me, all those swordskills and special attacks), love FFVI, and have a soft spot for FFVII and FFIX. I can't look at an Amano artwork without feeling nostalgic! I love how his characters manage to look rough/sketchy, dreamy and ethereal, and super-detailed at the same time.

Hey FF bro, you put to words a lot of what I love about the series. XII did in many ways feel like the series growing up. It was a nice tack away from the anime stuff that was taking over a lot of the company's RPG projects at the time, embraced or at times heralded by some of the other directors there. XII was a story about no-bullshit adults doing what they had to to serve their nations and their people... saddled with Vaan and Penelo, demo-targeted characters meant to keep certain fans interested in the series. They are still widely considered the one biggest thematic and story-telling failure of the game, and rightfully so.

I liked the combat OK and the hunts quite a bit but the gameplay was otherwise lacking compared to previous entries.

Incidentally, Cecil's class-change/redemption remains one of my favored fond FF memories along with Celes' story in VI and Cloud confronting the truth of his past in VII. FF stories tend to be at their best when the otherwise fantastical warriors depicted have truly human moments. Probably the reason that FFT and Tactics Ogre, even with their flawed original translations, are still well-regarded. That and of course the job system.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 30, 2014

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
ImpAtom, for what it's worth, I beat FFXIV in less than a month and only paid for one extra month to try endgame before getting bored with queuing and losing in Titan Hard Mode a couple dozen times with exactly 3 wins that only happened because somehow no one hosed up.

The main story, that can mostly be beaten alone, is good with lots of fun battles. The main issue with the game is that like most MMO's, there isn't a lot of difficult single player (or even two player) content, so unlike every FF since 5, there aren't super bosses you can challenge yourself with without worrying about finding 3-7 other vaguely competent people.

Edit: to be fair, there is challenging singe player content in the game that is usually job-specific and the only way they can add more is with job-specific challenges.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 2, 2014

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
It's almost as if they keep saying that Yuna is strong-willed so that it somehow becomes true.

And I guess it kind of works if only because Tidus is around to teach her how to kind of be a normal human being and enjoy life every once in a god-damned while.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
FFX-2 is playable to an individual only if they can get through the first 15 minutes without their eyes having rolled straight out of their skull and onto the bloody carpet.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

quote:

It's a perfect 'What if A 70's action show but also Final Fantasy' and it handled the idea of Spira being liberated and free to actually pursue leisure and dreams now that they're not being culled by a giant space whale pretty well.

This is perfectly accurate. Unfortunately I hate Charlie's Angels, CHIPS, and JPOP in equal measure so there was nothing for me personally. That's why my qualification was "is playable to an individual only if they can get through the first 15 minutes." If you can get through those first 15 minutes, great. If you love it, great. Not for me.

A game can not take itself seriously and have a sense of style I personally enjoy. FFX-2 was not that game.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Endorph posted:

Okay? You didn't like FFX-2, fair enough, but going 'ugh my eyes rolled out of my head!!!' just makes you look lame and dumb. Please don't be lame and dumb.

Making the generalization that nerds don't like FFX-2 because they don't want light-heartedness in their Final Fantasy is also lame and dumb. Let's do less generalizing and more agreeing that every FF is the worst in the series.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Pureauthor posted:

Yes, people like Lightning. She's incredibly popular in Japan. That's why they are milking the cash cow.

This has been brought up again and again.

I didn't know Lightning was popular in Japan. There is a similar perception of FFXIII as a game in Japan to what it has in other regions (not good). I guess Lightning just outshines the game in Japan?

edit:sp

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 5, 2014

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I like all the statements about liking FFXIII phrased as questions, like "Is this normal?" FFXIII isn't some universally hated game like Sim City, FFIII DS, or Mass Effect 3's last third. It was just universally considered a disappointment, between the 20-hour tutorial and story losing focus and coherence at some point. The story is also a downer but not in some poignantly tragic and beautiful way but in more of a weird forced and contrived way.

The characters are serviceable for the most part but considering characters are usually the driving force behind FF stories, serviceable isn't enough when so much else breaks down.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Schwartzcough posted:

The problems with Summons is that they're either just a strong magic spell (IV-IX, with the added benefit of tanking hits for you in VIII), or they replace your team with an attacker that is almost universally less useful than just keeping your team around (X-XIII, although X probably handled it best).

