Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I'm more excited for Meikyuu than I am of Tenra Bancho Zero, but I still want to kick over a bunch of money to it in support of JTRPGs in general getting translated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DiamondSutra posted:

Well, it's mainly because the ones that are pre-made are already so useful that I personally didn't see the need (when I played the game): At the most I was like, "Okay, I want to have like this one extra piece of gear, I'll pay a little more to add that to this pregen mecha".

The rules are there if you want, I just didn't find myself wanting. I guess mainly because:
1) The pregens just have a solid all-around mech
2) At the end of the day, the abilities of the mech (bigger gun, treads instead of feet) can be mitigated by simply in play spending a lot of "Kiai points" (think of them like fate points to boost rolls).
And plus, the focus on the drama means that the mech design rules aren't super strategic. Like, in mechwarrior/battletech, I'd sit there for like 30 minutes trying to figure out how I can drop an extra PPC cannon on my mecha without having to stand in a lake to fire it. But with Tenra, the mech creation process is about 4 minutes: "animal head, 6 arms, 2 legs, hmmm... these four pieces of gear, this big sword, those two guns, and... done." Not a lot of balancing required (some, but not the careful excruciating balance of like Battletech or Jovian Chronicles).

So for me, sticking with the default characters or just tweaked a little, and then making them my own, has always worked in play. But the cool thing is that there's all these other options if you want to go in deep. But that's added to the pagecount, though. :-)

I guess my end point is, "The book has a smaller form factor, plus all those optional rules, so don't freak out that there's several hundred pages in the book; you only need to read about 6 in-book comics and a further 20 pages to actually play." :-)
Ah, I see. But if you want to you CAN customize the ever-living poo poo out of your mech, it's just not remotely necessary to do well? Sounds good!

quote:

-Andy
Also, don't sign your posts. You can get probated for that.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

bahamut posted:

Don't really get why folks are going bonkers for Meikyuu all that much. Ah well.

It's just the concept for me. I'm interested in Tenra Bansho just because I've only read a handful of RPGs designed outside the US, much less a non-western one.

rekenner
Oct 29, 2007

Potsticker posted:

I'm more excited for Meikyuu than I am of Tenra Bancho Zero, but I still want to kick over a bunch of money to it in support of JTRPGs in general getting translated.

pretty much this.
I have not been so excited for a P+P system as I am for Meikyuu. It looks like it is so good.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

bahamut posted:

Don't really get why folks are going bonkers for Meikyuu all that much.

:stare:

:argh:

I demand a new Touhou RPG in penance for your blasphemous statements!

DiamondSutra
Jun 8, 2012

BUDDHA LASERS!

bahamut posted:

Really looking forward to GSS. Don't really get why folks are going bonkers for Meikyuu all that much. Ah well.

So, normally I have this thought as well. "With all the other awesome craziness going on, why are people flipping out for another western fantasy RPG with comedy stuff?"

...but, at the same time, I realize that I am flipping out for it to. The only difference is that I have a big pile of magic that I use to buy a bunch of Japanese RPGs (both intending to play and to never play and just read), so because of this magic my "games I really f'ing want to play RIGHT NOW" has gotten a little bloated. It currently looks like this, from highest on down:

Double Cross 3e
Satasupe (Saturday Night Special); also heavily illustrated by Hayami Rasenjin
Tokyo Nova
Tenka Ryoran
Alshard
Endbreakers
Families
*Meikyuu Kingdom*
Fuso Bukyo Den
Gundog 2E
Dungeons and Dragons 5e/Next
etc

So, for me? If someone comes along and translates it (and it looks like Matt S [Ryuutama, Shinobigami] might be doing that in part), I will totally play the crap out of it... But if all eyes pointed to me and Ewen to translate it, we already have a list of stuff we'd want to do first.

BUT, having said that? Even though it's western fantasy and all, it's got a LOT of really unique poo poo in it. I'm hoping that some goon can take their copy, and a webcam, and make a youtube video of a flip-through (even a silent one): That might be enough to show why it's so cool. If no one tackles this in a week or two, I'll go and do it (was planning on making a similar vid for another game).

Mostly, a lot of the appeal is Hayami Rasenjin's really impactful art for the game: Every page is dripping with art, and unique art at that (not typical anime art).
But dig in deeper, and we have things like:
* A supplement focused on WEDDINGS. Including a Bride/Groom CHARACTER CLASS
* print-and-play card/CCG-like mechanics for items, dungeon rooms, etc
* A fast and unique dungeon creation method involving symbols and marks to represent traps and stuff
* Unique/funny monsters. Sure, some of them are like SJGames' Munchkin: One laugh and the novelty instantly wears off. But some are really cute/funny more than just once. I love the dungeon otaku, basically a "monster" which is an unwashed gamer in a bathrobe who controls other monsters.
...and in the end, lots of other little tiny unique little mechanics that pop up here and there that are /different/. I admit, I'm an addict for the New and Unique, both in my job and hobbies, so this point really appeals to me.

(btw, Hayami Rasenjin's twitter; it's sometimes interesting: https://twitter.com/#!/RASENJIN )

Oh, and his website: Lots of art! http://park5.wakwak.com/~rasen/

Also: Thanks for the support and interest in J-RPGs in general. Currently, I can count all the folks who translated J-RPGs on one hand; it's that unique combo of "love RPGs enough to do it; have the Japanese level to be able to do it; and not enough craziness in personal lives to get us to stop doing it". Hopefully as Japanese becomes more popular a language of study, we'll see more folks throw their hat in the ring for translations both "official" and very unofficial (like the SW2.0 Wiki stuff that's going on on the Interwebsnets).

