Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Hammerite posted:

I'm nearly there with my latest batch but can someone tell me what the hell :schotty: and :scott: are about?

The second one is John Scott, a hockey player who only scored a handful of goals in his NHL career. He was big though, so often his role was 'enforcer' or punchman. During his last season he got voted to be captain of one of the All-Star teams, much to the chagrin of the league office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yet another reason hockey is the only worthwhile sport

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

The second one is John Scott, a hockey player who only scored a handful of goals in his NHL career. He was big though, so often his role was 'enforcer' or punchman. During his last season he got voted to be captain of one of the All-Star teams, much to the chagrin of the league office.

I loving love this sport.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Alaois posted:

:schotty: is Brian Schottenheimer who is a bad offensive coordinator in the NFL

Specifically bad because of his obsession with running the ball in defiance of analytics.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Zesty posted:

I loving love this sport.

A couple more weeks and we'll be able to watch entire DAYS worth of hockey again. I thought about taking the 1st and 2nd off just to drink and watch all day the 1st.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yet another reason hockey is the only worthwhile sport
The NHL hate punchmen. That wasn't Scott's last year on purpose. He probably had a couple years left on strength of punchmen just being big physical presences to gum up the ice.

But the NHL hated the idea of him being a popular punchman and made a backroom deal to send him back to the minors, thinking nobody would ever want a minors player on the all star team. The fans just about rioted and rules lawyers pointed out there was no rule about it so he got to play.

Afterward the NHL changed the rule to leave out minors players, de facto saying they want to memory hole players in the future in similar ways if people dare vote for popular players in non-NHL favorite roles.

The facts still somehow end up in the middle because bare knuckle boxing and the sort of cheap hits enforcers can often do are bad for brain health. But they shipped a dude to loving Newfoundland from Arizona to try and get him out of public view so they could play their perfect boring technical 3v3 all star game without physical players. Surprising noone with a brain, 3v3 is actually horseshit on a regulation rink and Scott scored 2 goals during the tournament despite having technical skills of a semi pro weekend hockey player.

There's a Radiolab about him, it's fascinating.

E. Leaving out a jab where I think I mixed up when his kids were born during the whole debacle

zedprime has a new favorite as of 14:34 on Jul 23, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I casually enjoy watching hockey, which is more than I can say about any other sport, but mostly I just like the term "punchman", whatever it means.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's the man who punch

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:eng101: punchmans

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Actually "punchesman" is more correct

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Please, his name is Saitama

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

If you're at all curious about the John Scott thing he kind of lays out his side in this players Tribune article (it's good unlike the majority of pt articles)
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/a-guy-like-me

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

haveblue posted:

Please, his name is Saitama

Ah yes, Juan Puchmin himself.

Junius
May 14, 2006

Thank you, entertainment committee.

I was trying to remember just a few days ago what the original version of this was - I could only remember the stendec version.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mighty fine song by Warren Zevon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufEtQcisrgg&t=37s

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I had been mining answers from this thread for the tag effort but kind of forgot I could post here too. Here are ones that I still have questions about :

:dksays: animated, emoticon, trans rights are human rights, smash, hammer, mallet, v, cool (NOTE: I may be missing significance of the green hat)

:pepper: static, gray, white, cat, pet, vanity (NOTE: common pet name, there is probably a specific story here)

:pkmnwhy: animated, big hair, pokemon, reborn, raven, let’s play, lp

:treemike: animated, face, winking, stealing your girl, NOTE: needs background

:weasel: static, drunk otter face, gray, grey, animal, pet NOTE there may be a story here, word is too common

:wrongcity: animated, banner, you hosed with, boston NOTE: needs background

:chord: static, brown, pipe dog, smug, regd09, smoking NOTE: this is likely a vanity emote but the word is too common to research

:crow: static, caw, bird, red hat NOTE: this is likely a vanity emote but the word is too common to research

:mump: static, mumptruck mike, fyad NOTE: this doesn’t show up very much, google links it to FYAD almost exclusively and a couple of tweets from ten years ago

EDITvvvvvv thanks, added.

