Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Quick question: What's the best version of FFV to play these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004

W.T. Fits posted:

General consensus is either the GBA version or the iOS version.

Cool, thanks!

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
I've been playing FF13, about 14 hours in currently, and I'm surprisingly not hating it. I haven't played an FF since 8, and I think 13's biggest offender is that it's just boring. Combat seems so passive, which is dissonant from how it actually looks - it's so exciting to look at but the input it requires from the player is next to nothing. So far, all the fights I've had have been easily won by switching between a damage/chain focused paradigm to a medic paradigm, and that's about it. As a fan of Shin Megami Tensei games, I think this older school style of JRPG combat just doesn't work for me.

At least the game is insanely pretty at times. Unfortunately, the map design doesn't do the visuals any favors. I cannot believe they tried to apply Call of Duty level design to a JRPG; it's ridiculous to the point of parody. Literally every map is a hallway. Sometimes it turns, sometimes it goes up or down, or whatever... the game is hallways, fights, cutscene, boss, switch characters, repeat. Even the chrystarium system is a hallway in level up form. No exploration, no sense of place, no towns. It's weird! But for some reason I keep playing because I want to see where this batshit crazy story goes and I kind of like Snow, Lightning, and Sazh. Hope is annoying as hell. The music is fantastic too, but the lack of a traditional FF victory song at the end of battles is an omission I cannot forgive.

I know most of what I said has been endlessly harped on in this Thread About The Worst Games, but I wanted to add my two cents. I'm not even sure why I'm playing beyond "Hey, Lightning Returns might be pretty good!" but for now my plan is to at least play through 13 and 13-2. At some point I might even try to go back and play 9, 10, and 12, or even just finish 7 and 8. My whole enjoyment of FF games rests purely on my opinion that 4 was pretty good and 6 is great, but of course we'll never get FF6-2 or even a 3D remake.

But yeah man, FF13 is loving weird.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
I actually like most of the main party in FFXIII, but I'm still not done yet and I haven't played XIII-2. Seeing Snow cosplaying as Raiden in Lightning Returns promos has me a little confused, but whatever. At least the voice acting's good (in spite of the terrible direction, as discussed).

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
No deal unless I can play with Sir Isaac of Clarke's armor.

ninjedit - chocobo armor DLC.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Has anyone lined up the minimaps from 13-1 so that it makes one long hallway?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
The style of sprites for the iOS/Android games looks like such awful, cheap, amateur garbage. I have a huge soft spot for FF6 but with the way it looks in the upcoming releases, I'm just going to avoid it.

Goddamnit, Square-Enix. Get your poo poo together.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004

Gologle posted:

Shut up. Jut shut the gently caress up. Every single time since you started your LP of Lunar 2 I've managed to forget Dragon Song ever existed until you keep bringing it back up. Please man, come on. Do you time these things or something? Do you get out of bed at a preconceived time and say: "WELP, I'm gonna go remind the world that Dragon Song was a thing!" loving walking draining your health. loving boring rear end plot and boring rear end characters. Why does the goddess, who has always had blue hair, appear as a pink haired girl? There are tons of stuff that I'd managed to bury about this dreadful entry into one of my most loved video game series, that you just keep tearing the scars open on.

I'm going to order Dragon Song off Amazon right now, thanks for this post.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004

Squallege posted:

The Judges are the most clothed people in the game and they had no other choice than to be.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot there was a female judge.

This is loving awesome. I want armor like that for characters in all my RPGs.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
My only memory of Final Fantasy II is from an RPG Maker remake (using the default character and tile sets) that was pretty competently done, and I ended up getting about five hours into it.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
*points a gun at Snow's head

You're the hero... right?!

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
I feel like Square updated some of the environment textures in the Steam port of FFIV, or at least some look better than I remember from the DS version, but man could they have put at least a tiny bit of effort into the textures on the main characters? Incredibly pixelated! I hope someone finds out how to mod in some nicer textures.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
For the life of me I can't get the Steam version of FFXIII to run at a decent frame rate. I've tried loving around with Durante's fix with actually worse results. Anyone had any luck?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Speaking of, is the GBA version still the best FF6?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
I really like XIII's battle system, but haven't played 2 or LR. Does it get better or worse, systems-wise?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
For them to get on stage and announce a port of a port and literally nothing else is such a shame. They hint at wanting to deliver content for fans, like with FFXIV and Theaterhythm, but then they do poo poo like this and you realize that they really have no clue what to do with their biggest franchise in tyool 2014.

