Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Podunkian
Feb 28, 2005

welcome to murder city, i'm the mayor

jimbomcb posted:

And do you think an indicator to show when you're invisible is needed? If you're crouching or diving and staying still, you're invisible.

This isn't really such a bad idea -- especially if you're going to be doing passive invisibility, which were a really big part of both Snake vs. Monkey and Battle Royale game modes in the original mod (and a big reason why, I think, those modes feel a little bit more deliberate in HL2JKS).

I had a playtest session with the other devs on the team the night before the V3 release and I really had a lot of fun (so much more so than the last beta I'd checked out) -- you guys have got a lot of things right, hopefully with further revision, you guys can nail what is that made BR and SVM modes feel like unique gameplay experiences, since I feel, at this admittedly early stage, they still feel a little too deathmatchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I didn't literally mean quit work on everything else. I came in and posted that after having a great time with SvT and I was pretty stoked on it. I did say maybe having an indicator for when Snake is invisible and you basically wrote that off by saying I should duck and know that means I am invisible. I understand it's a work in progress, so far so good.

jimbomcb
Oct 4, 2011

ultimateforce posted:

I didn't literally mean quit work on everything else. I came in and posted that after having a great time with SvT and I was pretty stoked on it. I did say maybe having an indicator for when Snake is invisible and you basically wrote that off by saying I should duck and know that means I am invisible. I understand it's a work in progress, so far so good.

I didn't mean to write off the indicator, it's something we've been throwing about internally for a while now but we've not settled on any definitive yes or no about adding it or not, apologies if I gave that impression. I've been thinking it wasn't needed as much as to me I was used to it after testing it for so long but it's understandable that people who haven't been working on it for however many months might not be sure. I'll see what we can do. Apologies if I was coming off as defensive.

Mr. Podunkian posted:

This isn't really such a bad idea -- especially if you're going to be doing passive invisibility, which were a really big part of both Snake vs. Monkey and Battle Royale game modes in the original mod (and a big reason why, I think, those modes feel a little bit more deliberate in HL2JKS).

I had a playtest session with the other devs on the team the night before the V3 release and I really had a lot of fun (so much more so than the last beta I'd checked out) -- you guys have got a lot of things right, hopefully with further revision, you guys can nail what is that made BR and SVM modes feel like unique gameplay experiences, since I feel, at this admittedly early stage, they still feel a little too deathmatchy.

I'd agree that certain parts feel too deathmatchy, have been going over a bunch of suggestions/advice that came up from your chats with postal and agree with many things. SvT is pretty much our main focus and we want to get that as good as we can (we have plans and it's certainly not where we want it to be yet) while also having things like BR/GG etc as an alternative for people who want more explosions or chaos or something.

jimbomcb fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 27, 2012

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Is it possible in the Source engine (based on your abilities) to make the Terrorist team automatically sound off the 'all clear' or 'spotted' stuff? I think making the Terrorists noisy loudmouths would improve the situations were Snake is hiding waiting for the Terrorist to give away their position if they are camping.

jimbomcb
Oct 4, 2011

ultimateforce posted:

Is it possible in the Source engine (based on your abilities) to make the Terrorist team automatically sound off the 'all clear' or 'spotted' stuff? I think making the Terrorists noisy loudmouths would improve the situations were Snake is hiding waiting for the Terrorist to give away their position if they are camping.

Yeah, it's possible. We're still conflicted about what to do with the radios...

I know postal prefers the radio menu, having a choice for what line to say. I'm leaning more towards as much automatic stuff as possible, partially to avoid spamming and partially to add some atmosphere that I don't think is that as easily obtained with manual voice lines. Some of the automatic voice lines are already in game which play depending on situations, for example:

If a snake captures the frog and there's terrorists running about, they will shout about how stupid they are, helping to give away their position for snake to freely kill them.

If a terrorist is reloading straight after being damaged by snake, he shouts about how it's a bad time to reload.

The terrorist says a line about the tripmines if snake is killed by it.

A compromise I was considering was a context sensitive radio key, it would automatically adjust depending on what you were looking at. IE, enemy sighted if you were looking at snake, some line about finding a dead terrorist if you used it on him etc. We're still pretty open on the whole voice system in SvT so we're open to input on pretty much all of it.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I just remembered that basically the way the voice works in the L4D series would be exactly what I'd do if I had the ability. That being said I have no idea how that works so I am just 'the idea guy' right now coming up with all kinda of pie-in-the-sky dreams.