Unfortunately, most furriners with the skills to translate Japanese are already doing so as their main line of work (to that point; Ewen is too) either in a company or freelance; and the money involved with translation (up to 20 cents per word average) vs RPG Writing (up to 1-2 cents per word average) just makes it so that there's a lot of "why bother" in the industry: Why would an established company go and get the rights to a FEAR game, then hire a bunch of prima donnas (we are!) to translate it at 20 cents a word, when they can be inspired by the art and make an English analogue for only 1-2 cents a word? etc.

Kickstarter might change that game.

Zereth posted:

Also, don't sign your posts. You can get probated for that.
Ah, thanks for the advice. baleeted.

DiamondSutra fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 8, 2012

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Oh hey uh, on that note, anything I can do to help with the new version, Bahamut? :haw:

Oh, also, Ewen, if you read this, any word on Yuuyake Koyake?

EDITDEUX: Oooooh, Golden Sky Stories *IS* Yuuyake Koyake. AHAHAHA IGNORE THIS. :haw:

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 8, 2012

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
What's the level of difficulty in the language for the game books? With a little time and a bit of help from a dictionary for new words I can read/TL most light novels, and non-technical magazine articles. I've never looked at the text for one of these games though, and translating them is something I'd be quite interested in doing, for either fun or actually trying to get them out there.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

mikeycp posted:

How did you and Ewan get into doing this stuff?
It's Ewen, and because my parents are very weird people it's pronounced like "Aaron" no less. But anyway.

I mostly learned Japanese in college, and it was only natural to try to find stuff about RPGs from Japan. Andy's probably provided me more information about that kind of thing than anyone else. The very first one I bought was Beast Bind, which I ordered through the local Kinokuniya, and I later started ordering stuff from the Japanese Amazon (even though the shipping was outrageous) and later bugging Andy and other friends to buy stuff for me in Japan.

I actually ordered Maid RPG and Yuuyake Koyake from Sunset Games directly--I was pleasantly surprised to find they could do PayPal--and since it was all of 32 pages, about half of which was the actual rules, I translated the basic rules of Maid RPG for fun. It turned out to be a total blast to play, and for some strange reason I took it into my head that I should publish the full thing in English. I went to Andy for advice, and he wound up being the producer for the game, and like he said, it was quite a learning experience, to the point where I'm glad we did it first so that we got those lessons out of the way for the projects we're working on now.

CommissarMega posted:

So, one of the weirder things with GSS/YK is this:

They did a doujinshi that's a Touhou supplement. You would have to already know Touhou pretty well to really use it, but it has writeups for fairies and shrine maidens as new character types, and guidelines for mashing up existing character types to make pretty much everything else, and writeups of basically all of the Touhou characters. The bulk of the book is two replays, one where the PCs help Cirno say a proper goodbye to Letty Whiterock as the spring comes, and one where they have to try to get Kaguya to stop being a NEET. Where Flowers has a whole battle system and stuff, this book is mainly for honobono/heartwarming stories using Touhou characters. I hate to tease, but I don't know whether we could do an English version.

mikeycp posted:

What's the level of difficulty in the language for the game books? With a little time and a bit of help from a dictionary for new words I can read/TL most light novels, and non-technical magazine articles. I've never looked at the text for one of these games though, and translating them is something I'd be quite interested in doing, for either fun or actually trying to get them out there.
If you can handle a light novel, you should be fine for a TRPG. There's some game-specific vocabulary (and a lot of loanwords and wasei eigo), but nothing too hard to pick up as you go along. It's mostly just the sheer volume of text that's the problem. A while back Andy did some math and found that the text of the entire script for a typical anime episode is about the equivalent of 10 pages of an RPG.

InfiniteJesters posted:

EDITDEUX: Oooooh, Golden Sky Stories *IS* Yuuyake Koyake. AHAHAHA IGNORE THIS. :haw:
e: If you're wondering why we changed the name, aside from it being kinda tricky and in Japanese, I've had conversations where people who are really excited about it will totally forget "Yuuyake Koyake" in less than 5 minutes.

Ewen Cluney fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 8, 2012

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
drat you all for this thread. I'm about to buy a ton of poo poo from Amazon.jp (shipping it via Tenso more than likely)

It's going to take me for-loving-ever to read it all because my Japanese is garbage these days. I expect that by the time I get through two of them it'll be much better. Maybe I'll take some translation notes while reading.

So far the list:

Meikyuu Kingdom
Arianrhod books 1 & 2
Sword World v2 books 1 & 2

Considering

Double Cross
Shinobigami
Nechronica

It looks like the additional book expansions are primarily new classes/levels, while the Senior books are generally additional rules options?

Giant Allege is available HERE in PDF. I'm buying a copy assuming I can get my payment to go through. Payment went through, no problem. You get a week to download the product, so don't forget to back it up!

shoplifter fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 8, 2012

DiamondSutra
Jun 8, 2012

BUDDHA LASERS!
---
mikeycp: If you can read light novels, you'll have no problems with most modern JRPGs. Just grab a few that look appealing and rock out. I highly recommend keeping your project private to start out, do it a little at a time, play locally with friends, and if you get to the point where you think you have something, hit up me or Ewen to take the next step (not to like take the production reins or anything unless you want that, more like just to hook you up with contacts).

Or, alternately, just do what I do for years now: Get a bunch of games, read them before you go to sleep, they make a good, light reading practice even if you never play them.

EDIT: If you want a really good "dip your toe in the water" recommendation, I highly suggest either Sword World 2.0 book 1, or a new game by that same company called "ENDBREAKERS" (Also an extremely cheap core book), based on the internet play-by-post game ( http://t-walker.jp/eb/ ). Very light, lots of good art, simple to understand and play.

---
shoplifter: Good primary choices. All three of those games you pick will be easy to understand comparitively, light-ish on rules, decent amounts of art or good layout so its not just like looking at a horrific wall of indecipherable poo poo, etc.

In your Considering list: Let me know what you like and I'll help recommend.
Honestly, for the price point? If you're ordering from Amazon, just go get both Double Cross and Shinobigami (Book One of each); seriously thats just like 800 and 1200 yen each.

