Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
drat you all for this thread. I'm about to buy a ton of poo poo from Amazon.jp (shipping it via Tenso more than likely)

It's going to take me for-loving-ever to read it all because my Japanese is garbage these days. I expect that by the time I get through two of them it'll be much better. Maybe I'll take some translation notes while reading.

So far the list:

Meikyuu Kingdom
Arianrhod books 1 & 2
Sword World v2 books 1 & 2

Considering

Double Cross
Shinobigami
Nechronica

It looks like the additional book expansions are primarily new classes/levels, while the Senior books are generally additional rules options?

Giant Allege is available HERE in PDF. I'm buying a copy assuming I can get my payment to go through. Payment went through, no problem. You get a week to download the product, so don't forget to back it up!

shoplifter fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Thanks - I was entirely likely to pick up all of it. I'm torn on Nechronica though, the pricetag is scaring me away. I did get to the shipping on Amazon and it looked (like you said) to be a tossup between them and Tenso. That said, if I'm spending between 4500¥ and 6000¥ on shipping as it is, I'll just get it from Amazon and avoid the reshipping while getting it a week or two earlier.

I'm pretty sure (?) I remember badgering you about Tenra at Origins a few years back, so I'm glad it's finally going to see the light of day.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Go figure, Amazon.jp won't ship Meikyuu Kingdom to the US.

\/\/\/ Yeah, I have a cart full of stuff that I was just going to ship via Amazon. Guess I'll skip Meikyuu because I don't feel like spending 6000¥ and still waiting 3+ weeks for one book when I could have everything else by the end of the week and spend the same amount. I've used Tenso in the past to get some J-League stuff shipped, and it was pretty painless but it did take a while. I'll probably end up trying to see if the local store can special order it.

shoplifter fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 11, 2012

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Welp, there goes :10bux: x 20. At least I have reading material for the next two years.

Ended up buying:

Shinobigami
Shinobigami Hades Trial

Sword World v2 books 1-3

Double Cross 3rd, books 1, 2, Moonless Night

Arianrhod books 1-2

I'm now broke.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Mad Fnorder posted:

I still really want to hear about Giant Allege. I like to think that the legal profession can only be enhanced in dignity and stature by giant robot battles.

Ewen and/or Andy will probably get through it long before I will, but if I can slog through a bit I'll post my thoughts.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Yep, that's all you need unless you want some setting books or the "senior" rules. That said, you're getting raped on shipping, ou may as well buy a few more books as the shipping should onl go up by 300¥ per additional book you add.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

jadarx posted:

What do the senior rules add? Just more of the stuff I'd get in the core books or completely new stuff?

Google translated, since I'm lazy:

quote:

Product Description
Senior rule book appeared in the "Arianroddo RPG 2E" as early as. Senior class has been added, expanding the width of the growth! Square is also introduced rules combat, tactical combat more became possible! Adventure will be hot this further in a book!
Content ("BOOK" from the database)
This document is a senior rule book dealing with the additional rules and data of "Arianroddo RPG 2E" primarily. I listed are character-level data that corresponds to 10 to 20 levels - class, skills, items, enemy, such as trap it. Also posted additional rules and guidance. Would help the game play more enjoyable.

So looks like some tactical grid map based combat rules, level 10-20 rules, plus expansions of classes, skills, monsters, etc. It's roughly 3000¥, so it's up to you if it's worth it. I buy tons of games that I never end up playing, but for a game that I have to do this much work to even consider playing, I'd rather have a couple more different games.

There are 'senior' rulebooks for quite a few games out there.

\/\/\/ totally fair, and accurate. I had considered using that term as well, and it really just makes sense given the subject matter.

shoplifter fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 14, 2012

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Hoooly poo poo. My books are out for delivery already. :psyduck:

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Just started slogging through Arianrhod at lunch. I'm shocked (but not surprised) at how bad my kanji skills are after such a long layoff of study. Good news is that by the time I'm done with the book, I'll probably be better than I was during 4th year Japanese 10 years ago.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Tenra kickstarter is up, I'm in for $108/

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/diamondsutra/tenra-bansho-zero-an-art-and-culture-rich-rpg-from

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

GSS was supposed to start either not long after Tenra's started/finished. I can't remember which.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

DiamondSutra posted:

But it's eventual pre-sales (possibly a kickstarter; currently the plan is PDF only, but we might do a limited kickstarter for print copies) will happen towards the end of this year or the beginning of the next, once Tenra is settled.

Seriously, do this.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Does anywhere in San Francisco proper carry TRPGs? I'm here for Dreamforce and popped into Kinokuniya last night to find they had gently caress all.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

It's almost halfway after two hours. Hope you have more stretch goals planned Ewen!

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Maleketh posted:

I got my TBZ books today. Maybe it's just the seven years of waiting, but they are so very beautiful.

Same here. They're gorgeous.

akasnowmaaan posted:

So, there's a Kickstarter for the translation of Yuuyake Koyake. Already over the top.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nekoewen/golden-sky-stories-heartwarming-role-playing

I emailed with Andy Kitkowski, the translator for Ryuutama that used to supply English translations with purchase of the full game, but he stopped doing that. He did say, though, that he'd do a Kickstarter for that too sometime this year.

So, things are looking up for the non-violent, gentle JRPGs coming to English-speaking countries this year.

You know that both Andy and Ewen have been regular posters in this thread, right?

shoplifter fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 14, 2013

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Yeah, I've known about it for at least a month. Don't know why I never posted about it though. My copy shipped yesterday, so I'm pretty excited to see it in English finally. I saw a lot of complaints about lack of PDF on the RPG.net thread too, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ver. Blue wasn't able to get them to sign off on an electronic version of the game, given the relative lack of TRPGs with PDF editions.

edit: yep, here's what Andy posted on RPG.net a few minutes ago:

DiamondSutra posted:

I'm not the publisher, but indeed the "no PDF" was not their choice. It's unfortunate. I hope that someone shows the company (not FEAR, mind) responsible for that attitude a translated version of this thread, so that they understand that this is the 21st century:
- Shipping is outrageous
- Many savvy players already own tablets and make heavy use of them
- Between PDF gaming and "saving shipping money by printing at a local PoD printer", this is the age of PDFs, and any company that thinks otherwise is backwards.
Unfortunately, both Ver Blue (the operation of KH Shu, who is a great, stand-up no-nonsense guy) and FEAR are both bound on this matter. But again, hoping that in time that stance softens, because between the next three planned releases from Kotodama, plus Star Line (Ewen) and others, we hope to show those rigid publishers in Japan that their archaic stances cost them Profit, Marketability, and Awareness. We hope that we'll assist in crushing that dam.

shoplifter fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 21, 2013

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

It works out to $1 cheaper after shipping if you buy it direct, which is probably to account for amazon's listing fees.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

AndyK just sent out the Ryuutama surveys, check your emails.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

On the subject of Double Cross, Ver Blue is apparently taking a long sabbatical from further work due to health concerns.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Did Amazon.jp reduce their international shipping prices? I just ordered that for $21 shipped to the U.S.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Gonna concur with this. I got the hardcover and it's really quite gorgeous. Andy K sure outdid himself this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Shinobigami Kickstarter is up and running

• Locked thread