Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

TurnipFritter posted:

Bravely Default doesn't even have a Japanese release date yet, so I wouldn't worry too much about it not being announced for overseas. It does look absolutely wonderful though. Kind of like 4HoL, except with an actual budget:

I'm gonna be pretty disappointed when this doesn't have the AP system, but still look at those designs :allears:

That has to be the most scantily dressed white mage ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

NikkolasKing posted:

For you Joey, my quick recommended Black Mages metal covers:
J-E-N-O-V-A
Since you like FFVII.

But their best tracks IMO are:
Clash on the Big Bridge
Battle with the Four Fiends

Also this is definitely a your mileage may vary thing but I really like The Skies Above. It is cheesy but I un-ironically love it.

I love their cover of Maybe I'm a Lion.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
As much as I hate to derail FFVChat, they've announced a new expansion to FFXI. Seekers of Adoulin. Comes with two new jobs, one yet to be announced. Geomancer and what appears to be Mystic Knight.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Winks posted:

Tanaka leaves Square-Enix. The final fantasy MMO players are probably happy about that.

Yes. This is the best news for the new expansion.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Gammatron 64 posted:

Hey Spaz, what server did you play on, Quertz? I might transfer to the goon server if I resub to the game when the new expansion comes out.

Carbuncle, but I don't really play anymore. I'll probably start again shortly before the expansion comes out.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Miracon posted:

How much would it cost to get all of the FFXI expansions up to date, and when is the new one coming out? I could get the PS2 version if it didn't too much, hmm.

PC version is much, much better than PS2 if you can manage it. 360 in a pinch. The graphical level on the PC and 360 are about the same (I think the PC can run at much higher resolutions). But the PC version has Windower and all its awesome plugins.

Also, you can get the Ultimate Abyssea Collection off Steam for $20. That's all the expansions, all 6 add-ons, and a bonus in-game hat to make your beginning levels much easier.

Only thing that sucks now is the stupid way you have to pay for your account. I suggest just buying Crysta instead of even attempting to get the automatic monthly method to work.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
I should probably note that they aren't making a PS2 version of the new expansion, so you'll be missing out on that too.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Barudak posted:

That said the reason RDM was so highly prized was refresh which makes you regen MP and in any PVP scenario stun/quick cast. You see, quick cast let you cast anything as though it had no refresh time. Stun let you stun someone. Combine the two and you lock a person in place and kill them while they can do absolutely nothing to stop you.

So quick everyone is to forget that RDM is the best debuffer in the game. A good RDM with Slow II, Paralyze II, and some other choice debuffs may be the difference between victory and a total wipe.

EDIT: And are you talking about Fast Cast or Chainspell? Because Fast Cast just shortened cast times, and Chainspell is a 2hr ability that only lasts about a minute if I recall correctly.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Yep, so RDM was great for any linkshell that didn't melee zerg everything in seconds....

Oh, wait.

Oh sure, if you're gonna take an hour to zombie slog your way through something than who needs anything but a pointy stick?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Zombie slog? That's when you want RDMs, they make life easier for everyone. I'm talking about 15 second to minute-long battles where you throw DRKs and SAMs at it til it dies.

I wonder if we're talking about the same type of mobs, because I'm talking about the real top tier endgame poo poo that will ruin your day if you look at it wrong. Not the endgame stuff from a couple years back that any half-assed group can take down easily these days.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

DapperDuck posted:

Note, that no where in this post did I mention anything about Red Mages meleeing, because that has always been, and always will be, a utter joke. :v:

Everyone always thought it was hilarious when I bust out a sword and shield and 'melee gear' in situations where I was on RDM, but we were doing well enough that I might as well poke the thing a little while tossing the occasional spell.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Reiterpallasch posted:

Speaking of The Last Remnant I ran through the first couple story missions of the game doing all the fights because I heard that gaining XP was no longer a Bad Idea in the PC port. Then somebody else told me I was wrong, and probably boned. I just got to Elysion and I think I'm BR 8? Is that way too high?

