Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Yesssssss I've been waiting for this thread :neckbeard:

I've been interested in Ryutama for a while, as it sounds like it would be great for one shots or laid back episodic gaming with a lot of in-party roleplaying. The lesser emphasis on combat and hard tactical crunch would leave a a lot of room for things to be, you know, fantasy-like too.

Anybody who knows more feel free to taunt me with how awesome it is and how I'm never going to play it. Or tell me how wrong I am and how amazing it still is in entirely different ways, that is cool too.

Pretty please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Ewen Cluney posted:

Giant Allege: A 28-page GM-less mini-RPG sold as a PDF (PDF games are exceedingly rare in Japan, and this is the ONLY GM-less Japanese RPG I've ever heard of) where you play lawyers who have giant robot battles on behalf of their clients.

:wtc: I... I must learn more about this. If the style is anything like Phoenix Wright or Super Robot Wars then I might be in love.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Randalor posted:

Has anyone heard anything about the Shin Megami Tensei tabletop RPG line? My friend was mentioning to me that he stumbled across scans of it awhile back, but the site he found them on was shut down, and we were wondering if it was any good/how it played.

From what I've heard it is the game mechanics transcribed to paper. Think of a GameFAQs document detailing with tables the process of Demon Negotiation and you have a good idea of how it goes in a general sense.

I cannot confirm or deny this, but it goes well with what Ewen caught wind of himself.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Traveller posted:

So what about them Shin Megami Tensei games, huh?

All I know is that a game where Hee-Ho is an alignment is something I need to read.

What the hell how does that even work :psyduck:, would you play a knight of the court of King Frost? Would you be leading the armies of Lucifrost against the other alignments? I'm afraid of thinking about this any further and being disappointed later on when it turns out to be a joke alignment choice.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Everything people keep saying about TBZ makes it sound like it would be my favorite RPG ever, so there goes the rest of my nerdy budget this month.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It was about time someone stepped up to the plate, I had been thinking if TBZ would have been a viable starting point. Looks like it is!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm going to have to set aside a weekend or two to read this over, there is a lot of content. I'm surprised at how good it looks for a preview pdf with a disclaimer that it does not look good too.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

MadRhetoric posted:

Oh man, this game. I'm not sure how I feel about variable "hit" TNs in a dice pool system but gently caress me the general system seems fun as hell.

It sounds like the elements build up to be one hell of an experience, even if some of the mechanical bits are iffy.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Tyndolionel posted:

2) A character's Kiai can be used both for one-time success-chance-boosting, as well as character advancement and consumables.

This was a big problem I've heard brought up about the 7th Sea system, among others, where you never want to use your "do awesome stuff" resource, because you'd lose out on chances to advance your character's abilities. It may not be a problem in TBZ, but I guess we'll see? People in Japan must have been playing this for years already, it'd be nice if anyone knew what they say about the system. Factors that may alleviate the problem might be that spending Kiai to boost rolls seems so important, and Kiai is supposed to flow so readily, that it might actually be better to use it on rolls than to advance your character, especially since the game is explicitly not intended for long campaigns, and your characters start out pretty awesome anyway.

It is also a pretty easy thing to houserule out, even if it is annoying to have to do so, so if it turns out to be a problem it won't be one for more than one session or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

"I'll just run it with FATE." is kind of the common conclusion people come to when a system has a lot of really nice ideas but no depth to its mechanics. Might as well go with the simpler system that doesn't pretend to have (much) depth in the first place.

It is kind of why I don't think this trend of simpler, drama-based games will last for much longer. But I suppose that's not a discussion for this thread.

• Locked thread