Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Is it weird that I consider 14:ARR to be one of the most FF feeling games to come out in like ten years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Like the dude who spearheaded ARR cried on stage because he was so moved by peoples response to the game.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I think one of the things that made early FF really amazing was a scale that was conveyed via the gameplay rather than solely through visuals. I mean after X you began losing things like Airships and the Overworld which while still somewhat present, made the games feel a lot less like I was GOING on an adventure and more like I was WATCHING an adventure.

Something that games like Dark Souls and Monster Hunter have gotten across is conveying scale and scope and grandeur WITHOUT these things but they're fantasy role-playing games that built up a world of adventure through coherent and meaningful gameplay systems that made exploration and engagement with the world FUN. Rather FF has tried to create similar LOOKING worlds with gameplay systems that feel like almost tacked-on afterthoughts that don't compliment the type of game they're creating. With FF I'm tired of LOOKING at worlds I'm not really DRAWN INTO as a player, there's no escape, just observation.

Also Toriyama needs to loving go. Forever.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

When I think of the moments in every Final Fantasy where I felt that NOW I'm on an adventure, it's when I first get access to the entire world. In FF7 it's leaving Midgard for the first time, in FF3 it was finding out that the world you're on is one TINY PART of a much LARGER world. Those are the moments I want to feel in a Final Fantasy game. Like in FF13-2 even, when the whole Time Travel thing is revealed it's like this whole grand scape opens in front of you and THAT'S when it becomes Final Fantasy.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

BottledBodhisvata posted:

It's stuff like this that makes me come back to the game (and not stuff like the Extreme Primal battles because god loving jesus drat it, everybody who plays this game sucks at it including and especially me and nobody ever wins).

I played through the whole Manderville questline last night and I was seriously not expecting to laugh at a quest in an MMO, but dang is this game really well done. It also ends in THIS which is a spoiler, kinda, but loving incredible.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Titan's Under the Weight is the first real Final Fantasy boss theme since 8.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

See I liked FF8 a lot. I think FF7 hit a certain demographic of people in the US that FF8 just wasn't aiming for, so what happened is that it released really poorly but in a lot of ways its story aged really well? It's loving batshit insane JRPG poo poo, but it's really cool and nuanced in away I really didn't expect when I revisited it years later.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Oh hey, FFXIV question. On the OST, what's the name of that boss fight theme that plays when you fight Nero?

bloodychill posted:

This is like, some kind of final fantasy, eh Cloud?

i'm honestly surprised it doesn't get namedropped more often.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Like I said though, FF7 hit the right demographic at the right time in their lives. The console generation that started out with the NES and SNES was at the perfect age for characters like Cloud and Squall when that game came out and the sketches in the margins of classroom notebooks everywhere at the time was probably a testament to that.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Theyve been getting weird with the actual "fantasy" elements since 6, though. It's why the XV trailer has to preface itself every time with 'This Is a Fantasy Based on Reality', because everyone hears 'Fantasy' and they immediately think loving elves and castles.

Fantasy, Science Fiction, and Horror are all forms of speculative fiction. Fantasy utilizes the supernatural, whereas Science Fiction utilizes science (or 'novum') to distance the world from our own and make things possible that are impossible. Horror flits between science, fantasy and reality but does so through the use of the macabre.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Like, the stories about Toriyama legit having a crush on Lightning are true, right?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Internet, why, mechanically does Kimhari wind up being such an awful character? I love Dragoon-types and I hate when they're bad. :<

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Who?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

FFX's story was weird because playing it as a teen and playing it now makes a lot of things come across a lot differently? Like when I was a kid, I think I was just hammering X a lot more and not really picking up on all the moments where Tidus is this really shallow, self-conscious person who spends most of the game micro-managing the emotions of his friends. Like the game is full of moments where he's teaching people to lie about how they really feel because he thinks that's how others actually act, and how his weird 'put on a happpy face' bullshit looks good to him, but when his own dad tried to pretend to be cool all the time he just came across looking like a giant shithead. Tidus refused to tell him that for the same reasons Jecht refuses to emotionally connect with his own kid, because he didn't want to show anyone how he actually felt about anything.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Square tries to act like its Activision, when in reality it's more of a Double Fine and desperately needs to scale back its scope both on the individual development level and broader corporate cultural level.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

That loving Sned posted:

Some of the combat scenes have been extended, although all they show is that the person playing isn't very good.

