Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Will Crisis Core ever get ported to Steam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Type-0 got the full remaster treatment to console and Steam.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Just censor Genesis with a black bar and bleep his name. It wouldn't hurt the story much.
Place a dumbapple over his face.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Just play the good starters and then work on the others, except 11 and 14.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Don't you need friends to play FFXIV? If you have your own credit card, then well...

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Cleretic posted:

Actually, let's try this real quick, what part is the batshit crazy part in every plot...

Time loop
Emperor conquers both heaven and hell (offer only valid in GBA version and after)
...? Everything in 3 makes sense really.
Suddenly we're going to the moon
Evil tree warlock
The War of the Magi, I guess?
Everything about Sephiroth
Time bullshit again
Haven't played IX
All this everyone's saying
Haven't played XI
Maybe nethicite, XII is pretty easy to grasp
Any time XIII uses a noun with an apostrophe in it
A to the L to the E X Ander (also a bunch of other poo poo)
And... I dunno, Kingsglaive I guess I don't care about XV
Sephiroth was Jenova the whole time.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

While I agree this is a better plot and woul prefer it to be true, I'm pretty sure Nomura is on the record stating that Jenova is being manipulated by Sephiroth into taking his form and obeying his will.
Jenova cells were inside him when he was born and when he learned about the Jenova project, he had an urge to meet with Jenova. A sort of reunion, if you will. The plot hole with Sephiroth in control, is that he has no reason to specifically kill Aeris when he is quite capable of phasing through objects and simply stabbing everyone. He destroyed Nibelheim when he got unhinged, so why is he acting so methodical after being in destroy all humans mode?
Translation issues aside, the bits of dialog said that Jenova cells are in all the monsters on the northern continent since it crashed and probably where Jenova made appearances during the game. Jenova is pretty much part of the world's ecosystem and never completely destroyed because of that.
Jenova would know about Aeris, her being an Ancient, and what she is capable of. Sephiroth would have no reason to kill her and Jenova is always on the move, like an infestation.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Attitude Indicator posted:

I thought it was Spirits Within that rolled through SE like a katamary, sucking up all the money from those games.
It almost deep-sixed the sale of the company that was ongoing. There was no money taken from the games related to that.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 22, 2019

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

TheHoosier posted:

When I'm done with 9 ill be heading to another FF I've never played, which are:

IV, X-2, XII, XIII (Trilogy), XV

Is XIII really that much of a dumpster fire that I should read a plot synopsis and move on to XIII-2 if it were to get chosen?
You would be reading about the plot anyway since the game doesn't tell you much about it through cutscenes. :cheeky:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

lobster22221 posted:

Its still a great game, but it really is a flaw. The speed up is a great bandaid for the issue though.
The worst thing was the bosses not letting you steal their rare items without 10 mins of stealing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

The White Dragon posted:

furthermore ff3 has weapon proficiency exp that determines both damage and number of hits, so if you ever switch weapon types on a character, they'll be completely crippled

knightswords are separate from swords and darkswords, naturally
That was the second game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

The White Dragon posted:

it's called Melee Proficiency

That makes more sense.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
O G t r a n s l a t i o n i s f i n e , g o o n s .

Rirse posted:

Having played a few hours of Final Fantasy III on Steam with the menu mod with feature to reduced required XP for levels up in half (which for some reason the current version is broke so you need the files for that from a old one)...and it feels a lot better now. The game still feels clunky for bad design decisions, and I still wish they would gave save points in dungeons.

That said, I did grab cheat engine for the fast forward (only works in dungeons not in battle), which also seems to lower the encounter rate when doing that...to a almost bearable rate. Man this remake would been so much better if they did a few things differently. But it does feel actually fun now since I am not grinding as much.