Aside, Amazon.jp is actually THE most reasonable shipping solution for books and stuff... as long as you order a lot of books, and not just a few. The Amazon price is "price of books" plus "one time charge of about $40" plus "+$3 per book". So if you want 1-3 books, not a good price point. But if you're buying 10 or more, there's no cheaper shipping option you'll find other than reshipper service (and it'll come close; the more you buy with Amazon, the overall cheaper it is). In your range, it's a coin flip between Tenso/Amazon. Good Luck!

But I love both DX3 and Shinobigami. They each have a bunch of supplement books, but you absolutely in no way need to ever know of their existence to enjoy the hell out of the game using only the core book.
DX3: Japanese teenage angsty superheroes in a world of conspiracies. Japanese X-Men, basically. Wild results, though: You're not going to heroically beat up robbers, you're going to murder evil students, but at the same time trying to stay alive yourself; and at some points you can only stay alive by burning your friends and people you trust and turning them into enemies that hate you.
Shinobigami: As I say, it's like FIASCO with Ninjas: Very scene structured (three rounds where everyone gets a roleplay or combat scene, followed by a final group or boss fight; winner takes all). But it is one of my favorite games to play recently. The interplay between character secrets, supreme abilities, and not knowing who your friends and enemies are... it's basically set up like a cold war spy game with all the careful planning and skullduggery, but with ninjas. And half the book is a replay, a GREAT replay, that teaches you how to play the game while being a fun, light read.

If you were waffling on, like, "I just want to get the games that I know aren't going to be available publicly in a year in English"... then I'll just say "then skip Shinobigami for now". :-) But that's not an official PR release or anything. I still say that both are worth having in Japanese.

If you wanted to splurge and buy one extra book for each, I would basically point you to the DX3 Core Book 2 (also 800 yen-ish), but TOTALLY not needed (just more setting background, and more powers, but I can't emphasize enough that you can play DX FOREVER and still have fun only using the core book with the red cover), and the second Shinobigami supplement for Shinobigami (again, just like DX3 totally not needed for play; I like it more for the interior art than the additional data on "sub clans", "playing non-ninja PCs", etc).

---
BTW, I'm always happy to play "Japanese RPG Sommelier" to recommend people games that will suit their interests. So if you're ever in a buyin' mood, feel free to hit me up here or offline (you can find my info easily enough, G+ is a great contact point, or through story-games or j-rpg.com).

Good luck!

DiamondSutra fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 8, 2012

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
What's SataSupe? Is that some wacky Japanese Shadowrun heartbreaker or crime game?

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Thanks - I was entirely likely to pick up all of it. I'm torn on Nechronica though, the pricetag is scaring me away. I did get to the shipping on Amazon and it looked (like you said) to be a tossup between them and Tenso. That said, if I'm spending between 4500¥ and 6000¥ on shipping as it is, I'll just get it from Amazon and avoid the reshipping while getting it a week or two earlier.

I'm pretty sure (?) I remember badgering you about Tenra at Origins a few years back, so I'm glad it's finally going to see the light of day.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Ewen Cluney posted:

e: If you're wondering why we changed the name, aside from it being kinda tricky and in Japanese, I've had conversations where people who are really excited about it will totally forget "Yuuyake Koyake" in less than 5 minutes.

Ahhhh, okay. That's sensible.

Also, the description for Ryuutama has me thinking of Secret of Mana from the SNES. Rabites, anyone? :3:

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

I'm really tempted to pick up Giant Allege, especially since people have been pestering me about it. Don't really have time to do much with it but I want to be a defense lawyer in a giant mecha bad enough that I might make time.

DiamondSutra posted:

BUT, having said that? Even though [Meikyuu Kingdom is] western fantasy and all, it's got a LOT of really unique poo poo in it. I'm hoping that some goon can take their copy, and a webcam, and make a youtube video of a flip-through (even a silent one): That might be enough to show why it's so cool. If no one tackles this in a week or two, I'll go and do it (was planning on making a similar vid for another game).

I might do this. I'm not around my books right now, but they are awesome books.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Ewen Cluney posted:

It's Ewen, and because my parents are very weird people it's pronounced like "Aaron" no less. But anyway.

If you can handle a light novel, you should be fine for a TRPG. There's some game-specific vocabulary (and a lot of loanwords and wasei eigo), but nothing too hard to pick up as you go along. It's mostly just the sheer volume of text that's the problem. A while back Andy did some math and found that the text of the entire script for a typical anime episode is about the equivalent of 10 pages of an RPG.

Oh. Sorry about getting your name wrong.
And oh man that sounds like a definite long-term project.

DiamondSutra posted:

---
mikeycp: If you can read light novels, you'll have no problems with most modern JRPGs. Just grab a few that look appealing and rock out. I highly recommend keeping your project private to start out, do it a little at a time, play locally with friends, and if you get to the point where you think you have something, hit up me or Ewen to take the next step (not to like take the production reins or anything unless you want that, more like just to hook you up with contacts).

Or, alternately, just do what I do for years now: Get a bunch of games, read them before you go to sleep, they make a good, light reading practice even if you never play them.

EDIT: If you want a really good "dip your toe in the water" recommendation, I highly suggest either Sword World 2.0 book 1, or a new game by that same company called "ENDBREAKERS" (Also an extremely cheap core book), based on the internet play-by-post game ( http://t-walker.jp/eb/ ). Very light, lots of good art, simple to understand and play.

