Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

With Eggplant Wizard's blessing, I present to you a thread in which you will explain (and probably argue at great length about) what the gently caress these things mean.

Some of them I can understand just fine: :aaa: Amazement. Pretty simple. There's other stuff like :eng101: that I gather has some kind of backstory with it but I get the general idea: academic smartness and poo poo. I love its variants too, like :pseudo: and :dawkins101:.

Then there's some stuff that I completely don't understand. Take this guy for example: :spergin: he seems like a pretty nice guy, right? What's he ever done to you to make you want to use him as the poster-child of asperger's? And what the gently caress is :itjb:?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Can someone explain :psyduck:? Not because I don't know what it is, but because I want to see someone explain it and struggle not to look stupid.

:itjb: is the Juggernaut, as per this scene from X-Men.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I haven't been here nearly long enough to explain them all, but the backstory behind :smith: can be seen here.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1548543

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

:spergin: is from a thread in GBS, some guy found a pamphlet about autism. Hopefully someone will have a link.

:itjb: is the Juggernaut, bitch.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

If I'm not mistaken :spergin: was taken from a pamphlet in UK which featured a cartoon on how people with Aspergers think and act.

Does anyone have the original entry of :gooncamp:?

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Penguingo posted:

Can someone explain :psyduck:? Not because I don't know what it is, but because I want to see someone explain it and struggle not to look stupid.

"What I am seeing is so dumb or nonsensical that it hurts my brain"

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Buzkashi posted:

I love all the variants of :psyduck:

These are my favorite
:psyboom: :psypop:

Your brain is beyond hurting.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

If I'm not mistaken :spergin: was taken from a pamphlet in UK which featured a cartoon on how people with Aspergers think and act.

Does anyone have the original entry of :gooncamp:?

From what I know a group of goons went camping, two of them hosed and the rest did notice.
I think pictures were taken?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Why are there berries in :biotruths: or is that something else?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
:backtowork: is Responsibility Scallop, from an "MSPaint captcha phrases" thread. He's there to gently remind you that there are better uses of your time than posting mushmouth drivel on an internet place. Things like earning money, or bettering yourself to provide for your family.

He's a bit of a nag to be honest.

Buzkashi posted:

That's the emotion, but the little guy itself is Psyduck, a Pokemon with a gigantic life-long headache. Y'know just in case you didn't know.

Warheart525
Jun 22, 2008

Ab-so-lutely!

OneEightHundred posted:

This came up in...I think it was the old Internet Trainwrecks thread. Apparently some Reddit MRA was talking about how all girls like pink, red, and purple because those are the colors of edible berries, and women are naturally suited to gathering rather than hunting. Of course this is not true at all, because most red berries in the wild are poisonous, but don't let that get in the way of your psuedo-scientific sexism.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

OneEightHundred posted:

A common biotruther argument is that women like pink and other "girly" colors because they were responsible for foraging and gravitated towards brightly-colored berries.

Please ignore that not all women like those colors and that most berries are dark-colored.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

1stGear posted:

Please ignore that not all women like those colors and that most berries are dark-colored.
You should also ignore that pink, as part of the red colors, was seen as a strong male color about a hundred years ago. There's simply no part of the argument that holds up.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Does somebody want to explain the relation between :colbert: and :crossarms:? I've heard an explanation, but it seems like that should be explained somewhere in this thread.

No-Jokes Feynman
Sep 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The biotruths derail is my least favorite recurring derail I ever heard of. Just because one example is wrong doesn't mean the genders are genetically identical or that evolution has no effect on behavior :v:

I can't quite figure out this emote means by context but I see it all the time--> :v:

Also how do you sometimes see emotes growing larger? Is that a mod superpower because: :can:

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

No-Jokes Feynman posted:

The biotruths derail is my least favorite recurring derail I ever heard of. Just because one example is wrong doesn't mean the genders are genetically identical or that evolution has no effect on behavior :v:

I can't quite figure out this emote means by context but I see it all the time--> :v:

Also how do you sometimes see emotes growing larger? Is that a mod superpower because: :can:

:v: is basically saying something retarded.

:v: : Hey guys I'm selling knives for cutco!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Xenoveritas posted:

Does somebody want to explain the relation between :colbert: and :crossarms:? I've heard an explanation, but it seems like that should be explained somewhere in this thread.

From what I remember, the same guy bought them at the same time and mixed up the names during purchase. Colbert should be crossarms and crossarms should be Colbert.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

No-Jokes Feynman posted:

I like to think of :v: as :haw: from the side, but where :haw: can come across as sarcastic, :v: is just happy and having a good time.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
:negative: is Negative Man from the game Mother 3. He's basically a joke boss; he never attacks your group and says depressing things like "Life is but a moment, a meaningless grain of sand."

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Friar Zucchini posted:

There's other stuff like :eng101: that I gather has some kind of backstory with it but I get the general idea: academic smartness and poo poo.