I'm actually okay with realistic looking gameplay footage rather than perfect, cinematic-looking gameplay footage because I'm more likely to believe the latter is just entirely fabricated.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Yeah, A Realm Reborn is loving AMAZING. Like, c'mon.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Gologle posted:

Hey you guys! Quit wanking off about your fantasies and pretending it's going to be the final time and check into something awful! Do you dislike Lightning Returns? Sure you do, because you're not totally lame! Want to make it 1000x better? Check into this thread to make all your wildest dreams come true, you stupid losers! Brought to you by the same people who gave you Mario Party extravaganza: Where the true tensions bubbled out below the surface, Sonic 2006: Where hedgehog's die, and Final Fantasy XIII-2: A YUEL WHO LOVED TO LET'S PLAY.

I personally love these guys, and I just wanted to share for those of you who don't actually obsessively click on the Let's Play subforum hoping that you'll someday soon see a thread about pokecapn and a sonic game again

Christ Lets Play is so loving dead it's not even funny anymore, it's just kind of sad.

edit: And it's because of poo poo like this

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 15, 2014

Rei_
May 16, 2004

There was a whole period there where the FF overworld tracks were really sleepy sounding, i like it.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Yeah like it took until the last boss of CT that I realized this entire dungeon is one giant FF3 JP homage. That takes a certain level of talent honestly.

Don Gato posted:

I feel sorry for the guy who first played VII and didn't realize that Aeris would die, and grinded her last limit break.

What's up

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I picked up FF13 on a lark from a drug store cheapo bin, figuring it had been long enough that I could have my own opinions on it and like... It's good? Like sure, weapon upgrades looks tedious as hell, the crystarium may as well just be a flat job-based progression system and the and battle system is sort of hard to follow... But I really like all of these characters? Sazh is wonderful, Lightning's a LOT more interesting than I hoped, Hope's deal actually kind of makes sense? Like when you think about it rationally? Snow is an idiot and people are right to hate him? Like... Idk, i'm really enjoying it. It's also gorgeous and the music is great.

Like, mechanically it's overproduced and underdeveloped. But it's a really good character-driven story.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Why are sewer levels so universally awful?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Oh poo poo, I have NO IDEA where my PSP is.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Why the hell do people play games they don't like just because other people are playing them?

Oh wait, Final Fantasy thread

Rei_
May 16, 2004

So I'm, I think, halfway through FF13. I just beat Barthalandus and I'm now in the Fifth Ark area. I'm having a really easy time with boss battles, but it's actually like, regular fights I'm having a lot of trouble with. Like, what really effective Paradigms I should be using to make combat easier in general? What should I be opening with, because I find I'm using Lightning/Vanille/Fang and opening with Solidarity (Com/Med/Sen) but I always wind up swapping over to Combat Clinic (Sen/Med/Med) in a panic.

I also have NO idea what I'm doing with the gear upgrading. Like none of my accessories have been upgraded at all because I'm trying to figure out how to upgrade the weapons effectively still.

I'm definitely going to beat it. I'm really enjoying everything but the combat part.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

All good advice! It really helped out.

Then I reached Bahamut.

:negative:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

VII Cid is the chump beyond all chumps.