Oh cool. Thanks you two! I'll have to grab a few books when I'm in Tokyo over the summer so I can try my hand at this.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

InfiniteJesters posted:

Oh hey uh, on that note, anything I can do to help with the new version, Bahamut? :haw:

Would adding the goon-made Touhou RPG to the main thread be appropriate, even if it wasn't necessrily made in Japan? (Unless Bahamut is from Japan, of course)

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011
I keep meaning to proof this further, but drat it, it's just not likely to happen, so here it is: the first play log of our Meikyuu Kingdom test group, covering the initial kingdom generation. Also, I should perhaps warn you that the players are all veterans from my Maid RPG IRC channel, so expect that. Also also, if it seems like jumping in the middle, that's because this is the first time in a while they've all played together, so there was a whole ton of chattering beforehand that it was easier to just chop off completely.

pre:
GM     First thing we need is a Kingdom name. Since I don't imagine we're going to come to anything like a consensus
       on that issue, we'll roll it up.
Ninny  Wait, you can roll names in this game?
Nom    For the kingdom, at least.
GM     Actually, you can roll quite a few things. Everything in this game uses d6s, so let's try using those to
       decide who goes first among the six of you.

The GM rolls three six-sided dice, resulting in a 3, 2, and 6.

GM     Ninny, Gaatz, and Tatch!
Tatch  Yes.
Ninny  Yes? Oh, am I three or something?
Gaatz  Come at me, bro.
GM     Better to do this separate, now that I think about it.
Ninny  Yay, am I first?
GM     No, I'll start with Tatch since he spoke up first.
Tatch  drat straight.
GM     Roll a d66.
Tatch  Huh?
GM     Er, game term. Sort of a d10 percentile roll, only with two d6s. Roll them and I'll explain how it works.

Tatch rolls two d6s, resulting in a 5 and a 2.

Nom    52?
GM     Nope, 25.
Gaatz  Yeah, the way they do 2d6 is funny.
GM     It's odd. In a d66, the low roll is tens and the high roll is ones. So even if it reads as 52, it's actually 25,
       since the two's die is lower than the fives.
Nom    Oh, okay.
GM     Anyway, 25 means "Traditional".
GM     Fair warning, the name is going to be awkward because it's using a Japanese structure and I haven't gotten
       near as far as actually adapting it to English.
BNS    I'm sure we'll be able to hodge-podge it together into something that makes sense.
GM     Gaatz, you're next.

Gaatz  rolls two d6s, resulting in a 4 and a 6.

GM     "Roman". So far, so good.
GM     Kyuu-chan, you're next.
Ninny  Yeah man, my roll is gonna gently caress poo poo up!

Ninny  rolls two d6s, resulting in a 1 and a 3.

GM     "Corporation". Traditional Roman Corporation... Well, then.
Tatch  Traditional Roman Corporation. 
Tatch  I can work with that.
Gaatz  ...hm.
BNS    I quote: "If that's still not quite to taste, any player who didn't get to roll can change one result each."
GM     Indeed. We'll go with those that didn't get to roll for the original name: Nom, Pyg and Bean.
Nom    Hey, that's me.
Pyg    Woosh!
BNS    Sup.
GM     Like Bean(BNS) has been saying, you each get a chance to change any one result you don't like. Let's go by turns
       again for simplicity.
BNS    Do we roll or just pick a result ourselves?
GM     It doesn't say anything about rolling, so you can just pick. I'll let you roll if you want, though.
Nom    So right now we're a Traditional Roman Corporation?
BNS    Yep. We get to change one of those three parts, if we want.
GM     Well, that's only supposed to be the name, not the identity. It sounds better in Japanese, but all I've done so far
       is a literal translation of the table.
Nom    I am fine with playing along with anything.
GM     So you're going to pass?
Nom    Pass, yes.
GM     Bean, Pyg? I do assume that whatever you change has to be changed to something from the same table.
BNS    I'm thinking of changing the first word to Neo so we can be a Neo-Roman Corporation, maybe. Waiting on what
       Pyg does, though.
Pyg    Am I rolling to change or do I just pick one?
BNS    Your choice, Pyg.
BNS    To be honest, Corporation bugs me too.
Pyg    I might change that.
Tatch  Neo roman coroporation sounds pretty badass, IMO.
Ninny  I'm not big on the Corporation bit either.
Nom    Corporations can technically be traced back to Roman law, even the modern understanding of the body corporate
       only came from England.

Pyg    rolls two d6s, resulting in a 2 and a 3.

BNS    23 = Planet or Star.
GM     "Traditional Roman Planet". So now you're a Star Trek episode.
Nom    Oh ho!
BNS    Or Traditional Roman Star.
Pyg    orz
GM     Bean, anything you want to change now?
BNS    Think I'm gonna change Traditional to Neo. So, we're the Neo-Roman Planet/Star.
GM     Alrighty then.
Nom    All togas, all the time.
GM     Neo-Roman Starplanet.
BNS    Hell yeah.
BNS    TO-GA, TO-GA!
Tatch  Neo-Roman Deathstar.
GM     Next up is the big change: Environment.
Tatch  Who rolls for this one?
GM     Everybody, myself included.
GM     I'll go first, then we'll just go in alphabetical order.
GM     This is actually two rolls: a regular 2d6 to find out what table we roll on, and then a 1d6 on that table.
       This time, we add the 2d6 together to get one number.

The GM rolls two d6s, adding them together for a result of 10.

GM     Facilities. These are special buildings and such... Actually, this table has a third roll.

The GM rolls one die, resulting in a 4.

GM     Some sort of public social dealiebob. "Your kingdom puts its people first, and a lot of work goes into their
       social security." The third roll determines the exact Facility.

The GM rolls one die, resulting in a 3.

GM     A Depot.
Tatch  Makes sense... like a food bank or something?
BNS    Probably some kind of storage
GM     Yeah, storage, basically.
Gaatz  What the fack. We're socialists?
Pyg    Roman Star!
Nom    We're a welfare state.
Tatch  Maoists-facists-socialists to be precise.
GM     What this does is, you pick one type of Material, and the Kingdom can store an unlimited number of it in the
       Depot. I don't have a list of Materials handy, yet, so we'll figure that out later. Anyway, Bean is next.