Cheat engine also has a handy raise job level feature, which at least gets a new job to a actually usable state. Seriously why do I need to cheat to fix this.
It sounds like a lot of effort to improve a bad port when the NES version doesn't have the nonsense changes, can run at super speed, and allows saving in dungeons in an emulator.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 3, 2019

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I would have been depressed if Terra died with all the Espers at the ending. That was before I really appreciated playing as her.
I couldn't care about Shadow.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Mar 4, 2019

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

AweStriker posted:

I might need to just do it over anyway. I don't think I have the wiggle room to do random battles yet since I'm only two battles into the game and Ramza is kind of required to be good.
Just have someone go crystal and learn something.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Help Im Alive posted:

Do people ever use the XII espers? I summoned Exodus a couple times and they seem OK in this version
They buffed Espers? What did they do to make them not suck? I always wanted to use them in the old version, but they were baaaaad.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Blitz, Tools, Throw, and Rage do make combat rather easy.

Not sure if they fixed it, but having too much magic could cause the numbers to roll over for strong spells.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Elephant Ambush posted:

LOL this game seems poorly designed!
The hardest parts of the game for me were always the Red Dragon and Flying SeeD guy button mash. Both of which you can lose as much as you want.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Sakurazuka posted:

Isn't that Type-0?
Crisis Core

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

A Sometimes Food posted:

Random question, what would you do for FF16?
Wild Arms gameplay

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Relin posted:

i think my fave thing about ff12 is how quickenings do less damage per second than just auto attacking. i tried on several high hp foes

what the gently caress square

EDIT: nevermind i didnt take into account fastforward lol
I only used it for THE WALL since it kept killing me.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mega64 posted:

FF2 does have a weird appeal to it once you understand the nuances of its mechanics. Beating yourself up for HP is actually a trap, Agility and Evasion are god stats, and you want to have one frontliner and two pure mages starting mid-game. Never wear heavy armor unless your evasion can take the penalty hit. Toad and Osmose are god-tier spells.

Just all that will let you cheese the vast majority of encounters. If the game's pacing and the dungeon design weren't utter garbage it'd actually be close to a good game!
They changed how heavy equipment worked on the PSP?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Gologle posted:

Was FF6 the first and only FF so far to have an actual lightsaber as a weapon?
With all the remakes of every game, I highly doubt it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

lobster22221 posted:

I'm sorry, is that a skirt with a second skirt underneath? WAT
You should look up a clear image of the character.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Pureauthor posted:

His name is Nero the Sable.

Like his compatriots Red the Red (Russo the Crimson) Blue the Blue (Something the Azure) and White the Clean. (Weiss the Immaculate)
Azul the Cerulean.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Barudak posted:

Unless its FFX where I dont think the party kills a single living thing.
If you are given an item that kills undead and it doesn't work on undead, then were they undead in the first place?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I guess I’ll always be an apologist, since I have FFVI on my phone. In my pocket. Whenever I want.

And those graphics are just fine you goddamn spergs. I mean, they were wonderful on my SNES too, but it’s in a box in my basement and I’m not dusting that poo poo off.
SE said that is what they would look like at twice the size. An intentionally blurry and busty Locke. Sure.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

S.J. posted:

I've never played 4 or 5. Be honest with me, here, how good are they?
The first three games allow you to assign classes for your characters, while 4 makes them static, forcing each game to play out the same every time. The grind is also strong. Then you have 5 allowing you to pick classes for your characters and keeping each game fresh. 4 really feels like a one time play before you get bored, as there are better gameplay in other games.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Nibble posted:

I had a lot of fun with FF Legend 2 as a kid, and it made a lot of sense when I later played SaGa Frontier and learned they came from the same roots. I've never tried FF2 though, I take it it's probably too unpolished by today's standards to really be enjoyable?
FF2 is still great. You can make characters with so much evasion and magic resistance, that end game enemies do a few hundred damage. A game where you can stomp everything in your way in a Star Wars setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

BrightWing posted:

His empire destroys the MCs home town so they join the resistance and eventually kill him but the Emperor is such a Bad Dude he procedes to become the Emperor of Hell so the party has to kill him again.
Another remake has him taking over Heaven as well because he got bored or something, where you meet your dead friends.