God what a chump.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I'm gonna smash my head against this Hecatoncheir boss fight for a while I guess in FF13. I have a feeling I need to grind to beat this loving thing.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

So I beat FF13 today. Really...bizarre game. It's like a bunch of nice ideas but so heavily overproduced in some ways? The whole time I was like, 'this game really needs to loosen the gently caress up about itself'. It was REALLY good looking, and really well optimized, but a lot of its systems lacked a lot of personality that a sort of structure needs when it's that involved. I felt like the progression was barely noticeable and the weapon upgrading made no sense. Once you sort of figure out to open each fight as SEN/SYN/MED and then transition into SEN/SAB/MED and then just unleash hell the second Imperil lands on poo poo, it got pretty simplistic but even then really banal trash mob fights took way too loving long. Every single fight in the game takes way too long, and the game tended to throw monsters at you that were just ridiculously time-consuming to fight effectively, even when you should be more than well-equipped to fight them.

That said, it actually had a really good cast of characters. I actually wound up liking Fang, Vanille, Sazh and Hope. Lightning and Snow kind of stop being relevant halfway through, when the game becomes the Fang and Vanille Show in the games last third. The plot felt kind of directionless, like you're just running in circles for a lot of it. Still, it had a really bizarre charm about it I couldn't help but appreciate, like I get what it was TRYING to do and I really appreciate it for its cast moreso than what their overall goal was, whatever it was.

But gently caress that, I threw that back in the box and immediately launched into FF13-2 and HOLY CRAP WHAT A FUN GAME. It's like 13 just loosened its tie and went 'gently caress it let's just like, have a weird serialized time travel adventure thing'. The mechanics and the core gameplay have been nailed down finally, and it's like everything is just a lot faster and more mechanically coherent than before. It's unrepentantly weird and interesting at all times, and it's kind of breakneck in its pace. The monster training aspect is loving fun as hell, the paradigms shift a lot faster so now they feel more reactionary than strategic which is a lot more fun and snappy. You actually get to run around and explore poo poo. It's really cool, I'm really enjoying it. It's like all the fun things about one-off Doctor Who episodes collided with a mid-2000s JRPG and it's just this really entertaining, unashamed mess.

I put a hat on my weird jar cat and how can you not love this game.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I easily spent most of the game swapping betweeen Relentless Assault and Combat Clinic but basically the whole of Chapter 13 has you spending an ungodly amount of time whittling through each mob, certain fights are like you NEED Sentinel because anyone else is going to get one-shot. And up until then there's the occasional fight where you need to be dropping pain/fog on things, like those huge accordion-looking robot fuckers in Taejin's Tower where if you aren't keeping the thing silenced/pained he'll just continuously call in more reinforcements.

Like did everyone else just spend the entire game in tricasting? It felt like the game goes to great lengths starting with Chapter 11 to have you buffing and debuffing a lot.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 21, 2014

Rei_
May 16, 2004

There are very few FF games I'd actually call out and out BAD, maybe bad by the childhood standards people have built up for themselves but every FF game has its positive traits and its negative ones.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I was thinking more of the core 1-14 games. But yeah, 2 is... hm.

1 is just a good old fashioned party-management game in the spirit of the western tabletop games that inspired it.
2 was sort of a clusterfuck of experimentation
3 felt like it was a direct sequel to refining the tabletop ideas of 1 into a more flexible system
4 introduced broader scope and characterization, and the storytelling conceits of the FF games became more apparent
5 went back and refined the job system of 3 while focusing on the broader storytelling of 4, but I feel its plot was a bit weaker than 4
6 returned to static jobs but brought together the at that point most cohesively realized setting with fantastic art direction. It was just really well realized in all facets, a good example of gestamtkunstwerk
7 vies towards the more cinematic but leveraged new technology to bring scale and theatrical elements to the series. It also hasn't aged well AT ALL, it's a very dated looking game now in the worst way. It was also buggy and when you sort of step back and think about any of the characters interactions in terms of the games entire plot it seems INSANE.
8 experimented with mechanics with varying success but has a really compelling story that really suffered from localization more than anything
9 was clearly pushing the limits of what the PS1 was capable of and suffered for that, but probably had the most well-realized setting since 6 and was very straightforward in its mechanics
10 is about as refined and perfect as the party-based ATB system is ever going to get, it was very well laid out and presented to the player, and it had GORGEOUS visuals even today. Nomura's aesthetic showed its age here though and I don't think a lot of the characterization was well conveyed, but if you're willing to dig it's fantastic.
11 is the last pre-WOW MMO and it carries all that's sort of good and bad about that period of game design. Punishing and monotonous but a lot of interesting ideas here if you had a good group of friends to play with.
12 tries really hard to be Star Wars and I think the License Board is about as annoying as progression ever got in FF, but that's supposedly fixed in the Internatonal version. It's...got a lot of problems but it tries really hard.
13 is sort of all over the place in terms of its plot, and I don't think the combat was really all that fun until 13-2, but 13 has some fantastic characters in it and it has a lot of charm.
14's trending in a strange direction right now but it's probably the best MMO on the market, able to hold on, and even surpass WOW in a lot of ways. Sokken's music is loving incredible.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

