Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

NikkolasKing posted:

So as I near the end of my second FFXIII run, I'm wondering something.

Which is the hardest FF game? We were talking about game difficulty and stuff the other page and while I know that no FF is really that hard, some have to be more challenging than others for one reason or another.

I would ask which is the easiest but it seems plain to me that VIII is the only choice. Or maybe II.

Then again, game difficulty is the most subjective thing in the world it seems. Ask ten people about how hard a game was and you'll get ten different answers.
Easiest would be X since encounters are geared for certain characters. Hardest would have the most archaic systems to wear you down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Kanfy posted:

Not sure what you mean by that, but X is definitely not the easiest game by any stretch as it has a number of pretty harsh bossfights and some of the most debilitating status effects in the series.

VIII is most likely the easiest one simply because it allows you to spam Limit Breaks so easily even if you don't otherwise smash it apart. Tactics Advance is incredibly easy as well if you count it.
After gaming for 20 years at that point, the PS2 era games did not seem so hard as when I was playing the early titles as a dumb kid. 30 years and having to select a potion 100 times is way more daunting when I have better mechanics to spend my time on.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The thing you should know about FF2, are that shields increase agility, which leads to you being able to better dodge attacks to the point where you would be taking 400 damage, versus 6000+ without using them. Heavy armor increases your strength, which can make fighting the Captains easier and to increase your HP/MP. The casting cost of spells is not even an issue with Swap if you have one spell to focus on building MP.
Having 8 evasion and 10 Magic Block makes every fight a breeze.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I never played the NES version.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Probably FF13, because people can't grind and outlevel / brute force everything until the end. And even then you can still lose (lol Orphan).
You can't even beat FF13-2 because the dev fanfic can never lose in a canon fight.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Whenever I'm losing a battle in FF12 and I have to run away, I then have to run around in circles as my MP slowly builds up and the characters cast cure on each other. I must be doing something wrong because the game can't actually expect you to do that. Someone wouldn't possibly have thought that was a good idea. Would they?
It is almost as if you are playing a roguelike.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It's not the real FFIX experience unless you unsuccessfully steal from Hill Gigas for an hour before quitting out of frustration.
This, but for half the boss battles. If I could, I would buff steal's success rate.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
"As some may recall, the story of Final Fantasy XIII was spread out across three separate, complete games. What this means is that each Final Fantasy VII Remake “episode” will be on par with a Final Fantasy XIII game in terms of content."

Full of confidence in this one.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 6, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Pretty much.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Jenova infected animals are all over the place in the deep north, far as we know. Didn't matter what happened to Jenova in the crater.

Tempo 119 posted:

Surprise twist at the end of episode 1, Aerith is saved by the goddess Etro
It would be those people from that cell phone game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
fal'Cis

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It's me, Chara.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ApplesandOranges posted:

I imagine it's a little doable in IX, but you'd need to either give yourself an out for certain parts or bring lots of Potions otherwise; for example in the second Plant Cage fight, neither Zidane or Steiner have offensive commands, so you'd have to wait for Zidane to go into Trance while chucking lots of Potions at the team and Garnet. Most other fights can be dealt with using Trance or just having characters like Vivi in the party. Also means you have to let Freya or Vivi win the Festival of the Hunt.

Zidane would be nigh-useless til Disc 3 though.
Zidane should be stealing a ton of useful poo poo.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

NikkolasKing posted:

So I'm playing FFVI and I got a couple questions related to the Job Class talk from a few pages ago.

1. So everyone has about the same basic stats? Because Locke is clearly a Thief but he's kinda like Zidane in that he hits really hard so he's more of a Thief/Warrior.
2. Is Celes a Paladin? Kind of reminds me of Cecil, to be honest.

Also, these were completely made-up and all but when we were assigning Jobs to FFXIII Characters, I didn't know Sage was a thing. Now I do, I'm pretty sure Hope is one. He really doesn't fit either Black or White Mage because he's amazing in both.
Everyone has their own variety of stats. A couple of them are obvious stinkers. The newer releases did give them flavor job classes. I think Celes was some sort of Rune Knight and the Berserker is obvious.

General Morden posted:

hey

the 9999 damage cheat makes it so stealing has a 100% chance of stealing items

hope this helps
That saves around five hours of boss bullshit.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 18, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Cocksmith posted:

you know, replaying ff9, Zidane feels a little less "dashing rogue" and a little more "sexual predator".
How was that not the first thing to come to mind?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mega64 posted:

He's overcompensating a lot because he's a stupid teenager. It doesn't forgive his lovely behavior, but at least he does mature from it later on.
He did commit genocide early in his life.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

fruitpunch posted:

Blitzball is a bad and unfun game: http://youtu.be/w0c7j46VJg8

I still keep playing it though because theres something so satisfying about it when its going your way.
The story of my experience.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Super No Vacancy posted:

blitzball was good just it gets way too easy too quick
If you don't leave the game, the other teams will never rubber band to your level.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Did he also work on Ultima in FFT?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Square could do no wrong.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Xenogears is loving awesome and the chairs narration leads to a giant robot piloting a massive robot, that fights a larger robot.

