Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It took me far, far too long after first seeing :psyduck: to realize that those are arms, not big floppy ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tetraphagia posted:

:coupons:

This was bought to honor the guy who had so many users on his ignore list that the forums started crashing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TRANT RESNER MAN posted:

:notch:
Whats the backstory on this one?

That is Markus "Notch" Persson, creator of the computer game Minecraft and alleged racist.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

gnarlyhotep posted:

What is with "clownballoon" in general? I've seen it enough to get the idea that it means "the poo poo is about to hit the fan", but never knew its origin. :cb:

One day a really long time ago in FYAD Lowtax expressed his disapproval with one thread by posting a huge picture of a clown-shaped hot air balloon.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Whenever you're amazed that someone blew a relative fortune on such a stupid emoticon, remember that emoticons used to cost a lot less, so it was saner to buy a whole series of related emotes like the phone ones.

Of course, that doesn't excuse stuff that happened in the last year or two like the Mass Effect collection.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Jesus, you non-Mass Effect fans seem to hate the smilies as much as most of the game's fans hate the ending of Mass Effect 3.

Poster AG3 bought most of them after Mass Effect 2 came out. I don't really get the hate for them--it's not like you're forced to use them or even see them unless you wander into the ME threads.

I am actually a Mass Effect fan (I just don't post in the threads) and I don't "hate" the smilies, I just think it's stupid to have spent more on smilies than it cost to buy all the games in the first place.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pierzak posted:

Is the :hellyeah: emote from the original Unreal Tournament (looks like a shock rifle combo)?

Yes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MeccaPrime posted:

Why is :pcgaming: PC Gaming?

I also assume that this is related: :pcgaming1:

(It looks from the second one that the frog is tripping on PC Games?

Both of those are left over from YCS. The first was based on somebody's avatar:

And the second on the fact that all PC gamers pirate everything they play.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It means most people who post threads in GBS love cum.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BROS SUN PRAISER posted:

Hey so I was the guy who made :pcgaming:

I bought an av for a friend based on the Brain Machine guy, and he liked PC gaming

then I made a frog of it and someone bought it

I made a lot of frogs back then.

A few others from that era, not sure who did them:

Ah, classic YCS.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

:krad: has been around for longer than I have. I'm surprised it's in the "Horrible & retarded poo poo we can't wait to delete" section, because it was around from before you could buy smilies.

It's still horrible and retarded, but it's almost unheard of for the admins to actually delete smileys off the forum. There's always a huge outcry from someone somewhere.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Crankit posted:

What's the deal with the hands in people's avatars (see chillbro swaggins avatar above for example), I see it with quite a few yosposters I think.

Borrowed from the cartoon Adventure Time:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

the2ndgenesis posted:

Not a smiley per se, but I'm curious about this Spiderman avatar I've been noticing lately:

What's this about? Something from the comics board, I imagine?

It was bought by some anonymous person a while back for a whole lot of people who posted in BSS. Everyone got the hardhat picture except the goon named SpiderHyphenMan, who got a picture of spider-man getting hit in the head with a brick (and this picture sadly isn't coming up on that avatar history tool).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm positive that's not in UT99, unless some people are way more sensitive to subtle goatses than I am. I think you're thinking of the same thing Baron von Eevl is talking about.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:rms2: was the image that was supposed to get bought for the : rms : smiley, but someone screwed up. It's a picture of noted free software advocate and foot gunk connoisseur Richard M. Stallman.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

toanoradian posted:

For :gbsmith:, does it go :smith:, suddenly :unsmith: then continue to become :unsmith: or does it start :unsmith:, looking around then finishes with :smith: before looping? i.e. is it sad --> happy or happy --> sad

The latter.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Friend posted:

What? I always see it used in "man, that's a sad story, but I'm glad there is a silver lining!" situations, which would indicate the former.

I opened the gif in an image editor and the happy frames are first and it animates to sad and then loops back around. It's nitpicky but that's what the guy asked.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ImPureAwesome posted:

Nah, I'm pretty sure there was a thread (or at least a video) with a fat, nerdy goon(?) who tried to show off his new, battle-ready katana that everyone made fun of, who called it Hanzo steel.

You may both be right. The first Kill Bill movie came out in 2003 so it's likely that thread jokes were inspired by it.

