Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
This wasn't what I thought I would be looking for/buying when I'm in Japan for the summer, but I guess it is now. Seems like I also know what I'll be trying as my next translation project. Gotta find me some of that sweet Ryuutama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
If I could think of a way to make, or to at least not lose money translating/publishing these, I would be tempted to try.
But alas.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I'm interested in this information as well.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

How did you and Ewan get into doing this stuff?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

What's the level of difficulty in the language for the game books? With a little time and a bit of help from a dictionary for new words I can read/TL most light novels, and non-technical magazine articles. I've never looked at the text for one of these games though, and translating them is something I'd be quite interested in doing, for either fun or actually trying to get them out there.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Ewen Cluney posted:

It's Ewen, and because my parents are very weird people it's pronounced like "Aaron" no less. But anyway.

If you can handle a light novel, you should be fine for a TRPG. There's some game-specific vocabulary (and a lot of loanwords and wasei eigo), but nothing too hard to pick up as you go along. It's mostly just the sheer volume of text that's the problem. A while back Andy did some math and found that the text of the entire script for a typical anime episode is about the equivalent of 10 pages of an RPG.

Oh. Sorry about getting your name wrong.
And oh man that sounds like a definite long-term project.

DiamondSutra posted:

---
mikeycp: If you can read light novels, you'll have no problems with most modern JRPGs. Just grab a few that look appealing and rock out. I highly recommend keeping your project private to start out, do it a little at a time, play locally with friends, and if you get to the point where you think you have something, hit up me or Ewen to take the next step (not to like take the production reins or anything unless you want that, more like just to hook you up with contacts).

Or, alternately, just do what I do for years now: Get a bunch of games, read them before you go to sleep, they make a good, light reading practice even if you never play them.

EDIT: If you want a really good "dip your toe in the water" recommendation, I highly suggest either Sword World 2.0 book 1, or a new game by that same company called "ENDBREAKERS" (Also an extremely cheap core book), based on the internet play-by-post game ( http://t-walker.jp/eb/ ). Very light, lots of good art, simple to understand and play.

Oh cool. Thanks you two! I'll have to grab a few books when I'm in Tokyo over the summer so I can try my hand at this.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I am also way down to throw money at those books.

Also, does anyone know how the TL for Meikyuu Kingdom is going? I got the 2 main books myself, so if there's some way I can help with the effort I would be very glad to do so. Otherwise I will just have it be a personal project.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I will be in. Still deciding between $55 and $70. I want those dice, but Seventy Dollars...

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Does anybody here happen to know of any game stores in the Osaka/Kansai area? I found the Yellow Submarine in Namba, but it's just card games...I would love to get some Meikyuu setting books if I can manage it.

Also, I'm taking Meikyuu into my own hands and am going to try to translate it myself. Not being in school, along with people who want to see it done will hopefully keep me going with it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

mikeycp posted:

Does anybody here happen to know of any game stores in the Osaka/Kansai area? I found the Yellow Submarine in Namba, but it's just card games...I would love to get some Meikyuu setting books if I can manage

Apparently I'm blind and there is a separate Yellow Submarine for games right next to the card one...

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

That's how it was in Akihabara too??
I feel double stupid now...

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Also, was only going to pledge $55 for TBZ, somehow ended up donating $70. My wallet is slightly angry with me...

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

DiamondSutra posted:

Looks like you found the other YS right down the road. Next time you head to Kobe, there's one there too.

Really? Sweet. Maybe they'll have the rest of the Meikyuu cards, or even better, the color ones. Today I bought what I think is an older edition, since it's the black and white ones from the book in card stock, with backs on them. And they were out of the monster set, so I have everything except those.

More exciting though, I grabbed Meikyuu Days, which looks to be the modern high school setting. It looks endlessly amusing.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

Andy is a cool guy.

Be sure to do the Bay Area proud while you're rocking the gently caress out.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

You knew I was and you still didn't see me very often. :colbert:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

You were three hours and $50 away.