BNS    rolls two d6s, adding them together for a result of 7.

GM     Resources. Roll one more die.

BNS    rolls one die, resulting in a 3.

GM     Oho, Monster citizens.
BNS    Co-existence with dungeon monsters...
Tatch  Catgirls!
GM     No catgirls, sadly.
Tatch  D:
GM     Roll two more dice - one to determine the number of monstrous citizens, the other to determine their race.

BNS    rolls one die, resulting in a 6.

BNS    Six of our citizens are...

BNS    rolls again and gets another 6.

GM     Gah, figures it'd be that one. They're Hurry Foxes. I have no earthly idea what Hurry Foxes actually are.
BNS    Hurry Foxes? Sounds like a Megaman X boss.
Gaatz  They're foxes.  HURR.
Tatch  HAhahahaha
Nom    They're the White Rabbit's understudy.
BNS    Can we just consider them Foxgirls?
GM     Sure. The card art is some kind of woman in a kimono and a mask with fox ears, so foxgirls. Run with it.
BNS    Awesome.
Tatch  So we have six citizens in our country who are Foxgirls. Okay.
GM     Forty-four humans and six foxgirls.
BNS    We also have 1 Ranch, whatever that does.
GM     Basically, you can make a Check with it to generate another Monster Citizen.
BNS    At a ranch? And we decided these are foxgirls?
GM     Uh... yeah.
Gaatz  We've rolled up a hentai plot at worldgen. AWESOME.
GM     ...deal with that later. Gaatz, you're up.

Gaatz  rolls two d6s, adding them together for a result of 7.

GM     More Resources.

Gaatz  rolls one die, resulting in a 4.

GM     Alliance! "Your kingdom recently entered into an alliance. From the Terra Cognita field on the Kingdom Sheet,
       select one Terra Incognita at random and establish a Kingdom there. Generate a name and one {Staple} at random
       using the appropriate tables. Mark down your Kingdom as being allied with the new one." So basically there's
       another Kingdom nearby, and you're buddy-buddy.
BNS    And they give us stuff as trade.
BNS    Do we have Staple tables for Gaatz to roll on?
GM     Yeah, but I don't think I've come across that table yet, so we'll figure that out later.
GM     It's a d66 to figure out where this other Kingdom is situated.
Gaatz  Aww, a buddy kingdom~
Gaatz  Can I have a buddy King and we just sit around, talking about Kingly things, and watch our servants make love
       to one another over a drink?
GM     We'll see, honey. Right now, roll d66 for where the heck.
Tatch  Neo-Greece Corporation?
BNS    Neo-Greece Starplanet.

Gaatz  rolls two d6s, resulting in a 3 and a 5.

GM     E-3. That's the coordinate position on the map thinger.
BNS    We're allied with E3. They give us vidya gaems in trade.
GM     I'm gonna roll a bunch of crap at once so we can figure out their nation's name.

The GM rolls six d6s, separating them and reading them as 12, 24, and 36.

GM     Imperial...
GM     ...Kitty...
GM     ...Organization.
GM     Awesome.
BNS    Nice.
Tatch  CTARL CTARL EMPIRE!
GM     I'll roll up a Staple as soon as I find out where I do that. Right now, it's Ninny's turn on the Environment
       dingus.

Ninny  rolls two d6s, adding them together for a result of 4.

GM     Customs.

Ninny  rolls one die, resulting in a 4.

GM     4: "Many retired adventurers and soldiers have gathered in your kingdom. [Military] base value increases by 1."
       Sounds about right for Romans.
GM     Lots of bored soldiers hanging around, looking for trouble.
BNS    They are attracted to our foxgirl population.
Tatch  All six of them.
GM     The whole Kingdom is only 50 people, including you guys.
Pyg    That's a lot of vacant lots.
Nom    Our planet is kinda lame.
GM     No, it's just a really tiny Kingdom. Nine rooms and that's your lot to start with.
GM     Yo, Nom, roll up.

Nom    rolls two d6s, adding them up for a result of 5.

GM     More Customs.

Nom    rolls one die, resulting in a 4.

GM     ...and more soldiers.
Nom    ...I am super like that.
BNS    We are gonna be the buffest military around.
Tatch  Makes sense. The dice gods are smiling on us.
GM     Well, if you ever decide to invade the Ctarls, you're on the right track.
BNS    It's like we really are post-timeskip Team Gurren.
Nom    I have introduced Marius reforms.
GM     Next, introduce Mario reforms: all roads are replaced by warp pipes.
Gaatz  Hey, wait. We're Roman, aren't we? And Roman held slaves, right? AS KING(or emperor), MY FIRST MANDATE IS A
       CATGIRL SERVANT FOR EVERY CITIZEN OF OUR GLORIOUS KINGDOM/EMPIRE!
BNS    LONG LIVE THE KING!
Nom    So much for alliances...
GM     Such are the winds of change. Tatch, your turn to roll.
Tatch  Ok!

Tatch  rolls 2d6, adding them together for a result of 3. He then rolls one more d6, resulting in a 3.

GM     Oh wow, Arts & Sciences.
BNS    3: "Your kingdom has its own unique martial art, handed down through your military for ages. Start with one
       {Chevaliers}. Additionally, start with one {Guild} (p. 107) focusing on some form of melee combat or marksmanship."
GM     You now have your own super-secret Martial Art.
Gaatz  Oh poo poo yeah, Martial Arts!
Tatch  HAHAHAHA you're welcome.
GM     Now Pyg.

Pyg    rolls two d6s, adding them together for a result of 5.

GM     Customs... uh-oh.
BNS    In before another four.
GM     Drop the shoe.

Pyg    rolls a single die, resulting in a 3.