"Can you please made your mod work like a AAA game worked on by the best in the industry please?"

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 60 minutes!
Buglord
Well I can easily say gun game is my favorite game type so far. Funny to see how creative people have been getting when all they have is a drilldo and trip mines. Although whats the range on the Dubstep gun? Feels somewhere between knifing distance and close range..like say Pyro flamethrower range, if you guys have played TF2 lately.

jimbomcb
Oct 4, 2011

ultimateforce posted:

I just remembered that basically the way the voice works in the L4D series would be exactly what I'd do if I had the ability. That being said I have no idea how that works so I am just 'the idea guy' right now coming up with all kinda of pie-in-the-sky dreams.

"Can you please made your mod work like a AAA game worked on by the best in the industry please?"

It's probably not that hard to do, can't say as I haven't looked into it that much but yeah, it's probably doable, just not up to their standard without a hell of a lot of time. Hmm...

Avocados posted:

Well I can easily say gun game is my favorite game type so far. Funny to see how creative people have been getting when all they have is a drilldo and trip mines. Although whats the range on the Dubstep gun? Feels somewhere between knifing distance and close range..like say Pyro flamethrower range, if you guys have played TF2 lately.

It is about the same as the TF2 flamethrower, I'm pretty sure it does more damage the closer you are too, though I might be mistaken as drat chimera, the other coder did that gun.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Dubstep gun is a great idea, but would be nice to have some sort of feedback as to if it's connecting. If it works just like the TF2 flamethrower than maybe you can give it the same particle effect system with little soundwaves and stuff instead of flames.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

The longer you hold the dubstep gun's trigger the more your vision should get blurry or something. The filthy bass is simply too much for your body to handle.

wubwubwubwubwub

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Postal says:

"Yeah we have features like that we've planned for the gun. It's just right now it's only a very early test, that we decided to throw in for the hell of it. Final result will blur the other players vision, have visual effects to help see the beam, and maybe slow the player being hit by it. And maybe blow up their head. We'll see what we can do."

oh there's more:

postal: oops
postal: add on
postal: also yeah the closer you are the more damage it does.

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010
I've never seen such majesty in video game form and I'd love an invite if you're still offering them.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/rocketbillyredcadillac

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Well that's cool then, you guys are obviously on the right track.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Postal and Cosmic Duck share a moment in an underwater elevator.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y35mnjqeQQc

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 60 minutes!
Buglord

Cool. The premise of the gun was pretty cool but I had no idea whether my shots were connecting or not, aside from looking at the player health. Is it actually Skrillex or just some generic dubstep found online?

damn chimera
Jan 31, 2007

EMERGENCY
EMERGENCY
EMERGENCY

Avocados posted:

Cool. The premise of the gun was pretty cool but I had no idea whether my shots were connecting or not, aside from looking at the player health. Is it actually Skrillex or just some generic dubstep found online?

I dunno one of our sound guys cropped the loops from some songs. I think they still have file data on them on the sounds folder hahah.

But yeah, you should be hearing hitbeeps if you're doing damage like with all the other guns. The thing is so far from done we don't even know what we want it to look like so it's just in there for shits right now.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

So what if you crash and you don't get a crashlog? I don't really want to post an empty log that is like, 'Game crashed when I typed buttz in chat'.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

So what if you crash and you don't get a crashlog? I don't really want to post an empty log that is like, 'Game crashed when I typed buttz in chat'.

Try to reproduce it? If you can do it consistently a report can't hurt.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.

drat chimera posted:

I dunno one of our sound guys cropped the loops from some songs. I think they still have file data on them on the sounds folder hahah.

But yeah, you should be hearing hitbeeps if you're doing damage like with all the other guns. The thing is so far from done we don't even know what we want it to look like so it's just in there for shits right now.

Take the Gluon Gun model and firing effect from Half-life and use that

Except the backpack is a bass or speaker

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
If you guys are still taking suggestions, I'd like to see a couple of Battle Royale variants if you have some time to look at it.

One variant I was kicking around in my mind was one where when you die you can immediately respawn with a different random weapon. Instead of being last man standing, the winner is whoever gets the most kills inside of some pre-determined time limit.

