Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Calaveron posted:

Didn't they have to make sets of super overpowered equipment to make those guys even be on par with the original guys?

There was an extra dungeon added to give penultimate weapons to the others. I don't recall them being unbalanced, but the extras could equip most of the same armor within their character archetypes (i.e. Yang could equip gear the same as Edge, Cid shared with Kain, Palom & Porom with Rydia and Rosa, etc).

And yeah, the last dungeon, which required each person to beat Zeromus to access their special floor, gave OP gear provided you could beat the Guardian of the floor (which was an overpowered summoned monster). Edward had an actual use against Cecil's guardian (Odin), since you could cast a lightning spell, have Edward hide, Odin Zanzetsukens the rest of party to death, then Odin dies from lightning striking his blade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I beat the original KH, but man KH2 was an awful slog to get things going, and is textbook video game example of "how not to start a video game."

As a sidenote, now that I beat Zelda I've been continuing World of Final Fantasy. It's a fantastic game especially now that I got the magitek armor.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Saint Freak posted:

Get hosed cleric stance and accuracy.

Healers still won't dps because "it's not their job".

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Blitzball, lightning dodging and chocobo racing... man, FFX made you do some real poo poo to get the best weapons.

I'd almost rather catch frogs.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm not sure what the deal was with Kihmari. I couldn't tell if the developers either forgot to expand his board, or intended to make him more of a wild card character that you choose what kind of fighter you wanted him to be, albeit he'd always be behind the main character. Either way he's probably one of the worst characters in any FF game.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Nomura did fine with WoFF, even if Reynn and Lann look like they were straight up pulled out of Kingdom Hearts.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
It really makes me wonder what the scope of the content is beyond remaking the base game. And yes I realize there won't be any reusing assets so everything will be from the ground up.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Once you hit the world of ruin in FF6, I can't think of too many tone shifts outside of Jidoor embracing it's upper class roots and Thamasa going back to being a cooky wizard town.

The first time playing through that I only felt despair. I hosed up and killed Cid so Celes attempts suicide (looking back, I think this it's probably the darkest the series has ever gone), then you see a town get wrecked in order to recruit Sabin. Terra gets owned, your first fight with Edgar back is a real bitch. Hell, once you get the airship, the airship music is incredibly solemn, and Deathgaze can attack you at any moment.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I always thought GFs causing memory loss was a dumb "how do we write us out of this dilemma" cop-out in FF8. Irvine was a boring cliche ladies man, but I loved his limit break the best.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
As someone who played both NES and DS versions of 3, I felt they were mostly the same except a few things:

- they tried to shoehorn characters in instead of avatars. Wasn't bad but still pretty plain.
- The DS version made bosses harder, but the hardest dungeon got nerfed (the one where enemies split when hit by physical non-dark knight weapons) because of the limit of the amount of enemies on screen.
- job balance got tweaked in the DS one, trying to make every job valuable as opposed to having elite jobs. Ninja and Sage got nerfed hard, meaning a 2 ninja 2 sage party was no longer the best. Still, the ideal party usually ended up being knight / ninja / devout or sage / summoner anyway, unless you grinded for onion knight.
- iron giant, sure.

Overall I guess the argument could have been it didn't do enough. Adding save points in dungeons would have been nice. Oh well.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Dissidia NT looks real good. Hopefully they can add Noctis as a playable character.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Bongo Bill posted:

For what it's worth, I prefer the new translation of FF6 to the original. Ted Woolsey did a great job with the severe constraints he was under, but he was constrained, and just one man besides.

Ted Woolsey Script posted:

Relm: What's wrong, lover boy?
Edgar: How old are you?
Relm: 10... why?
Relm: I'm coming along, too.
Edgar: You've grown up entirely too fast! Lighten up, okay!?

Tom Slattery Script posted:

Relm: What's wrong, lover-boy?
Edgar: ...How old are you?
Relm: Ten... Why?
Relm: Weirdo. I'm going on ahead, okay?
Edgar: Not even a lady yet... Here's hoping you're still around in eight years, kid.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Woolsey, and most translators take certain liberties when translating, which is all well and good most of the time. I don't have any particular issue with him deciding to not convey Edgar as a super creepy pedo on a Nintendo console. Instead, he was just portrayed as your average creep.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Xenoblade Chronicles had two major issues: bad RNG for item gathering in the fetch quests, and the lack of a gambit system. The computer AI was just awful at controlling your other characters, mainly Shulk (always picked lovely Monado abilities), Melia (couldn't figure out how to use her summons), and Sharla (always overheated her rifle). I'm not sure if the re-release fixed any of that.

Anyway, FFXII is good, not the greatest. But good.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I did it

I finally dodged 200 lightning bolts

Edit: happy 1987 page, the year FF1 came out.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
To be fair, there is a pretty fool-proof way to dodge 200 lightning bolts:

https://youtu.be/te-ihMHRtJ8

I followed that, and it worked out well. I only messed up twice, first was at 20 because I had a lapse in judgment. Second was around 180 because I double tapped X. It takes around 15 minutes. I would take small breaks every 50 dodges to wipe the sweat off my hands and drink some water.

