Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Monsters have to scale to be beefy and murder in one hit. They don't have anything else going for their lack of versatility. I think you can ride chocobos, so I have been playing the game the wrong time, many times.

I thought teleport also factors in your height and that going additional squares beyond your normal range reduces success by 10% for each. Ignore Height doesn't let you phase through objects, but jumping like an anime has so many uses. How a Lancer doesn't have innate Ignore Height is beyond me.

The next time I play, I will use the LFT mod and forever bypass random encounters and half height terrain screwing up attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Game sure was balanced.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Oh god I remember that 12 Monk random battle on the hill. I had my C team out. Was a battle of attrition. Almost got them but they kept on reviving each other and got me in the end.

Chocobo one isn't as bad. But those red chocobos spamming meteor were right bastards.

Those battles were really rare though. Only ever ran into the monks once. I remember one random battle I had to rescue some random knight from a couple dragons. When the battle was over I got to recruit him too. That was pretty cool.
I only got the dragon war one and thought the ones on my side were the enemy. Just restarted when I realized it. I only ever heard about the special encounters.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

General Morden posted:

is there a specific party set-up that is best versus ozma or can i just run whoever i want
I use whoever and abuse that ATB hold trick, because Ozma is a goddamn cheater. Use abilities and attacks with long animations to make full use of regen.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Attitude Indicator posted:

is that just the stream or the game chugging at 2:34?
In order to make the gameplay cinematic, they kept it at a constant 24fps.

Didn't they have a similar boss fight in FFXIII-2? That also chugged.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

The GIG posted:

I'd say build a wall but the judge just put up a "No Walls" law so everyone who owns a fence is now in jail.
*holds up protest sign* You can't build homes with bridges, you need walls.

Not the actual building of homes into a bridge. Bridges as walls and floors.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

voltcatfish posted:

could somebody inform me of what world of final fantasy is
Talking dolls of characters from previous games.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Terper posted:

Active Time Reports
That doesn't match the acronym.
Active Time Breports

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Hit every enemy in the dick. Every. Single. One.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Activate Wait Mode while deciding how best to avoid crashing your car like a moron, and still crash.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Renoistic posted:

I watched for a few seconds but didn't want to spoil more. Looked really good though and I hope the game runs in an acceptable fashion.
The introduction of Chadarnook looked promising or it might be mirror teleports.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Gologle posted:

I really want a Dragon Ball Z Final Fantrasy game now. It MUST, I MEAN IT MUST have time traveling, it has to have aliens, and it has to have at least one bad guy who turns good after his secret origins are revealed. Robots and magic is optional, but appreciated.
I think Xenoverse is closest to that.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

The White Dragon posted:

See this would work if Seifer was ever around for more than five minutes, but he wasn't, Squall never regards him positively, and the game never portrays them like this; just as "rear end in a top hat" and "player character." The interpersonal writing is so shoddy that the past tense scene doesn't make sense even in the context of Squall losing one of his best friends, because as far as the player has been informed by the game itself, Seifer is more of a bully than a rival or even a friend.
Seifer is only acting that way because all his friends lost the exact same memory as children and Seifer is forever pissed off about it. He never questions them about it or half the plot falls apart. Always angry at everyone and no one knows why. He probably relishes in being the rear end in a top hat, since it is those people he deals with.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Hamsterlady posted:

At the start of the fight with Galbadia Garden I told the students what to do with the hotdogs and then ended my speech.
Was it putting meat in them?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Dragon Quest Heroes is also not on sale, SE just hates sales.
I am surprised their store is still at full price. What are they waiting for?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Hamsterlady posted:

My favorite part of FF8 was killing Ultima Weapon in a single turn and then getting two game overs to the final boss because she blew away the magic I had junctioned to my HP and then did a full party attack that did more than my new max HP value.
Mine was having encounters every step in the Deep Sea lab because the glowing mechanic was glitched.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Barudak posted:

Did you have Zell in your party? Because Zell causes that for never explained or noted reasons.
Of course. Why he is such a wild card for several things in this game, I'll never know.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Harrow posted:

I actually really liked Chrono Cross but, at the same time, I don't think Chrono Trigger needed a sequel at all. And god drat is it beautiful for a PS1 game.