GM     3: "Your kingdom firmly believes in the rule of law and decorum, and tends to be protective of same. [Public
       Order] base value increases by 1."
Tatch  Wow. That's actually really Roman.
Gaatz  Decorum even sounds Roman.
BNS    Nice. GJ, Pyg.
GM     Yeah, that worked out real nice all around.
BNS    Are we missing anything?
GM     Mmmnope. Everyone rolled.
BNS    Next is Population.
BNS    Which I think we determined was 44 Humans, 6 Hurry Foxes.
GM     Yeah, population is easy, it always starts at 50 unless modified by an Environment roll.
Gaatz  I still like to think they're regular foxes that talk and end each sentence with HURR. Get them with some Durry
       Ducks and it's just a cacaphony.
GM     Next is National Power. Which is four things added together, all of which start out at 1 normally.
GM     Quality of Life is being rich and stuff. No modifiers, 1.
GM     Cultural Level is art and stuff. No modifiers, 1.
GM     Public Order is law and stuff. Modified +1, 2.
GM     Military is soldiers and stuff. You got a lot of them, 3.
GM     National Power is 7
Tatch  Furk yeah!
Nom    Huzzah, even though I don't know what that means.
GM     There are some abilities and such that work off of it. For the moment, it's just a number.

BNS    So, translation ends at Geography, does that mean we're done for tonight?
GM     Geography is really just drawing lines on a map of the Kingdom, so you can get around it and leave if you want.
We can stop here, or go on to Character creation.
BNS    Up to you.
Pyg    Keep going!
Tatch  Character Creation sounds fun.
Nom    I would like to see more of this.
Ninny  Continue.
Gaatz  Just go for it!
GM     Okay then!
To be continued... (actually, it's been continued, what I mean is I'll post it some other time because this is freaking long enough).

Bitchtits McGee fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 9, 2012

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Mikan posted:

I'm really tempted to pick up Giant Allege, especially since people have been pestering me about it.

I see what you did there.

This is more of a general question but if I wanted to get started on learning some of the basics for reading comprehension for Japanese, mostly getting familiar with the kanji, grammar etc. where should one start?

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!

CommissarMega posted:

It's in the works! Honest! For a long while I'd suffered from bouts of apathy and lack of inspiration, only adding to it little bits at a time, but after working on Advanced Second & Fourth Basic Immortalth Edition, I feel a strong desire to resume work on Tale of Phantasmal Land.

DiamondSutra posted:

Also: Thanks for the support and interest in J-RPGs in general. Currently, I can count all the folks who translated J-RPGs on one hand; it's that unique combo of "love RPGs enough to do it; have the Japanese level to be able to do it; and not enough craziness in personal lives to get us to stop doing it". Hopefully as Japanese becomes more popular a language of study, we'll see more folks throw their hat in the ring for translations both "official" and very unofficial (like the SW2.0 Wiki stuff that's going on on the Interwebsnets).

Unfortunately, most furriners with the skills to translate Japanese are already doing so as their main line of work (to that point; Ewen is too) either in a company or freelance; and the money involved with translation (up to 20 cents per word average) vs RPG Writing (up to 1-2 cents per word average) just makes it so that there's a lot of "why bother" in the industry: Why would an established company go and get the rights to a FEAR game, then hire a bunch of prima donnas (we are!) to translate it at 20 cents a word, when they can be inspired by the art and make an English analogue for only 1-2 cents a word? etc.

Kickstarter might change that game.

The state of RPG writing is really quite tragic, yeah. Definitely a for-the-love-of-the-game sort of thing. My translation speed is also a snail's pace sort of thing, and I've found my time is better spent either a) making my own stuff, or b) assembling the stuff written by other people into visually appealing layouts.

InfiniteJesters posted:

Right now there isn't too much anyone else can do, unfortunately. I'm still a ways off from assembling a new fancy pdf, but I'll definitely be interested in feedback when I slap together a bare-bones/playtest-ish one. My biggest concern is actually art assets for when it comes time to do a new fancy pdf, but I've got a helluva lot of writing still to do first.

Ewen Cluney posted:

So, one of the weirder things with GSS/YK is this:

They did a doujinshi that's a Touhou supplement. You would have to already know Touhou pretty well to really use it, but it has writeups for fairies and shrine maidens as new character types, and guidelines for mashing up existing character types to make pretty much everything else, and writeups of basically all of the Touhou characters. The bulk of the book is two replays, one where the PCs help Cirno say a proper goodbye to Letty Whiterock as the spring comes, and one where they have to try to get Kaguya to stop being a NEET. Where Flowers has a whole battle system and stuff, this book is mainly for honobono/heartwarming stories using Touhou characters. I hate to tease, but I don't know whether we could do an English version.

When I'd first read up on GSS I'd thought about how it sounded like it would work for something like Touhou, so I'm glad to see that someone gave it a go!

SirPhoebos posted:

Would adding the goon-made Touhou RPG to the main thread be appropriate, even if it wasn't necessrily made in Japan? (Unless Bahamut is from Japan, of course)

The earliest version was terrible, and the second version was mathematically unsound because I made a huge change before making the pdf without thinking things all the way through. The next version will be post worthy though, I'm certain.

I'm from Canada, which is one of the reasons why I'd adopted Momiji Inubashiri as the game's patron Touhou.

I have also given some thought to trying to sell Treasure Hunters (another game with slight anime influences which I'd conjured up for last month's TradGames design contest) in an effort to raise money to pay for proper art assets in the next version of Tale of Phantasmal Land.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Bitchtits McGee posted:

Meikyuu replay

More-- more--

I do enjoy reading replays of cool games and this is great!