I'm thinking summons would work best in a game where everyone can't do everything, because then it's hard to find a reason to summon. The summon could replace ONLY the summoner, and it could come with a full set of abilities- they'd be more like toolboxes than 1-note spells. They should apply a multiplier to the summoner's stats to derive the summon's stats, so you don't end up with a summon that is weaker than the character(s) its replacing. So for some MP or whatever you can replace a single character with a strong unit that can do things the summoner couldn't, without wrecking the party dynamic.

This is generally how they play out in the online FF's and it works pretty well. If we got another turn-based FF (Bravely Default has the mantle now I suppose) that's how I'd like it to work. Either that or someone more creative needs to think of a very good new use for them.

The cinematic summons were cool in their time but it definitely feels like they're played out and Bravely Default drove that home as I hated using them.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
FF13 is literally Hitler.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
It'd be great if they released it but that boat sailed a long time ago. Fan translation or nothing for the foreseeable future.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I finally got around to playing Deus Ex: HR and it's really drat good. I hope they make another, I know the sales weren't quite up to expectations.

I'm pretty sure it did well enough to warrant a sequel if they wanted. The only issue was that it was a prequel to begin with, and one with a very intense fan base to please. They might not even try, afraid that they alienated to many fans with HR's perceived issues.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Krad posted:

Can you really call them "child" soldiers when in jRPG-land being in your 30's/40's means you're ready for retirement?

And 16-year-olds are constantly saving the universe.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Aurain posted:

The rumours of a Type-0 localisation were too strong to be without substance for a while now. They either got a bit too nervous about delaying their localisation release in the face of it, or they had someone tip them off to get it out as quick as possible because it makes it a lot more of an hassle to those guys.

This is almost certainly what happened. The guy probably had friends at SE who told him with e3 coming up that if he wanted his work to be even remotely worth a drat, he better release it now.

It is a kick in the groin to Vita owners not to have a Vita version of the game, but on the other hand, I am totally not complaining about a completely nextgen version of Type-0.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Barudak posted:

Yeah, I was curious about names. X and X-2 and X-3 can be Spira Universe Bombkicking Patsy Adventure Resource

I see what you did there.

The sequels stuff is kind of obnoxious but I feel like it's more the old-timer in me talking because I'm used to the one-off worlds of early JRPG's and 80's anime. That and FF4/FF7 extended universe stuff being mostly poo poo. Ivalice was neat but the Ivalice of FFT and the Ivalice of FF12 only share similar tone and themes. The details of the worlds in each Ivalice game are very different.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 12, 2014

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Ethiser posted:

I want to say that they allude to some sort of apocalyptic disaster in Tactics that wiped out the moogles and presumably all the other non humans.

Ah I didn't know about this. The GBA games had the weird parallel universe poo poo going on in them that sort of muddied the waters a bit so I figured it didn't really matter if they were all technically in the same universe or just used a lot of the same names and themes.

The Ivalice games also tend to be the dryer games in the series. Even though FF12 isn't set to the same dark age that FFT and Vagrant Story are, it shares the same grimness and gothic stylings.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Fister Roboto posted:

What's really great is when you realize that Tidus is an idiot who got flung a thousand years into the future, and put two and two together.

I never thought about until you brought it up. Tidus, Aeon delivery boy at your service.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

TARDISman posted:

Jecht is Seymour.

Everytime Sin shows up it's so say "good news everyone!"

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Sunning posted:

FFIX actually has good deal of its master assets scattered through the portfolios of the artists who worked on the game.

So SE never thought to put all the assets they paid for in a single archive? What is this, 1950's television?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
It's a polarizing game. If after a few hours it doesn't gel for you, it's probably not going to.

Personally, I found the hunts, exploration, and voice work to be the strong points of the game. If those don't do it for you, I can't say there's much else for you. The characters are hit/miss, the story is decent but not great, and the battle system is just OK as well, though if you like the idea of building party AI, there's a decently built if-else system (the gambits) you might find interesting.

But like I said, if the game isn't doing it for you a few hours in, it probably just won't.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Ugh. I'm starting understand why SE was a little gunshy about localization. I guess we'll see how this plays out on next gen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Tae posted:

What I'm not looking forward in the HD port for Type-0 is all the panty shots, especially clear in the final boss that you really can't avoid. I only realized that the same crew that did Third Birthday made Type-0, so that creepiness makes sense in hindsight.

Ugh that sinking feeling in my stomach. Third Birthday was a very low point in gaming in general.