So FF13-2 continues to be loving incredible

Rei_
May 16, 2004

chumbler posted:

Your enjoyment of the ending of Lightning Returns will be inversely proportional to how seriously you take Final Fantasy games, and that's all I'll say on it beyond what I've said already.

It genuinely seems like the 13 trilogy got better as it went on and it took itself less seriously.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Well like by 13-2 you're pretty much fighting the Doctor Who equivalent of Sephiroth complete with like weird creepy companion and it's impossible to take that poo poo at face value.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

They really wanted to push Crystal Tools as an in-house standard, but despite FF13 looking pretty loving sharp, 13-2 and 13-3 are pretty awfully optimized despite actually being not-bad games (I'll cop to 13 being kinda boring, but it looked REALLY NICE). When FF14 1.0 came out, Crystal Tools showed its major problems as being a good engine for a game that uses small areas with few NPCs, and definitely not sprawling environments with dozens, sometimes hundreds of things onscreen at once. Houseplants would have higher polycounts than player models, and the game ran like utter loving trash. This was, before a laundry list of poor design decisions that made the game basically unplayable.

2.O I'm pretty sure moved the client over to UE3, streamlined the entire design and rebuilt the entire game from the ground up, utterly annihilating 1.0 in an in-canon apocalypse that involved Bahamut coming out of the loving moon and loving up Eorzea. 2.0's development flew in the face of SE's entire corporate culture, and it was the kind of project the company desperately needed to show it was still capable of making good games. 2.0 manages to pay a lot of fanservice to FF, without being awkward about it. Sometimes I notice subtle touches like Syrcus Tower being an FF3 (NES)-inspired raid dungeon, and all of the trash mobs neatly line up in front and back rows before you pull them like they would in actual old school FF games. It manages to do a lot of things like this, just calmly and casually drawing elements in all over the series to tell its own story without making you're being forced to indulge in any of it. It's really quite something.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 8, 2014

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

There is nothing subtle about Crystal Tower being a FF3 reference/fanservice unless you consider them not saying "final fantasy 3" to be subtle.

If no one told me what Final Fantasy 3 was i'd just assume it was a coherent part of the games world.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Eh, I still feel like JRPGs are trying to figure out what combat looks like in the current gen. A lot of what we considered JRPG mechanics were largely based on the limitations of hardware. 10 was about as refined as that older model gets because its core system was so transparent and almost gave every single possible party combination times to shine (poor Kimahri) but you can't just keep DOING that when the market demands some level of innovation. 12 moved it a bit closer to MMO-style design but some of its systems were loving BAFFLING. 13 actually had a really interesting system in place, and by 13-2 it had been refined into something really fun.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

13-2 is pretty hype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Mischitary posted:

Well folks, I guess the Versus dream is all but dead now unless you're like me and was actually interested in Versus for something other than the gameplay. This doesn't seem like Versus anymore, it seems like Final Fantasy. This new combat system seems like a more dynamic, action packed version of 12's than a KH game.

but this is a good thing, like you're only saying good things