Which is a shame because it seems like the fans know what they want. Square-Enix just won't provide it for some reason?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
I'm really loving angry about that GameFAQs poll.

FFVI aged way better.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
I would pay upwards of $20-30 for a full Chrono Trigger pack with characters too. So on this DLC.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
If they just put out like a $30 DLC add-on of Chrono Trigger music and characters, I would die. And then resurrect myself and buy that add-on.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Project Z will be like Project X Zone but for Square-Enix properties.

Slimes, Moogles, and Rabites working together!

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
I just ordered Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD ReMIX even though I'm only like an hour into KH1.5 and don't care for it.

What is wrong with me.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004

I want support, not acceptance.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
When are these loving tracks dropping, I need Vamo' Alla Flamenco in my life.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
If they released more character DLC for these non FF games, I'd buy every single goddamn one.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Counterpoint: FFIII PC is a bad port of a bad remake of a mediocre game.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
I bought $15 worth of Curtain Call DLC today.

The best Final Fantasy game continues its reign of terror on my eshop wallet.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
I just wish they'd add more character DLC for these non-FF games.

I WOULD BUY ALL THE CHRONO TRIGGER CHARACTERS AND ENJOY IT.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Good lord, that Mystic Quest looks like loving garbage. Looks like a fan game.

Weird that Square-Enix finally found a company worse than Matrix at remaking old FF games.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
I never liked Mystic Quest but surely it deserves a better fate than this.

The soundtrack does at least.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Dark Design games is a UK based video game design and developer (Jake Jackson) that aspires young minds and alike from entry-level video game design, as basic as 2D right through to high-end and consumer level 3D game design.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Speaking of, I started playing Crisis Core and what the gently caress is up with that combat system. There's some sort of slot machine thing that will seemingly randomly activate some super powerful attack that could trigger during a boss fight, or when some random trash mob has like 10% HP left. It's not an action game, but you run around in real time during the fights and select attacks and spells in real time, and dodging is important. It just feels janky as gently caress because nothing is as smooth as it should be. Granted, it's a PSP game, but the God of War games weren't this stilted, so why should CC feel so weird. It's not turning me off playing the game, but it's off-putting and they should've just gone all in as an action game with some minor RPG elements.

I feel the same way about Kingdom Hearts.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Y'all getting some loving Curtain Call DLC today!?

I can't believe how much I look forward to DLC for this thing... Every time a pack releases, I'm out at least a few bucks.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
I spent way too much time filling out that open-ended question in the Square-Enix survey they tweeted out. No one will read it, but I hope someone does.

The gist of it was that I hate the way they handle re-releases of old games (90% mobile) and it sucks I can't buy old games like Valkyrie Profile on PSN, or Live A Live on the eShop. I also said an FF7 remake would have to be redesigned from the ground up to be acceptable by modern standards, so yeah it WOULD be too expensive, lol.

The one game I wished for in the future was a new Chrono game :allears:

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Y'know, if Cid Raines had done exactly that, I would've been pleased.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Forget best FF game, Curtain Call is the best Square-Enix game.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
So, will there not be anymore Curtain Call DLC?

bc I might have a problem with that.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I found Record Keeper kind of boring honestly. I wish the characters were more like their actual game selves. Instead they feel kind of generic + limit break.

I feel like there's a version of Final Fantasy: Greatest Hits in my head that is way cooler than this boring phone game. It's not even a good game for a phone because it takes way too long to load or do anything. The "your going into battle!"-chime followed by several seconds of loading is giving me 'Nam flashbacks of the PlayStation ports.

It replaced the One Piece game as my dumb fanservice mobile game of choice, but not for long.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
I unsubbed from FFXIV because I've played probably a dozen hours in the last four months. I have too many Kingdom Hearts games to finish.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Snow is cool and I like tough moms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
I really like FF6 and I wish there was a fancy updated version to play like there is with FF3 and 4.

(that isn't the terrible looking mobile release)