Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

crosspost incoming: Beat FFX for the first time ever after never giving it a chance when it initially released. Really enjoyed it. The postgame was too grindy, but I did stick it out enough to get all of the Celestial Weapons and Aeons. Told myself i'd at least attempt a few superbosses; I beat Dark Valefor, Dark Ifrit, and Omega. I didn't really try any others. Filling out the sphere grid and grinding out rare mats didn't feel worth it. I kinda prefer superbosses to have a 'purpose' so it feels cool beating them.

Probably gonna wait for 12 to come out on Switch and try that one next!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

CeallaSo posted:

That's not how you spell Butz.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Ramza is the best FF protag, spin-off designation be damned

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Zell, even with his Mike Tyson face tattoo and love of hotdogs, would have been a better choice than Squall's sorry rear end

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOSrK7plwg0

And then a fisherman kicks your rear end.

Apparently there's a theory Miguel is Crono somehow.

Getting brutally owned by a fisherman named Miguel in a game that has bosses with names such as Dragon God and Time Devourer is a very vivid and cursed memory of mine from those days

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

When I'm done with 9 ill be heading to another FF I've never played, which are:

IV, X-2, XII, XIII (Trilogy), XV

Is XIII really that much of a dumpster fire that I should read a plot synopsis and move on to XIII-2 if it were to get chosen?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Scalding Coffee posted:

You would be reading about the plot anyway since the game doesn't tell you much about it through cutscenes. :cheeky:

The rng gods choose for me so I guess we'll see. 9 is great so far but I'm glad the 4x speed exists

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Ff9's fun tale of adventure with colorful characters certainly takes a turn rather early :smithfrog:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Nephzinho posted:

Don't you mean Tactics Ogre LUCT.

Por que no los dos?

I never finished LUCT but loved what I played of it

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Lump me into the "Enjoys original translation" FFT crowd. I don't think it's better, there are just lines that are very memorable for me I.e. "Blame yourself or God."

Those lines just resonated with my young self.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

A Sometimes Food posted:

Not my favourite but close and I'm also working on probably my sixth time beating it (this time on Switch).

gently caress I hate Tetra Master though, why is it even a thing? Why does it have such a completely arcane way of determining if a card wins.

I'm on Disc 3 and I have yet to engage outside of the tutorial. I've read it's not important like in VIII so I'm skipping it.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

A Sometimes Food posted:

Yeah I know but it's still there, and I like goofy collectables with enemies on them, so it being so bad irritates me in a sort of low key way every time I get a card or see the card game prompt.

I still get that fuzzy feeling when I get a rare one; I just wish the game itself didn't suck. I'd be more willing to chase cool cards or do the mini-games that yield them

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Final Fantasy taught me that no spell that doesn't do direct damage will ever have any effect on any enemy.

FFX and FFT did a good job of encouraging use of status/buff/debuff magic, IMO. Hell it was downright necessary in some cases

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Mega64 posted:

Turn your TV on.

Got em

Yeah Tidus does suck. He's the reason I didn't give the game a shot back when it came out. If it helps, he does improve alot by the end of the game. I have to wonder if the Japanese version is better. His lines and delivery seem really stilted

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

morallyobjected posted:

welcome to the world of being the first voice-acted FF and also they had to match the length of the Japanese audio files down to the second otherwise the game would crash.

Yeah they said that on the Watch Out For Fireballs episode. That's pretty hosed, but also interesting. Puts a lot in perspective.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

So im playing FF9 on Switch and everything is cool, except now it crashes at the scene immediately after beating Meltigemini every. Single. Time.

I reloaded to repeat the fight and it still does it. It literally crashes as soon as Dagger's speech bubble appears. I restarted my Switch and the same thing happens.

Great.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Rirse posted:

That didn’t happen to me on the Switch. Dunno what wrong.

Yeah I'm stuck. Bums me out... I guess I could try reloading an even earlier save.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

FFIV is great so far.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oh it's not loss :(

It is if you believe it is

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Relin posted:

finished ff12 finally. not sure what venat's motivation was, the character barely existed. vayne was lame,and the final boss sucked. music was generic throughout, probably one of the worst ff soundtracks. also i probably wasnt paying enough attention but how did destroying the sun cryst prevent the occuria from meddling in mortal affairs

just have ff15 in two weeks left

FF12's boss theme seems really good? I haven't played 12 yet so I can't speak for the rest

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Finished FF4 sans Lunar Ruins and I'm on Disc 4 of FF9. Just beat Ozma whilst on the shitter, which is no more than that meteor-flinging gently caress deserves.

FF4 was really charming. I'm not a fan of ATB but it didn't hurt this game at all. Ive never had an FF villain call me an 'ignorant dotard' so points for that I guess. I plan on finishing the postgame later.

FF9 is also very charming thus far. The characters are mostly a joy, with only Amarant and Quina being kinda meh. They're fun to use in battle, at least.

After this ill only have 2, 12, 13, and 15 as FF mainline games ive never played. Ill probably wait for 12 on Switch, so it'll be between the other 3.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Amarant gets some good character moments with Freya and Eiko, I think they do a decent job given how little time they have to develop him.

'Meh' comparatively, I should have said. I did like his moments with Freya and Zidane.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

FactsAreUseless posted:

The best romances in an FF game are Zidane/Garnet, Balthier/Fran, and Umaro/Mog

Barrett/Cloud

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Whenever I get around to replaying 6, should I play the mobile version or just stick with the SNES version?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

jokes posted:

I also am playing through 6 (and 5) before XII drops on Switch. These are just really great games.

5 owns hard. Fiesta time is only 2 and half months away! :woop:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

S.J. posted:

I've never played 4 or 5. Be honest with me, here, how good are they?

So I just finished 4 and 9 together, and I agree with everyone that 4 is the seed from which Square's current good/bad habits grew. It's an epic game wtih a lot of iconic moments, but it's very self-indulgent and goes back to the well a bit too much. It vacilates between having too much padding and moving very quickly. The battle system is a proof of concept for 6, bred from the concepts in 3. I prefer the deep Job-based systems of V, Tactics, and X to some degree, but it's still fun to play. 4 is definitely worth playing and I'm glad I did.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Alright, folks: 2, 13, 15?

I realize they're vastly different but like I said those are the last 3 FF games remaining that I haven't played also 12. hello, Switch release in late April.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

corn in the bible posted:

I genuinely wouldn't recommend you play any of those. Like, you don't need to play every Final Fantasy. Maybe try another series? Dragon Quest? Tales?

It's just a kick i'm on, and only the main titles. I actually did DQ and fell off hard on 6. That game just didnt grab me like 4 and 5. I'll return to that series soon.

I gave up on FF after 8, and playing X kind of re-ignited my enjoyment of the series. I used to love it, so I'm just going back to see what I missed. I'll also accept recommendations.

I'm definitely going to play the remaster of 12. It sounds like my poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Algus and Dycedarg are memorable assholes. Evil Jesus sucks as a villain

Edit: the entire Nobility class of that game was collectively a bunch of fuckers

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 21, 2019