Excuses excuses.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I'm down for getting my rear end back down to the Bay to play some Japanese elfgames!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

TurninTrix posted:

So, how hard would it be to do super sentai with TBZ?

This is something that I was also wondering, but I didn't want to be the one to ask...

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've started a blog for my Meikyuu Kingdom translation. It's partially to help keep me working on it, and part to let you guys know where I am in the translation effort.

Though, this is me going at it alone, so expect quite slow progress.

meikyu-kingdom-tl.blogspot.com

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Potsticker posted:

Much luck on the Meikyuu translation! Added you to my RSS reader so I don't miss an update.

Cool! Thanks!
I hope to get around to posting some about Dungeon Making within the next few days.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Woo! Super excited for this.

This should also distract from the fact that Guild Wars 2 had delayed my Meikyuu TL significantly...

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Sooo Sentai is definitely possible then?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

That's probably what I'll end up doing once I TL them, at least for a personal copy.

e: Also those are the old cards that I have, I have a feeling the new cards are better quality cardstock, since they seem to come in a box.

e2: VVV They only seem to have the core books, and Days. Throw these into the search bar and it'll take you straight to them. The cards and Train book seem to be out of stock/print :(
迷宮キングダム (新・迷宮ブック)
迷宮キングダム (新・王国ブック)
迷宮キングダム・サプリメント 大殺階域
シニカルポップ・ダンジョンシアター 迷宮デイズ

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 21, 2012

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Cool? I wouldn't have a project anymore, but whatever, I guess.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

aldantefax posted:

You could translate Giant Allege...

That is absolutely never going to happen.
No reason for me to waste my money on more Japanese game books.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Ewen Cluney posted:

Well, Giant Allege is available as a PDF for 945 yen, though it is one of the games we're eyeing for release through SLP. I just need to find time to sit down and read it to decide if it's something we really want.

If it's actually good it'll just get grabbed by someone else after I've put hours into it, so, from how I see it, it's not even worth it to start this (or any new project, really).

e: Not the mention the $160 or so I threw at all the Meikyuu poo poo.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 21, 2012

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Ok. Sorry if I over reacted too (I'm hungry and I have a very short fuse when I'm hungry). I've tried getting in contact with BitchtitsMcGee, and have not been successful thus far (for reasons mostly due to never being online at the same time), and that's why I'm doing it on my own, but I was definitely planning on trying to release it commercially if/when I actually finish it, especially after all the time and money I've already put into what I've done so far.

e: If other things happen I would like to try to be involved somehow so my efforts haven't been completely to waste.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

You could probably post it here or in the language thread and get your question answered.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Dear You posted:

I'm a bit confused. How does d66 even work? Rolling 2d6 as percentiles doesn't give a full range of results, so I'm assuming advancement and the like are handled very differently from stuff like BRP yeah?

The lower number goes first. You only have 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 33, 34, 35, 36, 44, 45, 46, 55, 56, 66.

Here is more detail I wrote about that.
http://meikyu-kingdom-tl.blogspot.com/2012/09/about-d66.html

In Meikyuu news, I will make an update soonish about the current state of the project and my role in its translation.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Ewen Cluney posted:

As far as I can tell there's "Adventure Planning Service Style D66" and there's "Everyone Else Style D66." FEAR routinely includes D66 tables for character background stuff, but they usually say "D66 ROC," for "Roll Or Choice."

Normally D66 is a tens-and-ones roll on 2d6 that gives you one of 36 results (a mechanic I personally first saw in Toon), and it's pretty much only used for getting a result from a table of possible things rather than for the actual numbers per se (though IIRC Witch Quest had something like that in its many weird rules).

I did not know this. This is good to know and I will make note of this.

aldantefax posted:

For the time being, mikeycp and BitchtitsMcGee appear to be actually working together on this...

Yup! And now that baseball is in the off-season I will have more time to do things, like translation. and sleep. and being generally productive.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I think about working on it sometimes, then I remember that I should be using that time to find me a job instead. :shrug:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

If you are in Tokyo you should go to Role and Roll too. It's a cool spot.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

Sure!