Midjack has a new favorite as of 02:08 on Jul 28, 2020

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Midjack posted:

:pkmnwhy: animated, big hair, pokemon, let’s play, lp (NOTE: needs the character name)
The name is Raven.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Midjack posted:

:crow: static, caw, bird, red hat NOTE: this is likely a vanity emote but the word is too common to research

Seems to be Jim Crow from the original Disney Dumbo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Seems to be Jim Crow from the original Disney Dumbo

Thanks for the ID, now I get to decide if I really want to propose “jim crow” as a smilie tag. :smith:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Midjack posted:

:dksays: animated, emoticon, trans rights are human rights, smash, hammer, mallet, v, cool (NOTE: I may be missing significance of the green hat)

"dksays" is a reference to Hbomberguy's stream of Donkey Kong 64 last year to raise money for Mermaids UK, a trans activism group that had come under attack from Graham Linehan and likeminded transphobes. The :v: may be Glinner himself, although I too am not sure of the significance of the green.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Midjack posted:

:pepper: static, gray, white, cat, pet, vanity (NOTE: common pet name, there is probably a specific story here)

Pepper is a popular cat in the YOSPOS cat thread

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

"dksays" is a reference to Hbomberguy's stream of Donkey Kong 64 last year to raise money for Mermaids UK, a trans activism group that had come under attack from Graham Linehan and likeminded transphobes. The :v: may be Glinner himself, although I too am not sure of the significance of the green.

Zore posted:

Pepper is a popular cat in the YOSPOS cat thread

Thanks, got em!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

You're doing the Lord's work.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Midjack posted:

:pkmnwhy: animated, big hair, pokemon, raven, let’s play, lp

I'd toss a "Reborn" in there as well, that's the fangame that was let's played.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'd toss a "Reborn" in there as well, that's the fangame that was let's played.

Sure!

Hirayuki posted:

You're doing the Lord's work.

It's several of us in this thread.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

This is surely just a retelling of info that's already in here but :justpost:

Athanatos posted:

Back in the day in GBS someone made a thread "We need a colbert emote!" and pages and pages of discussion happened. Trying to make it and decide what it would be. It went on a while.

While GBS was going back and forth, FYAD made :colbert: and uploaded it as : colbert : before GBS could finish. It was brilliant.

So the colbert thread just used : crossarms :

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Midjack posted:

:wrongcity: animated, banner, you hosed with, boston NOTE: needs background

after the Boston Marathon Bombing someone made an incredibly embarrassing pictures of the sports mascots representing the 4 teams in the boston area looking angry with the text "YOU hosed WITH THE WRONG CITY" on it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ruzihm posted:

This is surely just a retelling of info that's already in here but :justpost:

It was 8 years ago so it's okay to forget

My Lovely Horse posted:

What I remember - only vaguely, mind, but I'm sure I've read it at least two times in different threads - is that people were talking about buying one of them, and someone trolled them by buying it with the wrong name attached. Of course then they just made another one to attach to the name they were going to use and bought that.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Alaois posted:

after the Boston Marathon Bombing someone made an incredibly embarrassing pictures of the sports mascots representing the 4 teams in the boston area looking angry with the text "YOU hosed WITH THE WRONG CITY" on it

Sounds like “mascots” would be a helpful addition, given this and the previous response.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Pretty sure there also used to be :coolbuttbert: that was :colbert: but the face was a butt wearing sunglasses, and I think pooping onto the crossed arms.

edit: apparently it's called : c00lbutt :

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

:smugbert: is rather great too, although I'm not actually sure there's anything more to it than :smug: and :colbert:.

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

Midjack posted:

:weasel: static, drunk otter face, gray, grey, animal, pet NOTE there may be a story here, word is too common

is this from the photo of an otter eating a watermelon and looking disgusted by it?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I found the otter! But it just raises more questions

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 13:25 on Aug 4, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I found the otter! But it just raises more questions

There was a meme a lifetime ago a few years back of "Otters who look like Benedict Cumberbatch". A friend of mine started it. Cumberbatch is rumored to have been amused.

Megaterium
May 5, 2009

Oh no! They're biting him, and stealing his pants!

Alaois posted:

I don't know what came first but there's a sports bar in Pittsfield MA that uses the image as it's logo, I always see it on the way up to my in-laws and laugh. http://mazcotssportsbar.com/

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

How did "goon" get started, anyway?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

How did "goon" get started, anyway?

Back when SA was about making fun of other random weird websites, people would go harass the sites and at some point one guy referred to 'Something Awful and their goon squad' or something similar to that. Early 2000's era.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Captain Monkey posted:

Back when SA was about making fun of other random weird websites, people would go harass the sites and at some point one guy referred to 'Something Awful and their goon squad' or something similar to that. Early 2000's era.

Yeah it was some lady whose site was an ALOD. She sent Lowtax an angry email demanding he call off his goons.

e:

Lowtax posted:

Awful Link of the Day owner came over here back when registration was open to anybody and made a thread in GBS calling all of us goons for putting mean words in her guestbook.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I’ve always pictured us as Popeye style goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Data Graham posted:

I’ve always pictured us as Popeye style goons.

Maybe try turning on your monitor once in a while