Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Hey Ewen, last I checked Alshard was the big hitter o're in Japan as far as popularity goes. Is it still the big dog or have others come up on the sides?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Interrupting Ewen momentarily, this was linked on badwrongfun and applies here, I should think!

Why every group should play Maid RPG once

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Ewen Cluney posted:

These days every F.E.A.R. game has the "Movement and Engagement" rules with the same little diagram (see below). 13th Age actually has something pretty similar, but the basic idea is that in battle you can be in or out of an Engagement. You have to be in one with someone to do a melee attack against them, but to get out of an Engagement when there's a hostile there you have use a Major Action to use the Escape action. Furthermore, if you're in a closed space you'll have to make an opposed Luck check and not have any enemies beat you in order to successfully Escape. They recommend using colored board game pawns or some such to keep track of characters, putting them in and out of groups to show Engagements.

How into depth does this go? Does it cover stuff like environmental hazards or ongoing area effect (are those even a thing? Them not existing could answer that.)

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Which is the RPG someone mentioned in FATAL and Friends ages ago that has cyborg motorcycle knights and its set in some insane-o version of Britain with King Arthur myths an junk?

You're thinking of Alshard, and I think I mentioned it, but it's not King Arthur myths, it just has the flying airbase Avalon.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

InfiniteJesters posted:

I'm just sticking with the PDF versions because I'm trying not to clog my meager pair of bookshelves. :U

Yeah, I'm in Korea right now which doesn't make for very fun shipping, so I'm sticking to pdf.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Mikan posted:

Yes. In Meikyuu Kingdom you can bring your loyal subjects along with you in dungeon crawls and use them to fight enemies/set off traps/explore rooms/meet an untimely end :smith:

I'm sorry, having redshirts be an actual player resource is ingenious and I'll hear nothing else of it.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
It was a moving gift from Gorbash! I dunno where he got it.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Man how come I find out all you fuckers are from the Bay after I move out of SF?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

mikeycp posted:

You knew I was and you still didn't see me very often. :colbert:

You were three hours and $50 away.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I have the excuse in having met Ewen a few times and both Mike and I sharing a mutual friend with him.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

shoplifter posted:

Does anywhere in San Francisco proper carry TRPGs? I'm here for Dreamforce and popped into Kinokuniya last night to find they had gently caress all.

In my experience SF is great for all sorts of card games, but trying to get actual tabletop games means going to Berkeley or Oakland.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
International shipping is a clusterfuck regardless of what countries are involved, basically.

Which is one reason I just stick purely to pdfs.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Desty posted:

It's Christmas in Christmastime! The Ryuutama rough cut is out for backers!

It's too bad Ryuutama is impossible for non-US residents (and, frankly, like, 9/10 US residents) who missed the kickstarter because of Paypal :(

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I'm going to go to Yellow Submarine tomorrow, which is, as I understand it, the place to buy Japanese Elfgames.

What games that I cannot read - NOR WILL I EVER BE ABLE TO READ - should I buy, to...christ, support people? Enjoy the artwork? I don't even know. I'm here. I wanna buy something.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

mikeycp posted:

If you are in Tokyo you should go to Role and Roll too. It's a cool spot.

Sure!

Where is it?

All I know about them is that they apparently printed some loving radical replays of Shadowrun that were basically Anime Shadowrun Charlie's Angels.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I just bought SO MANY GAMES THAT I CAN'T READ

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
So! I hit up Yellow Submarine (after going to the wrong Yellow Submarine twice) and Role and Roll.

Incidentally, of the two, I found Yellow Submarine to be bigger and have far more jTTGs. R&R had a lot more D&D stuff, and I think had some kinda official WotC thing going on. Yellow Submarine had a full section of old western stuff, like AD&D and first gen GURPS old. I enjoyed Yellow Submarine more, but then again, it was just plain bigger, so it had more to go through.

I can totally agree with the OP - there IS a sort of weird Galapagos thing going on. There was all of one single D20 supplement in both stores outside the actual D&D stuff. No Pathfinder that I could see. Call of Cthulhu seems more popular then D&D, excuse the obvious jokes, and both stores had a two or three Shadowrun books (SR4; I don't think SR5 has even been translated yet).

FEAR looked like the dominant system; lots of games appear to use it.

However the big winner of the west is Games Workshop. They had a fairly good chunk of Yellow Submarine's RPG section, were very prolific in the minis/figures Yellow Submarine store I went to on accident, and even some game books in Role and Roll. You can never escape the Space Marines, it would seem.

Overall RPGs seem to really pale in comparison to cards over here, at least from my (very) brief viewing. There's a LOT of anime card games - even a Touhou one - and I have no idea what any of their rules are, but a lot of them made me feel very shameful just to look at the pictures. God dammit Japan.

