Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

No Hephaestus posted:

On the topic at hand, :q: is one of my favorite smilies and I don't know what it's from.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

I'm pretty sure somebody found it one of those dumping ground websites for smilies. You know, back in the day when you just HAD to find an "under construction" .gif for your geocities page in order to convey the fact that you have not fully assembled a complete compendium of lyrics and .mids of Backstreet Boys songs, you could find it in some website, right next to the index of .gifs of spinning flaming skulls and upside down crucifixes.

Anyway, that smiley face was on such a website, somebody miniaturized it and noticed it looked extra sleezy, and it was added to the roll.

Is it called "q" after Qqqqqqq, or is :q just supposed to be an ASCII version of a creepy face?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

prefect posted:

Different strokes for different folks. :shrug:
Is that new? I've been waiting for something to replace v:geno:v for a while now.

vv Still awesome. It's definitely going to come in handy.

hyperhazard has a new favorite as of 21:14 on May 23, 2012

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Teen Angst posted:

Wondering if any of you more savvy goons could help me out here, what's the origin story on this guy?? -----> :)

The origin of the smiley emoticon.

(I know you're joking, but this is cool nonetheless.)

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Peanut President posted:

It's formerly from LF and now used in D&D, but I never figured out what it's supposed to be.
I thought it was the World Trade Centers: one collapsing, and one damaged but standing. So, uh, things could always be worse?

gnarlyhotep posted:

I've always interpreted it as "there's an explosion that looks big but then there's this tower that's bigger and the word PERSPECTIVE is there so it's about perspective"
Or this.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Mizufusion posted:

I think it started with HyperHazard buying the same avatar that Eggplant Wizard had, and PYF posters getting confused about it. There was some joking about giving HyperHazard a custom title to distinguish the two of them, and it just sort of snowballed from there. Not sure what anyone else did to get one, other than not really wanting one.

Close, except I didn't buy it. There was a derail in the PYF Funny Pictures thread where people were rushing to buy these avatars, and a few people accidentally ended up with the same ones. EW told people to stop complaining, and I made a joke somewhere about stealing her flashing frog. And then the whole thing snowballed.

One of the mods later owned up to it, but I don't remember who.

e: And yeah, the custom title is because people kept getting confused. All of the frog avatars have butt-themed text in commemoration of EW's brief stint as Butt Wizard.

hyperhazard has a new favorite as of 17:47 on Jul 5, 2012

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

SplitSoul posted:

I think someone started producing them, too. It's FiestaCat all over again.
Unfortunately, she quit a while ago because the demand was too high.

One of the Etsy goons might take a commission, Segmentation, but I don't know how much they'd charge. Might be a little pricey.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

I get most of them, but what's this one? Blue balls 101?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

toanoradian posted:

What's the difference between these two and :pseudo:?

I think is more "I tried science on myself and now I'm missing a limb."

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Iacen posted:

So essentially :ranccor:?

I like it. I was going to suggest :fingat: but I thought that would be too cliche.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
A new smiley came out of the Girl who thinks she's married to anime guys thread. Pretty self-explanatory.

:justpost:

It's my favorite since :shrug:.

e: Durrr grammar and link.

hyperhazard has a new favorite as of 19:32 on Sep 6, 2012

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
:smugdroid:
:yosbutt:

Well, drat.

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

I am still loving wondering what :pwm: is. Does anyone know?

I thought it was a spinosaurus, but that raises more questions than it answers.

hyperhazard has a new favorite as of 06:21 on Sep 16, 2012

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
When did :stonk: show up? I swear I haven't seen it before this week, but that could be because I'm oblivious.

I've used :stare: and :gonk: before, but this combines them into one perfect expression.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

tzorilla posted:

From a couple of pages back

Yes, that would be me. Size A0:

Everdraed made the original image.

And SynthOrange made the avatar version.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3457178&pagenumber=109&perpage=40#post402596826

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

KillHour posted:

I hope you assholes like this, because making it crashed Inkscape 50 goddamn times. And then I had to find a place to host it, which required figuring out how to read German because nobody in the English speaking world believes in images larger than 2048x2048.

http://abload.de/img/image299327ch3.png

This makes me happy. You're a good person.

BBJoey posted:

I like it but now make an animated version where each portrait rapidly switches between styles. :twisted:
Yes please.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
:frogon: is from this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3499406

(Specifically, Mjaulm's comic on page 5)

Based on this E/N thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3499746. American goon had a long-distance Japanese fiancee and they couldn't decide where to live. At some point it came up that she didn't want to leave Japan because she was "paranormally attuned" to the ghosts there.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Anatharon posted:

Is the 'goon carrying a printer' story goldmined?

I don't think so. The bookmark I have just leads to archives.

http://forums.somethingawful.com//showthread.php?s=&threadid=1139364&highlight=borky

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
I had to pick out Hindu wedding cards online a couple years back, and every other one had a loving swastika on it. We gave the kids coloring pages during the wedding, and I had to photoshop out a swastika on Ganesh's forehead. And then I showed up to the ceremony and--swear to god--someone had drawn a swastika on a sticky note and put it on the offering plate because god forbid we not have one at the wedding.

What I'm saying is, I'm blown away at how much it's just not a thing outside of axis/ally countries.

But this is spot on:

syscall girl posted:

Point is, you can't take it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Hey now, other people had frogs, but I was the only butt wizard. :colbert:

Besides Butt Wizard, of course.