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

aldantefax posted:

This is more of a general question but if I wanted to get started on learning some of the basics for reading comprehension for Japanese, mostly getting familiar with the kanji, grammar etc. where should one start?
Different people learn in different ways. I actually took a class on second language acquisition, in adult-level Japanese, which was pretty intense, and between that and my direct experience, I found that taking classes was the best way to learn, but you need to blend in having conversations (and struggling with them a little bit) in the language, preferably with native speakers. The interaction where you work out what the other person is trying to convey is very important to the language learning process, which is why professors constantly have students break up into discussion groups. There are also some immersion programs (like at Middlebury College) that are supposedly incredibly good, but were (and still are) always waaaaay out of my price range. From what I've heard (another thing I was never able to afford) living in Japan can be a big help, as long as you don't let yourself be surrounded by English speakers.

I've done self-study, but I was only ever able to really do that when I was working as a security guard and had nothing better to do for regular 8-hour shifts. (Now that I have a day job where I have to actually do things, at least when I'm not slacking off on forums, I've found it night-impossible to get any language study done.) The selection of Japanese textbooks has changes a lot since I was in the thick of things, and for the better it seems, so I don't really know what's good. Stay away from the Learn Japanese books from the University of Hawaii though; those were probably good back in the early 90s when they weren't totally out of date. I've literally seen Japanese people burst out laughing at a couple of the words used in their. The Let's Learn Kanji book from Kodansha OTOH is excellent.

If you stick with it for a year's worth of materials, The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary is very good too, and you might want to invest in an electronic dictionary or a smartphone app at least. If anyone finds an affordable Japanese OCR program they will have my eternal thanks.

Also, if you do stuff with Japanese Jim Breen's WWWJDIC is your best friend.
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1C

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

http://www.jisho.org/ and this android app have been really helpful to me as well.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bitchtits McGee posted:

Meikyuu Kingdom

This sounds absolutely excellent. Can't wait until the translation's done

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

bahamut posted:

Right now there isn't too much anyone else can do, unfortunately. I'm still a ways off from assembling a new fancy pdf, but I'll definitely be interested in feedback when I slap together a bare-bones/playtest-ish one. My biggest concern is actually art assets for when it comes time to do a new fancy pdf, but I've got a helluva lot of writing still to do first.

I vote either

A) Pay DrSunshine in beer to do the work

or B) Use create.swf sprites as placeholders since they have the same goofiness as the Socha chibis. :haw:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So how many separate translation projects for Meikyuu Kingdom are currently going on?

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Evil Mastermind posted:

So how many separate translation projects for Meikyuu Kingdom are currently going on?

How many non-native Japanese speakers are there in this hobby?

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Evil Mastermind posted:

Not enough :colbert:

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!

InfiniteJesters posted:

A) Pay DrSunshine in beer to do the work
You have no idea how strongly I have considered this.

Except, then I need to sell Treasure Hunters, so I have money to buy beer for the good Doctor. All my regular money goes to buy beer for me, which I feel is a requisite for writing Touhou things.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

bahamut posted:

You have no idea how strongly I have considered this.

Except, then I need to sell Treasure Hunters, so I have money to buy beer for the good Doctor. All my regular money goes to buy beer for me, which I feel is a requisite for writing Touhou things.

Obviously it is time for a new revolution in crowdsourcing.

I call it...

BEERSTARTER.

In all seriousness, considering that all he really wants is something to keep himself busy, why not ask him in the Touhou thread? He is nothing if not flexible.

(I'm trying to imagine what his chibis would look like and the mind boggles, though. :v: )

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 9, 2012

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Is the World of Darkness popular at all?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Are any of these j-rpgs going to be available in English at Gencon this year and is anyone running a game with them?

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Pope Guilty posted:

From what I can tell WoD has done just well enough to stick around, but nothing spectacular. Like, they did a total of around 5 books for Vampire, and never got around to putting out Wraith or Changeling. My favorite thing about that is that the Japanese publisher felt that Exalted was too riduclous. (Though to be fair, the Japanese publisher specializes in gothy stuff.) Andy can probably fill in more accurately though.

clockworkjoe posted:

Are any of these j-rpgs going to be available in English at Gencon this year and is anyone running a game with them?
For my part going to Gen Con (or much of any conventions) it out of my financial reach at the moment. However, Cel*Style is going to have a booth at Gen Con, so at the very least Jake Richmond and company should be there with copies of Maid RPG on hand, but I don't think any of the other upcoming translated games will quite be ready in time. (We tried rushing to be ready in time for Gen Con with Maid RPG; never again.)

I'll see about getting if not books then at least a demo kit to Jake for Golden Sky Stories, especially since the guy is just a demoing machine. The Games On Demand people specifically asked for Cel*Style games to run, so that'd be your best bet. (Though really, if you're going to Gen Con you should check out Games On Demand regardless.)

DiamondSutra
Jun 8, 2012

BUDDHA LASERS!

Pope Guilty posted:

What Ewen said. It's got its fans, and apparently the Requiem came out, but they're few and far between. Mostly fans translate these games into Japanese, then a year or so later Arclight/whoever comes out with the official version. For example, pretty much every single Japanese RPGer I've met has played Call of Cthulhu, but I've only met two that played Vampire.

But it's known! There's a crack in the Shinobigami book where one player points at another player after she said something and says "Nice White Wolf you pulled there! Ha!"

(and then the footnote explains that White Wolf is a game company that produces Vampire yadda yadda yadda, and that it's known for basically saying that since ancient history, the Xes in this book have been the TRUE steer-ers of history, etc; basically the player did an aside and said something like, "My ninja clan is ancient and was actually responsible for the building of the pyramids and (a few other events)")

Unfortunately I also heard the same about Exalted, and hadn't heard anything deeper than that. Some folks are aware of its existence, but most folks are like "...but we've got that over here with about a dozen games..."
(And I tell them, "Not true! You don't have a combat system and bloated and meaningless as Exalted 2E!)

---

clockworkjoe posted:

Yeah, what Ewen said there re NEVAR FORGET (and never again). Maybe there will be some board games, Tanto Cuore supplements and stuff. Someone might be selling the SCG (scenario-based card game; not collectible) "Endbreakers: Build and Break", which looks fun but is a bit pricey, built upon the RPG imprint. But no actual RPGs save what Ewen said about Cel Style and maybe Indie Press Revolution.