SO. The overall score. All but the two Meikyuus were from Yellow Submarine; a lot of these were used and/or on sale.

- Sword World 2.0 booklet. I don't think they even have the full book in print anymore; now it's just a rather small rulebook. This was super cheap so, even though it is indeed mostly words, I grabbed it.
- Some kinda Touhou game? Flipping though, it seemed to be all about Cirno. gently caress you. Don't judge me. gently caress you. gently caress you.
- Barna Kronika. One of the more expensive ones; couldn't find it used.
- Arianrhod. Used, dirt cheap.
- Double Cross second edition. Used, fairly cheap. I know it's on 3rd edition now...but it was also signed by the maker, so hey, why not.
- Alshard. Used, way cheap. I saw Alshard FF in Role and Roll, but...uh...well, to be honest, forgot to buy it. I'll probably get it later.
- Night Wizard! The exclamtion point is part of the name, I think. Used, very cheap. Of all the used books, this one shows actual wear and tear, but it's not like I'll be actually using it.
- Night Wizard! 2nd Edition. I think? I'm not sure what the first book actually is but it was like $5. Anyways, this one is a loving tome. On sale; STILL expensive.
- Meikyuu Kingdom! Two books. I have no idea what the are. They're both different and they have lots of pictures, at any rate. Neither on sale, neither SUPER expensive alone.

Overall cost: ~$100-$110

COULD NOT FIND: Endbreakers. Neither store was carrying it; I'm not sure if it's out of stock or out of print.
OTHER THEN THAT: The only Beast Bind I saw was I think a supplement and also like 40 bucks so nope. I completely forgot about Monster Maker Legend.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I mean, I cannot read Japanese, so a fair amount of this is just for the novelty of it.

I'm being cajoled to get Tokyo Nova (I saw a lot of it, seems fairly popular), and I might look for Monster Maker Legends, if I do go back.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I THINK it was Phantom. I fidn't look hard because all the other anime games I've seen have had really creepy artwork.

Also, sadly, I A) don't know what thread you mean and B) will not have a scanner gor a long while, probably.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Ewen Cluney posted:

I'll have to find time to read it (it's a pretty thin book), but I don't remember seeing any hint of actual Cthulhu stuff. It's surprising just how well-known Call of Cthulhu is with Japanese fans; I've seen the notion of SAN points even pop up in anime from time to time.

I saw a TON of CoC in both Yellow Submarine and Roll&Role. It was probably the most prominent western RPG in both outside of D&D - and if you don't count all the much older stuff in Yellow Submarine, might've even outnumbered D&D there.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I think Double Cross has a pretty solid and fun combat system, though it's subject to a high degree of system mastery. Honestly I think that it's mostly that a vast majority of RPGs have lousy systems anywhere you are. Though I have to wonder, given how Japanese marketing often works, how much playtesting JTRPGs go through.

Yeah. I mean, at the end of the day, "most games are mechanically kinda crap and ill playtested" describes this hobby kinda regardless of what country you're in.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Postin' this in two threads as it's connected to two things! Apparently D&D Next is ENGLISH ONLY NO FOREIGNER ALLOWED. This is a (somewhat rough) translation of an official release of the company that usually gets licensing for WotC's materials in Japan.

quote:

AN IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT "D&D NEXT"
Thank you very much for your continued patronage of Dungeons & Dragons (D&D).

Since January of 2013, we have been engaging in promotional activities, primarily through "Table Game Channel", on the assumption of making the transtion from D&D 4th Edition to D&D Next. However, Wizards of the Coast, the publisher of D&D, has decided to sell only English versions of D&D Next, and has not put out a license for translations. This applies not only to Japan, but all non-English language regions.
As a result, we cannot release a Japanese version of D&D Next.
We deeply apologize that we can meet the expectations of everyone who was looking forward to a Japanese version of D&D Next.

As a company, we will wait for an opportunity to do the translation, taking in account the possiblity that Wizards of the Coast may change their policy, but we must announce here that for the time being, there is no plan to publish Japanese versions of D&D Next merchandise.

From the bottom of our hearts, we thank everyone who has supported the Japanese versions of D&D over the 10 years since the Japanese release of D&D 3rd Edition.

Eiji Nakabayashi
Game Development Department
Hobby Japan, Inc.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
And then there're kongohki.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Covok posted:

Are they broken ridiculous good?

They gain pretty substantial benefits for treading the knife's edge in karma, and can use Overdrive to reroll and increase their number of successes. They are legitimately combat monsters that can destroy almost any enemy, except maybe literally invincible spirits. They are balanced by being "stunned" whenever they receive aiki...which means the only way to stop them is to feed them more power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Thats awesome, but what won gold?

Also whats with the superimposed dude in the left corner?

Knowing the ENnies, probably something not nearly as good!

• Locked thread