The other variant I was thinking of would be like above, only everyone gets the same weapon, and it just randomly cycles what weapon everyone has every 30 seconds or so.

*edit*^^^^ That is actually a really great idea.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Canadian Surf Club posted:

Take the Gluon Gun model and firing effect from Half-life and use that

Except the backpack is a bass or speaker

Also put Glasses on the front of the gun and have Skrillex type hair combed to the side.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Suggestion for maps; Throw some of those old ratmaps from HL1 in here? the ones set in a house where you were really small and everything was Giant? Those seem like they'd be fun with this.

damn chimera
Jan 31, 2007

EMERGENCY
EMERGENCY
EMERGENCY

DeathSandwich posted:

If you guys are still taking suggestions, I'd like to see a couple of Battle Royale variants if you have some time to look at it.

One variant I was kicking around in my mind was one where when you die you can immediately respawn with a different random weapon. Instead of being last man standing, the winner is whoever gets the most kills inside of some pre-determined time limit.

The other variant I was thinking of would be like above, only everyone gets the same weapon, and it just randomly cycles what weapon everyone has every 30 seconds or so.

*edit*^^^^ That is actually a really great idea.

I actually coded the last one nearly exactly as you put it a while ago, I'm not sure where it went. Maybe for v4????

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

DeathSandwich posted:

Additional idea based off of this: Using smaller maps (or just a high player density in general) have little miniature 30-second rounds with a random single weapon until one man is left standing. Give that man a point. Play until X number of points.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Top Tier Snakes
ultimateforce

Pro Tier Snakes
Postal

Scrub Tier Snakes
(everyone else)

ultimateforce fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 28, 2012

procitizen
May 9, 2010

HYUK HYUK HYUK
I don't know how to introduce this video so just watch it ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS_ZPksBjLg

damn chimera
Jan 31, 2007

EMERGENCY
EMERGENCY
EMERGENCY

PC gaming

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
If anyone else is as excited to be able to play this as I am, and wants to play the original to kill time should hit me up. http://steamcommunity.com/id/seckswrecks

Darkraptor
Feb 5, 2006
How long have you guys been working on this? Seems like it came out of nowhere. Glad it's coming back, really gonna enjoy playing this again.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/darkraptor

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
I'd really love to play this, but I can't even get to the menus. It keeps giving me a "Could not load library client" message.

I've got HL2:DM, CS:S, and the 2007 SDK. I did the thing jimbomcb mentioned with deleting the mod, deleting the Source bin, etc... I've tried verifying files, restarting steam, and restarting my computer. Is there anything that I'm overlooking?

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mutant Headcrab posted:

I'd really love to play this, but I can't even get to the menus. It keeps giving me a "Could not load library client" message.

I've got HL2:DM, CS:S, and the 2007 SDK. I did the thing jimbomcb mentioned with deleting the mod, deleting the Source bin, etc... I've tried verifying files, restarting steam, and restarting my computer. Is there anything that I'm overlooking?

Did you try launching each of those mods before launching Jaykin'?

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

hello I would also like an invite to this computer video internet gaming software community group

http://steamcommunity.com/id/LEMANDROS/

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

The Orange Mage posted:

Did you try launching each of those mods before launching Jaykin'?

Yeah, I did. I even ran through some maps on DM and CS and ran the stress test for the SDK just to be sure.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I can't seem to find more than one server.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

I can't seem to find more than one server.

Uncheck "Show Map List" in the bottom left of the server browser and it should fix it. There's usually only one server with people playing though.

Repelex
Jun 25, 2010

ketchum while they're young
I don't know if invites are still being given out, but here's a try.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/repelex

I'm really digging the new take on gun game. Was that in the first one at all?

jimbomcb
Oct 4, 2011

Mutant Headcrab posted:

I've managed to get it giving me the error on a laptop, I'm trying as hard as I can to find a solution and been banging my head against a wall for the last 5 hours trying everything I can think of without any luck. I'll let everyone know if I work out a fix.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Is there an IRC channel I can stalk, by the way?

Comfortable Shoes
Oct 9, 2011
This all looks great, throw me an invite next time your handing them out!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/orenbenshabat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
If you are still doing the whole invite thing, I would love to play this:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/sadsdwaesadwx

• Locked thread