Where is it?

All I know about them is that they apparently printed some loving radical replays of Shadowrun that were basically Anime Shadowrun Charlie's Angels.

There are directions and a map somewhere on this page.
http://www.arclight.co.jp/r_r_s/aki/shop/

It's a bit of a hole in the wall, so it's not the easiest place to spot.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

cadenza posted:

Hello thread. I'm going to be in Tokyo next week and am super excited about checking out this Yellow Submarine store! I wondered if anyone has any other recommendations for me while I'm there. I should be spending some time in Kansai while I'm in Japan as well, so if people know any places in Osaka/Kobe/Kyoto then I'll check those out too!

There are Yellow submarines in Kyoto and Osaka as well. The top floor of the Osaka one had a lot of good stuff from what I remember.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Is it just me, or is all of the power combination stuff in Double Cross not clearly explained in any one place? I've been going through the book for like 40 minutes and I still can't make heads or tails of it.

I really want to like this game. So much of the setting is really cool, but there also seem to be a bunch of kinda lovely or underexplained systems that make me want to just import the cool stuff into Fate.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's on page 300/301. The only real limitation is that the powers involved in the combo have to have the same Timing and Skill (but if the power was - as a skill, that power can combine with everything).

It didn't seem like 300/301 explained everything. I didn't see any explanation for the bottom bar of the combo bar, like how many dice you use. Also for whatever below and over 100% means.

e: Though it could be that I'm just thick. Either way I think it's way too crunchy of a game for me.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 4, 2014

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

How does it factor into the numbers you're supposed to fill in? Mainly dice and attack power.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Yeah I use the index. It is definitely good, but I was having trouble piecing the information together once I got to the page one part of it was on.

Nobody else in my group could figure combos out either. I'm half tempted to drop the mechanic completely (and probably this entire system once we finish our current scenario).

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

TheDemon posted:

Combos look hard until they click, then they're dead easy.

The easiest way to think of combos is you're adding extra powers to a skill roll from a power. Pick a power that has a skill roll attached. The skill used, difficulty, etc is all set by that. A lot of combos won't have difficulty (maybe it's rolling against something the GM sets, or it's opposed, etc, see page 301) or attack power (not an attack) or targets or what have you, because the skill that you're using doesn't involve any of that. Then you add in the extra powers, which modify the dicepool, give bonuses, allow additional targets, allow new uses for that roll, etc, and of course increase the encroachment cost.

When everything is assembled and restricted according to the rules on 300/301, then you pay the entire encroach cost and roll once using that skill.

Ok, so then as an example: Comboing Light Bow[LV1]+Light of Destruction[LV1]. (Pg100) My <RC> and <Melee> skills are also LV1. Mind and Body are 3. Using a Knife, so <Melee> and ATK 2.

Under 100% - Timing:Major; Skill:RC; Diff:Opposed; Target:Area(select); RNG:View; Encroach: 3; Dice:?; Crit:10; Atk:6

Over 100% - Timing:Major; Skill:RC; Diff:Opposed; Target:Area(select); RNG:View; Encroach: 3; Dice:?; Crit:10; Atk:8

---

Is this at all right? I'm still not sure how to calculate the dice, and how if at all the encroachment dice bonus factors in.

e: I didn't see your edit before I posted this.
e2: I guess dice for both is 3?
e3: Also, you're saying that I could combine an <RC> with a '-' or <Syndrome>? Or <RC>+<RC> and <Syndrome>+<Syndrome>?

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

OH OK. I think I understand now. So, one last example to make completely sure I get it.

Thor's Hammer(1) + Lightning Spear(1) + Lightning Attack(2)
<RC> and [Mind] are 1 and 3 like before.

Timing:Major; Skill:RC; Diff:Opposed; Target:Area(select); RNG:View; Encroach:7; Dice:2(+1); Crit:10; Atk:+16(Lightning Attack: 4; Thor's Hammer: 6; Lightning Spear: 6); Note: 1 use/Scenario. -1 die due to Spear (already factored in)

• Locked thread