IIRC the anime dogtits avatars came from LF but no one ever figured out who was buying them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

WorkingPeer posted:

Not to turn this into an "explain FYAD to me" thread, but what was the deal with the previous FYAD title, "Transfer of file Dio - Holy Diver 8-bit.mp3 complete"?

It seems to come from this series of chat transcripts with a guy named Demonius, but that just raises even more questions...

In a similar vein, what was the story behind "John Cena would never say gently caress in front of his son"?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

d3c0y2 posted:

Who was the guy who had the upside down hardhat spiderman? For some reason that one cracked me up more than others.

The best one was SpiderHyphenMan, who got a picture of spider-man being hit in the head with a brick and the caption "And yet I of all people go un-hardhatted..."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
http://shibaconfessions.tumblr.com/

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That thread started out being named "Description: Maine Coon 2.jpg", which was the filename of the image in the third post on Wikipedia (and it's still there, just not on the page for "cat" any more). It's gone through an awful lot of names since then but DAT FUKKEN CATTE was far from the first.

It's the first place I ever saw "catte" too, but I don't know if it started there either.

haveblue has a new favorite as of 05:55 on Dec 7, 2012

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Club Sandwich posted:

I just saw this referenced in an a/t thread and I was wondering what the story behind :sax: is? For further context, someone asked what differentiated a conspiracy theorist goon from :sax: and someone replied "about 400 dollars."

It's from this video.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Inspector_71 posted:

It gets rather well explained in the game too, though. Unless he thought a rather large part of the player character's backstory was a really elaborate Skyrim reference too.

Several hours later. The guy apparently played the game for fifteen seconds, saw the phrase, realized that he could earn so much youtube cred from be the first person to reveal it, and finished posting the video before a single other thought went through his head.

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME posted:

Yeah because the guy calling himself Ken Levine on Youtube is definitely the real Ken Levine.

Do you know how many accounts Gabe Newell has?

Considering that he's willing to do videos like this it's very plausible.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Just change it to something like :awesome:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's the expression you make when you read the last 14 posts

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm guessing that "devilchild" is a goon who posted a lot on that topic.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The origin and text don't necessarily have anything to do with each other (c.f. :colbert: and :crossarms:).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I know the story, but there's no way to realize that's what happened just from the smilies page.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GenericOverusedName posted:

Yeah, Aristobulus bought a shitton of Mass Effect smilies for reasons we're still not entirely sure of. He also blew a bunch of money buying people avatars in that thread. Guy had way more money than sense. There is also :edi: :zaeed: :sicknasty: I thought there was a :wrex: one too but maybe not.

used to be a thread tag in YCS, and there was a Wrex version of :frogout: floating around but no one put down money to make it a smiley.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Half the people who care about the DR threads are too cheap to even buy an account.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Remember that smileys used to be a lot cheaper. The current $30 price tag was largely to discourage buying dumb poo poo like that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

WorkingPeer posted:

Is this thread seriously funny enough to warrant a 5? Or have I just been posting in yospos so long that I'm used to higher standards for what qualifies as high comedy? :wotwot:

I just voted 5, thought you should know.

quote:

Anyway, my question for the thread is: when people claim that someone bought them a vanity smiley/avatar, or that they only bought it because 'oh dear, someone made it and I just had to buy it lol!' how often is this true, and how often is this just a cover for their inherent gooniness?

Don't really see how that's "cover" because an uncontrollable urge to spend money on a web forum is pretty much the definition of gooniness.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's the Japanese word for the expression it's making.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

forbidden lesbian posted:

Omar and the drat Guy are the only good ones

"drat Guy" is pro wrestler Ron Simmons.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There's also an enormous cucking dramabomb circulating in the gaming world right now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, he wasn't loving cuckolded, he just threw a tantrum and left her alone in a hotel and she cheated on him with some dude. Goons gotta use their new words though :rolleyes:

I'm not gonna read all that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

"[quote posted:

does that work with every tag
"]I guess so[/quote]

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

m2pt5 posted:

I know there used to be a thread in there where every post he tried to make anywhere else in the forums got moved to.

And there was another poster for whom every post was converted into an iframe containing that thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Alhazred posted:

What does :thurman: mean?

It's an American football player (named Thurman) spiking the ball in celebration.