Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!
For a thread that's pretty much right up my alley, I don't have much to say. Thank you for some insightful reading, though!

Really looking forward to GSS. Don't really get why folks are going bonkers for Meikyuu all that much. Ah well.

DiamondSutra posted:

Re Touhou Flowers: Yeah, the designer realized his math was bad, there was a lot of corrections/errata for that one. Nice guy tho, and the layout/design of the thing was goddamned gorgeous.
I can, however, sympathize on the Touhou bad math front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

CommissarMega posted:

:stare:

:argh:

I demand a new Touhou RPG in penance for your blasphemous statements!

It's in the works! Honest! For a long while I'd suffered from bouts of apathy and lack of inspiration, only adding to it little bits at a time, but after working on Advanced Second & Fourth Basic Immortalth Edition, I feel a strong desire to resume work on Tale of Phantasmal Land.

DiamondSutra posted:

Also: Thanks for the support and interest in J-RPGs in general. Currently, I can count all the folks who translated J-RPGs on one hand; it's that unique combo of "love RPGs enough to do it; have the Japanese level to be able to do it; and not enough craziness in personal lives to get us to stop doing it". Hopefully as Japanese becomes more popular a language of study, we'll see more folks throw their hat in the ring for translations both "official" and very unofficial (like the SW2.0 Wiki stuff that's going on on the Interwebsnets).

Unfortunately, most furriners with the skills to translate Japanese are already doing so as their main line of work (to that point; Ewen is too) either in a company or freelance; and the money involved with translation (up to 20 cents per word average) vs RPG Writing (up to 1-2 cents per word average) just makes it so that there's a lot of "why bother" in the industry: Why would an established company go and get the rights to a FEAR game, then hire a bunch of prima donnas (we are!) to translate it at 20 cents a word, when they can be inspired by the art and make an English analogue for only 1-2 cents a word? etc.

Kickstarter might change that game.

The state of RPG writing is really quite tragic, yeah. Definitely a for-the-love-of-the-game sort of thing. My translation speed is also a snail's pace sort of thing, and I've found my time is better spent either a) making my own stuff, or b) assembling the stuff written by other people into visually appealing layouts.

InfiniteJesters posted:

Oh hey uh, on that note, anything I can do to help with the new version, Bahamut? :haw:
Right now there isn't too much anyone else can do, unfortunately. I'm still a ways off from assembling a new fancy pdf, but I'll definitely be interested in feedback when I slap together a bare-bones/playtest-ish one. My biggest concern is actually art assets for when it comes time to do a new fancy pdf, but I've got a helluva lot of writing still to do first.

Ewen Cluney posted:

So, one of the weirder things with GSS/YK is this:

They did a doujinshi that's a Touhou supplement. You would have to already know Touhou pretty well to really use it, but it has writeups for fairies and shrine maidens as new character types, and guidelines for mashing up existing character types to make pretty much everything else, and writeups of basically all of the Touhou characters. The bulk of the book is two replays, one where the PCs help Cirno say a proper goodbye to Letty Whiterock as the spring comes, and one where they have to try to get Kaguya to stop being a NEET. Where Flowers has a whole battle system and stuff, this book is mainly for honobono/heartwarming stories using Touhou characters. I hate to tease, but I don't know whether we could do an English version.

When I'd first read up on GSS I'd thought about how it sounded like it would work for something like Touhou, so I'm glad to see that someone gave it a go!

SirPhoebos posted:

Would adding the goon-made Touhou RPG to the main thread be appropriate, even if it wasn't necessrily made in Japan? (Unless Bahamut is from Japan, of course)

The earliest version was terrible, and the second version was mathematically unsound because I made a huge change before making the pdf without thinking things all the way through. The next version will be post worthy though, I'm certain.

I'm from Canada, which is one of the reasons why I'd adopted Momiji Inubashiri as the game's patron Touhou.