Sakurazuka posted:

And then they squandered all their money on a dumb movie and got taken over by Enix
Hard to believe SE would not have existed if TSW did any worse.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 1, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

corn in the fridge posted:

the only reason anyone ever liked xenogears ever was because it was evangelion the rpg complete with hot red head anime NAZI babe
Excuse me.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mega64 posted:

Where are the other hockey teams?
They ate them.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

bloodychill posted:

After all this hockey chat, I do hope there's a scene in ff15 where Noctis and co have to beat some dudes at bball to earn cred for some mission.
Disgaea 2 has you play a baseball game with the Prinny team. It goes to hell when you remember to pick them up and throw them at their team mates to blow them up.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
So it did.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ApplesandOranges posted:

I can't actually remember, was it ever explained why it's perpetually dark in Midgar? Even in the upper areas of the city it's universally night.
Because Shinra.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It's only cheating if you get caught.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Baal posted:

Brave Fencer Musashi has better voice acting than FFX
The first hour was amazing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Gologle posted:

By the way, about two weeks ago tidbits of gameplay from that Game Informer article I talked about before was released, so you can see for yourself what I read. The FPS looks overall smoother than Duscae, like the article said, but even in the video you can see some stuttering, in particular when he's on the boardwalk, which I called. It's unclear how much optimizing they will be able to do on the game before it comes release time, so I'm thinking FPS stuttering will remain a problem throughout the game just by virtue of how vast the scope of the game is supposed to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5njWA_O2UKI
Not like the latest consoles have the excuse of being a decade old with ancient hardware. Current consoles shouldn't have so much of an issue with 5 year old PC hardware.
I doubt a 970 will be able to get to max settings if it gets a PC release, because FF porting.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Sakurazuka posted:

lol I have like 300 games on Steam dude. So far no-one has come up with anything other than more fps and comparing things to last gen consoles.
That is like second year Steam ownership.

Can't forget the modding. Want to play a different kind of game? I doubt anyone played a Space Harrier knockoff mod on the console games, but multiple genres of games have been modded into a Space Harrier clone on the PC.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

NikkolasKing posted:

The translation is not the problem and has never been the problem. I don't speak Japanese and I never had a problem understanding the plot or appreciating teh characters. gently caress, even people who did understand Japanese thought things like Jenova was controlling Sephiroth. Then the Ultimania Omega shot that down but whatever.

I blame the years since they played it as well as misrepresentations in things like Kingdom Hearts, Advent Children and Dissidia.
What is this about Ultimania?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

bloodychill posted:

I honestly enjoy localizations where poo poo gets made up. For good games with decent stories, it can suck but if a game or anime is fluff trash with bad writing and they have the blessing of the original developer, I say go hog-wild.
Most Funimation dubs?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mega64 posted:

Except when Faris is involved.

Double spoilers. Why would you do this?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A smiley face high-fiving another offscreen.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Why do the characters have stubs for limbs?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Any mention that chibi dolls game will be ported to Steam, in that site?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Has this been posted yet? Looks like audio replacement is a thing for FF X PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-RpYn6sfk8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWY2_cDH3ms
No laugh better than a clown's.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mega64 posted:

In FF3DS you ram an airship into a boulder to blow it up and don't Game Over, and that's the game where you can Game Over in a random battle before you get to do anything.
The same airship in FF3 loving explodes and your guys are like, welp.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

The White Dragon posted:

You bought a game with SaGa, specific caps, in the title. This is like going to a gun range and knowingly sitting next to the guy with an illegally-modded fully automatic assault rifle and complaining that you keep getting tagged with hot brass
Don't diss the burp guns. They are really loving fun to use, in a private setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

NikkolasKing posted:

And so I'm wondering...is there a wrong way to play an RPG? And I don't mean something simple like taking an hour to beat the first boss, I mean playing it "sub optimally." It's one reason I really dislike action games or action RPGs like Star Ocean. You get really competitive freaks who laugh at you if you take too long or play on easy and even the games themselves can poo poo on you. They don't do that in Final Fantasies besides XIII.
There is a bird boss in Wild Arms 3 that hits your characters with an ailment that causes them to explode if they took an action. It seems you can reflect it away, completely trivializing the fight, but I always to let the affected guys blow up then revive them, so the whole party doesn't explode. It is very hard.