Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

I've been keeping a list of obscure smilies for a while and while a lot have been covered here already I thought I'd throw a few out that have stumped me.

:havlat:
:gonchar:
:tastykake:

These 3 are hockey related.

Martin Havlat, Sergei Gonchar, and the tasty kake thing is for anything related to the Flyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobsterhead
Nov 1, 2010

La
La la la la
La la la la la
La la la
La la
La...

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

I've been keeping a list of obscure smilies for a while and while a lot have been covered here already I thought I'd throw a few out that have stumped me.

:russo:

Don't know the story behind it's purchase, but I do know that's Vince Russo, a hack wrestling writer. The smilie is used not infrequently in PSP to mock terrible writing.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Febreeze posted:

TFF regular here to explain the ones I know

:thurman: Is former great Bills running back Thurman Thomas, from Techmo bowl
:mcnabb: is Donovan McNabb and his award winning smile
:patssay: is for when a Patriots fan is being insufferable
:manning: is mocking Peyton Manning's "manningface", generated from a goldmined thread I was a part of: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3465398
:baby: I don't know if this started in SAS but posters use it to reference Wade Phillips, because he looks like that
:catdrugs: didn't start in TFF but is used when referencing the Wildcat formation
:psyberger: Is for when Ben Roethlisberger does something stupid (Psyduck with a steeler helmet)
:flag: Penalty flag

while I'm here, what is :holymoley: from?
You forgot about :signings: which is used almost constantly around free-agency periods and some team vastly overspends on a player.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

crazylakerfan posted:

You forgot about :signings: which is used almost constantly around free-agency periods and some team vastly overspends on a player.

That one should be called :rashardlewis:

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

:shibaz:

This is former BYOB poser shibazz and his avatar

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Since a wrestling one has been explained, I guess I'll explain another.

:camera6:

During an episode of WWE Raw back in 2003, out of nowhere during a backstage segment the TV audience heard presumably a technician say "Camera 6, you are the worst case scenario" (or something on those lines). It caused debate as to what the guy was talking about for a while. The popular theory is Camera 6 was assigned as the camera they cut to if something unfortunate or disastrous happens (like how WWE cut to crowd shots when Owen Hart fell from the rafters).

It's commonly used whenever a technical gently caress-up happens on a wrestling program by using "Camera 6" as a scapegoat.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Benne posted:

[REDACTED]

:siren: I am an idiot who is wrong, post is now corrected :siren:

:iamafag: used to be called : awesome : and I believe a mod changed that one to :awesome: in its current form because people were using it all the loving time. Then either a mod switched :iamafag: to its current name, or some other goon resurrected it.

At any rate, goons run poo poo into the ground and "that's why we can't have nice things" as the saying goes.

Nucular Carmul has a new favorite as of 23:36 on May 16, 2012

Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

:h:Knight of the
Rainbow Table.:h:

Nucular Carmul posted:

It used to be called : awesome : and I believe a mod changed that one to :awesome: in its current form because people were using it all the loving time. Then either a mod switched :neckbeard: to its current name, or some other goon resurrected it.

At any rate, goons run poo poo into the ground and "that's why we can't have nice things" as the saying goes.
Incorrect, :iamafag: was once : awesome :

:spergin:

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Ah poo poo. I knew one of smilies had been overused a lot, but I had my basic facts wrong :eng99:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Does :v: have any backstory, or is it just too ancient?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Nucular Carmul posted:

:awesome:

I'm just surprised that they have never fixed the white space in the background of this, or other smilies that have it too.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Nucular Carmul posted:

:siren: I am an idiot who is wrong, post is now corrected :siren:

:iamafag: used to be called : awesome : and I believe a mod changed that one to :awesome: in its current form because people were using it all the loving time. Then either a mod switched :iamafag: to its current name, or some other goon resurrected it.

Does the name : iamafag : for :iamafag: have to do with its popularity on 4Chan, or is it just a coincidence?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Can-O-Raid posted:

Does the name : iamafag : for :iamafag: have to do with its popularity on 4Chan, or is it just a coincidence?

It has to do with its overuse here, which may have predated its popularity on 4chan.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I remember reading the thread where this one was bought :bravo:. It's meant to be patronizing and sarcastic already, as it looks like those run-of-the-mill emoticon packages you used to see advertised everywhere.

So I didn't understand why, very soon after, this one started appearing :downsbravo:.
So now it's like a "double" burn when you use it? I don't know.

I would like to know where this one is from, because I burst out laughing the first post I saw it. :shopkeeper:

vvvvvvv - Ahahaha, awesome. I never did play that one. Thanks!

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 23:54 on May 16, 2012

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Captain Lavender posted:

I remember reading the thread where this one was bought :bravo:. It's meant to be patronizing and sarcastic already, as it looks like those run-of-the-mill emoticon packages you used to see advertised everywhere.

So I didn't understand why, very soon after, this one started appearing :downsbravo:.

I would like to know where this one is from, because I burst out laughing the first post I saw it. :shopkeeper:

That one's from The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, where it's possible to steal from a shop in the game, which will change your name to THIEF and if you ever return to the store the shopkeeper will fry you with a bolt of magic, which is what you see there.

edit: have a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V1wAGpbRAE

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Captain Lavender posted:

You know how in the English language there are several words that all mean essentially the same thing, only slightly different?

Same thing applies here. The first one would be more of a 'You did this menial task? :bravo:, rear end in a top hat!' type situation. The second one would be more of a 'Teapartiers equate Obama to Hitler? Keep it up, idiots :downsbravo:'

So yeah, basically it's sarcasm with an added ', you drooling moron' at the end there.