Backstory here. Tragically the rehosted pictures are also gone.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Desperado Bones posted:

I love all the variants of :psyduck:

These are my favorite
:psyboom: :psypop:

Your brain is beyond hurting.

From what I know a group of goons went camping, two of them hosed and the rest did notice.
I think pictures were taken?

Naturally :psylon: is a BSG-specific variant of this emoticon. I imagine it was used in spades after the finale.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Wait, about :spergin: ...

really? I was convinced it was the face of some SA forums user who happened to be a superb programmer... the guy who wrote a worm that changed something in FB, something like shitbook instead of FB or something? And then he got hired by FB?

I am sure the same emoticon appears in FB, but you have to know the code and I have forgotten.

Anyho, I was sure it was the same face.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I remain utterly baffled by:

:engleft: Why is it a box? What does its boxness communicate?

:whoptc: What does a duck have to do with this sentiment?

:stoat: I like stoats but I don't see why we would use one?

:ironicat: I have no idea what this cat is from.

LISTEN TO KYUSS
Nov 22, 2011

Pick posted:

I remain utterly baffled by:
:ironicat: I have no idea what this cat is from.

Kat Tut from Peggle. I'll let this horribly designed Wikia page talk about it, http://peggle.wikia.com/wiki/Kat_Tut

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

:ironicat: is from Peggle. I don't know why it's ironic.

Why is someone throwing bacon at this poor girl? :fyh:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Who is the guy in the :wtc: smilie?

A Slice of Bread
Dec 20, 2007

JonBent0000 posted:

Here's why!:

TobiasRieper
Dec 21, 2007

Rise up!
Fall down!
I'd love to know the story behind :black101:

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life

JonBent0000 posted:

It's from a GBS thread about this guy dealing with a really dumb student and her horrible stories, which included that line (I believe the character in the story was a Muslim). The girl in the avatar is the student. It was a pretty funny thread but I have no idea what made someone decide it was worth spending $30 on.

On the other hand, I just noticed that the Reddit pedos thread inspired not one but two smilies, :pedophiles: and :reddit:. If there ever was a thread deserving of $60 it would be that one.

I've always wondered where :parrot: came from.

grading essays nude has a new favorite as of 20:57 on May 15, 2012

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

A Slice of Bread posted:

Here's why!:

I like to imagine you're answering the question about why bakon [sic] is being thrown at the girl. :)

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Pick posted:

:stoat: I like stoats but I don't see why we would use one?

One of the original mods of BYOB was a poster named Stoat Box. I'm assuming it has something to do with him. If memory serves, he did something and was demodded. Been so long I don't remember. My BYOB memories are better served filled with GIFs of Willow and Madmartigan.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Someone please explain :shepface: and :unsmigghh: TIA

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Away all Goats posted:

Someone please explain :shepface:

It is one of many Mass Effect related smilies.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

cletepurcel posted:

It's from some BBC (I think) nature/documentary/clip where a parrot starts shagging a guy's head. Spawned avatars as well, look at SH/SC moderator Star Wars Sex Parrot's.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

cletepurcel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xICiQ-7hMPY#t=2m03s

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

HorseRenoir posted:

Who is the guy in the :wtc: smilie?

Jonathan Frakes, of Star Trek fame.

No idea why him, though.

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick

Perestroika posted:

No idea why him, though.

Isn't it the picture of him that's stretched out and says "#1 Grandpa"?

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Dawncloack posted:

Wait, about :spergin: ...

really? I was convinced it was the face of some SA forums user who happened to be a superb programmer... the guy who wrote a worm that changed something in FB, something like shitbook instead of FB or something? And then he got hired by FB?

I am sure the same emoticon appears in FB, but you have to know the code and I have forgotten.

Anyho, I was sure it was the same face.

You are not thinking of :putnam: are you? because the face is a little different. (for those who have no idea, put :putnam: in FB chat)

IcedPee
Jan 11, 2008

Yarrrr! I be here to plunder the fun outta me workplace! Avast!

FREE DECAHEDRON!
I must admit, I've always been curious about the sonia icon.

I kinda don't want to actually use it incase it's :nws: :ohdear:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Perestroika posted:

No idea why him, though.

There was (is?) a poster called What The Christ with Riker as his avatar with #1 Grandpa as his title text. Dude's been around since forever, I strongly suspect the smilie came from him.

e: :spergin: is indeed from a bunch of comics meant to educate people about autism/aspergers. Naturally the aspergers guy is dressed all in gray and has that face.

Inexplicable Humblebrag has a new favorite as of 21:53 on May 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Unfortunately I lack platinum but I remember the original thread for :slick: in which the OP wanted to get it down to emoticon-size, but at the time it wasn't possible. This led to several edits, including Forkbanger and Evardread out-editing one another. What I want to know is who finally got the drat thing re-sized and purchased, because it didn't show up until a few years later and I rarely see it used!

Why is :tviv: spelled wrong? And why are there two of them? :asoiaf: Clearly the second is in reference to something, but I can't figure out what!

The sonia emote is related back to DPPH but I can't remember the specifics, it was before my time.