I've been playing it since I scored a super cheap copy last week and I'm on what was Disc 2 and the Koenigsdorf base fights. It seems to me that basically you should only ever fight enemies that come after you (i.e. 'stronger' enemies). You get more stat gains per fight when you're fighting an enemy that's rated higher than your current BR. Also, link together enemies as much as you can handle. You'll get bigger rewards, but your BR only goes up as much as if you fought them individually, unlike the 360 version. Also, having no leader limit means your unions on the whole will be much stronger than your Xbox unions ever could be. And they removed the BR requirements on character's weapon upgrades, so they can get stronger gear than their Xbox versions at the same BR as long as you can get the required items. If you ever hit a difficult boss or area, go find some sidequests. The gains from the enemies in the process has always been more than enough for me to get past any wall (Looking at you Base 3 you motherfucker) Also, turn on turbo mode and set the critical chances to automatic. The AI hits the chances a more than fair amount.

PS: Make sure you get the quests that become unavailable after the aqueducts done in time. I did not. :argh:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Azure_Horizon posted:

Just wanted to remind everyone that they said Lightning will have multiple costumes, akin to different "classes." We'll see if she gets better ones.

Sort of like a dressphere spin on the Paradigm Shift. I could be down with that.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I kind of want to try Parasite Eve a bit less after that.

There's nothing wrong with the first two. Have fun. Especially with the first one because it's super breakable.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Can I ask about them what is special exactly? I mean, I played the first one as a kid but never got past the rats at the beginning, so I didn't get to experience much of Parasite Eve.

I like the first one because of the battle system and the fact that I can make a pistol that fires acid buckshot a dozen times and gives me three turns. I never played the second one, but I read the LP for it. It's less RPG and more Action/Survival Horror.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Momomo posted:

Yeah, I don't know either. He must be Jesus in Crisis Core or something, because there's nothing at all that makes me think he'd be #1 otherwise.

He's a pretty cool dude and not at all mopey like Post-FF7 Cloud. Also he can kill anything in one punch.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Ha! Her outfit does change when she paradigm shifts! It's obscured, but you can kinda see it happen at the :59-1:00 mark.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
FF8 should be the most popular with everyone. :colbert:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

ImpAtom posted:

Man, I made it ten seconds into that video. What the gently caress.

:nyoron: You just don't understand.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

W.T. Fits posted:

Seriously, gently caress Citan. Dude was the biggest monster in the entire game.

Which is why he was such an interesting character, general kickassery notwithstanding.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
I was way more entertained with Asura's Wrath than I ever was with Xenosaga.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Your Gay Uncle posted:

So I'm about to play FF8 again since it first came out, and was wondering if there was a comprehensive guide on the best way to break the batte/experience system. I remember hearing things like if you keep Squall dead your party will level up but the monsters wont, and something about abusing the GF summons.

Get Card-RF from Shiva before going to Ifrit's Cave, kill fish on the beach, refine Fish Fins into 100 Water, junction to Squall's STR, never worry about levels, win game.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

sector_corrector posted:

I've gotten the urge to play through FF6 again, but to use the most overpowered team possible. Is there a guide somewhere to breaking the game with optimal stat progression?

I've really only played the SNES version, but I like to use Locke, Celes, Sabin, and Gogo/Mog. Locke uses Genji Glove/Offering to do tons of damage with Atma Weapon/Illumina. Give Celes all the magic + the Paladin Shield + as much magic evasion as possible so she's basically untouchable. Sabin gets time with Espers that boost magic power so Bum Rush does tons of damage + another Genji Glove for kicks. Gogo mimics Sabin's blitzes and Celes's magic or Mog just gets big stats and good gear for when he's not Dancing.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

ImpAtom posted:

Cyan's problem isn't just his swordtech. His equipment is also pretty medicore, his basic stats are pretty eh, and he's in general just not very good. His Swordtech really just needs a different basic mechanic. There are a lot of ways they could handle it which are more engaging and less... uh, crap.

Sabin isn't *fantastic* but he's a well Cyan as long as you build him properly. He's got access to some nice abilities even if he isn't going to be absolutely top tier. He's got a good place in 3-team areas compared to Cyan who you're better off leaving at home for basically anyone else.

Yeah, I would always use Cyan in Mog's party so I could just avoid battles entirely.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Azure_Horizon posted:

Skip 8. It's a practice in insulting you for playing it.

This man is a liar.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

ImpAtom posted:

One of the 'selling points' of FF8 is that you can break the game incredibly hard so you never need to fight battles and can unlock the ability to never fight enemies aside from bosses very early on, thus rendering the game nothing but trivial boss battles, card games, and story. If that is appealing to you then hey, there you go. I can't imagine why you'd play FF8 just for the story but people do it.

No one in their right mind would throw on Enc-None at the earliest possible moment unless they're doing some sort of gimmick run.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

ImpAtom posted:

Really? I hear it recommended all the time. There's no reason to fight regular enemies at all in the game and gaining levels is actually detrimental in some cases.