This was a terrible explanation, goddamn.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Dissapointed Owl posted:

You know how in the English language there are several words that all mean essentially the same thing, only slightly different?

Same thing applies here. The first one would be more of a 'You did this menial task? :bravo:, rear end in a top hat!' type situation. The second one would be more of a 'Teapartiers equate Obama to Hitler? Keep it up, idiots :downsbravo:'

So yeah, basically it's sarcasm with an added ', you drooling moron' at the end there.

This was a terrible explanation, goddamn.

No, I see it. Thanks, you're probably right.

I think in my mind, it showed up so soon after the first one, that I figured people misunderstood the first one as an actual "Good Job" smiley, and wanted a negative version.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Latter comes from a thread about making retarded versions of emoticons
Someone asked why :neckbeard: is neckbeard, and I believe there was a thread about making the perfect neckbeard emoticon and BYOB bought :neckbeard: while everyone was arguing.... yeah.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

:shobon: Where did that name come from? An anime or something?

:gonk: Also confused where this name comes from

:pcgaming: I'd like to hear the story behind this. PC vs Console debate?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

scamtank posted:

Does :v: have any backstory, or is it just too ancient?

I don't know why it was made, but afterward the guy who made snark face said it was the biggest mistake of his life.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

Explain a few:

:drat: is not Morgan Freeman or a basketball player, it's Ron "drat" Simmons, a pro-wrestler who's gimmick the last few years has been to pop up and say "drat". (it's funnier when it happens)

:notch: was bought by some dumbfuck who keeps claiming that notch, the guy who made minecraft, is a horrible racist. The dude has re-registered like 5 times to spread his message.

I never got :unsmigghh:

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!

Insertnamehere31 posted:

:gonk: Also confused where this name comes from

Gonk is an emote from Gaia Online, where it goes by the same name.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Peanut President posted:

I don't know where :smith: itself came from, but I think :unsmigghh: is simply a natural evolution of :unsmith: and :gbsmith:.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Peanut President posted:

I think it's just a smith whose jaw is falling off and the trachea is wiggling. I don't know why somebody would want that in the first place, but I've used it a couple of times.

Plump and Ready
Jan 28, 2009

ungulateman posted:

I don't know where :smith: itself came from, but I think :unsmigghh: is simply a natural evolution of :unsmith: and :gbsmith:.

I've always seen it as a sort of revealing a horrible secret to someone type thing.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Phy posted:

I think it's just a smith whose jaw is falling off and the trachea is wiggling. I don't know why somebody would want that in the first place, but I've used it a couple of times.

because it's funny

Also smith's already been explained on the first page of the thread.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
:stare: was always my favorite. It's so relate-able and can be used for so many things. It still cracks me up when I see it in the right context.

Is there any good story for it, or did it just come about naturally because it's such a common feeling?

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Blind Pineapple posted:

:stare: was always my favorite. It's so relate-able and can be used for so many things. It still cracks me up when I see it in the right context.

Is there any good story for it, or did it just come about naturally because it's such a common feeling?

Similarly, is there any special story behind :catstare: other than ":stare: could use some cat ears"?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Farbtoner posted:

Similarly, is there any special story behind :catstare: other than ":stare: could use some cat ears"?

I'm pretty sure that :catstare: came from the yospos cat thread. Cats make "airplane ears" when they're pissed/scared/aroused/being cats.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

dee eight posted:

:catstare:
I always thought this was Guile from Street Fighter :v:

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
Its the eyebrows on that fucker that always get me, there just so perfect. Any time my cat sees something its not sure of its ears go back and its eyes do that "Im not sure what the gently caress that is, but I'm sure as hell going to gently caress it up." glare

Recaffeinated
Jul 11, 2007
Fuck decaf.

MrMo posted:

I've always seen it as a sort of revealing a horrible secret to someone type thing.

I always assumed it was a Smith and Zalgo mashup, but I have no idea why that would be the case. (Aside from it being awesome.)

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?

Peanut President posted:

I vaguely remember, and might be wrong, that this one was about animation speed when making smith emotes. If you went too fast, it just looked wrong and freaky.

Nunez
Feb 21, 2011
I know :bustem: is a emoticon from TFR about a gun instructor from Magpul Dynamics, but is there an actual video of him saying "Bust 'em!" or something?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Pick posted:

:engleft: Why is it a box? What does its boxness communicate?

Speleothing posted:

:engleft: is a reference to :goleft:

I do not know much about :goleft: except that I probably refers to playing Choose Your Own Adventure games on the forums.

"Go left" became a catchphrase in Microwave's MS Paint game threads. The smiley is supposed to be reminiscent of his style.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Suitaru posted:

:spergin: is from a thread in GBS, some guy found a pamphlet about autism. Hopefully someone will have a link.

Does anybody have the link? I remember reading the thread but I can't find it any more.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

HorseRenoir posted:

Who is the guy in the :wtc: smilie?

Perestroika posted:

Jonathan Frakes, of Star Trek fame.

No idea why him, though.

I always thought that it looked like Luis Guzman for some reason.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Does anybody have the link? I remember reading the thread but I can't find it any more.

Here you go!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Nunez posted:

I know :bustem: is a emoticon from TFR about a gun instructor from Magpul Dynamics, but is there an actual video of him saying "Bust 'em!" or something?
The instructor is Chris Costa, and here's a video example of him saying that phrase (1:05 mark)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hcrhBGA4kY&t=65s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

HonorableTB posted:

What's the backstory behind :getin:? I love that.

I'm guessing it's a TRP thing, since 'get in' is a football (soccer) phrase, probably a play on the 'get out' frog.