---

shoplifter posted:

I'm pretty sure (?) I remember badgering you about Tenra at Origins a few years back, so I'm glad it's finally going to see the light of day.
Necronica: I really dig the concept! But for where you're at, and given the fact that it's kinda more "wall of text-y" than the other ones (a lot of the cool art is actually on the website, in the form of those character sheets), it's probably too much on the cost vs payout scale.

And thanks for badgering! I had a blast at that Origins even though they F'ED UP ***every single one*** of my scheduled events, my friends' events, and couldn't give a rats rear end about making it right ("Sorry, I just man this help desk, none of us can really do anything." "...then why are you here???"). I took bullshit and sqeezed out some smelly but servicable lemonade. Otherwise, I actually dug that con. Love the city, too, far more than Indy. The food!

---

MadRhetoric posted:

What's SataSupe? Is that some wacky Japanese Shadowrun heartbreaker or crime game?
Sorta! Not cyber, all crime action. Think of it as probably the closest RPG to "Black Lagoon" I can imagine. Rules focus on a few areas:
investigations
chases
loving
drugs
abnormal hobbies
gunfights
becoming more and more a criminal

it's tight an brilliant, and has a ton of that Hayami Rasenjin art (Meikyuu) that really, REALLY makes it truly stand out.
It's a lot of data/material, though.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I recall TORG being popular many years after it's cancellation in Japan. I know there's a guy who put out a Code Geass worldbook for TORG at Comiket and he's the same guy who managed to get people together for small conventions for TORG.

Speaking of Comiket, while porn dojinshi gets the major draw, especially through our lens here, there's also a ton of dojin splatbooks and replays that have been made. I was talking to that guy at Hen Da Ne about dojin splatbooks and he told me he had bought a Pokemon GURPS supplement, with complete rules and scenario for running a Pokemon campaign, just like you'd find for GURPS Cyberpunk or GURPS Cthulhu. The only problem with selling them over here is that it's very text-heavy and there's not that big of a market to risk investing in.

DiamondSutra
Jun 8, 2012

BUDDHA LASERS!

Young Freud posted:

I recall TORG being popular many years after it's cancellation in Japan...

Indeed ti was! A large part of that might be because of all the Japanese buy in: All the core books and supplements were rewritten and published with Japanese form-factors and art for release in Japan.

Are you in Japan perhaps near Tokyo? If so, check out Cafe Daydream in Kanda: They have a library of games, including most of the Japanese TORG books.

Interesting note: The core staff of FEAR, "Suzufuki Tarot" (Nakajima) and Inoue Junichi were writers for TORG when it came out. It was their break with TORG that led them to bigger and better things.

quote:

Speaking of Comiket, while porn dojinshi gets the major draw, especially through our lens here, there's also a ton of dojin splatbooks and replays that have been made. I was talking to that guy at Hen Da Ne about dojin splatbooks and he told me he had bought a Pokemon GURPS supplement, with complete rules and scenario for running a Pokemon campaign, just like you'd find for GURPS Cyberpunk or GURPS Cthulhu. The only problem with selling them over here is that it's very text-heavy and there's not that big of a market to risk investing in.

Comiket gaming area is liquid nitrogen explosion awesome. Right after I returned from Tokyo unfortunately was the first ever "Tokyo Game Market", basically a new type of indie convention alike the comiket though orders of magnitude smaller, focusing on Japanese game designers: RPG, board, card, etc. I want to go sometime if it continues to be a thing, it sounded like the Comiket game area but given its own con, plus other designers as well.

But yeah, I've got a few indie GURPS supplements of kinda decent quality: "GURPS: Tarot" (basically a "magical demon-hunting high school setting"), plus of course all the awesome homebrew games and systems and replays.

The Touhou RPG "Flowers" cited above? I knew that guy from long, long ago: In the late 90s I went with my manga/game friends to help them out at the komike (my good friend Satoru was at the time friends with Yonekura Kengo, so I helped her set up a booth one year! This was a few years before Warau Kangoufu/Fire Candy tho), and I stumbled across one of the most prized games in my collection: It's called "Me to Me ga Attara SAN Chekku!" or "When their eyes meet, roll a SAN check!" Basically it's a comedy romance RPG that uses motherfucking CALL OF CTHULHU as its rules engine, and yes including the SAN chart as-is, untouched. I bought it from him back in the day, and years later ran into him again online right as he was releasing Flowers!

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

DiamondSutra posted:

It's called "Me to Me ga Attara SAN Chekku!" or "When their eyes meet, roll a SAN check!" Basically it's a comedy romance RPG that uses motherfucking CALL OF CTHULHU as its rules engine, and yes including the SAN chart as-is, untouched. I bought it from him back in the day, and years later ran into him again online right as he was releasing Flowers!

I have newfound utmost respect for this foreign colleague of yours now. :haw:

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

'Haiyore! Nyaruko-san The Game'? I can dig it.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

DiamondSutra posted:

Sorta! Not cyber, all crime action. Think of it as probably the closest RPG to "Black Lagoon" I can imagine. Rules focus on a few areas:
investigations
chases
loving
drugs
abnormal hobbies
gunfights
becoming more and more a criminal

it's tight an brilliant, and has a ton of that Hayami Rasenjin art (Meikyuu) that really, REALLY makes it truly stand out.
It's a lot of data/material, though.

Oh god yes I want to see/play this so badly. You had me at "Black Lagoon".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cheap Trick posted:

'Haiyore! Nyaruko-san The Game'? I can dig it.

I want it so bad! :allears:

MadRhetoric posted:

Oh god yes I want to see/play this so badly. You had me at "Black Lagoon".

Same here on all counts :hawaaaafap:

• Locked thread