Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Artix74 posted:

There's not a drat thing wrong with that. :colbert: I am proud to say I started with that game.

I started with the first FF game, but I had Mystic Quest. I got stuck in the ice area as a kid, because I didn't realize you could jump on something or move something, or whatever. I tried for like a month, and started over a few times but never got past that part. So I did the next logical thing - I wrote a letter to Squaresoft telling them I was stuck!

I got a letter back a couple of weeks later from someone there, thanking me and telling me how to beat the part I was stuck at. Sure, probably just some intern, but I was young enough at the time to be loving stoked. I still actually have that letter in a drawer somewhere. The night I got that letter, I beat the ice boss and finally moved on. That was also the first time in my life I had a hoagie, so sub sandwiches and Final Fantasy Mystic Quest are forever intertwined in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
They added a monster collecting mini game to X-2?

I really like X-2 and it has my favorite FF battle system but man they made some infuriating decisions with it.

May 8, 2006

If you feel bad about missing something as a kid that is obvious now, keep in mind that I'm the guy who had to write a letter as a child to Square because I got stuck in FF Mystic Quest.

May 8, 2006

bloodychill posted:

What did you get stuck in?

And I'm going to read that Gologle plot post when I take a break from WoFF this evening, that is my poo poo.

A block pushing puzzle in the ice area - I didn't realize the ice blocks could also be jumped on to cross gaps.

May 8, 2006

For the IZJS is there a good primer on job combinations and so on? Since it's a Final Fantasy game I assume you can beat it as long as you're vaguely trying you can beat it, but I wouldn't mind knowing about some cool combos going in since if I understand correctly the job assignments are permanent.

May 8, 2006

Vote for me and I'll make dog endings in games mandatory. Cat endings will be optional but subsidized.

May 8, 2006

With how Mystic Quest is simple (but good) and the changes to make ff2/4 easier, did they have any solid reason to believe western gamers would find the games too hard or was it just some weird nonsense they decided on their own.

May 8, 2006

Yeah I learned about the 'missing' FF games and the perception that the west would find them too hard, and you best believe I made some mad posts about it on GameFAQs in my time.

Fortunately of those only FFV is actually any good, and I've never actually played the SNES version of it.

May 8, 2006

Unless you're very dedicated my advice would be to try ff2 and 3 and just move on whenever you start to get either bored or frustrated.

May 8, 2006

It's a weird bit of forums culture that using a couple dozen extra characters and clicking on spoiler blocks is seen as a big ask.

I agree there should be a line (and honestly Games is much better about it than the TV forum) but I think that major plot points only 3 months after pc launch for such a large game is well within it.

May 8, 2006

In spite of FFXVs many flaws, I am completely here for the modern rural road trip with final fantasy bullshit jammed into it aesthetic. Give me more gaudy diners with FF monsters 30 feet outside or weird mutant giraffes milling around on the side of the road under power lines.

May 8, 2006

I've tried a couple of times to get into WoFF and bounced off each time. I figured it would be for me, because I'm the exact right sucker for monster collecting and pandering FF nostalgia, but it didn't take. I'm having a hard time articulating why I didn't like it but I think it's basically that it's too slow in all regards. Everything about it just seemed to drag.

May 8, 2006

Dog Gestahl is my Gestahl

May 8, 2006

The ff7 remake, should it ever come out, might be cool but I have zero faith that an ff8 remake wouldn't try and shave off all the weird poo poo that makes it interesting.

May 8, 2006

I liked FFXV but I'll admit the Final Fantasy Americana aesthetic hits me just right so I'll overlook a number of problems for it.

May 8, 2006

I agree that the dissonance exists between modern and fantasy in XV but I think that's part if why it works for me, so I don't know that I'd change much. I probably have an essay about XV's world and my personal travel around the country in my brain somewhere but I haven't really put a ton of thought into it.

I will say that being at a regular rear end gas station knowing over the hill behind it is some coeurls or whatever rules for some reason.

May 8, 2006

If you want to be more charitable I think you could say the two discussion issues are intertwined. Some people mash through a game with no strategy beyond use biggest attack and sometimes heal, but as mentions many jrpgs aren't very clear about how buffs/debuffs/status effects are helping you, if they even work. How many games have a pile of status effects that are basically only effective when used on the player?

EDIT: also yeah the genre as a whole is very easy

May 8, 2006

Barudak posted:

13 is a direct evolution (and massive improvement) on X-2s combat system.

They don't change outfits in battle so I don't see how this can be true.

May 8, 2006

Yeti is a difficult job, show some damned respect

May 8, 2006

Weird bit to post a bunch of correct pronunciations of Chrono Trigger names

May 8, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

what do the hot dogs represent

As Ultimecia wishes to compress time into a singularity, so does Zell desire meats compressed into one. From here, the parallels should be obvious.

May 8, 2006

Elvis_Maximus posted:

It does, but don't worry: the back half of the game still barely makes sense

I played it last year and it was still really fun. Honestly, I was surprised how much I still enjoyed it!

After having not played it for many years, I just finished up a playthrough last night and I've gotten a lot of newfound appreciation for some of the stuff going on in that game.

There's a lot of details I don't envy someone trying to capture in the remake if it actually comes out, which it won't.

May 8, 2006

I tried to get into WoFF but even for a nostalgia addled fool like me the pacing/battle system just didn't keep me interested

May 8, 2006

Proudly, I only read lists of which Final Fantasy is the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 8, 2006

FF16 is just a game version of the FFX audio drama

you know what part it is I want to see