I have also given some thought to trying to sell Treasure Hunters (another game with slight anime influences which I'd conjured up for last month's TradGames design contest) in an effort to raise money to pay for proper art assets in the next version of Tale of Phantasmal Land.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

InfiniteJesters posted:

A) Pay DrSunshine in beer to do the work
You have no idea how strongly I have considered this.

Except, then I need to sell Treasure Hunters, so I have money to buy beer for the good Doctor. All my regular money goes to buy beer for me, which I feel is a requisite for writing Touhou things.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

As Desty has pointed out, a key component for aping Japanese RPGs is heavy (if not actually exclusive) use of d6es for all rolls. I think a lot of the reason for charts in them is because of rampant d66 stuff.

Tale of Phantasmal Land only uses d6es for this reason.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Congrats on the amazingly swift funding, Ewen!

Sadly, I can't quite do the Kickstarter thing on account of a horrid credit history forged in my youth that haunts me to this day, but if you'd like I could shoot you $50ish or so via Paypal. Getting stuff would be spiffy, but if problematic, really I'd just like to help out a good cause if I could.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

CommissarMega posted:

Okay Ewen, I've seen the newest update, and I have to say that while I applaud your capitalistic spirit, ponies? Faerie Skies sounds freakin' awesome though, and it's the one I'm personally hoping the most for; how much work do you think it'd be to port either that or Fantasy Friends into Touhou?

Fairy Skies would be my vote, but then again I am a sucker for British Isles folklore and Anglo-saxon myth.

As for the other thing, not that I am versed in the matter in any way, but I'm not sure GSS would completely work for Touhou. Great for bloom-watching and having teas and parties, or Human Village hijinx, but probably a little less so when it came time to unleash spell cards because the denizens of the mirror world wanted to keep sucking people into the mirror world whereas you would rather prefer that they stopped doing this.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

You've done a good job, Desty. We've got at least a thousand pages of posts to make before you're off the hook.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

I must admit I'm kind of curious about Cirno RPG. Clearly, just focusing on one character was the way to go. Trying to accommodate them all just really, really gums up the works.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

InfiniteJesters posted:

Oh, you have NO idea. I dunno if you remember me or the time I asked for your permission/blessing to make a modification/fixup of Tales of Phantasmal Land, but me and the friends working on it have considered dividing the GM materials into the playbook (with mechanics and chargen) and GM info (stat sheets for all---and we mean ALL---of the characters).

I'm pretty sure this experience is what the personal Hell of GMs everywhere is like. :v:

I remember, yep! Honestly, if I'd have had my way, I'd have never statted out anyone unless I'd written an adventure that called for them to appear, in which case I could have statted them appropriately for that adventure. As opposed to giving everyone stats for stats sake, and then forcing people to try and tailor their adventures to accommodate the stats of the canon cast. I just got so drat many emails from people wanting canon character stats, that I cobbled some together, and in the end no one was pleased. As much as I'd love to encourage people to create characters/stats as required, it seems people just have a burning need to have statistics and things expressly defined.

Aside from an initial burst of productivity on the next version of Tale of Phantasmal Land, I haven't made too much progress since. Little bits here and there since. Largely because of Treasure Hunters, but ironically Treasure Hunters was originally just a way to test the new Spell Card resolution system I'd devised for Tale.

It's not the personal hell of GMs, so much as it is the personal hell of the design-inclined, I think. The designing and revising never seems to end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

InfiniteJesters posted:

Hey Bahamut, I don't know if you still post around here, but if you do your website for Tales of Phantasmal Land seems to be inoperative, just so you know.

Thanks to storms and flooding, my home internet connection was wiped out earlier in the year. Since then I've been relying on my phone and consequently I haven't been as attentive as I should/would otherwise be. Hence this really late-coming reply!

Due to a conflict between my host and his provider, I wound up losing my spiffy webspace. For now, I've gone and dumped Tale of Phantasmal Land on Dropbox for any still-interested parties. I swear I'll get back to work on the long, long overdue (and vastly superior) next ToPL version as soon as I finish up my work on Endless Adventures.

• Locked thread