Perhaps my favorite part of Chrono Cross is how the world map makes absolutely no sense given what we see in Chrono Trigger and somehow Porre becomes a country with an army and everything and it's great. (Also I choose to assume that the ending of Chrono Cross undoes the killing-off of Crono, Marle, and Lucca because it's all fucky anyway. :shrug:)
The world map is just a tiny sliver of the world map of Trigger, much like how Zelda 1 is something of a 8X8 square section in the Zelda 2 map. I think Lucca did manage to get in the time machine and end up in Lahan, hence why you see Lynx staring out the window of the burning orphanage, being useless. He was lazy as gently caress.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
never mind.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 14, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Harrow posted:

I figured it was more that ambient magic faded. People could still do it, but it became less and less prevalent. For example, the lack of airships and teleport crystals in FFT and the subtler, darker magic in Vagrant Story (with the Dark being the ultimate sealed-away power). If I'm not mistaken, there's also no reference to Mist in either Tactics or Vagrant Story. It faded, but never really completely went away.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Vagrant Story's Dark is related to the Espers/Lucavi. After all, the Rood Inverse/Blood-Sin appears when you summon an Esper in FFXII.
It is almost like FFT was a self-contained story.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Fister Roboto posted:

They should have just had one character for each element color. That gives you Serge, Kid, Leena, Glenn, Guile, and uhhhhhhhh Norris? Yellows are all forgettable garbage.
ZOAH WILL REMEMBER THIS.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

This is just a bit offtopic at this point but I find it fascinating how as a kid we had Captain Planet yelling at us to save the world and global warming was just something that everyone accepted as true and even our videogames had really heavy-handed plots about saving the planet, enough to justify you joining a terrorist organization

Like imagine in the FF7 reboot how they're gonna justify blowing up power plants and killing civilians to save the environment, in a world where Europe sees terrorist attacks pretty much monthly at this point.
Going through the episodes of Captain Planet, it is amazing how hosed up the show can get when it goes through so much effort to say a message. There might be some talk about the idealized global warming scenario where cities are actually sinking and Captain Planet saves the day, only for it to be the work of a super villain. I did like the zombie drug and population cleansing episodes that are something that Hollywood Liberals would enjoy happen.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 17, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Wrex...
Shepard...

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I was a Monk with Speed Save and kept using Accumulate between healing. I kept using Hundred Crack Fist on everyone.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Sounds like a fun game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Gologle posted:

My favorite part of the Final Fantasy series is when a Chocobo articulates in its own way that it loves its partner and owner.
I want to ride that Chocobo.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It would have taken less effort to list what your character has, but I probably wouldn't understand half the name changes.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Oxxidation posted:

Most turn-based super bosses on the level of Penance or the SMT series seem to boil down to using a punishingly specific strategy after an eon of grinding and it's like, snooooore

Though I remember back when I was in grade school and beat Culex in SMRPG, I felt like a tiny golden god.
I fought Culex right after going through Jinx three times and figured I needed the armor from cloudtown and Rock Candy. I can't believe I had trouble with these guys as a kid with the guide. Recommended levels my rear end.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

General Morden posted:

optional endgame is never worth it in any final fantasy game (except ff xiv ofc)
Cheesing the ones in FFVII never gets old.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
All the mainline FF except FFXIII have good tracks to listen to. All of FFXIII either has terrible or a better remix in the sequels.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mega64 posted:

You could probably waste an entire day asking questions about Marteria's design. Like, why is she wielding a staff when she has six swords on her back? Wouldn't using gears for heels be extremely dangerous? How the hell do the dress and crown stay up?

Still not as many "WTF" design choices as Luso though.
I see her crown as a literal can of worms in a still image.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Tae posted:

Big games were dirt cheap to make compared to today
Big games costed more to buy compared to today. The console fees and deluxe packaging try to make up for it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Any time you talk to someone, a Flanitor rushes to you with its siren blaring.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
He better find some Clear Eye when he grows up.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Oxxidation posted:

Breath of Fire 3 was one of the worst JRPG's I ever played and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Just an endless loving purgatory of busywork.

That boat alone was insanity.
Counting is hard.

I really need to get back to that game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
BoF3. Faerie Village.

The series has been getting better as sequels go. BoF3 is the first good game I can come back to, but they all have terrible minigames. But hey, if you enjoy chasing chickens in BoF4 instead of killing them in BoF3, go ahead.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The encounter rate drops a lot if you set the run toggle to walking, which is dumb.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Seifer will remember this.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

zedprime posted:

Space Pope is FF13, Laguna is the deadbeat dad who left to buy smokes one day and accidentally overthrew shemale Hitler and became the dadliest president to make up for abandoning his son.
Hard to be a dad when you abandon your son. That is an insult to Nier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Bartz is #3, all is right in the world.
A world where suplexing a train (or yourself) doesn't place you on the list.