To go through other ultimate weapons:

Tidus: probably 2nd most frustrating. It's half skill and RNG. I consistently started getting my times below 12 seconds before I lucked into a perfect run.

Kihmari: really isn't too bad, just takes some practice. You're allowed to hit 1 red butterfly and still finish in time.

Wakka: as long as you cheese the blitzball reward system, it isn't too bad. Will require a few soft resets. Start blitzball early, and backtrack to Besaid to get Vilucha as your other forward aside Tidus, to Kilika to get Tatts as your midfielder, snag Wedge at Luca to be your defender (you'll probably have to play him at forward first), Zalitz in Luca, and Kyou at Djose as your goalie (or grab any goalie, there's a lot available early on better than Keepa). Replace Zalitz with Ropp in the mid 20s, and Kyou with Nimrook when you get the airship. Your team will win easily.

Yuna and Auron: if you're going for a 100% run, you'll get this easily.

Rikku: time consuming if anything, especially if you want the best rewards / AP from the cactuars.

Playing through FFX again has been really fun. I like the story a lot more as an adult, and have grown to like all the characters in their own certain way. Tidus is just a dumb dude that doesn't get religion. Yuna tries hard, and loves her friends to a fault. Kihmari is a lost soul who found purpose in his life. Wakka is the blitzball version of Tim Tebow, religious zealot who's retired from the game but not really. Lulu was made to look goth, but she never really comes across that way unless you talk about Chappu. Rikku is a persecuted minority that still manages to stay happy, part of me thinks it would have been a good social queue had they given her darker skin. Auron manages to stay alive because of a friend's wish.

Even Seymour is up there in terms of my favorite enemy. Dude abuses power and religion to gently caress over the people he doesn't like, and literally refuses to die. I think he would have been a much better boss rep for Dissidia over Jecht. I wish the game had a few more quality of life improvements, like making the cloister trials not such a slog, or giving us a load option rather than soft resetting to the opening screen. Oh well.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Black magic becoming obsolete in favor of summons is a time honored tradition in Final Fantasy. Lulu is great early on, however.

I felt like Rikku could have used more development in X beyond being Yuna's cousin of a different race, but I'm guessing gets addressed in X2 (which admittedly I haven't beat yet, but plan to go through after beating this run of X).

I really liked the social commentary on people blindly following religion even if it means turning away scientific advancement. Having Wakka be a poster child for that was a good narrativr, and then slowly changing his mind as he finds out that Rikku is a decent person, and not a terrorist was cool too.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Somewhere between 3 to 5. It was probably FF4

Look at this dude forgetting Knights of the Round.

PS1 era summons were pretty great. 7 arguably had the best summons, 8 had Eden which you could break the damage barrier with, and 9 had Ark. I would agree 3-5 outclassed black magic with 6 being the opposite mainly because quick / dual cast for Ultima was a thing.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Fast forward in battles was a thing in World of Final Fantasy, and that was a great feature. They added the fast sail in the Wind Waker remaster, which significantly improved the quality of life of that game. Fast forward should be in every remake.

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm really glad that they're actually improving on the original game for FF12 instead of just making an upscaled port with unskippable cutscenes like FF10.

On top of that, soft reset takes you back to the menu of FFX/X-2 remastered rather than the menu of the game you were playing. So that means when I'm trying to optimize my blitzball winnings, I have to reload all of FFX instead.

The FFX remaster was pretty poor in terms of new features.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm coming up to endgame on FFX. I got everyone's celestial weapons unlocked, I'm running people through their second sphere grids (got Auron and Kihmari on Wakka's, Tidus on Auron's, Rikku's on Tidus and I swapped Lulu and Yuna). My hits are doing about 15k damage. I've been mostly grinding Omega Ruins, before I set up those insane weapons to farm AP with the overdrive->AP trick. At what point are the dark aeons passable? I haven't fought Omega Weapon but it doesn't look that hard, even though the HD version gave it a bunch more HP.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

zedprime posted:

Dark Aeons fall between completely filling out the sphere grid and min-maxing it with the correct addon spheres. Closer to the latter for most of them.

gently caress.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think the amount of hype the XII remake has made means it deserves it's own thread cause I see like a ton of posts and it's all about team compositions.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

precision posted:

I think I put about 10 hours into that, and my wife maybe a little more, and it seemed like it was just way too basic to stay very fun, does it get more... complex? Eventually?

Speaking from someone who beat the game, you can make it as complex as you want. One of the things you really want to do is unlock as many boards as possible, and try to stick to a core group of monsters that you can swap between classes, i.e. your black nakk can turn into a grey nakk, keeping the same level and transfers points over too (you want high sync levels). In general, certain dungeons have specific weaknesses, so you can build a team that caters towards that weakness, like a volcano, so bring water types. Or an underwater dungeon, so bring lightning types.

If there's one issue with the game, it's that you don't know the elemental weakness of bosses unless you use a walkthrough.Unlocking all of the monsters requires beating mini games that make all of the FFX celestial mini games seem fun (besides blitzball, because blitzball is cool and good). Even if your team composition is bad, you can still beat the game. I was a big fan of behemoth, mandragora, magitek armor, and shiva.