If you're a gibbering moron that can't figure out the simplest aspect of the junction system, sure. Even half-assed junctions work fine for the entire game. The "scaled leveling" in the game is nothing but a few milestones that make enemies marginally stronger (access to higher tier spells, slightly better stats, better or rarer drops).

The only time to use Enc-None is during timed segments, especially the Odin sidequest, or if you're doing a lot of running on the world map for some reason.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Oh boy an unnecessary limit always spices up the gameplay. That's why everyone fondly remembers Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, a world renowned title that definitely didn't kill the franchise.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Krad posted:

It's funny how, 25 years later, people still complain about CC killing off like half of CT's cast when in reality the only real casualty was Lucca.

I have fond memories of playing Chrono Cross on my NES.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

TurnipFritter posted:

New Final Fantasy-related mystery site. It's probably that "All The Bravest" thing we saw trademarked a while back.

Those look like two thieves and two warriors from FF1's GBA version designs. Those are definitely behemoths from FF6 though.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Momomo posted:

Is there really anything complicated about Drawing and Junctioning? Sure, if you feel like it, you can make the game even more trivial with card game nonsense, but doing the bare minimum of drawing magic and refining things still makes you really overpowered.

No, it's just the excuse everyone uses to claim it's not the best FF ever.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Evil Fluffy posted:

Flaming (train) Suplex? :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgHlXY4rPDU&t=52s

?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

CottonWolf posted:

I can understand that response to XIII-3, but I'm actually relatively hopeful it might be good. They're going full Majora's Mask with it, right down to the bizarro world/apocalypse countdown mechanic. If they can channel the tone of MM properly, it could easily be the best of the XIII series (at least that came to the West, I've heard pretty good things about Type-0). I'm slightly biased though, Majora's Mask is in my top 3 favourite games ever.

You could rewind time back to the start in MM. My understanding is this is a solid time limit you can only extend.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Krad posted:

If only Sephy hadn't been playing with super glue a few hours ago in the mansion, he could've let go of the sword without any problems.

His anime pride wouldn't allow him to release his sword and concede defeat to some lowly grunt.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Nickname Pending posted:

The card game was actually quite fun; though tedious when actually using it to get items and what not. It is pretty funny when you can get Squall's ultimate weapon (and ultimate limit break) barely 1/4 of the way through the game. Keep Squall at low health and Lionheart your way through every boss battle.

In fairness though, you need to do a ton of tedious work to get Lionheart in Disc 1. I prefer to do it right at the start of Disc 2 once you have full control of the Garden and can go get Tonberry.

Fake Edit: As I was typing this, I went to fact-check myself and found out there's an even easier way to do it on disc 1 than I thought and it really only requires a level 30+ Squall Selphie and Quistis.

quote:

Squall Selphie Quistis ALL level 30+ so when you trigger the first Lunatic Pandora scenario via the forest south of Galbadia Garden simply Mug 3x Laser Cannons off of level 30+ Elastiods (4 cannons) if you want Quistis to learn a limit break that I never used.

If you already have Dragon Fangs and I got mine via the same 3 PC's at level 30 off of T rexes if you don't have any just take the level 10 Irvine and Rinoa and fight Grendels via the same Forest as above but the Laser Cannon are stolen first.

All that's left are Adamantines and level 30+ Adamantioses will give those out but since physical hits barely deal any damage to them just abuse the crap out of Degenerator.

So I'll definitely be trying that one out next time I play through.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Overbite posted:

The best battle music is obviously

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnnnPntUAeM

I know it's not Final Fantasy. It's Phinal Phantasy.

Oh well if we're gonna play that game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19swM5L7_UQ

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Serious post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sag9hIVICM

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Not to say it's bad or anything, but I hate the paradigm system. I don't like being locked out of abilities I may need just because I didn't set a paradigm that has the exact combination I needed at that moment. It's needlessly restraining for a series that had tons of freedom up until that point.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, it's not as if Final Fantasy as a series has trained people out of using status effects - especially things like Poison - on bosses or anything.

Usually something silly like poison would be doing negligible amounts of damage to a final boss, if it's not immune anyways. Things like Slow, Blind, and Silence are always better shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Dragonatrix posted:

That's incredibly weird, because Sight wasn't in 7 or 10. There's no reason for it to be in anything after 4, because all it does/did is open the world map.

He might be thinking of Scan.