Overall it's a fun game, there's good cameos and lots of interactions with Final Fantasy characters (Edgar and Vivi becoming friends is cute in its own way, as is Cloud and Celes).

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
FF12's random chest thing was just weird grindy nature that all mainline FF games have. I remember spending an hour or two trying to get the Excalibur to show up in a chest, and that poo poo was a nightmare. Heck, I spent an hour last night grinding One-Eye from FFX monster arena trying to get a triple AP weapon for Auron to drop. Speaking of which, I turned Wakka into a killing machine that hits for 99k provided armor isn't a big deal.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

IcePhoenix posted:

The last part of the omega raid will be competing against seven other worlds with all the losing worlds being erased.

The other four worlds, deemed the strongest of the 12, are exempt from this of course.

Nah, that'll be the plot of Chrono Break.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
So far the only aeon abuse I've been doing has been with farming dark flan for magic spheres. I taught Anima haste and shell, and before summoning him I use reflect + slow on the flan. After that I basically spam pain till he's dead. My Anima has 18k hp, and with shell, can survive all of its attacks without healing.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Is that trick to get that incredibly strong weapon early on (the dark blade or something or other?) still around? I remember having to go through mines and avoid all enemies to do it. I gave it to Penelo and turned her into a murdering machine.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Controversial opinion: all mainline FFs are good. Most of the spinoffs / sequels are good too.

Except Dirge of Cerberus and After Years.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
FFX is pretty fun to get all the characters full on the sphere grid if you like grinding. The grind itself is pretty easy once you farm One-Eye for triple AP weapons and do the Don Tonberry trick with Overdrive->AP. At that point it becomes a sphere farming thing, but the international version added extract power/mana/speed/ability, making it a hell of a lot easier.

I like watching Yuna whack a dude with her cane for 5 figures of damage.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

I just wish there was more to the actual combat at that point. "Everyone spams Quick Hit and uses overdrives" just gets so old, no matter how much HP Penance has.

(Yes, I realize the same thing can be said of Yiazmat. I never said I liked Yiazmat either :v:)

I do at some point want to take on dark aeons without Yojimbo. Now that Wakka hits for 99k reliably and I've been able to mostly figure out attack reels I think I can do it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Andrast posted:

World of FF would have been better if you weren't forced to use Reynn and Lann in the stacks for almost the whole game.

:agreed:

Also, only allowing 8 (or 9? I can't remember) monsters to get experience at a time was really frustrating.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Andrast posted:

The FFXV boy band is good

Except Gladio, he's kind of a dick.

Also, someone earlier mentioned that a job system would fix every FF game. I really wonder how a job system could be implemented into XV.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Help Im Alive posted:

Let's pray XV-2 is an Aranea/Lunafreya/Iris/Gentiana roadtrip

e: I guess Cindy would make more sense than Gentiana because I can't remember what she does except appear in photos sometimes

Gentiana was Shiva.

Also, watch SE be like "we got it! We know how to appeal to female players" and have a game based around Cindy, Luna, Iris and Aranea hanging around wearing uggs, drinking lattes, doing yoga and having Rosé parties.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I just looked and realized how close Ashe and Lightning look in terms of design. Lightning is obviously a lot more dignified.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

precision posted:

Vivi is probably the single best character in any FF game, real talk.

From a character development or damage dealing side? Character development he's probably in the top 5. Damage dealing wise, not so much. His syncing with Steiner was cool, though.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The best final fantasies are 6, and 9. Final Fantasy 69, if you will.

precision posted:

Wakka is maybe the worst party member ever, personality wise

Even Zell was better

I'm sorry you couldn't be friends with Blitzball Tim Tebow.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
World of final fantasy has cool mechanics of stacking parties to make super teams with their own strengths and weaknesses. It's not particularly hard. I think of it as this generation's mystic quest. But fun.

My main critiques are that the main characters are too one dimensional. Lann is always the obtuse idiot, with Reynn dunking on him. Tama's verbal tic gets a little tiring too. Also, grinding takes a while if you're into that sort of thing and you can't take Lann and Reynn out of your party for a long time.

They do reference a lot of stuff, and when you capture dudes they have funny jokes written in the description. They make fun of poorly received parts of the series, too, specifically the laughing scene from FFX.

Edit: you really only need to level up 1 monster type of each monster. Catch the others to unlock their board, then just convert the one you're leveling up into the different monster types.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 28, 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Hot take: while obviously Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross have some amazing musical pieces (either field / town / event), their battle music is extremely forgettable. CT's superboss music (i.e. the one that plays during Masamune and the Son of Sun) is meh, especially when compared to Battle to the Death from FF6.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Her Dryer posted:

I'll love the Ring of Lucis forever because it let me kill Adamantoise in about 30 seconds.

Wait, it works against Adamantoise?

Looks like it's time for me to reboot that game again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I kind of stopped playing XV after I was in one of the optional dungeons and got tired of having to fight the same lovely enemies over and over again. The Adamantoise trophy was the last one I needed to get platinum too. I had everything mostly ready, including the zwill crossblades and whatnot. I guess I got something to do tonight!